Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Just Got My CDL

Zewnten · 2023-06-03 20:41

First off should have done it years ago before the change so that's on me, but finally got through the mandatory class last week and took the test today. Now I get a big boy truck haha. I'm not sure how someone who isn't sponsored by a company or another very understanding support system is going to get through it. Took 1 week to get through the classroom portion, time off to get the permit, then 3 weeks of hands on driving training. Ended up taking much longer than it should have but now I get a real service truck.

Replies36
  1. #11693TA2023-06-03 21:17

    There is a way around the new process easily enough if you know someone that holds a valid Class A CDL, medical certificate, and is willing to take the time. They can get a form from the local issuing state to allow them to teach the individual without compensation. There is an affirmation signature required to no compensation for the training also. Don't think I'd be a good teacher of anything but bad habits, but I have a good friend that needs a CDL so I've sent off for the paperwork, and acceptable materials. He will get the study guide and test at the local office. The instruction permit is issued by them. I won't have to serve as the watchdog over his instruction permit but with my course completion signature he will be able to test at the DMV, or Secretary of State Office for the CDL road test. I understand the private entity teaching does not require the ELD portion of the course required by educational institutions. Basically they disallow individuals from earning compensation but do allow for private individuals to proctor the learning part of the course.

  2. #2CM19952023-06-03 21:25

    Congrats ZT! I remember when we rolled back into the testing facility and the instructor told me I passed. 1693TA is that a state law or the new Fed rules? I've had mine for so long I'm not up on the new testing standards.

  3. #3Zewnten2023-06-03 23:01

    Never heard about that but I doubt the CDL schools are advertising it much either haha.

  4. #4Acoals2023-06-03 23:10

    So basically now there is a bunch of paperwork to fill out when your dad or uncle is going to teach you to drive big truck. Excellent.

  5. #51693TA2023-06-03 23:12

    The guy I purchased my dozer from, (Tony) told me about it and supplied the needed information. I made contact with the Secretary of State office in Springfield and talked to the same gent that he had spoken with and needed paperwork is being sent as they need to certify me as a trainer. I can't answer if that is an Illinois thing only or not, but will be sure to ask. Tony was told most schools now get about $5500.00 for the course and it includes ELD instruction as part of the curriculum. Real educational sham it sounds to me. I was "grandfathered" into the CDL program when it started in 92 so I'm not really up on current standards either. I plan to comply with mandates to do the training to keep my cheeks off the griddle as have several folks I'll help out.

  6. #61693TA2023-06-03 23:17

    If your dad or uncle gets certified to be a trainer, it doesn't seem that bad; but who knows for sure. It may be a pain in the backside for me to get trained and certified; I don't know at this time. I think the scenario interesting at the least and will relay what is learned as we go.

  7. #7AzIron2023-06-03 23:23

    Please do keep us informed

  8. #8Old Doug2023-06-04 08:12

    I just got in on the old system before they changed it. I fill for any one that has to go through all that stuff now. It may help keep some guys out of truck that shouldnt be but it all so keeps some guys out that would be ok.

  9. #9Mike L2023-06-04 08:20

    Congrats zewnten!

  10. #10crane operator2023-06-04 08:46

    Good for you zewnten. Welcome to the random drug pool. I get to notify myself when I get hit with the wizquiz. I've got a employee that is going to need the classes. I just don't want to be without him while he does the classes. If I could do the drive along 40 hours that would be great, but I don't really have time for that either. So you really were off work for a whole month? What a governmental disaster, but the training companies are making a killing.

  11. #11Truck Shop2023-06-04 08:50

    Big question--who is supplying the truck?

  12. #12crane operator2023-06-04 08:59

    The training centers by me supply the trucks and trainers. They are labeled with the training center's name and you see them crawling around all over springfield. You also want to watch out on the northeast side of town, that's where Prime trucking has their school and is puttering around with their trainee's. You want to give them a wide berth.

