With all the talk about big scraper operator's in California, thought I would give everybody a change of pace. Richardson Contracting out of Columbia South Carolina is still moving dirt with a fleet of Wabco 229F, 339F scrapers. These pictures were taken several years ago in Anderson, South Carolina. I think it was about a million yards at the local airport. They also have 5 TD-40 Dresser dozer for push loading duties. I believe Richardson still operates a fleet of over 30 Wabco's. It's great to hear those 12V-71 Detroit's, Thanks, John
good pics. i was just wondering if wabco had any relation to watco?
Dresser TD-40 ? Hi Stepp3360, Wow! A Dresser TD-40 , 1st time I've seen a real one. Just seen brochure pix. Those certainly are rare. Any closeups ? Alaska General used to have a fleet of Wabco's, in the mid 70's. 333's if I remember. Don't know what became of them.
TD-40's Northart, It was my first time seeing a TD-40 in action, too. The three TD-40's on this job were all different. One even had what I call a trash blade. I still can't figure out how the operator could see the scraper's when push loading. Another had the ripper main frame chained to the tractor. Interesting outfit. lot's of different equipment. John
Speaking of Detroits.... Heres an old Wabco I came across at the Empire Polo Grounds in Indio, Ca. Looks like she has a 10,000 gal. Kline tank mounted to her.
No relation to WATCO. Westinghouse Air Brake Co is what WABCO stands for i believe and tied in with the whole Letornuea thing many years back. Still amnufacture treadle and relay valves for brake air systems today i think, someone will sing out i would say
Wabco's Haulpak trucks live on as part of Komatsu America. Marathon-Letourneau makes some of the huge loaders used in coal mining. As far as their graders and scrapers, I think they died along with Wabco's dissolution of the earthmoving equipment division. I wonder where outfits that still run Wabco scrapers get new parts when they need them? Other than Detroit Diesel parts and Allison transmission, I mean. Not sure whose machanical components they used. alan627b
Spare parts Alan, If memory serves me. The owner keeps a sharp eye and buy whatever Wabco scrapers he can locate. So his yard is full of donor machines. They even had several donor units at the Anderson job, and were taking parts off them to keep the others running. Think about it for the price of one new 631 Cat scraper, you can have a fleet of Wabco's. John
A company in Western PA had a auction over the summer and they sold (2) Fiat FD 50's and (2) Wabco 75 ton trucks.
Don't see them here in Ca. . Not a bad looking scraper though
look pretty nose heavy, turning one around on a slope would take practice.
I've been told that with the center seat cab, they actually rode pretty well, considering they have no cushion hitch or suspended axle. John makes a good point about the fleet cost too..my employer runs Cat's, but they are far from the current model. They've got a number of donors in their back yard too. alan627b Wabco made one scraper that looks absolutely terrifying to run, a little paddlewheel model 101F. You actually sat not only directly above the engine, but right at the nose too! Sorta like riding a barstool..... http://www.forestryhub.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?ItemID=2856109&TabID=202731&Alias=forestryhubau
The 101F certainly looks like it would roll over in a strong breeze..but in fact it is a pretty stable machine with a low centre of gravity..more stable than a 613A which it could noticeably outperform when they were working side by side (admittedly a slightly smaller bowl and about 10 more h.p. if I remember rightly). Would never say it was a pleasure to operate though.
the tractor looks alot like these half truck half tractor machines that do exploratory drilling here in wyo. looks exactly like the chasis on that paddle wheel, with a different cab,if they are still around ill go by their yard and a pic, they look like the ultimate 4x4,look like the same color too
contact details ayeone having contact details of richadson contracting. we have huge inventory of wabco scraper parts.
It's always goreat to see the old Wabco's running around. - Chris
the worst part i found with wabco scrapers was they drove around on three wheels all day because of there nose being so far infront of the wheels
353 scrapers I was working on a railroad spur at a new power plant down in Texas the company I was working for had 631B's. The outfit that had the main dirt had all most all Wabco equipment. The scrapers they had were 353's . They were 40yd twin engine paddlewheels I believe. Just was wondering if anyone had any pics of a 353? Thanks Tim
Wabco Scrapers Now we're talking:ban The Wabcos were very nice to run and did give a smooth ride. A careful operator very rarely nosed one in although they would catch out a novice (623B's are quite capable of doing the same thing) The 101's were exciting to operate but you were exposed to the elements. I preferred a 111A. The 111A would outperform ANY other small elevator in topsoil work. I miss them
wabco hello here ia pic of a 353 from the web,bruce oz http://hw001.gate01.com/geomover/ethmvr/ms/1977w353ft.gif
If I remember correctly , my Grandpa had a 222. It was a paddle wheeler with a 318 Detroit in it. Dad started it one spring, and blew the double muffler apart. In his infinite wisdom, he made a Y pipe and straight piped it. You could hear that thing for several miles. I am not so sure that it is not the reason thath my ears ring all the time.
353 pic Thanks bruce oz for the 353 pic. I got to thinking, we was working on a dam in the panhandle of Texas and we had to drive by a well blowout site, they had to dig around the well i would say probably 500' to 700' wide ,1000' long and about 30'ft at the deepest. They used several scrapers to dig it. Alot were 627's,623's, a few 637's and one 353 where it came from i have no clue. Thanks Tim
101G's, 222's I operate two 101G's, have done so for over 20 years, with a 3rd machine for cannablising, and just picked up an old "C" pull with a 21 yd Hancock bowl, the forerunner to the Wabco 222. Quite a beast, 30 tonne empty, manual fuller gearbox, 8V71 GM which I currently have running at about 6 litres of diesel per kilometer fuel consumption, just traveling empty! Have to work on that a bit..I am new to Detroit's. I have a lot of pics of the machines working, I don't know how to post a pic but my email is [email protected] . I will send a few to anyone interested.
Welcome to the Heavy Equipment Forums Weaknees. Make youirself at home. Just a tip. The Spambots harvest email adresses from places like this. Registered members can contact you via the private message faciltity and you can make your email available in your profile. I can remove your email address from the post if you wish.
I'l take any scraper pics anyone wants to send me! [email protected] In a few weeks, I should have some to post too, I'm getting some of my old pics put onto CD's. Stay tuned.... Alan
I have/had Wabco 101F and 101G and 252FT. Great machines, will dig all day, the 252FT will move a mountain, but can be thirsty on fuel. I have seen photos of the 353FT. My fitter did his apprenticeship at Wabco in Rydalmere in the 70s. He remembers the few 353FTs that came into the country. I believe there were only six of them. I believe an earthmover in NSW had two of them, but getting chains for them was really difficult. I would love to see one up close and personal though. The 101 s are interesting on a slope, you ride very high on them, but theyre a great small scraper. Still looking for more info on the 615c series II. regards Jim
weaknees , i thought the d-pulls had the allision 4000 series trans that manual box would be a cow too operate would it not
Wabco C pull Hi greeniron, I think they brought out modifications to drive trains as fast as better components became available, though they stuck with the pinion-bull gear setup right through the 222 series when other models and companies changed pretty quickly to plantetries. I am used to the clark auto of the 101G's, and also thought a manual gearbox would be hell to operate, but just in driving around it seems to be quite ok, the massive reduction through the diff and pinions means it kind of "winds" (as in winding road, not moving air) into the load much like an auto does. You would get big muscles on your clutch leg before long though. Or maybe you would just leave the beast in 1st gear! -Steve
D'Pulls GreenIron, The D'Pulls had several transmissions over the years: Fuller 5A650 manual with 14" clutch Fuller 5G720 manual with 15" clutch Allison CLT3341 powershift and the very last D Pulls (also known as the model 109) and the 111A's had an Allison VCLT3361 powershift with the variable converter ointhead
Here are some old LeT-Wabco's i took when I was about 15 years old. C-pulls,the old direct drive D9D (1954) a 777 grader. Originally taken with a 126 Instamatic, so pardon the quality. Alan627b
More vintage action. The areas where this grading is going on was all farmland when I moved here, now it's nothing but houses. Time to move again.... I am the guy standing on the draft arm of the D9 when I was about 15 or 16, and my firend Jerry is in front of it. We are both about 46 now....how time flies. alan627b
More 1970's action.
Who still has them? Does anybody know where in America there are still some electric Wabcos like the ones in Alan627bs pics? Preferably in the northeastern U.S.
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6589514&GUID=566705CBF51B4F0DB26742EC8406F0B8 http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...3&GUID=566705CBF51B4F0DB26742EC8406F0B8&dlr=1 In Council Bluffs, Iowa
They are great pics Alan. There must have been a few tricks to operating hoist and eject winches, I'm glad I came along after hydraulics came on the scene.
