Does anybody any any experience working on these engines? We've got 2 90,000# forklifts with this engine in them and I'm getting ready to do some work and don't really have a shop manual. Called around to a few local places and got the parts that I know I need but I've got a few questions that go along with it. First the problem: Water leaking from 2 out of the 6 rubber seals that go inbetween the individual cylinder heads. I pulled the 2 out that water was definitly pouring out of with a seal puller with a little bit of effort. Called around to a few different places...Mack/Volvo dealer....Volvo equipment dealer which referred me to a marine parts shop where I got lucky and was able to get the seals. Had the guy try to get the shop manual and it's out dated. What I need to know if possible: The rubber seals that I removed between the cylinder heads.....Can I lube the new ones up and try to slide them back down between the heads or do I have to remove the individual heads to do this? If this is the case it pretty much creates a domino effect meaning I have to take the whole top end apart. If the heads need to come off what are the specs/procedures when I torque the heads back down? And the specs/procedure for the intake and exhaust valves? The lift doesn't get used that often but it helps out me and another mechanic greatly when our D8s break down and can't limp back to the shop. It's the only lift we have that'll pick em up like nothing and carry them around the terminal. If anybody has a vendor they use in the East Coast area that they like by all means share away... Thanks!
Try calling Gabrielli truck sales in the metro NYC area they are Volvo Mack Kenworth and sterling sales and service. Gabrielli Truck Sales Ltd www.gabriellitruck.com 880 S Oyster Bay Rd, Hicksville 11801 (516) 931-7915
I have a service manual for the TD100G engine, if you need any info pm me, and yes you can pop those seals in between the heads, hopefully thats what is leaking. This engine has a skinny o ring in the counter bore that cooks up and leaves you with a coolant leak that looks like those rubber seals or a head gasket leak, but it's usually the o ring. Good luck.
Thanks Tom....Yea I pulled the 2 worse out of 6 seals out that were definitly leaking. Hopefully between tomorrow and Friday I'll have the seals. If it got hot enough to cook down the seals that go between the heads then you know everything else is about to go. So we'll see what happens. Thanks for the info though