Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo N12 dump truck parts

turbotech ยท 2012-04-11 09:43

I came across a volvo N12 for sale that is model year 1987. The truck looks like it is decent shape. My concern is getting parts for it if something breaks. I don't see many parts available online. Would a volvo dealer have parts for a truck this old? How reasonable are the prices? From what I saw online, parts are extremely expensive for this truck. I am not sure what engine it has. Maybe a TD120, TD121 and a R-70 transmission. I have driven only Mack. How long do the TD 121 engines & trans go before needing a rebuild? Rebuild kits look like they are 2 to 3 times more expensive than Macks.

Replies8
  1. #1Autocar2012-04-11 10:48

    I have a 1987 Autocar triaxle and get don't have any problems getting any parts , but you better have deep pockets but I guess thats with anything now a days. Good luck Bill

  2. #2MKTEF2012-04-11 13:54

    I'd say prices are high over there vs in Europe. Some parts are used on later models, and can be cheaper. Some parts changed around that production year, can be difficult to find and expensive. Many parts are standard parts used on other trucks too. If you are not in a hurry, parts is cheaper and more available from europe. Over here a engine kit did cost 2000$ pluss work some years ago.(pistons, sleeves, all bearings+gaskets)

  3. #3turbotech2012-04-16 12:21

    Thanks for the help. Are there any online dealers that have the microfiche online? I sometimes buy parts online using the dealer microfiche part numbers. I know I need the drag bar and two tie rod ends that connect the front end to the pitman arm. I also need some engine gaskets too. How can you tell which engine is in the truck in terms of TD121, TD120, etc and what the HP rating is? What do you mean by standard parts. I know the engine and trans is Volvo made. Are the rears and front used on other trucks? Could I get a drag link off another truck?

  4. #4Ikyboy092012-05-06 14:44

    Just let me know if you need any calipers for volvo dump trucks or bell. OEM spec.

  5. #5TCS2012-05-06 20:25

    My brother owns the same truck,same year as a triaxle.He bought it new and it was a good truck mechanically,but after having it rolled over while dumping twice he gave up on it and that mushy Volvo suspension.Consequently the truck has been parked for the past 10 years while his Macks are still going.

  6. #6Ryanrb252012-05-17 22:47

    Unsure if you've purchased this truck....we have a 1990 N10 Volvo...basically the same thing...sourcing parts for these things isn't as bad as first thought. As previously mentioned...alot of parts Valves, clutches, linings etc were still used up to around 2000 if not still being used. Our N10 runs all Volvo gear and has been faultless. Has worked very hard right up until last year. As far as tipping it over it was only a TANDEM tipper so it was very stable. Never once thought she was close to going over. Good honest trucks!

  7. #7TimAllen2012-08-20 22:14

    I think parts would be rare and have a high price, considering that they are made by volvo. Why not check out some scrapyards for parts that could still be used. You could always make use of truck parts on stock . Beats getting new ones too.

  8. #8fastix02013-12-03 14:20

    Mr Turbotech do you still have the volvo n12? Im interested to buy it please let me know, thanks!