B&A contracting in gainesville, ga (there out of buisness for some time now) had some old wabco open bowl scrapers that were double barrel's slow and something else to operate they were huge and i guess the load made up for the speed
I have an interest in your WABCO parts. We operate 101, 111, 222F, 222G. If you still have things available, let me know some details. If you would like to call me I can be reached at 260 609 3106 Thanks, John
wabcos at work wabcos should be at work
One summers day back in 1976.... Equipment on this job (which was mostly sand): Wabco 222G Wabco 222F Wabco 111A Michigan 180-III
wabcos at work Model c s working in new zealand 1957 black and white but thats the way it was cheers malcolm
Wabco 353FT. Images of Wabco 353FT taken at Prospect, New South Wales, Australia, in 1991. I am 5'11'', so she certainly is a big old girl. On this day it was accompanied on the job with a fleet of Wabco 333FT's, Cat 657B's and a Terex TS-24 Loadrunner. Scraper heaven. There were four Australian deliveries of 353FT's. Two went to Christmas Island, the others to New South Wales. To my knowledge one is still being operated.
Apologise for lack of images. Trying to work out how to get them to a decent size.
Another one for y'all Stripping in an opencast coal mine, Waikato, New Zealand 1976
Don't let me distract from this Wabco scraper thread, but I have a question for you Wabco guys. We purchased several compressors to re-sell, one is a Wabco 600. I don't know about around the world, but here in the states, it seems it's mandatory that all compressors are required to have a demolition ball and a few boulder destroy the body panels of them. This Wabco 600 is an exception. I know this thing has to be early 1970's, but it's in incredibly good shape. The 6V-71 runs great. We're going to fix it up and paint it. Which leads me to my question; does anyone out there have any original pics of the decals or markings of this machine? When we get finished with it, I'd like to post a pic of it for you Wabco guys.
Any photo and update on a Wabco 353 FT would be greatly appreciated. I would love to see one working, i have a 252 FT and its great to work and watch. Cheers Jim
wabcos still working 101 still working down under 30 odd years later enjoy malcolm
What's with the extra-high cab guarding and canopy?
Hey stretch, The high looking ROPS is just a consequence of the height of the operator's....backside. The 101F (504 cummins V8, Clark auto, 9yd bowl) and the later 101G (same power plant, 11 yd bowl, see attached pics of my two working girls and my "spare".) had good allround visibility for the operator as a priority. The International E211 had a similar high seating point, though you had to look around the straight six diesel (407 T, I think), instead of sitting over the Wabco engine.
101s Hi I liked your photos weaknees especialy the gum tree in the back ground what is the frame over the bowl arms on the G dont remember that cheers malcolm
How hot do those cabs get sitting on top of the motor like that?
Hi Steve, Ambient + 10 deg C! - I had a good air con in my first machine, but I hated to give up 10 hp just to be comfortable, so I pulled it off. Scraper driving in summer isn't supposed to be a cake walk, thats why the pay is good, and with the door open during the travel and dump, it is bearable. Even when it is 45 deg C outside, and over 50 in the cab, like it was today! Upside is it is cosy in the winter. -Steve
Hi Malcolm, well spotted - the frame is my addition, to center mount a heavy powered laser mast I used for a while in the 80's. I am going to pull it off when I get a chance as I don't use it anymore, and it makes me over width on the low loader. -Steve
As if I wasn't busy enough, I put in a low offer on an old C pull 21 yd Let-W wrecked on a hillside across the valley from me last winter (wet winters - they always get me into trouble, and I felt sorry for the old thing). Needless to say because I didn't need it, my bid was eventually accepted, so I lived next to it for a few weeks while I resurrected it to mobile - getting to meet the notorious 8V-71 GM in the process.. It had worked on construction of Keepit Dam (late '50's, early 60's), then local earthmoving, until it's diff was stripped circa 1973 for rebuild. That never happened as the new pinion shafts were the wrong spline, and the farmer who owned it got old and lost heart (which will happen to me soon enough). Here is a before and after pic - for your entertainment - and yes, I drove it out of its grave, then about 10k - quite an experience, to a mate's shed, where I will continue working on the electrics to get it fully operational.
Thanks weaknees, guess I wasn't looking hard enough to notice the engine location. :Banghead Thanks for more pics, and keep it up with the C, it's sure looking good!:notworthy
I have to hand it to you weaknees, you are not afraid to take on a challenge. You obviously have a passion for those old girls, good on you. What sort of work do you do with the scrapers? Rn'R.
Once you get the old girl into A1 shape, you'll need to invest in some grade A hearing protection! Alan627b
Great photos of the 101 G's. Discovered some photos on the web of a 353FT but the photos are too large to post. Once i figure that out ill put them up. That 353FT in NSW, is it still working i wonder? My 252FT has such a heavy footprint, i have to be careful where i send it to work. Jim
We are operating 3 101fs and a pair of 222gs, how do I get my photos posted? I would like to see shots of a working 353. Great stuff. my brother has a shot of a 333ft in Aus with D9 ripper mounted on the rear. If I can find a way to show you guys I will.
Worst case scenario, email them to me and I'll get those up for you. [email protected] if you need to resize them, this one is very easy to use. Microsoft Powertoys Image Resizer. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx Find the Image Resizer Download it and follow the directions, makes it easy to resize pictures for posting on forums. You can even resize entire batches of photos at one time.
He should be able to post pics now, he didn't have the 3 posts when he posted here. Our autosizer is also back on line.
lets hope these work, courtesy of the world wide web
more off the web
and the last three. I got these off a model forum, taken by someone in the States, i think theyre great!!!
here are the pictures of Nick's scrapers (Showpony). First 3 are of 101F and G Wabco scrapers, then the 222G. I'll let him clue you all in as to the what and where! Glad to help, Nick! Also, a link to the family business! http://www.agcontracting.co.nz/ Nick, check out this forum in the UK. They'll want to see these too. I'll post them if you need the help. http://www.classicmachinery.net/forum/ Alan627b
Thanks Allan627b HEF is a great forum. Its great to see the older and newer members of the industry sharing ideas and information. My name is Nick Yeatman my brother Hoss & I run an ag contracting business in Mid Canterbury NZ. Check out our website www.agcontracting.co.nz (needs updating). The first 2 pics are 3 101fs & a 101g belong to Len Rankin Earthmoving's from Tekauwhata just south of Auckland, we purchased the machine with the primer cowl for parts. as far as I know the rest are still for sale, they also have a large inventory of parts for 101fs. The 2 222 pics are of a machine we imported from Drurion Australia in Oct 08, port pic is in Lyttleton NZ. Transporter is ours, trailer is an MTE Made in NZ, 3 rows of 8 widening unit with an 11 meter bed, ideal for larger scrapers. The 3rd pic is one of our 101fs building stopbanks in South Canterbury, for those that may be interested the machine is made up from 2 originally owned by Francis Earthmoving from Christchurch NZ, we purchased the machine from Issac Construction when they took over Francis,s equipment in 2002. Anyone looking for a cure for the top shaft and elevator gearbox woes that beset these otherwise reliable machines should flick us an email and we will show them our modification.
Hi Jim, Do you have any pics of the 252? I would love to see some, I have heard owners of 252's won't part with them, so they must be a good machine
Weaknees, I dont have any here, or in digital format. I did take quite a few after she got a paint job a few years back. Youre right, the Wabco product seemed to have got the scraper design right, the 252 FT is a great machine. Ill have to dig through the archives and find the photos and scan them to here. Ive spent a good deal of time on a 101 G and 101 F, the 252 FT gives a great ride, and no cushion hitch! Still would like to see the elusive 353 FT. cheers Jim
Weakness, Goodmans in Welllington NZ have 3 working 252s, 259 and a 333ft they have a website, I'm not sure wether I can post there link on here or not, but heres my email if you cant find them on the web. [email protected]
Try again with 353FT images.
Wabco 353FT images. Think I have them right this time.
Wabco 333FT taken at the Hume Highway by-pass at Goulburn, New South Wales, Australia. March 1991.
A very brave C-Pull operator putting on a show during construction of Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra, Australia, early 1960's.
Those are great pics graemets!
test
Wow those are great pics. Now that's a big hippo hittin' the water! :drinkup
A fantastic post guys. There is a company here in Western Australia that bought the old Wabco scrapers from Christmas Island and put the bowls behind 651B prime movers.The Wabcat is what they called them and are still in use to this day.Unfortunately no pics.The 51`s were repowered with KT19 Cummins engines as well.
Yeah, and an electrically charged hippo at that! Remember they have electrical motors for the steering and bowl functions! Brave or stupid, often opposite sides of the same coin. Looks cool though!:notworthy alan627b
Great photos of the 353ft and 333ft, I did hear that getting suitable chains for the 353 were difficult. A kiwi fellow i met said he used D4 dozer chains on his 252FT, he did say it more than doubled the life of his chains. A really nice fellow he had about two of them and a 259FT.
another one wabco working down under
Hey guys. I found some 252's for sale! 252's for sale. http://www.genesequipment.com/equipment_detail.cfm?ID=217 http://www.genesequipment.com/equipment_detail.cfm?ID=187 The whole site has some uncommon stuff, with pictures. http://www.genesequipment.com/index.cfm Enjoy. alan627b
Malcolm, why no push block on rear, is it cos they are elavators?