  13. #13kshansen2023-06-04 09:03

    Not like the old days when dad went to get his license, actually was just a basic drivers license and if you wanted a truck license all he had to do is check off that box on the form! Of course that sometime in the early 1940's in Minnesota! I think the only things he could not drive legal latter in life was doubles or motorcycles as here in NY they did not have separate licenses for them until much later on.

  14. #14Zewnten2023-06-04 09:39

    Luckily for me work paid me the whole time, but yeah a lot of people were there on their own dime. And yeah it's around $6000 for the class on top of not making money. The community college here offers it on nights and weekends, I'd think more people wold need to go that route. Training company supplies the trucks but they're fleet turnovers, pretty close to their last legs. Ended up having to drive a new truck on the day of the test because the main one quit. I think 1693TA's plan is a lot better. If I'd known about it I might have tried that route absolutely if I was a company.

  15. #15Truck Shop2023-06-04 12:21

    I realize that, unlike 99.9% on here my old place of work is where the final CDL tests were given for this area. I know the examiner real well, I saw all the CDL schools with students at least three times a week, event that could last up to 7 hours of testing given how many to test that day. I would be working in the shop and couldn't help but hear, the gear grinding, power steering pump whining from overheating, the air compressor running non-stop, air dryer popping off every 4 minutes, which means the compressor is cooking, and that poor clutch frying beacon. The Teamster/Operators Union has a school that shows up with students, Instructor-It's really hard to make a diamond from a lump of coal.

  16. #16DMiller2023-06-04 13:26

    Here the local Trades or Technical Schools have the duty, no longer a seminar school of a private company pushing out CDL trainees. Testing was done in the Olden Days by MO Brownshirt Testers at MO State facilities where early on a Chauffeurs license was all that was needed, moved to KS, got KS license same deal, moved BACK to MO had to retke written as did not recognize KS license authority but noted I had a MO license prior. Had MO Cauffeyrs for a long time then CDL came about, my own was a grandfather ticket, then got into a seemingly Cushy job let that CDL drop to a Auto General with M'cycle, bad choice as moved BACK to MO had to take all the writtens AGAIN, then using a company truck another mechanic brought along took a 10 mile road test, 5 out/5 return. Class A with NO restricting codes except glasses, STILL carrying that one. This year will end up dropping the Hazmat and Bus endorsements, no longer a defined need, JUST a Class A until we tire of RSH Life. BTW, Congrats Zewnten

  17. #17Old Doug2023-06-04 17:09

    My brother got his around the time i got mine but he had to do the new deal. He had to sign up spend alot of time on line reading taking testing then spent 3 days at a school then went back and done the driving part . He had to show up and weight for a opening to drive . He did the pretrip one day and several days later got called back for the driving part. I cant remember but some were around $3000.00 ?

  18. #18skyking12023-06-04 17:40

    Congrats Zwenten. Welcome to the drug pool as CraneOP said. I'm like that Army commercial, a Poolie of One! @1693TA thank you for that info I will ask around about that in Washington state. If I can do that with a new operator here to replace me, it may make a big difference. I might find a good fit for my replacement with no CDL and I could help fix that.

  19. #19JD955SC2023-06-05 11:59

    Word on the street here is my employer who on one hand screams about needing field mechanics, has decided they aren’t going to pay for anyone to get a CDL. No word yet on whether whoever made that decision is aware there is a mechanic shortage and that one of the routes to fill it is to move people up from the shop into a field truck. Also at the same time we will pay a $5000 referral bonus to any employee who recruits a field mechanic to the company. Makes a lot of sense.

  20. #20crane operator2023-06-05 17:49

    So with 4 weeks of training, did you only end up with a class B to drive a service truck? Or did they spring for the full Class A? I'm debating if I send my guy to get his A- which he's really not ready for, but would make it more worth his time. Or just having him get his B, which is what would be the most help right now for me, but just means that when I want him to get his A, he would have to take all the driving stuff again.

