Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Vortec v6 engine

Stephan1 · 2023-11-29 20:22

Can anyone confirm the torque specs on a Vortec v6 Toyota forklift engine? The agents aren't very helpful. Does 60 foot pound sound right?

Replies20
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2023-11-30 09:06

    4.3L? What parts are you torquing down?

  2. #2Stephan12023-11-30 15:22

    The heads.

  3. #34x4ford2023-11-30 15:38

    If it’s a 4.3 vortech that is a gm engine might help your search don’t have my manual with me for torque specs though

  4. #4Stephan12023-11-30 16:58

    I believe its a GM motor. I just dont know where to get the specs.

  5. #5Old Growth2023-11-30 18:54

    A GM motor in a toyota forklift? Odd?

  6. #6MarshallPowerGen2023-12-02 01:52

    From the manual: Cylinder Head Bolt (Preferred Method) All Bolts First Pass in Sequence 30 N•m 22 lb ft Long Bolts Final Pass in Sequence 75 degrees Medium Bolts Final Pass in Sequence 65 degrees Short Bolts Final Pass in Sequence 55 degrees

  7. #7Stephan12023-12-02 05:27

    Not really that odd considering there's Crown forklifts running with John Deere engins.

  8. #8Chrisso2023-12-02 09:04

    I thought that too when I did a water pump on one years ago.

  9. #9Birken Vogt2023-12-02 10:57

    The 4.3 GM is a common industrial engine, probably PSI branded, they do a large number of industrial GM and other engines.

  10. #10Junkyard2023-12-02 13:29

    I’ve seen a bunch with KEM power GM engines as well. Lots of 4.3’s and 3.0 4 cylinder GM.

  11. #11Old Growth2023-12-02 14:12

    Toyota is usually not known for whoring themselves out to other manufacturers. Just kinda struck me odd. Never seen a relationship with gm/toyota before. Odd

  12. #12Birken Vogt2023-12-02 15:10

    They probably just did not have an engine in house that fit the bill. They needed a 4.something propane engine. They don't make one themselves. So they go buy one elsewhere. The 4.3 GM platform is a very good industrial engine.

  13. #13mekanik2023-12-02 15:38

    I used to maintain a Doosan forklift with a GM 4.3 Vortec in it.

  14. #14Birken Vogt2023-12-02 15:49

    That 4.3 engine is everywhere. It is (don't know if they still make many) the smallest common engine. There is a 3.0 GM 4 banger also but it is harder to get, I don't think they make many.

  15. #15Stephan12023-12-18 21:58

    So I've got the head back on, torqued and everything. But not starting. Set to 12 BTDC as shown by the marks on the crank shaft. Plenty of spark. LPG into the separator but not smelling much coming out. Is the crank shaft pulley on a rubber damper? Any ideas? Or should I look for another profession?

  16. #16Junkyard2023-12-18 22:35

    Do you have good compression? Is that engine only propane? If so make sure it’s not missing one of the little plugs where the injectors would be. Propane engines are old sensitive to vacuum. If it’s low for one reason or another it won’t run right. Regulator and mixer in good shape? Valve stem seals, valve seats good?

  17. #17Birken Vogt2023-12-18 23:26

    Blast some flammable brake cleaner in the intake while cranking and the fuel turned off. If careful you can get it to run even well on brake cleaner. Turn the propane back on if you are able to get some RPM this way and then you can see if it takes off on propane. One caveat, it is easy to flood the air intake system with puddles of brake cleaner this way and that will make it get over rich/behave strangely. It is a bit of a dance to make it all work this way. Or maybe find a vacuum hose on the manifold and squirt some in with a straw squirter.

  18. #18Old Doug2023-12-19 07:37

    It would be a long list if someone know all the manufactures that used GM engines . Royals Royce used their automatic trans at one time.

  19. #19terex herder2023-12-19 07:45

    The 4.3L is 3/4 of the small block Chevy. Most all vehicles with that engine installed will fall apart around a good running engine. Probably the most durable engine GM has ever produced, going on 60+ years of development.

  20. #201693TA2023-12-19 07:53

    I replaced an a/c compressor, (GM "Frigidaire" A6) and recharged the system on a "Silver Shadow" many years ago. I want to say that car had a GM transmission also.