I have a 4 axle w990 tractor with a three axle General detachable neck 60 ton low bed trailer. What will I need to obtain permit wise to haul a 28000 pound Kenworth c500 out-of-state on that combination? I am legal in WA to 136k on 7 axles
What's your empty weight? I can't help you, but I'm curious.
52k
That should put you at 80000 which is legal anywhere as long as you are within the axle limits and bridge length I know some states are pretty strict on axle spread
Ok, thank you. It is this C500 I need to haul back from Chico.
So, you'd only be 80k. A regular truck would need a trip permit from Or and Ca, and fuel permits, if you aren't apportioned and ifta registered. I got no idea about any special length and etc. permits cause I never ran the left coast. Also, I have refused to let my trucks leave SC for a few years, so I am just wasting your time with obsolete info.
When you get to Shasta scales/inspection port of entry they will set you up with permits. You will need one for the extra axles. If you were pro-rated you would be covered, anymore pro-rate covers all 48. Or you can call Cal DOT and they will tell you straight up. Get yourself a gallon of giant black olives while your there
Damn TS, Always hitting with the facts!!
Will it fit in the well? and if not, do you have ramps by your trailer axles deck to back the drive axles up on the tail? The c500 isn't over width up front is it? Looks like a lot of offset in the steer axle rims.
I have full fenders for running the grader on. 21' well.
Nice lowboy!
Nice bed . We usually run my tandem steer cranes so the wheels fit on the bolsters. A bit of tricky blocking ,fill the air bags and off we go. Hope to see some pictures of that truck,looks like a good find. Have a good trip!
Thank you TS! It's an 87 General 60/70 ton it was originally built as a tandem axle and went back to General and had the airlift third installed.
Thank you! I hope to be able to go get it this next week. I'm looking forward to building up the truck And I'm undecided if I'm going to yank the 6V 92 and replace it with something more powerful or not now or wait til it grenades.
It's a two stroke-grenades is a nice last option. But there is room for a nicely built 7FB Cat.
With the side drop trailer, its a pretty big jump to get tires up on your bolsters. If you need a crane to get it up on there, I'd better leave now, its a long way to calif. Nice looking lowboy for a 87. I've got a 95 talbert 50 ton and I've got to keep a eye on it for rusty areas and stress cracks. Its not built near that heavy on the rear.
I have a 653 laying around if you want more noise and like shifting.
Yah buddy, heavy on the noise and torn rotator cups.
My 70 ton crane is around 95,000lbs with a 6v92, and while its geared pretty low (6.53), aren't you wanting this for pulling your big yarder? I'd hate to add another 40-50,000 to my crane and haul that around with the 6-92. If you're taking the time to shorten it up, you just as well do what you want power wise while its down. Otherwise you'll get to using it and won't ever get to replacing it. I've got a big cam cummins sitting on my shop floor, that I was going to repower a crane with 8-9 years ago. Air to air B model cat? Add a air to air, motor mounts and some minor wiring and gauges. If you found a KW donor you could swap mounts and everything.
A Model- not much of a way for air to air-It has been done but engine has to be moved back and radiator. That looks like the grille on that one is a AC denser. A air charge cooler possibly could be fitted behind bumper/custom made. Straight B model with 500 hp kit.
I'm liking the 3406 idea. It has 6.83 gears so it won't even see 50!
Better photo
The old B model Water jacket cooled Cats were good engines, do it right the first time and you won't have any problems.
Here's another question, if I get the wheelbase shortened up enough do I still need to run a carrier bearing drive shaft? I'm thinking I'm going to take a good eight feet out of the wheelbase.
That rig probably has a .250 wall drive tube with lets say 1810 u-joints, the max length or industry standard is 72 to 74" on drive shaft length. And it all depends were the front drive sets when done.
Thank you, I was curious what the CS limit/Length is on that drive shaft.
Hows the tandem steer going to be for bush work ? A friend i work with has a tandem steer picker and give s truth to give me 40 acres to turn this rig around when we are out in the bush.
Not sure? Never been around one before?
any twin steer i`ve dealt with` and not many of them were really awkward to turn around
Couldn't be any worse than this to maneuver around the woods?
Haven't been to California for a while ? The port got moved to Hornbrook . Anyway best idea to call Caltrans before you go and have your permits in hand, much easier to find info at the office than over the phone 400 miles from home. Good luck Bob
Warren at Butte Valley Equipment Repair is taking a B model out of a Pete right now.
No I haven't don't find a need to, but I was thinking 97 south. next after shasta should be cottonwood.
There are still truck scales at Dunsmuir and a bug station at Dorris but the port of entry is at Hornbrook on I-5
With lift axles as long as you can scale out your axle weights with them up I wouldn’t think you would need permits for the extra axles
That Bug station at Dorris was closed back in the 70's. I never heard of it reopening, and I would find that odd there is no port of entry coming off 97 south at Weed. Dunsmuir Canyon/Shasta are the same. The reason for the D&S scales was to catch every thing on I-5 and 97 going south, that's a short distance between two scales. It is a matter of length, bumper to trailer tail lights. multiple axles other than a two axle trailer and three axle tractor are not legal with out permits.
Current Cal Trans Scales map. https://dot.ca.gov/programs/traffic-operations/cvef/weigh-stations
And Hornbrook is listed as bug inspection station, Dorris is operational as a bug station but only certain hours. I'm surprised it's been reopened it had nothing but weeds around it full of bugs.
Hornbrook below-it's a coop and bug inspection for semi's with cars on left.
Dunsmuir/Shasta full port of entry.