Those beasts have so much raw power, they could drag a dozer behind them on the dump cycle and barely notice it! I think they have front and rear 12v-71T GM's. They may even be a bigger cylinder size than 71.
Hi My name is Robert and I found this place today by searching the word WABCO with Goggle, I work as a Low Loader driver, the other month I moved a small Wabco scraper the owner called it 101 or 110, And i was telling my dad about it as he worked for Wabco in Brisbane in the late 60 and early 70's, He has told me about Wabco scrapers having the electric steering and this where he got his love of "gm's" from, After talking with him I remembered a small photo album that he had with some pic's in it which after pulling there house apart I found and showed him it had some old pic's in it which i may be able to scan or take pic of and post here soon, If it is not problem I wood like to email the link to this post as he may want to read it. I am going to learn a lot here hope to in some small way may be help some of you, thanks for a great place
Outback rescue Hi Robert, How would you like to get this old wreck on your low loader without a crane? I collected this old girl from Wilcannia, NSW, where it died about ten years ago, then got cannabalised. I wanted the diff, and the elevators. It's blown motor and three tyres were in Broken Hill, 200k's away. I had to get them and fit the tyres, and use the hydraulics off my crane truck to lift the bowl, and steer it onto the low loader with a push from a grader. Then drive 800k's back home..... lucky diesel was only $1.80/litre back then...
252FT's ran two 8V71T's. 350hp each. Images of myself and a friend with one in Adelaide, Australia, 1993.
The 252FT's open bowl sister machine, the 259FT. It also ran two 350hp 8V71T's. Pictured near Brisbane, Australia, 1992.
Yeah it not real fun doing job like that but I have had to do theam,
good old machines
Hey Guys, The Depsey and Wood 252FT is the earlier model, the hydraulic motor on that one is on the left hand side, and on the late models it is on the right hand side. Weaknees, that 101G looks really straight, apart from the obvious. Looks very original. A 101 F i once owned still had the Tournapull/Wabco ID plate on it. I still firmly believe the Wabco scraper is the best balanced machine ive ever driven
before wabcos but It survived
Malcolm, Is that the late Graham Craw's Model C Tournapull that he imported from the USA a couple of years ago ?
i can remember there were many fans of the wabco's on the cotton farms around dalby, if i remember correctly they were 222's?
craws brought the front section in from canada and hooked it up to an existing lp scraper . Here is a couple more wabcos down under
4 in a row 333 - 222- 111a - 101
Nice Wabco family portrait R.G. Letourneau would be proud of what his ideas blossomed into. It's sad they are not longer in production. I am in California & am amazed at how much following these machines have down under!! Now here's a great action photo of some 353's working Dug
Dug, The reason Wabco is popular downunder is because Wabco made them down here until the 80's during the 60's and 70's and 80's when the scraper was KING. There are alot of people who refuse to part with thier Wabco's.
Doug Overburden, they are 333's, not 353's.
Malcolm, That 333FT & 222G would appear to be Cloutman Bros from Waiuku ? I've operated that 222 when Cloutmans sold it. ointhead
Wabco 333's/353's I was wrong, now after looking closer at this photo I noticed they are single engine machines. I found a 353FT photo. Anyone have any idea of how many 333's & 353's were produced? How many still running?
Wabco's down under Jim, I did not know Wabco had a factory down under. I just assumed all Wabcos were U.S. built. Wabco discontinued scrapers in North America in 1980. Keep on running those Wabcos as long as possible.
There is quite a comprehensive book about Wabco in Australia produced by paddington publications. If you google tournanet you will find a link to the book, its still available. Wabco had a factory in Rydalmere in New South Wales, just a pity theyre not made anymore.
B70 model fellows , I think there was a wabco scraper called a B70 , is this model the forerunner of the 333 ?????
G,day....the pictures of those old Tournapull scrapers reminded me of my old Dad. In 1942 he was a sergeant in the Australian Army training tank operators in Brisbane. Because of the shortage of operators in the private sector he was released from duty to go and help open new coal mines at Muswellbrook. He along with Bert and Stan Thiess picked up 2 Tournapulls at Blair Athol and towing a extra pull scoop each, drove to Muswellbrook via Brisbane. A distance of just over 1000 miles. Back then most of the roads were not much more than dirt tracks. The machines then were clutch steering (no such luxury as hydraulics). On the way down they spent some time doing work on the Heifer Creek Road which was being constructed as a defence road, on this job was Thiess's first D8. It had been walked from Brisbane to the site as there was nothing capable of transporting it available at that time. Some of the mountain ranges they had to cross were so steep and the load they were pulling so heavy, they didn't dare touch the steering clutches, so one person walked along side and placed cactus leaves under a tyre to spin the wheel and get them to turn in the desired direction. They had to carry all fuel, spare parts and personall provisions needed for the trip. A couple of years back a memorial was dedicated at a park about halfway along Heifer Creek Road thanking the workers on this project. Among photos on display are a couple of the scrapers. And myself, I still have traces of calluses between my index and middle fingers of my left hand from many years of that electric steering (111a) Have a good day....John Baxter.
Is that Blair Athol in Adelaide, Rumbles? If it is, that would have been one hell of a trip in those days. Rn'R.
No mate, it's the one in central Queensland. Still quiet a trip (627 miles to Brisbane). ....John.
B70 Greeniron, There was a B70 Wabco and we had a fleet of them working at Greenbushes many years ago.The early ones had toggle switch steering but the later ones had a steering wheel.Same setup though just gave you something to hang onto.These were cable bowl.apron and ejector with electric steering.Powered by a 12V71N Detroit with an 8 speed allison.Those 333`s look like they used the same primemover.I will try to find some pics but I am not making promises. Shaun
222 wabco man here it is brand new and working
A big thanks Just thought I would reply and give a big thanks to Malcolm and Wabcoman for such great photos...keep them coming..such a great bit of earthmoving history with the 333's in NZ...I have photos of machines working in the 80's but must do a test run on posting pictures...also photos current with one machine working with Goodmans...great to also spend a few hours running the machine...nothing like the twin V12's with 950hp....Regards..Ray
222G, Fyshwick, Canberra, Australia. 1989.
229, Harrison, Canberra, Australia. 2006. This machine is still being worked to this day by it's owner. I have been told it is the most reliable scraper around town. I had a go at operating her one Saturday afternoon. What an experience. Open cab, noise, heat and plenty of grunt. Fantastic.
Cloutman Bros NZ 333FT,s Photos taken Cloutman Bros operation at Waiuku Ironsands NZ..approx 1985..two X 333's in operation ....a third had just been brought in from Australia....to date scrapers no longer on site...replaced with Bucket Wheel operation...Regards Ray
I think Goodmans have two of Cloutmans machines now. They have been using them on various sites around the Capital, like Churton Park, Whitby and just north of Upper Hutt. One was at their base in Waikanae mid-January in the workshop. Not sure whether they are back out working at the moment
Goodmans Pronto..yes machines in the above photo are now with Goodmans...one as operating and one as parts...the parts machine being the bottom photo as well as the machine on left in top photo...which appears to be the ex NZ Roadmakers machine that Malcolm photos shows...enclosed is one of my recent photos of the 333 at Churton Park not long after Goodmans brought them...a more recent photo is on the web page of Phil G...Tournanet site
wabco scrapers in india hi everyone, back in india we had lots of wabco scrapers moving in coal mines and dam projects. i have been dealing only in wabco scraper parts and feel nice to keep this old model running. anyone needs anything for wabco scrapers can mail me[ [email protected] ] or call me 00919869273094. we also have wabco cranes in india called cm20 model.
Interesting scrapers as I have never seen a twin. It looks like the elevator flghts are alot closer together than Cat's I suppose that has to do with elevator speed. Also looks like a drive motor on each side, I bet they have good elevator power. I'd like to see one working
manish, you have got to send us some photos. Send one of a CM20 crane as well.
heres a couple of photos of some of 101gs and a 110-15b clark in action
where are they operating? Manish
western queensland australia Bevan
222s in NZ Building dairy shed platform, and races s/n 1526 yellow, s/n 1624 white. Just an observation and I could be wrong but as Cat has just got onto electric transmission systems, its noticable the Cat owners seem to have more difficulty posting pics of their machines, could this be they are a bit behind or is it hard to get a shot of an old Cat working.
I worker for a guy who had a 333 CS (coal special) - what a huge big bowl.............It had been narrowed up by 3 feet or so by the time we got it but it was still good for 45 yards without hungry boards. Wish I had a photo of it now.....
Aglasergps, Was that Brendan Lowe, in NSW? I thought he had a 333CS and a couple of 353 FTs as well.
