Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo no start

Eric Sanderson · 2023-05-30 10:31

Having an issue with a Volvo EC20XT prominent no start. Had originally thought it was a controller issue. But replaced the controller and control timer and the problem still exists. What ever the issue is, its locking out both the starter signal and the fuel cutoff. I can bypass the start trigger and roll the engine over but I have no fuel solenoid control. This is an old unit and the boss is trying to squeeze whatever life out of it he can. He'll trade it in if I can get it to run. But that would be the issue.. Any help would be appreciated

Replies9
  1. #1Mike L2023-05-30 20:44

    So if I understand correctly it is an intermittent no crank issue? Or a crank but no start issue? Either way you may need to call Chadwick Baross in Chelmsford for a schematic. I have seen some of those smaller Volvos have issues with the shut off solenoid but they would turn over. More info please.

  2. #2Eric Sanderson2023-06-01 07:06

    I did call. Used to be WoodCo. The closest he could give me was a diagram for a EC20-C. Completely different. That model uses an ECM (or IECM). The wiring is completely different including wiring numbers. I have a service manual, but the schematics in that are basic at best. No complete wiring layouts. And to answer the question, its a no crank, no start. About one out of 35-40 tries it will kick and run. Other than that, its a paper weight. Something is locking it out. I can run a bypass to the trigger for the starter and get the engine to turn over but without fuel cutoff solenoid control, it won't run. The joystick/arm safety switch works, bench tested every relay and bench tested ignition/key switch. Replaced the controller (gauge cluster) and the control timer (had that issue before) and still have nothing.

  3. #3Mike L2023-06-01 07:18

    Ok. Let’s keep it simple then. Test the key switch. Do you have power in? If so does it send power out when you crank it? Every time? Volvo has a tendency to make things more complicated than they need to be but the fix isn’t always complicated.

  4. #4Eric Sanderson2023-06-01 07:22

    I have power on all terminals including crank signal. Have since I started. That was the first thing I thought of. Had that fail on the EC35.

  5. #5Mike L2023-06-01 07:27

    hey moderaters, can you move this thread over to the excavator section? There is a couple of Volvo guys on here who can probably find you the right schematic If they see this thread. OP can you post the serial number?

  6. #6sfrs42023-06-01 09:54

    Hi Eric, Try this wiring schematic

  7. #7Eric Sanderson2023-06-01 11:33

    That was the only schematic Chadwick-Baross could come up with and it doesn't match. This unit pre-dates the models with an ECU. Thank you though. The effort is appreciated.

  8. #8sfrs42023-06-02 03:02

    Hi Eric are you sure of your machines heritage? I can 100% say that is the correct and only wiring diagram for an EC20XT, could you have a pel job painted up as a Volvo. Do you have a serial number?

  9. #9Eric Sanderson2023-06-02 10:29

    Not in front of me. I do know its a model 263.But I've gone thru that schematic and none of the wire coding matches. I also still haven't found any sign of an IECU. According to Chadwick-Baross, even they can't find anything that goes that far back