Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo SD115 Regen

ahart · 2022-05-24 13:57

Have a SD115 Volvo smooth drum roller that has been having regen issues since i've been around here (2 1/2 years) Local Volvo dealer has been out on machine several times and usually runs 30-40 hrs and same code pops up again. Diagnostic code that shows up on dash is 326-14 aftertreatment system; special instruction. Only have the ability to see what the code is through the monitor, no testing functionality outside of the dealer, or so i'm told. Anyone have any similar experience or advice that could possibly lead us to a solution to the root cause of the issue? Machine has 3300 hrs on it. Has dpf filter and no DEF system.

Replies13
  1. #1BigWrench552022-05-24 16:13

    What is the specific model? That code isn't coming up in the models I've searched. In my experience special instruction means it needs a forced regeneration. Operators are bad about not performing the parked regeneration and or canceling it because it takes to long. If it is taking a long time to regenerate then I would suspect the temperature sensors. Without a laptop it would be impossible to diagnose the problem. You can shoot the parts cannon at it and replace everything, but you will still need the laptop to restore it. Post your machine model and serial number and all codes active and inactive.

  2. #2ahart2022-05-24 16:14
  3. #3ahart2022-05-24 16:16

    that’s the only code I can get to come up. I do know that it is not the operator causing the issue as that was our first instinct also.

  4. #4BigWrench552022-05-24 18:26

    I believe, but I can be wrong. If you key off and hold down the Wrench button and key while still holding the Wrench button. That will put it into service mode. Then you can see all of the codes that are no longer active. When I return to work tomorrow I will get you more info on that code you posted.

  5. #5BigWrench552022-05-25 07:09

    Ppid 326-14 (soot level too high) Possible causes: high soot load, damaged or clogged dpf filter, incorrect values from the dpf differential pressure sensor. This code means that you will need a forced regeneration. This also means that you will need a laptop that can look at all the values while performing a forced regeneration to see if anything else is causing a problem. Again my experience is that what causes this. Is high idle time and the operator canceling, or not finishing regeneration.

  6. #6ahart2022-05-25 07:18

    Interesting thing is, when you park and try to regen it says soot level low. Cycle key and 326-14 comes back up within minutes. I’ll try to get into service mode and see if there are any associated codes.

  7. #7ahart2022-05-25 11:10

    I have the other codes it has stored. Active: 437-0 Not active: 110-5, 88-5

  8. #8BigWrench552022-05-25 15:36

    437-0 aftertreatmeant injector fuel pressure sensor. The engine control unit that the pressure drop over the dpf is too high. Possible causes: regeneration needed, high soot load in the dpf, hose and or pipe leakage between the dpf and pressure sensor, defective sensor, dpf internal melting and cracking. 110-5 the aftertreatmeant control module short to frame ground (A13) pin on the acm. Possible causes: wire harness problems, defective glow plug, defective glow plug control unit. 88-5 the aftertreatmeant control module registers open circuit (A17) pin on the acm control unit. Possible causes: wire harness problems, glow plug control unit. Sounds like you are having a issue with the glow plug control unit (CU2501) that is the box with the spark plug wires are. That can only be tested with tech tool (laptop). But it will also need a forced regeneration due to the first code you posted.

  9. #9ahart2022-05-25 16:06

    Sounds like we’re at the mercy of the Volvo dealer then. May never get fixed

  10. #10BigWrench552022-05-25 16:46

    You can ship to Dallas and this dealer will fix it.

  11. #11ahart2022-05-25 16:51

    I’d like to, these guys can’t seem to get the best of it.

  12. #12Criss Brock2023-03-15 10:29

    Just had same code same issue. About a year chasing. Ended up pulling dog sent to had cleaned. Replaced pressure sensor. Had Volvo come reset soot level because they were at 180% before dog clean. I went back cleared coded set and started her up so far so good about 120hrs on it since

  13. #13Criss Brock2023-03-15 10:30

    Dpf not dog