No, a cane farmer in the Burdekin, south of Townsville. Don't know where it came from but we had it for years. It was simply BIG.......
Here is a shot of Goodman's Wabco fleet resting today just north of Johnsonville, Wellington. They are doing some final clear-up work on the former tip site.
Goodmans As per prontos post...the 252's have been repainted...machines were ex-Aus..addtionally the 259 has been repaint and looks very impressive
Great shots pronto and thanks for the 259FT pic RayC. I've had quite a bit of "seat time" on some of Goodmans equipment !
Wabco Scrapers I am not a scraper person myself, but I came across this clip on Youtube and I thought you chaps might be intereseted in it. I don't think it has been posted before, but if it has, my apologies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2p-eDna77k&feature=channel_page Rn'R.
Wabco`s After reading and looking at this fantastic post about the mighty Wabco I think a trip to New Zealand is in order.You don`t see to many around in West Australia anymore.It is a shame though.They were a mighty machine.It would be awesome to be able to get in the seat of a twin power Wabco.The only one I have ever been on was a B70 with cable bowl.A fantastic machine in its day. Shaun:
Wabco info Sales info
Wabco info Some more
Just curious.. was the 259 an Eurpean/export only model? I don't recall ever hearing of a twin engine Wabco smaller than the 333 in America. or a twin engine open bowl of any size. Enquiring minds want to know. Looks real good, by the way. alan627b
Alan, the 259FT was a fairly latecomer to Wabco's scraper lineup. (basically a 252FT tractor with a 229 bowl and an extra engine). They were a domestic as well as export machine. For some reason Wabco shyed away from twin powered open bowl machines although they did have a go back in 1964 with the model C500 which was a bit of a mix and match affair. Would love to have operated one to see how it handled but never got the opportunity. Don't know if any survived either. They were powered with an 8V-71 with another in the rear which could be slid out on rails if you just needed a single engine machine or wanted to add another bowl. Neat idea which never took off. ointhead Lots of horsepower for a 14/20 cubic yard scraper
Thanks forthe info, Wabcoman, that must have been built shortly before the end. Too bad Komatsu didn't buy the rights to Wabco scrapers as well as the Haulpaks, and put a hitch system on them. Might have given Cat a run for their money. If anyone wants to sell one of those Lindberg 333FT 1/60 scale models reasonable, I'd be interested.....I converted mine to a single engine, just to be different, about 20 years ago, and still have it. I'd like to get another if I don't need a loan for it!! Too bad they wouldn't re-release that model....or the truck and loader too. alan627b
Wabco model Hi Alen I caught up with an old wabco mechanic friend last weekend he had one of those models (1st i had seen ) it was all origional except the rear exaust pipes had been broken off. I will take my camera next time i go to see him. For the kiwi viewers the NZ wabco numbers he recalls were aprox 46--47 111As-- 1 - 222F --20- 222Gs and 3 or maybee 4 333fts. He was involved from start to finish with wabco in NZ The white 333ft in an early post came from a usa mining show( las vegas i guess ) . He tells me it blew a lot of blue smoke every time they started it up. It went to Welington to work in some steep country which soon stoped it smoking .He said it was incredible to watch it climb a steep hill with a full load ( rear tyres bulging ) a hill he said he was strugling to walk up .Sales info shows they were released in1968 cheers malcolm ( ps 3 photos)
Has been great to see all the Wabco pictures,Is any one on board old enough to have spent any time on the Letourneau 'C' and 'D' Model tournapulls? dpull
Hi dpull, I have quite a bit of "seat time" on electric steer D and C Tournapulls including a D Tournarocker. The C-Pulls all had the P-19 or CMA2 scraper bowl. They were great machines (even if most of them did have stick shift)
Hi WabcoMan, I thought there might be a few on the forum that had some age to have been around the Letourneau machines. I have a 'D' Pull that my GrandDad bought new in early 1953 before the change. Still use her once in awhile on a job to cut swells or move some topsoil. Still runs and operates. She has a 471 with the strait exhaust. I also have a 1948 Model'C'Tournadozer with the Buda engine. Hasn't run since mid 60's due to engine problems but I found a Buda 844 last year and hope to get it installed this year. I bought a Model 'C' Tournadozer with a factory Mod of having one Elec Motor on each side mounted behind the operators area for the PCU to help balance the machine out for high speed travel instead of having the PCU mounted on the rear which made them tail heavy for travel speeds. The 'D' Pull is the only one I can hit the switch and take a ride on as the two dozers need work done to them. I have seen here on the forum that Surfer Joe didn't care much for the 'D' Pulls that he and his Brother owned but when everything works like its suppose to they really were good little Pans. Still after all these years of being on her I still enjoy moving some dirt with her once in awhile.Mr. R.G. was way ahead of his time with alot of his machines. I got to meet Roy Letourneau and his Wife a couple of years ago and spent some time hearing his stories of his Dad and growing up in that era of time. Very nice people to chat with. Do you have any of the older CoOperator magazines? I'am always looking for them. Have A Good Day, dpull
G'day dpull, yes mate, I'm another old 'pull operator. I drove v-power C-pulls [open-bowl & elevators] D-Pulls with elevators. Both stick shift and power shift. They were OK to run but you had to be on the ball ALL the time. One D i ran had a bad habit of wanting to turn LEFT no matter which way you clicked her.. We would clean up the points and it would behave for a few days and get cranky again..Also ran 222's and 229's. Good old days gone... Cheers 4D..
One lonely 222 for sale on Machinerytrader... http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6608983&GUID=8C5672CD7A354D01969C0FCF3415B356 Few on Rock and Dirt... http://www.rockanddirt.com/perl/sea...WABCO&model=All Models&db=equipdb&catnum=1058 One on Ebay...C Pull http://cgi.ebay.com/WABCO-C-Pull-Sc...hash=item270258421716&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
Hello 4D, Yes the good old days for sure with the way things are now. Geez really don't know how we have lived so long with the iron we use to operate, No ROPS/No AC/No Seatbelt/No Radio. I seen on Tournanet site that Phil is comming out with some new books this year. Ought to make for some good reading. Any seat time on the Tournatractor? dpull
Wabcos in NZ 2006 Just found these pictures on an old card of mine. Shows Goodmans at work, Churton Park, Wellington, NZ back in 2006. There is a great shot of the scraper that was converted to a compactor in the background. Have thrown a picture of their Mitsi tracked dumpers in too. I know a little off-topic but interesting to see the variety of gear on site
Wabco pics 3 more
Jim, You posted some 353FT pictures -- SN GP32043 BPA17-d, which was a sister of our machines. Do you recall where the pictures came from? I wondered if this was an old AMAX machine from Sun Spot Mine or one of the units out of the Wright Mine. Once I get a few posts underway, I'll dig up a few pictures of 333F, 333FT and 353FT's running in the Pacific NW. At one time we had some 3-339F's, 3-333F's, 15-333FT's, and 11 353FT's -- all of which I spent much time on. The 353FT's were great machines to run -- balance, power and elevators that wouldn't quit.
Wabco's at work Hi all I am the proud owner/operator of the 229F shown by graemets3 in this thread. Just stumbled across this forum when searching the web on the subject of Wabco scrapers - great to see my machine already displayed. The old girl has just celebrated her 40th birthday and is still more reliable than the Cat 621B's she mostly runs with. Since the picture graemets3 took, she has been repainted and looks a million dollars. As soon as I work out how to post pictures in this forum I will show you all how good she looks! I also own a V Power C Tournapull which I am in the process of restoring. Great to see the pictures of Wabco's at work and to read your thoughts. Cheers Gordon
G'day gordon,was wondering how long it would take for you to get on here...Hit us with the pics asap.. v-power too.. 4D...
C Pull Hancock 21yd I'll give you V power..
G'day Weakness Love the photo of V Power! Mine is an open bowl and it seems that I can not show you yet because of admin issues. But as soon as I can i will post you a picture of how it looked when I bought it. Cheers Gordon
Chains -- they were relatively straight forward to come by into the mid/late 80's. We had a run made by Jeffries with the segmented sections. For the 333's, occasionally you could find some mining chain made by Rex. We too tried the D3/D4 chain and had issues with it spreading -- it didn't stay together on the 333FT's and ended up moving it onto the 333F's for lighter duty. Marlow
This would be great to see/hear more about. I believe we met this fellow in '99 when he came to the states for our final auction. Marlow
Wabco Scrapers More scrapers -- blue & white 333FT was from Las Vegas show. Others are from Mt St Helens cleanup. More to follow.
More Scrapers The B&W were in Southern Oregon on a roadway project, the others are from our 353FT lineup heading to auction. More to come.
353FT's Here's some showing loading these buggers on a sand project and others with them split in half unloading after shipment.
More scrapers.... Road project and landfill preload project.
