Have a komatsu wa 500 wheel loader getting hydraulic oil into transmission oil. The hydro oil will go down after a couple days and when you open the transmission cap off oil just runs out like it’s why over full. Just wondering if anyone seen this issue. I had a cat dozer do something similar cause the seal on a pump that mounts on transmission was bad so the hydro oil was going into the transmission.
Some loaders have an emergency steering pump on the front of the transmission that leak into the transmission. Bob
The older Komatsu wheel loaders had that happen all the time. The main and switch pumps would start leaking into the transmission case. Aluminum bodied pumps start getting loose when they get old the additional leakage puts too much pressure on the input shaft seal. Getting them out to replace them is not a piece of cake either. Not much room in there to work.
If this WA500 is designed anything like the 1996 WA600 they have at the quarry where I worked there were two pumps mounted to the back of the torque converter. The problem would be figuring out if one or both were leaking, can't think of any easy way to check short of removing and inspecting. I suppose you could remove and while still assembled pressurize with air or oil, never tried it but something to at least think about. The pumps on the WA600 were not the worst pumps I ever had to pull but agree it was not a job I looked forward to doing. Worst might be the 980G I believe it was the Series 2 where the first step in the remove pump instructions was 1. Remove Cab! Actually not a bad job but sure got the attention of the boss when he come in shop to see the machine laying in pieces like that!
What dash number is your WA500? Most models of WA500's have an emergency park brake release switch or valve that will allow the park brake to be released, if the engine can be operated. This function was added so the park brake could be released, for towing, using hydraulic oil if the transmission controller failed or major electrical fault. I would check either the switch position or the valve before diving into pumps.
The early WA600 was a piece of cake compared to the 500. There is no access behind the cab on the 500 and the pumps are down next to the frame on the operator's left side. You can't get a crane square onto the pumps to lift them out. It is a finger getter. You have to muscle them back in mostly on your own. I think coalrulz is correct in supplying the dash number or at least the serial number of the machine. They likely have changed some since I had to work on them.
Good info at least I got a starting point now.
Worst part about the pumps on the WA600 at the quarry was what I called the "steel brick" on the bottom of the right hand pump. Very heavy and no easy way to hold in position to start the bolts. I believe ours was an early machine that was updated at the factory before shipping. As I recall that "brick" had a plug welded in it to block off a hole that was bored in during manufacture. The weld on plug cracked and we removed the brick once and rewelded it and it held for a couple years. Next time it started leaking removed and had it welded a second time that one only lasted about a day! At that point we ordered a new "brick" and last I knew it was holding, but I did retire about a year after that! But all this talk is not helping Lewis12! Sorry Lewis!!
No problem. Yeah I was pretty sure it’s got to be a pump mounted on the tranny with a bad seal pumping hydro oil into the trannsmission. Just got to pull and inspect.
We always had to tear the pumps down and check the input shafts. For the most part we just ended up replacing the pumps with new. At the dealer we tried rebuilding the pumps but the aluminum cases are only good for a little more than 5,000 hours. They either end up leaking or breaking the case.