I just bought a Wabco 888 Motor Grader. ive got the manuals , parts catalog ect. Is there any old timers with some insight on this machine. checked the web and its like it didnt exist. I know its made from 1967-1974 8v71 43,000lbs (our scale weight) 20.5/25 tires all around . A buddy told me wabcos eat axles. i hope not. Anybody have a clue where you can still get parts?. The machine i got seems in good shape for a 1969. still has some original tires on it (in good Shape!) original motor, circle still looks new .Its like someone hid it away in 1985 and then bam i got it.(4 blown hydraulic hoses)(two getting it on the lowboy , two getting it off)Air filters last changed in 1985. Does anyone know how many were made? any info or insight would be helpful . i will upload picts soon. thanks
wabco 888 I have heard a bit about the Wabco 888 i,ve never heard of any Wabco breaking Axles ive had afew Adams as they were originally and Wabco,s and Never had any Axle problems
maybe my buddys just jealous. he said wabcos were not very well thought of. this one seems to work and run like a top. (although were still working out the dust bugs. all the fluids ,filters ,belts,any weak hoses ect replaced. replaced some cracked glass. minor stuff) thanks these are the specs i took out of my manual. fuel tank 91 gallons cooling system 23 gallons crankcase w/out filters 7 gallons torque converter upper trans 10 gallons lower transmission and final drive 12 gallons hydraulic reservoir w/out filters 13 gallons speeds in mph forward 1st 5mph 2nd 8.3mph 3rd 18.3mph 4th 29.2mph reverse 1st 4.5mph 2nd 8.3mph 3rd 16.4mph 4th 24mph height 10'9'' with 9.5' lenght 30' turning radius 45' blade working ground clearence 18" thanks
wabco 888 We have owned a 777 for thirty years. We use it to scrape hard packed snow and ice from a large mall. Some years it doesn't get used at all others I work it harder than it should be. It was rented out for 4 months once, to what we thought was a good operator. Well he worked the **** out of it ,wore out the tires, the blade and broke the blade bolts!!! once, but no other problems. I did break an axle once. The temp was near zero and I pushed before anything was warmed up!!!. It's been one tough machine that I'm embrassed to say that we barely maintain. Randy
You guys have any pictures of your graders?
parts Arrow West in Edmonton Alberta is the only one that I know might have parts. I was just there the other day looking for a wing for my 555 . There books say they have two but can't find them. They are not cheap though but do have some of the WABCO ONLY, parts.
My Adams/Wabco 666 ate an axle once, stripped the splines right off the ends of the axle. This was before I got it and the story they told me was that they just took the axle out and had a guy build up the stripped splines and machine new ones in there. To this day it's still working great, mind you I only get to run it once or twice a year... My buddy has a 777, it seems to work OK but he hasn't used it for ever... Not sure if he's ever had axle issues or not. Overall I'm really happy with mine. For a parts source you might try www.tractorparts.com , John Parks of General Gear in Idaho, he has an amazing selection of stuff. I haven't bought anything from him yet but he is very knowledgeable and very VERY helpful!
i checked with john ohh maybe three weeks ago,and tractorparts it was a no go. i get the feeling not many were made. its cool to own a rare car but not so cool to own a rare motor grader. thanks for the help anyway. windrow:Banghead
ill check it out thanks Windrow:notworthy:notworthy
i was just goin thru one of my manuals and it says (with a pic) this machine can do 90 degree slope. Wow. It also says you can turn the blade completely around and blade backwards. (sick stuff . Again more pics) Do all the wabcos have this capability? thanks windrow
Back in a former life in Alberta I had a 444 Wabco with a 12 litre Cummins. I reckon It was better than the old Cat 14s. In the late 70's I had to get both main drive axles. Some machine shop in Calgary was making axles for around $400 which was half Coneco's price.
If your lucky parts from another Wabco will interchange.Engine parts will be pretty easy.Hydraulics can be rebuilt at most hyd.shops.They usually can find parts.Most will sell you the parts.Same on lots of the parts,like clutches brakes etc.Transmission hopefully you will not need these parts.If you go by the numbers on the tranny housing might help finding parts.Sometimes a company will build a certian size machine and it does not sell.But lots of parts are from one size under are over that series machine.