Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

WA450 grey/m coolant in oil after throttle stuck,

WYOBOY ยท 2011-11-03 21:13

I have a wa450 grey market loader, the throttle stuck for a while at wot, not sure how long before the operator got it shut down, from what I gather it was 20 min or less, he also stated it did not over heat. Granted thats what he told me so I don't know if its the truth or if he was telling half the story because he also told me he caught the coolant and drained it out of the oil pan before it got bad. But then told the guy that hauled it to the shop it filled up until it came out of somewhere it shouldn't. ??? It seems to run just fine, no damage from the sounds of it and it sat for 2 years and didn't gain any coolant in the oil while sitting. I am assuming its going to need sleeves but does anyone know if there might be other ways for this to happen. Best way to diagnose it? Or is there any known problems. Its a komatsu engine the book I have says its mod. 560125-1 or S6D125-1 ( hard to read the writing in the book and can't tell, the first and third if they are numbers or letters.

Replies8
  1. #1Ricemiester2011-11-03 21:30

    Honestly i dont see how holding the throttle wide open would hurt the engine, especially if it wasnt under a load. But the fact that you said coolant was drained from the oil pan!? Sounds like a bad oil cooler, not for sure on that machine but i don't believe it has sleeves. So are you running the machine now? Does it still have the same problem?

  2. #2WYOBOY2011-11-03 21:44

    No haven't ran it other than started it a few times here and there. Wouldn't a bad oil cooler cause oil in the coolant since its a pressurized system vs the coolant which only pressures when hot. Or am I wrong? I was wondering about injector cups, if there is a way for coolant to make it into the oil there. I am mechanically capable but not on this motor and my service manual sucks for any kind of detail. Now I need to find out if there are sleeves.

  3. #3MRRPM2011-11-03 22:56

    Yes, that is a sleeved motor for sure. You've prolly got a sleeve leaking. I had one leaking in my S6D125 in my PC300LC-3, along with a lot of other problems, it'll be running next week.

  4. #4WYOBOY2011-11-03 23:53

    What where the other problems, when this one stuck the throttle it was from a broken injection pump, could have over fueled, not sure if it can over rev. MRRPM Whats the damage on the wallet, will I be needing pistons and sleeves? or more? Good place to get parts? Thanks for the reply's, I just took owner ship of this thing so I have some learning to do and around here theres not much local help (small town)

  5. #5MRRPM2011-11-04 08:15

    Mine had a fuel pump leaking fuel into the engine oil, thinning out the oil, causing turbo & main bearing failures. This engine is high hours, (over 14000) been patched up a few times, finally time for a full rebuild. I bought a KMP kit, like $2200. also a oil pump, around $500. had the crank turned, $300 fuel pump rebuilt $1200, line bored it myself, new turbo $1000, having the injectors checked too, no bill on them yet. So I'm about $5200 so far in parts, not including my employees labor to remove & replace the motor. It should be a really good engine after this.

  6. #6WYOBOY2011-11-04 11:28

    I will probably start by pulling the oil pan and pressure the coolant system and look for coolant running or spraying out, Whats a KMP. This one says 17776 hrs, not sure if its ever been done. I wont be using it much mainly a yard machine to move stuff around and hopefully turn it and get something smaller.

  7. #7MRRPM2011-11-04 11:33

    KMP is the brand name of the aftermarket rebuild kit I'm using. If your machine has that many hours on the engine, it's time for a mojor overhaul, IMO.

  8. #8WYOBOY2011-11-04 16:38

    I don't want to have that much in it but prob will unless it looks perfect when I tear into it.