More scrapers 333FT's Here's some more 333FT's
Interesting thread fellows I`ve never seen any twin power elevators before what and how is the back drive train made up of ? i see it has planetrys so it can`t be a typically wabco diff
The rear power train on the twins were equipped with planetary drives. The engine/trans DD12V71T mated to a Allison 5965 -- and indeed they were factory units, not custom. The 353FT's (as seen by other posts and notes) were planetary drive front and rear -- '74 with the pre-production unit (BPA17-A) and later into production as the 1975/76 BPA17-B. However, that being said, one of our early twins (the blue and white 333FT from the Vegas show) did suffer structural damage in the late 70's and was converted to a single via a 651 rear frame from the tailgate to the tail and ran it's remaining days out until the mid 80's this way. Marlow
more details please mmourer , V12 direct coupled to 5965 allision with a 3 gear dropbox ?? back to diff via a short tailshaft , diff being a ( eaton 500 ) ??? did all models have the same power unit or where they the V8`s with smaller g/box`s and diffs ??
Great pictures!!! Unfortunately I only ran one Wabco it was an open bowl, a later one with a steering wheel. A question for any of you who ran Wabco self-loaders. I heard there was a special loading range in the transmission that adjusted your speed to the depth of cut and type of material. Did the elevating scrapers you ran have that? Did it work as advertised?
Hi Buckethead, Yes I've run those elevators. Transmission was an Allison VCLT series and had a variable input converter. Certainly worked in the 111A's and 222G's that I operated. We used to load in 2nd range no problems. Wabco's work in sand REAL well - better than any other elevator I've been on
Major components Sorry about that -- all the 300 series machines we had were 12V71's up front and rear. Some of the older units (333F's) started life as 12V71N's and later were "upgraded" to turbo units. The description of the gearbox/rear driveline/diff is is indeed similar to that of most scrapers as you describe though I don't recall the number of gears in the unit (insert 10 year memory fade). I was always under the impression this was an in-house WABCO design as well as their touted "traction sensing" differential. As we were seeking spare parts (in the later years) some of the smaller components were available direct from the OEM manufacturer as well as WABCO but the major components (front drop box, PTO box, rear drop, F&R diff, planetaries) were only available through donor machines or a machine shop we had building new gear sets. We never found an original manufacturer of Eaton, Rockwell or other brand that was a compatible replacement. Marlow
Load range Yes it definately work as advertised. Both the 333F singles and 333FT/353FT twins had a load position -- LOAD 1 and LOAD 2 (though the singles obviously only had one load postion). On the twins, Load 1 put your front trans in neutral and ran the engine up to the redline while allowing the rear as the only tractive effort (giving maximum elevator and hydraulic power), Load 2 put the trans into a converter mode allowing a reduced forward speed while still maintaining both front and rear traction/drive. Load2 was typically what was used in most conditions unless you were picking up windrows, or in material that allowed enough traction not to bury the rear wheels. For what it's worth, the first few times you popped it into load 1 it would freighten the heck out of you hearing the front engine rev up to the redline (and yes, if you popped it back into gear it was similar to a neutral drop unless you had some momentum). Marlow
353 mmourer...great photos...this topic has just gone to a new level with your input...so many thanks. One question about the auction of the 353's....did they all move on...and secondly do you know where all the machines ended up. With the list of Wabcos that the company had surely must rate as one of the largest users of 333 and 353's worldwide? The person that you most likely spoke to here in NZ regarding the use of elevator chains would have been Stan Goodman...see previous post. Once again many thanks and I look forward to any more that you may have.
Wabco scrapers Mmourer those are some really fantastic shots of the "big beasts"! The shots of their mouths full and gobbling more are certainly the best I have ever seen of just how hungry these machines were (and and are for those still lucky enough to be able to run them). Was Wabco's claim that they could free dig (with teeth) the same dirt a D9 could rip true? Keep the photos coming!! Cheers Gordon
Hi Fourdee Didn't know you were at home! Have now had the way cleared to post photos so here goes. The first is my V power C'Pull as I bought and the second is the two loves of my life (wife central). Photos 3 through 5 are of my 229F after being repainted working on the Gungahlin Drive Extension project in Canberra 2007.
wabco scrapers Thanks -- I'll keep looking for any more pictures. The auction 353's -- 3 went to a Texas buyer 2 went to a buyer near Olympia, Washington (and were resold after the project completed a year'ish later) and the remainder went to a large farmer in Eastern Washington (along with the parts machines, parts vans, 333FT's and other WABCO stuff. I haven't heard from him in years and don't know the current status of the machines. My brother lives in Washington -- I'll see if he knows any news on the old girls. I don't know if it was Goodman -- I thought it was the fellow who had some 651 tractors (repowered with cummins) mated with 333 bowls. As far as being the biggest collection of machines under one company, likely yes. Also -- I did a little digging. Here are a few 252FT's in Southern California -- these are not our machines. Marlow
wabco scrapers Gordon -- the glacial tills in the Northwest were indeed quite dense and it was typical to see ripping tractors on (other) sites. However, if you mixed a group of machines with teeth and without teeth the need for a ripper tractor was eliminated -- though you still needed something to move the big floaters out of the cut. What was a ball on the machines is peeling up roadways -- you could grab an edge of a mat and start to rip it up on your own down to the gravel base layer leaving a smooth pass and stockpile/bury the old asphalt as needed. Marlow
More Wabcos More scrapers. Enjoy.
More wabcos A few more
heres a 222H it was ex malasian military there were 2 of these machines imported into australia only had around 3500hrs on the clock.
Also -- I did a little digging. Here are a few 252FT's in Southern California -- these are not our machines. Marlow[/QUOTE] I thought I reconized these 252FT' & the White Compact fuel truck behind them (no glass). They belong to Bob Webb, don't know how many runners he has left. Has a bunch of parts machines sitting on El Nopal Rd in Lakeside Ca. Dug O.
Hey Marlow Love shots of how to fill up a water cart! That out does anything I have ever seen tried. I have too say I have never been lucky enough to have a go at one of these big beasts but they certainly look as if they would have been a lot of fun. Certainly far superior to the Cat 639 (only ever seen photos of these as well). I posted a couple more shots of my 229F under the Wabco Scraper Pics thread. Below is a shot of a V Power C'Pull here in Canberra. Australia back in 1973-4. The guy operating it taught me the skills of the trade and is avery good friend. Cheers Gordon
That looks like an antique show to me.
Hi bonechip, it wasn't at the time. The pushyCat D8H was a brand new "HUSH PUPPY". Cheers Gordon
252's I thought I reconized these 252FT' & the White Compact fuel truck behind them (no glass). They belong to Bob Webb, don't know how many runners he has left. Has a bunch of parts machines sitting on El Nopal Rd in Lakeside Ca. Dug O.[/QUOTE] Dug -- these are indeed Webb's machines. I don't know if I had taken any more pictures. Marlow
Water machine Gordon, The necessity came out of a road project that was sandy material and access to a water source. It looked rather strange but it was functional. We ended up pulling the elevator frame, building a front door that was actuated by the ejector cycle and sealing up the floor. All in all it didn't work out too bad for the conditions. And when we were done it was a relatively straight forward conversion back to a running machine from the fleet. Marlow
Great photos Marlow, Ive never seen a 353FT, but to see so many in one row, great photos.
