Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo TD121gp engine

Newibiner ยท 2023-10-21 18:12

Looking at an Interdrain tile plow that has a td121gp Volvo engine. Any thing good or bad about them?

Replies6
  1. #1funwithfuel2023-10-21 18:52

    If it's the engine I'm thinking, there's a lot of A25 & A30 haul trucks still making money. The only real faults were the coolant plugs between the cylinder heads would leak. Not a big deal. They'd leak a little here and there but no common catastrophic failures to my knowledge. I think the biggest problem was parts availability to support the whole thing, not the engine in particular.

  2. #2OzDozer2023-10-21 22:07

    They're a pretty good reliable engine, but getting old now, so I'd expect you aren't going to get much parts or service support from Volvo.

  3. #3Newibiner2023-10-29 19:21

    I checked the engine over, sounds good. No massive leaks. Appreciate the advice!

  4. #4sfrs42023-10-30 04:40

    But the aftermarket is thriving ;-)

  5. #5OzDozer2023-10-30 05:02

    Agreed. I recently found a local dealer providing a decent range of aftermarket parts and components for Volvo's, going back to early 80's models. A client was looking for a water pump for his old 4400 model Volvo wheel loader, he couldn't get anything from Volvo, but this aftermarket dealer had one on his shelf. Wasn't overly expensive, either.

  6. #6antz2025-07-07 18:12