Volvo A35E Serial # - VCE0A35EC00010230 The machine will shift up 2 or 3 gears to about 20 mph; Then flash a stop sign , down shift and then will not run more than 10 mph. There is no stop sign in reverse. It will operate as fast as you care to go. I changed the filters and saw no debris to speak of. Checked relays and pulled codes. See pictures for codes. Planning on dropping the pan and inspecting. Is there anything particular I should be checking for elsewhere?
I realize you're using generic software. There doesn't seem to be a PPID 511 under MID130. If you scroll through the display panel, using the keypad, you may be able to find the code Volvo uses for troubleshooting.
By your description, I would be looking at the door switch(SE8301) if that is ok, I would look to the pressure sensor for ground dependent pump(SE9103) If your pressure differential is too great between ground pump and working pumps, it'll generate a code and limit you to second or third gear.
Could you walk me through the procedure? Thanks for the information. At this point I have no service manuals or working knowledge of these machines, so I appreciate any help you can give me on it.
Bottom line, if the open door character shows on the display when you hit third, the switch is out of adjustment or failed. Check fuse 5, it feeds that sensor. The sensor is above the door on the tether. It is a proximity switch. Make sure the wiring isn't hurt. On the display panel, bottom left panel is info. On far left panel, is keypad. Press the gear key. That will bring up trans menu. Then scroll down to errors
The only code I could get was under number 6 the wrench. SE5204-4 does this tell you any thing. Thanks
please see attached, error is for failed wiring or switch for applied brakes. Measuring instructions are include as well. Good luck.
Could this cause the issues.
1 is the seat belt fastened when this occurs? 2 Is the door closed? What alarm or warning is displayed when this occurs? Can you grab a picture of the warning?
I will check it out and get pictures tomorrow. Thanks
New problem. The secondary steering system symbol is on. This has just started related? When you start out it shifts up 2 or 3 times fine when it go to grab the next gear it drop back down and continues to up and down shift.
Under the back RH corner of the cab, is the steering and work valve. On the outer right is a sensor, make sure the wiring is not damaged and that the sensor is not leaking. Do you have gauges and hoses? That would be the next step. Verify the ground dependent pump is producing the correct pressure to satisfy the sensor. Odds are the sensor is failing.
No abnormal junk in the pan. I'm going to check solenoid and wiring is there any other things I should look at?
Check the oil in the dropbox? That's what drives the ground dependent pump
Is it a direct drive pump? I tried to buy a services manual from Volvo today and was told they don't sell them anymore.
The pump for ground dependent speed is driven off the Dropbox. Dad pump only produces pressure when the machine is moving. If the trans DCU sees that you are moving but does not have sufficient pressure on the steering circuit it will throw up to warning and limit your speed. It's all safety driven it does not want you to get into trouble. Follow the driveshaft back to the central gearbox from the front axle directly above that prop shaft you will see the ground dependent pump that Box is prone to failure check the fluid level make sure you don't have garbage inside of it. I would still be looking at that sensor before I went in full the trigger on tearing apart your Dropbox.
We been getting a lot of rain the last couple of day. So I have not had a lot of time in on it yet. There is two sensor on the valve one on right side looking at it from behind and one on the front pointing towards the engine. Wire look good neither are leaking. I pick one up to install if one tested bad witch one is it? Is there a speed sensor on dropbox?
Oil level in drop box looks good. Oil is clean. There is a sensor on the top right side of drop box is that a speed sensor?
Round , the size of your thumb , with 2 wires? If so, yes.
Do you think the secondary steering and the shifting problems are related? I bought an online shop manual but it doesn't give a exploded view of drop box so am assuming it's all direct gear drive. If that's the case I would assume there not related.
The ground dependent pump supplies steering pressure should the engine fail and you are on a grade. For safety sake, you have steering. When the machine is moving above 4-5 mph, if the pump has not satisfied the sensor and computer, you will be limited. In other words, it won't allow you to put yourself in danger. If you had a clutch or brake band failure, it would code for that failure.
The pump hangs on the front of the dropbox just above the oil cooler. Yes , direct drive splined.
Thanks for all the input and patience. I put a new sensor on steer and work valve. They are two so I test ran in one location then moved it to the other no difference. The filter behind the cab is clean. I'm thinking the pump is down in psi. Or it is dumping pressure somewhere.
Sorry for the delay, been crazy here.
To illustrate how the pump is mounted to the dropbox
Before you get to thinking the pump has failed, check the engaging sleeve between the pump and the gear in the dropbox, if this is damaged it could be slipping and not providing drive for the pump.
Finally got it in the shop this week. Had no pressure being generated by the ground driven pump. Removed pump to inspect coupler and pump. Someone had removed the coupler. Cleaned everything up and installed new coupler. Test ran. Fitting on top of pump was spraying fluid. Removed it and discovered someone had welded the fitting back together. And the o rings were not sealing. Replaced fitting, test drove and everything checked out. I can only assume the fitting got broke on a job, and someone made an attempt to fixing it. When that did not work they pulled the coupler to get it off the job. Then we bought it at auction. Thanks for the help.