You got to love any Detroit running. I had a 6-71 in a lowboy tractor and you could hear it coming from three miles away.....Frank
Wabcats I thought you guys might like to see the content of an email I just recieved today... Some details regarding our scrapersโฆ.. 651 Elevating Scraper The Photo is of Albert Piacentini (company founder) who is standing next to the original machine after a full rebuild at 40,000hrs. The machine was built out of a Cat 651B prime mover, and a Wabco 353ft bowl in 1989. Shortly after the machine was built and put into operation the engine was repowered with a KTA19 Cummins. At the rebuild after 40,000hrs the rear end of the bowl was retro fitted with a 651B back end to increase the braking capabilities and serviceability. The machine is still in operation and has around 75,000hrs on it. Albert and Colin Piacentini built this machine so that they only needed one machine to meet the feed requirements of a mining plant. This machine was a great success story and they now have 2x 651B WABCATโS and 5x 651E elevating scrapers. The 651E machines have a custom built floor and elevating system. 657 Twin Auger Scraper The 657 Twin Auger scraper is repowered with a KTA19 Cummins in the front and Cummins 855 in the rear. These are a fantastic machine. Albert and Colin Piacentini repowered all of their B model 50 series scrapers with Cummins to improve the performance. Scrapers Piacentini & Son run a large fleet of scrapers and have many application that they use them in. they custom build mining plants so that the scraper can pull up onto a hopper and dump its load and go again. Photos are 1) 651E 2) 657B auger scraper 3) 651E and tiger 690D 4) 651E elevating scraper 5) 651B and "the Boss" And now, a shameless plug and a big thanks to.... Ashley Verwijmeren Senior Operations Manager Piacentini & Son Mining / Earthmoving / Fixed Plant / Road Haulage M 0419 919 451 T 08 9780 8900 F 08 9725 4736 [email protected] PO Box 308 Bunbury Western Australia 6231 www.piacentini.com.au
More 353FT Information Todays email from Ashley. Cheers Alan. Kim Piacentini was at the auction in the US when the 353FTs were sold. The farmer that purchased them was Mike Brown from Royal City in Washington state. B & G Farms Inc. Mike Brown 12088 Road 11 S.W. Royal City, WA. 99357 Ph (509) 346-2294 Fx (509) 346-2296 There were 11 x 353FTs sold in the auction. Kim travelled over to look at purchasing some scrapers and bringing them back to Aus. We didnโt end up purchasing any items. We have attached a picture taken at the auction. Best regards, Ashley and Kim
wabco scrapers in WA Alan, Great pictures of the Cat/Wabco hybrids. Piacentini were the folks we met at the auction. Indeed B&G was the high bidder on the 353's, couldn't fund the entire lot (or some other such delay) and the machines were split up. Marlow
Alan Awesome photos shows what you can achieve if you put your mind and wallet to it. Bevan
haha i no the one i was in one of the scraper i drive one of goodmans 252
do you cylinders availabe for 229 and 339 scrapers--we have converted several to towed scrapers pulled by D8-D9 & D10 crawler tractors
all you drivers just keep at it and someday you might just be an operator
353ft----still running---- I just stumbled across this site. We own an operational 353ft. We have not used it for a couple of years, but I just fired off both engines about a week ago. We bought it about 4 years ago to do a large project(for us). It was previously owned by a place called ski-world in nashville indiana. I was told they used it to build their slopes. A guy came around every now and then and filmed us using it. He claimed he was making a kids video or something like that. He gave me a copy of the video, but I need to dig. I will see if I have some pics. I did spend hundreds of hours running it and I'm here to tell you that I sucks the heck out of fuel, but it moves alot of dirt too. Sort of makes you feel pretty unstopable when you have over a thousand hp behind you. I don't know if this makes sense, but this is what I remember someone saying when they heard it......."You'd have to be queer not to get a woody just listening to it run." I know thats some sort of oxymoron or some crap, but dammit guys I think if you heard it you would understand. We also have a TS-18, and it is dwarfed by the 353.
Welcome to the forum Lightflood, we enjoy talking about the big Wabco's
Great thread-have never seen any in the flesh so its been good to read the comments from you guys,thank you! Neil
B&A equipment had some yrs. ago they got from a coal mine in alabama thay were open bowl and they were huge slow but huge them 2 v8 yamaha's with a d9 behind them would move some earth in a day
need help with serial numbers to get the year of 2 scrapers i have are i have 1 RG Letourneau carryall modle LS serial number s10600 1us7. i am not positive on the last for digits sorta hard to read and one RGL /wabco S92317 DT-2. i am interested in finding the year they were built any help would be great thanks....
Hi akstretch, Your model LS Carryall is a WWII vintage machine. The "US7" in the serial number indicates it was originally delivered to the SeeBees (Marine Construction Battallion). This US7 stamping was common on a lot of equipment used in the Pacific campaign. Your DT is harder to place. They were manufactured from 1957 thru 1968-ish and LeTourneau-Westinghouse (WABCO) sold a bundle of them. What size tires does it have on it ? I may be able to date it from the tires as a change was made to the std. tire during production. This would help to narrow down the date a little.
need help with serial numbers to get the year of 2 scrapers i have are.... part 2 I have wheel info VF1761 does that help wabcoman? if not i am able to go look at the tires later, i also have assembly # vs126 . is that just what plant assembled them? thanks for your help.. jason
Has anyone operated a LW16 rubber tired dozer? They were made mainly for pushloading D Pulls
Tones, I have "seat time" on LW12's and LW16's. What would you like to know ? AKSTRETCH Your DT scraper is probably a 1960 model as I can't see that wheel assembly listed after that date.
Rocket252FT Where abouts in Wellington are those Wabco's of Goodmans shown operating ? I'm trying to recognize the scenery but can't. Is it Churton Park ? That Euclid is a Wabco 222G by the way
No, I think that video was at Emerald Hill, Te Marua - just north of Upper Hutt. Goodmans did one side of the development, John McJorrow did the other. That job has been finished for over a year now.
My 101F at work today Hope these shots warm up you people in the winter cold of the northern hemisphere I replaced the V8 cummins with a C series from a Case 7130 farm tractor 2 years ago. Have only just sorted the oil (over) supply to the chelsea (PTO) drive Nice to have that fixed at last
hi Bigrus nice photos they are a good machine
They look a bit ungainly with the cab up high but access is good, especially now with the straight six against the old 504 V8. They were known as "the travelling s#%thouse"
Glad that I've spent time on this thread. I'd heard about that particular scraper out at Wilcannia a couple of years ago & thought of chasing it for parts. Don't need to chase anymore as its gone to a new home
The hitch
Aussie 353FT's
very nice hope to see some pics of them in action soon.
Man those 353s look massive! I'm gonna have to plan a trip down under to see if I can get a chance to take one for a rip! :notworthy
I was there for the St Helens mess, and remember your Wabcos out there off Tower Road, Marlow. Brings back memories, for sure!
Weaknees, Are these the ones parked just out of Carroll between Gunnedah and Tamworth. Shaun
More than a fair chance, they're fairly rare
Hi Shaun, Yes, that's where our workshop is. Drop in any time. Should have some footage of the going machine in action soon. -Steve
Ex Lowe E/M machines?
Hi Weeknees, Good to see someone operating the 353's. Get lots of photos and videos up soon.
353ft Yes, though I don't know much about their history. Would love to know more. Graemets3, Post #70 on this thread has a pic of one at Prospect in '91, but I can't tell which one, I think it is the one with the blown engines. I put the going machine to work yesterday, slogging around in black mud on a dam. She performed very well in impossible conditions, I have some video footage, but don't know how to post it. -Steve
Hi guys Weakness it must be your lucky day as I was looking for a pic of a wabco for a car forum that I use and stumbled across this forum and thread so thought I'd spend a little time and help you out. That pic of the white 353 at Prospect in post 70 was in fact a machine that I used to operate and did in fact drive it for a period on that job site at Prospect,small world .At the time it had a 333 neck on it(it broke the original one) and as you may see from the pic a 353 neck was not the same neck as a 333 because the nose points into the air which meant you could not see much directly in front of you.So have a look at your machines if one points more into the air than thats the one from Prospect,lets hope Brendan and co did not change it after I left.Speaking of Brendan is he no longer with us? as I thought to myself why don't you ask him more about the machines. So the one I am familiar with was not purchased for Badgerys as Brendan already owned it and quite a few 333's as well and yes as someone has mentioned at full noise they are an impressive bit of gear,wait till you get it flat out in top gear .I had that one doing about 70k's at prospect hit a very large rock dropped by a cat scraper and got the front wheels off the ground and hit my head on the roof,stupid but fun. I remember the site engineer on that job was a real clown and used to race around the site in his Range Rover 4WD wagon in between machines almost driving under the front of mine one day.Well the week after that he parks at the end of the cut directly infront of me,so as I said in that machine I could not see out the front he also stands to the side showing me where to load from and yes you guessed it I put the nose of the 353 through the roof of his car opsI stopped just before I mounted it.I can't tell you how funny it was watching him drive it down the road with the roof on the dash and his head out the drivers window.Those 4WD's have a removeable roof so it was back on the site in perfect condition a few weeks later but he stayed in the office after that:tong.Anyway if you need anymore info ask and I'll see what I can do.Cheers. P.S. Upload the video to youtube or Photobucket(you need to join) and link it from there,you'll figure it out.
Hey Ring In, Looking at the photos of the 353's together, one definately does have a nose-up "333" look about it. I did have photos of Lowes 353 working together but theyre on an old computer, ill see if i can dig it up. Weeknees, keep the photos coming of the big girls!!! Great Stuff!!!
About to go to work, looking a bit better.. I put 1500 litres if diesel into it, and headed for some greasy black clay, to cut the key trench for the next section of wall on a neighbour's dam.
