Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is the purpose of this hydraulic sensor?

keif · 2023-10-18 17:05

It is on the motor for a mud pump on a directional drill. The drill has a water flow meter and a reostat knop for adjusting flow. Is this a rpm sensor for the meter or could it be some kind if actuator to control pump pressure? Or something else? It had 3 wires going to it. Thanks for reading.

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2023-10-18 17:29

    With the locknut it looks very much like a speed sensor. If you remove it (make sure to maintain the adjustment) I’ll bet there is a gear of some sort directly underneath the sensor nose.

  2. #2keif2023-10-18 18:35

    Thank you. That's what I was thinking.

  3. #3Vetech632023-10-18 19:24

    Definitely a speed sensor.

  4. #4skata2023-10-20 17:57

    Unplug it and you'll find out

  5. #5JD955SC2023-10-22 21:04

    Speed sensor. Three wire means it’s an active powered sensor, Hall effect type I’m guessing instead of the two wire passive magnetic pickup.

  6. #6keif2023-10-25 12:49

    I found the diagram for it. My fluid meter display is broken. Any chance this sensor puts out a 0-12v signal so I could just use a multimeter to monitor it while waiting for a new one.

  7. #7Nige2023-10-25 15:00

    I would’ve thought the output of that sensor would be a square waveform of some sort

  8. #8JD955SC2023-10-25 21:10

    I want to say no. Something’s sitting in the back of my memory saying these sensors have a constant duty cycle unlike a PWM position sensor.

  9. #9heymccall2023-10-25 22:01

    It's akin to a car Wheel Speed Sensor. On a car, if I connect a multimeter set to AC, the millivolts output rises the faster that I spin the wheel. It is essentially a square wave. I believe the technical term is a "Hall Effect" sensor?

  10. #101693TA2023-10-25 22:30

    It is a "Hall Effect" pickup. The rise and decay of the output pulse is too fast to see on a multimeter but an oscilloscope shows a true representation of the output signal. Passed through a comparator circuit the actual speed of the rotating shaft can be determined. Most multimeters are average responding and this is a blend, or homogenous display of the actual waveform; basically a representation. This can be useful in itself if a "look up" table has been created to use this data in a useful format. Basically a shaft speed could be 1800rpm and the output average output voltage be 12VDC. If the shaft rpm is arbitrarily increased, or decreased, this average voltage display/reading will either increase, or decrease. This data incorporated, and interpreted correctly can be a very valuable tool to even the most novice of troubleshooter.

  11. #11keif2024-01-09 11:39

    I got a new display for the "water flow meter" and the sensor works. You can set up display to either count up or show rpms. I use it in rpm mode.

  12. #12MarshallPowerGen2024-01-09 22:50

    Hall Effect is an on/off and can be tested if you can rotate it manually. With a meter it will jump from showing zero volts to your reference voltage fed into it coming out of the output wire.