  21. #21Truck Shop2023-06-05 18:12

    I remember the slogan the federal dot put out back in 1993 when everyone had to recertify {Only the Best Will Drive}. Really?. I got my ticket in 1975 from a trucking company to take the written-cost was $10.00. I reexamined in 1993 scored 99 on the written test, the state was short of driving examiners at that time, I and two others were asked to give driving tests. I gave one test. If I could sell my CDL I would.

  22. #22DMiller2023-06-05 19:02

    Had to chuckle on that TS, last time I took my Hazmat Written the test time was UNDER 15 minutes, handed it in and the Women Brown Shirts reviewed. Thought I failed as the Ranking one in the group disappeared to the back office, came back, whispers all around, FINALLY they flagged me to the Desk. Woman looked at me absolutely Serious, stated NO ONE had Ever gotten a 100 in ten years of they giving the tests, I did. They had to call Jefferson City to ask advice, was simple, "He Passed", issue the license. Working Nuke as well being on Plant Fire Brigade HAZWHOPPER was a continuing learning course, had that crap beat into our heads EVERY Six Weeks.

  23. #23Zewnten2023-06-06 17:42

    Had an employer like that. Asked them what I would get in pay and they told me they would see after I was in the truck for a bit. Just laughed at them, no way am I shelling out to make them more profit. Last I heard they're still trying to pressure another mechanic into it.

  24. #24Zewnten2023-06-06 17:43

    Full class A. One coworker didn't even need a CDL but the company wants all field guys to have one so he went too. As for your guy a good company will teach him the basics of a trailer but then he can practice with yours before moving something expensive?

  25. #25Truck Shop2023-06-06 17:58

    Funny thing about trailers-99.9% of the time when you look in the mirror-it's there. Backing-it's all about your state of mind.

  26. #26Mike L2023-06-08 19:45

    So what did you get for a truck?

  27. #27Truck Shop2023-06-09 00:55
  28. #28Mike L2023-06-09 07:30

    That would make me extremely jealous until I watched you try to reach something from the top shelf of a tall cabinet.

  29. #29Truck Shop2023-06-09 09:30

    Anyone who could afford that 953S KW could afford a hydraulically operated elevator that stowed away on each side. Cost of a 953 1.2 million a copy.

  30. #30Mike L2023-06-09 20:09

    What application would warrant a 1.2 million dollar truck?

  31. #31Acoals2023-06-09 20:54

    I dunno, but I want one. I will figure something to do with it . . .

  32. #32Truck Shop2023-06-09 22:05

    The Super Mobile Mechanic that fixes anything and everything. * It's a middle east oil field main mover-no prime-prime is for Prime Rib.

  33. #33Queenslander2023-06-10 07:19

    Not unlike my own experience. In the early eighties I’d had an open car licence for a few years and wanted a truck licence. Small town, knew the sarge reasonably well, fronted up with a two axle truck for the driving test. He said I must know how to drive the thing if I’d made it this far and wrote me out a HR licence, which is for any rigid truck regardless of axle count. From there, some years later, I was able to upgrade to an MC (three trailer road train) licence after half a day’s theory and demonstrating that I was able to reverse a B double for a length or two.

  34. #34Pony2023-06-10 08:44

    Must have been a small Queensland town thing. I was late 80's, but nearly identical story, was working for the local council and borrowed a truck for the test, drove it to the cop shop (by myself). Sarge goes, how'd that truck get here? Err, I drove it Sarge. Without a licence? Err, sorry Sarge, everyone else was busy. Well I guess you can drive it then. Err, yeah I guess I can. Licence was written out and I drove back to work. Ahh, the good old days.

  35. #35Zewnten2023-06-11 14:18

    It's a KW T370. Spent a week so far getting it in shape. Last guy kinda just rode it into the ground as he knew he wouldn't be in it very long.

  36. #36Mike L2023-06-11 17:10

    I’m a little partial to the KW. I inherited one at the dealer and cleaned out the previous 2 tech’s junk. Thought I’d find jimmy Hoffa before I got done. Post up some pics when you get her shiny