Thanks Jim, Ring-in. I'd love to hear more history Ring-in. I don't know Brendan, is that a company related to Lowe's, or a person? I picked them up from Rockhampton, and they got them from Lowes, plus some bits (diffs, planetries, spare tranny, etc) Here is a sample of the action via photobucket (thanks Ring-in). http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/weaknees/Scrapers/?action=view¤t=Jan2010012.flv
Big That 353 looks huge after the diminutive 101F I run Way back when I first hopped on board a 633 I nicknamed it 'battlestar galacticar' after running 110-15B's. The 353's look about the same, bet they're leaving some deep wheel tracks when they're loaded
Hi Jim Yes I think the one at the back looks to have the nose more in the air and from the vid that weaknees has put up that is not the one I drove at Prospect. Weaknees Ok I may have confused you a little with my post so LOWE EARTHMOVING was the name of the company which was a partnership between two brothers Lawrence and Brendan Lowe.Brendan to my knowledge was the main man and lived on a few acres at Shanes Park he had alot a spares there so might be worth looking into for you.here a quick search on white pages http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/resSearch.do?subscriberName=lowe&givenName=b&location=Shanes+Park+NSW Thats the house and still has Lowes there so must at least be a relative of Brendan. I can't tell you much more about the machine itself I mostly drove the 333's on most sites,Brendan had a couple of CAT 657's which only his most trusted operators drove and the 353 was mostly put with them on other sites that I did not go too. The vid looks good and WOW does that bring back some memories,we drove them alot harder than that as time is money.I don't know how much you know about operating them but you should have a loading switch on the dash which operates an air valve I couldn't hear it in the video.If you are just having a bit of a play then it doesn't matter but it does make a difference when you are serious.Most importantly don't downshift gears on a steep decent especially when loaded,you WILL damage the trans if you keep it up,brakes wear out quick as well we always just dropped the bowl on the ground when wanting to stop.I think I read that you are on the north NSW coast I travel to Port Macquarie every now and then and might stop in and give you a quick hello if you are looking for some Wabco operating tips.Cheers and put up some more video maybe some from inside the cab that would be good.
Hi Ring-in, The load 1 load 2 travel switch panel is dead - the scrapers had a hard life in Rockhampton, they will take a while to get back into good condition. All I can do at present is use either the front or dual accelerator pedal. It may not look like the old girl was working hard in the video, but she was sinking 10 inches into the black mud even just travelling, so really on a steep climb the whole cycle. She just wouldn't go any faster, and was often touching 100 deg at the end of loading - ambient temp was 41 deg. I did have her up to 5th gear on the road over - that was exciting! We also don't have any 353FT manuals yet - just a service and parts manual for the 333FT. That makes air and electrics a bit difficult until you get to know the machine and work it all out.
Hi Weaknees Just out of interest who owned them at Rockhampton and what were they working in.
Hi Weeknees, Ill dig up my Wabco Australia book, those two 353's i think were imports, worked at Christmas Island and came back to Australia under Brendan Lowes company. Ill search the Wabco book and dig out the BPA numbers. I dont recall seeing these for sale anywhere, how did you get onto them? One day im going to come up and crawl over them........(with your permission of course )
Hi Guys Ref Jims post and as listed in Phil Gowenlocks book.." Wabco Australia " the following units are listed: 1979...2 x units shipped to Christmas Islands..Aus SN's AHS2678 and AHS2679..both fitted with BM17D pans 1984......Aus SN AHS2788 1985.. .Aus SN AHS2787
Weakness these are just my thoughts as I don't want to sound like a hero,its your machine you drive it your way. That makes life hard when you are getting serious with it,I take it that its a single switch with 2 positions load 1 is general driving and load 2 is for actual loading. Thats a shame from my understanding they are a really good machine but they are a bit fragile and don't take abuse very well. To me it looked like it was traveling to fast while loading,you are in first gear?The loading setting I was told gives the hydraulic system more power during loading and to me felt like it slowed down the speed that the machine moved forward.At the start of the cut I always dropped the bowl in deep and loaded up the elevator motors then gradually lifted the bowl as I went along.If the elevator motors started to stall (you can hear the front engine load right up) and it was to late to lift the bowl as this takes more power from the engine I would jump on the front motor pedal.This would just about stop the scraper from moving forward and clear the elevators backlog then you could continue on.I have not experienced the type of mud you have there but have loaded thick red clay,they just seem to load better by moving slowly forward with plenty of depth in the cut. Fixing the loading system may help with temps. Cowboy
Hi Jim, Ray C, Serial numbers are complicated - I thought the front would determine the machine... Rear plates are: -AHS 2787, with front plate (made in Aus) AGP 1694, which is operational, and -AHS 2788, with front plate (made in US) GP 32076. This is the machine which had a reasonable 12v-71, and a badly running engine, and the good one threw a rod outside. They pulled both engines out, and there it sat. It looks to be the machine Graemets3 photographed, maybe with a 333 neck as Ring-in described. It has the straighter body. I don't have elevator gearboxes for it, though they are supposed to be just lost...
Thanks Ring-in, I want you to post as much as you can remember - I have been operating 101G's for 25 years, but these beasts are all new to me, and your experience with them has great value to me. I live near Gunnedah, north west NSW, drop in any time. I didn't bid on a parts book and service manual for the 353FT just last year on eBay, thinking "well, I am never going to have something that big...". I bought just about every other wabco manual, including 333FT, so out of luck there. Haven't seen one come up since. Re loading options, it is a three position switch, Load one, Travel, and Load 2. From the leaflet (also eBay..):
I love my 222 too! (well, V power C and Hancock..) They were part of a great fleet of 777 cat trucks, a 100 tonne DeMag excavator, several smaller excavators, and D10 dozer privately owned doing a real estate subdivision, at Zilzie bay. They seemed to be working in sulphuric acid sand and rock..
Change of pace, for Big Rus, my 101G in action this week http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/weaknees/?action=view¤t=Jan2010018.flv Hope that works, my friend, Ray C (not the poster here), who has Inter E211's, helped me out driving this week. First time I had a chance to film it, I'm always driving it. -Steve
353 Op and Maint Manual Hi Steve I brought a 353FT op & maint manual a while back...so I can scan any relevant info and send to your e-mail if your interested Ray
Hi Ray, I would love a wiring diagram scan if possible, it is great to know someone with the manual! Steve
Manual Hi Steve Do you want to send me a PM with your postal address and I will send you a copy of the manual...the manual is not huge...aprox 70 pages...no problem to copy and happy to send ....great to see a 353 preserved and in operation...and maybe one day a chance to see in operation Ray
Weaknees,I was talking to Brendan Lowe when he sold those machines and said they were going to Queensland.In the mid eighties I saw one of these machines in a yard in Albury and it had been repossesed from an outfit around Bourke or Wee Waa called Baldy Fletcher so it may be possible that Brendan got it from there.I know one of Brendans old operators here in the Hunter Valley called Mick Radatz who used to drive them and said how good they were but they wouldn,t take the pounding or abuse on rough ground compared to the cats with the cushion hitches.
Not a problem when I stumbled onto the forum and knowing how rare they are I felt compelled to offer some advice,you have spent a considerable amount of money to purchase a rare machine which if broken through lack of knowledge could be a huge headache to repair. The operating page you have posted about the loading 1 and 2 has now jogged my memory.We never used load 2 as traction was never a problem in the conditions I had therefore only initially remembered 2 positions on the switch,looks like you have it covered so thats the main thing.Apart from possibly using load 2 in sand I see no other benefit apart from wet conditions which is to dangerous in my books.I do remember Prospect after the rain the powerslides were fun but it ended with a bit of a drama ointhead.Brendan who had driven scapers from 15 years of age taught me to drive them he was a man of few choice words and he never mentioned load 2. Glad I could help.I also have trade qualifications as a fitter machinist with considerable knowledge of hydraulics/Pneumatics systems and hoses. Thanks for the offer and email,I will get back to you soon.Cheers.
repost of link for my 101G video, since I accidently shifted it in photobucket.. - http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/weaknees/Scrapers/?action=view¤t=Jan2010018.flv And for Ring-in, with great difficulty, as I still need both hands for operating the 353..this is only short because I stalled out the elevators and had to drop everything! http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/...ion=view¤t=drivingWabco353FTscraper.flv -Steve
Hey Steve, I looked at the video of the 353 loading. Looks like it was painted recently, the white is quite vivid on the elevator frame, normally, thats always worn back to metal. Keep up the photos and videos. How many Litres p/hour are you using? What do you think youll hire it out for per/hour? I havent got anything on the 353 except a report by the developer of the 353 Cedric Hurst, who in 1977 wrote a paper for the Society of Automotive Engineers. Cheers
Well i don't know if its just me because I spent many hours in the Wabco cab but that engine sound from there was fantastic,thanks for posting that Weaknees. I think once you get the load panel sorted out you will be surprised just how much of an improvement it will make to loading.I could not see how full the bowl was there but it didn't look right the way it was loading.I have been trying hard to remember the odd few times that I tried to load after forgetting to flick the loading switch and at a guess I think it looked the same as that video.You may however want to check that both elevator motors are working,that happened to me once with a similar result to the video. Lets hope that RayC can provide you with a wiring diagram or is it possible to learn something from the other 353 that you have there or is that one also a mess? One more thing that looked a bit odd in that video was the mounting point/pin for the steering ram (end closest to the cab) didn't look to factory made to me.I do remember breaking one of those pins and saw a few more break on the 333's.It would appear that they are a weak point and might pay to have a spare or two close at hand.Feel free to post more video when you get the panel sorted,I'll be watching,with my sound turned up .Cheers.
