I need some help with a brake drum removal on a 1960s Wabco grader I have pulled the wheel & tire, the 3 inch castle nut, screwed in 2 puller bolts and cranked them down with a cheater, heated the hub and beat on everything I could get to with a 10 pound sledge and nothing wants to move. Anybody have any ideas or advice?
You will need to pull it off with a hydraulic press. Those hubs are on there with 50-60 tons.
is the tolerance between the hub and the spindle that tight? what are the 7/8s threaded puller bolts for?
Similar ? http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.php?23763-212-grader-brake-drum-removal-question
Those are for puller legs. It is a tapered shaft and the hubs are pressed on and off.
Removed many Champion hubs using a heavy crossbar drawn taught against the shaft (nut left near flush) and a blow from a 20 lb hammer to release. That has a tapered key way. Hydraulic would be the most efficient especially for proper reinstallion and likely necessary if yours is a tapered spline. Champion hub nut torque is 2500 ft pounds. Thank someone for wet disc brakes.