What is that running for tires? I think the wider floats hurt the twin steer, but it looks like you've got a lot of offset on the rims, if they have the stops adjusted right, that will help. I've got one carrier on 12.00 20's that doesn't turn too bad. I mean it won't turn super tight, but the twin steers sure help if its soft compared to single steer and a tag axle you have to pick up for traction. If the fifth wheel is ahead and you've got some weight up on the steers. Especially considering your going to shorten the wheelbase a bunch, I think it will be okay. Really the twin steer shouldn't steer any worse, than a truck that has the same wheelbase from front steer axle to tandems.
That was my thought. I just want a purpose built yarder mover. What do you guys think of SSHD rears,
Throw a four speed Brownie in there, then you'll have nice short drivelines!
I don't know never seen any I'm sure everyone else knows.
Auxiliary transmission, common configuration would be Deep under, Under, Direct, and Over. Deep under is handy as hell for steep pulls and rough terrain, though it sounds like you have the butt gears for that already.
DP 461's-Spicer 1241D
Hopefully have it home by next weekend, kinda anxious to do the build!
I have often thought of crane carriers for off highway uses like yours. Rigid frame,planetaries and big load capacities. I have a 75 Ton in the yard That's rated for over 50 tons on rubber as well as its upper weight of just under 40000 lbs. They are always well geared ,but under powered. Its not often you see the whole crane get more than 10K at Ritchies. Be an interesting beast ,repowered with a Kenworth cab on it. I hate seeing that stuff cut up, I have a small lorain carrier 6X 6 short wheel base , as well as a 4460 carrier and some planetary rears waiting for some project.
Most of the dump trucks on the road here have two steering axles. They definitely do not turn as well as a single steer but they are not that bad
SSHD’s are getting a little challenging parts wise. Not impossible but not as easy at it used to be. At least around here. I’m all in on the swap to a 7FB jwac cat. Find one with a brake saver if’n ya can. I sure do miss mine. If you didn’t watch the pyro on it you’d fill the pan with aluminum! They cackle so nice and have a good throaty sound. Ugh. I should go buy my 359 back and be done with it.
Oh and the right lowboy hand could be home with that truck without permits and ahead of schedule
That's how I roll!
Funny how things roll state to state ,or state to province. I have a 49 International KB5 that's mint down to the chrome hub caps. The guy I bought it from stuck new rubber on it and chugged all the way from Oregon to BC , drove up I 5 at night cause the old girl was a bit slow. I had to hand him high marks for patience and perserverance. I bought a little Bantam truck crane that would have drove up here , but found a ride on one of Bronco s step decks for 750.00 from Buckley Wash.
Oh, and while we are shooting the schyeet I should introduce you to Trixie. She moved in today.
Dude that’s badass. I just talked myself out of moving to WA and you drop that on me....FML. 38% of what.....
I always liked the look of your loggers when they ran a simple pole trailer on 5 axles and shorter stakes running down the road with half a dozen nice fir berries on them. Just looked like they would last forever. Here they always run maxed trying to make up for the off highways and our last logging railroad that are gone.
Ah, Spicer... showing my upbringing I suppose, every auxiliary in my world was called a "Brownie" because Brown-Lipe originated them. Figures a rig like that would come with one.
SSHDs were the 44K rated RW axles with the appearance of the SQHDs, most were in Dump/Mixer chassis and they utilized similar Power Divider section(Would interchange/bolt up) which was THE weakest part of the SQHDs, bigger carrier and banjo housings, Second issue was Front Diff Pinion nut walking off, would know when happened as the burn mark showed on front of pot. Side gears and carrier reasonably heavier SSHD than SQHD but Eatons would be a Better gear.
Oh how a beautiful A model warms my heart.....
Not to hi-jack or plug this old critter I have but imagine it with bunks and a General long logger. It lived it's life in Easton owned by Graham Bros logging, I saw it in 1972 with a six log load. When building it I made it just so I could change it out to a old long logger. I have available quite a few old long log trailers and bunks, a aluminum bang board would fit real nice.
Ok, let the photos flow!!!
Here yo go Hallback, 25 pages of amazing photos: HeavyEquipmentForums
You should see the beauty in person, it's an awestruck ordeal in itself. Don't ask questions just absorb it in smile and acknowledge the work. Might drop by again one day myself to see more of it after Covid-19 disappears to the history books.
Thanks guys! It is a true piece of American blue collar art & history. You done damn good TS!
Did you pick up that 500?
Not yet. A buddy has his lowbed coming thru there in a week & a half so he will grab it then.
Sunny day cruise.
and in an a model 900 at that
Looks like Hwy 101 out there
That's actually highway 7 between mineral and Morton. A lot of the same type of topography though.
These two rigs would work great for your operation.
I like that steel fendered planetary truck!
Loaded up & headed north. Lurch will be here Wednesday morning.
That looks like Corning or Red Bluff.
Not sure where he was at, he has family in Redding though.
Made it's way north!
Looks good. That's quite the homemade double air cleaner set up. Has it got a master and slave hydraulic steering? Probably going to have to get the torch out to remove that front bumper and jack assembly, I bet they welded that right to the frame.
Just mount the yarder right on that beast, already has 1 jack!
Ha! I am going to pull the cylinder & chop the towers off of the bumper & keep it as it has toolboxes built into it. Not sure on the master & slave steering? It does have dual boxes though.
That's way cool. There was a twin steer long-logger running around the area (Talmo?) way back. I guess it didn't work too well in that application.
I remember a black Freightliner with twin steers about 15 years ago hauling logs around here, always wondered about how he liked it.
That was the one!
Mark Chloupek had that truck then sold it to a guy on the harbor/peninsula area. Mark said it was hard on rails