Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

W3500 chevrolet

maddog ยท 2009-10-06 15:27

Hey all, I don't post a lot here but really do enjoy the forum{especailly all the pictures}. My question is I am looking at getting a W3500 chevrolet small to medium dump, what should I look for? I do have mechanical skills and do all of my own maintanence on tractor small dozer mini ex and other vehicles. It does need tires and I will do all oil changes etc.... It has 93,000 and is a 1999. Everything seems to work allright except for tires, week battery, and a short at the back lights. Also are these a decent truck and what should expect out of it, power wise? I'm also wondering how much the dump should be able to lift, I believe it's about a 12' flatbed dump? Thanks for any info, I try searching the net but all that comes up is sales. :drinkup

Replies12
  1. #1Dualie2009-10-08 22:30

    Nothing i would call a powerhouse. Parts and service are hard to come by. GM is exiting the medium duty market and has zero obligation to support any of their vehicles over 10 years old. I Don't know if Isuzu The actual builder of the W series trucks will support any of the GM badged trucks. Is this truck gas or diesel?

  2. #2maddog2009-10-09 09:37

    It is a diesel with 5sp manual trans. I like the idea of a cab over design for getting into tight spots{owned a 91 freight shaker tractor}.

  3. #3Kgmz2009-10-09 12:03

    Like mentioned before not a powerhouse, I think it only has 145 hp maybe 175 depending on which motor it has. But you should be able to get almost all parts at a Isuzu truck dealer.

  4. #4maddog2009-10-09 12:58

    Thanks for the info. Like I said the truck is in good shape except for tires and battery/s. I just wanted to know if things like brakes, tie rods, ball joints etc are available, the normal wear stuff?

  5. #5Dualie2009-10-13 20:37

    as i recall the brakes are $$$. I might be getting them confused with the UD trucks though.

  6. #6maddog2009-10-15 08:04

    Yep looks like brakes are up there. Oil filter was 40.00+ but I think the NAPA I went to screwed me{not the 1st time}. So far the truck seems okay, like said not a huge power house but seems like it will get what I need done. I did put 2.6ton of crushed rock on it dumped a little slow but seemed allright. I'm going to go through it and fix all the little stuff that seemed to have gottin ignored over the years. Thanks again for the info.

  7. #7maddog2009-12-16 08:27

    UPDATE: Thanks to those that gave input. The truck is perfect for what I needed, runs great, stronger then I expected. I did get a chance to haul some crushed number 2 stone{around 30+ ton} worked without trouble. Parts aren't going to be that hard to come by Isuzu garage about 45 miles away{basically same truck as an NPR}. Works great in tight areas, plan on doing much more once winter leaves.

  8. #8tuney4432009-12-17 09:58

    Check Bryan's prices at Fleetfilter--he has Wix and Napa Gold--his prices and service is hard to beat.Stock up on inventory and save on shipping.

  9. #9ruet662009-12-17 17:46

    Anyone here ever tried to pull start a dump truck? I have one that I have to move this weekend that hasn't been started in over 3 years. I put three new batteries on it, cleaned all the connections, rebuilt the starter and still the same result...it turns over like the batteries are nearly dead. I even ran a pair of 00 gauge cables directly from the batteries to the starter...same results. I'm considering towing or pulling it to start it, but have never done this with a truck this big. Anyone here ever done it? If so, do you have any advice?

  10. #10tuney4432009-12-17 22:44

    You either have a partially seized engine there or some electrical resistance.I wouldn't pop the clutch on this,something might just break. I'd get it checked out.

  11. #11ruet662009-12-18 10:46

    Thanks for the reply. The engine turns over as it should with a 1 5/16" socket and 3/4" ratchet. I'm thinking it must be electrical. Also, I just learned today, that there are multiple starters used for these trucks. The most popular being a Delco 40MT and a Delco 50MT. The 50MT has a little more torque and I'm leaning in that direction now.

  12. #12CinOK2009-12-18 23:45

    What size truck what trans does it have in it.Do you have a way to air the brakes up if it is air brakes. Do not do not back them off air it up. No problem to pull start unless there is a mechanical problem such as oil pressure or something else. You do not need a big truck to pull it. Many night when i was running heavy duty i would take our 1 ton to pull start bobtails or empty dumps.