Hi Ray, Operation manual arrived today, that is a great copy. Thanks very much. Jim - paint is something I lay about a bit, to every machine I am working on. I always work from the worst ugly bits to the best, it is amazing what removing eyesores does to the 'feeling' about whether the machine is a wreck or a goer- from a hiring customer's point of view. Fuel use - I guess about 80 litres per hour so far. Hiring rate is too high to mention, I will just work on the basis of metres moved, say $0.80 - $1.20 per metre, depending on a few factors. Ring-in - the steering ram head you mention is a home-made replacement, looks ugly but seems quite strong -Steve.
That company was Baldi & Fletcher from Griffith. I worked with those guys in 1983 on 'Collymongel' at Colarenabri doing irrigation storages, although they a couple of '23s out there. I knew they had a 222H but no knowledge of 353s.
More 101F Pics Nice vid Steve, I'll have to make a vid myself My 101F sounds very different now with C Series, just an elbow out of the turbo & fresh air, sounds like its a bigger jigger too A couple of pics with the new engine & one from when I first purchased it Checked the loan statement, can pay out the loan tommorrow. Yah Hoo, we own it at last, no more finance You beauty
Nice pics Russ, she is a beast with that C series. I have a pair of NTC 400's to fit to the dead 353, she won't sound the same, but should go better and cheaper.
HP is +, Torque is +++ Power has gone from 175Hp to 210Hp, was told final drives would tolerate a 10% Hp increase without any dramas but torque is a fair bit more so I've got to be gentle climbing out of borrow pits & change the final drive oils more regularly.:naughty
Hey Weeknees, How are your big white babies going? give us all an update, one of these days im going to come up and visit and crawl over them. cheers
Hi Jim, You are welcome anytime, we can accomodate you if you wish. Bring one of those 252FT's and join the party! I have been flat out on two jobs in the 101G's, and my welder broke his collarbone riding bikes and is out of action for 6 weeks - so just ticking away at them. Brakes and transmission control systems being stripped and rebuilt at present. -Steve
G'day Weakness, man do you have some restoration to do. The company I work for has done the civil work on that subdivision each stage after the bulk earthworks were completed. I have worked beside those old girls with a 672CH JD grader trying to keep up with the amount of rock they were bringing in. They were totally abused, which is how all the gear owned by Zilzie Bay is treated. Run till dead, patch up on the cheap and run till dead again. The one not running died about 4years ago and thats when the two NTC400's were sat infront of it. Because the second one was still being flogged, the parts were slowly robbed from the dead machine. There was never much protection from the salt air on those new motors so I hope they are not too corroded. I believe about 5years ago the elevator chains were modified with I think Cat D3 chains. The elevator drives were destroyed on the one you have running and replaced via the dead one. Lost track of how many times the generators needed repairs. When running they were expected to load mud stone, acid sulfate sand and dune sand. Not trying to depress you but I honestly thought when they left Zilzie the scrap yard was the only destination for them. Working beside the fleet on that site is a very depressing experience for a plant enthusiast. Good luck, It will be great to see both treated as special rather than lumps of metal.
Hi BigfootBushy, Great to hear some more info on the 353FT's history, disturbing, but it is as I figured from the evidence in front of me - and somewhat different to the memories of the owner.. Scrapers always seem to get rough handling unless they are owner-operated. I guessed most of what you said, but I probably still paid too much, I can't help but add to an abused machine its potential value once I have fixed it up. But I didn't want to miss the chance on these, I think they are the last ones I could get, and I wanted two, not one. Time will tell if it was a good business move, but operating those twin detroits is certainly an experience! I would appreciate hearing anything else that comes to mind (or any pictures), as I am trying to get a timeline of the slow destruction of the machines, particularly trying to track down the missing elevator gearboxes - even if they are only cases and bits, that is better than nothing. -Steve
Elevator gearboxes Weaknees, There is a company here in West Aust that had a few 353FT`s and they were wrecked and the bowls put behind 651 prime movers.I will give them a call when I get home in a few days and see if they have the gearboxes still and any other parts that they want to part with. Shaun
Here's who Shaun is talking about... http://www.piacentini.com.au/
Weaknees, When I can i will have a yarn with a bloke that had a lot to do with driving and patching the old girls. He might know where the gearboxes ended up. Seem to remember hearing that they were sent away for repair but the cost was more than they wanted to pay. I never got any photos of the scrapers working unfortunately. Had to get the one running to pull the grader out of the swamp on occasion. Didn't seem to matter how deep I was bogged, the old girl would pull it out at idle. Looking forward to seeing you get them both back up to speed. Have a good one Ty
Thanks Shaun, that would be great. Looks like the 222H had the same gearbox and electric motor - that may help. Progress - New rear bonnet finished - see pics, and transmission control panel now working.
Good to see the progress on the big white girls, where are you located Steve? Love to come up and look them over. How long would it take to drive up from Melbourne? cheers
Hi Jim, Gunnedah, NSW. Takes me about 12 hours with shared driving to visit my daughter in St Kilda. I had you being a Queenslander, don't know why. Do you know Graeme Twigg? He has a heap of small Wabcos, and a couple of large Terex's. -Steve
101f Those things would flat out blow the doors off a 613, ran mine alongside a pair of them, uphill they would go by you like you were standing still. They had a clark transmission with a lockup convertor. Had a new 615 rented, it would stay with them with the ride axle down.
Bonnet fitting to rear of Wabco 353FT, control panel rebuilt with Load 1 now working great - 30 seconds to load in hard grey clay, cutting 400mm deep 4m wide in one bite, awesome to watch.
Steve, What an awesome machine, the cockpit looks to be in reasonable shape, good to get Load 1 operating. What a monster!! Cant wait for more photos. I will have to make it a day and a half trip!!!
Gunnedah I think ima going to have to make a trip up to gunnedah hehe :drinkup
Nice job on the hood, any chance of a video of it loading?
353 FT Elevator gearboxes. Steve, No luck just yet but I will keep looking for you till I find you some.The man I need to talk to at Piacentini`s is on holidays so I will look elsewhere. Great to hear you have got the trans control working.It will be a different machine to work with now. Will keep you posted. Shaun
Steve Great to see the sucesses you are having in resurrecting the 353's. What was the problem with the load switch mechanism? You were right earlier on about the elevator motor being the same as the 222H, both are 7N6 but I am not sure about gearboxes. Love your VPower C'Pull elevator! You did a remarkable job to get it going. Do you know much of its history? As you know my project is an open bowl VPower C'Pull which I never seem to get enough time to work on. I did have it on show last year at the Snowy Mountains 60th anniversary celebration in Berridale and again at the Cooma Motorfest. At least I have it running now after overhauling the engine, generator and clutch. Must come to Gunnedah to see your beauties in real life! Cheers Gordon
353FT Elevator motors. Steve, Have just found out that as Gordon said in a previous post that the motors are the same as a 222H but that is where it changes.The drive pinion for the 353FT is 11 tooth and the 222H is 13 tooth.What I need now is a part number for the motor and part number for the gearbox.In the meantime the search continues. Shaun
Steve Well done to you on getting the loading panel working again and I must say the cabin control panel looks in real good shape.I knew from looking at the earlier video that you would be impressed with the increased loading performance once the panel was sorted out,a night and day difference you might say.From my experience you should now have enough grunt to tackle all but the hardest of hard stuff with relative ease and make it to the stock pile and back to the cut in record time If you have the time I would also be interested in seeing a bit more video from inside the cab loading,this time around it should be alot easier for you to not stall out the motors.Cheers.
Elevator gearboxes Steve, Have found 2 elevator gearboxes here in Western Australia.Piacentini have them and will rebuild them if required before sale.However they do not have the drive motors. Shaun
Wow, that is great news Shaun. I have two brand new motors, and two rebuilt ones, so that is no problem. I am excited enough to get a cummins into the shed and start setting it up for fitting! Thanks for your detective work! -Steve
353FT elevator gearbox serial number
Hi Ray. did you used to work for Barry Andrews or Dolf on the katikati golf course ? Brainzie.
Wabco 353FT on the low loader heading for a coffer dam job at Keepit Dam, and onsite next to a 631G.
Weaknees, what work is going on at Keepit Dam, heard it was to have a big upgrade, who is the contractor and do you know how much earthmoving is to be done?
Hi Gavin84w, yeah, our bankrupt state government has allocated $145 mill to the Keepit upgrade, it is quite a project, mostly carving rocky hills down to lengthen spillways, and a lot of concreting of same. John Holland is the contractor for the first stage (half). There is not a lot of earthmoving, I have my 11 yard and 36 yard elevators there, and there are two 631G's with a D9. But we only have about 60,000 metres to move for the coffer dam, won't take long. It is a nasty little 800 metre long knife edge, 4 metre wide top, 1:1 down the back, 2.5:1 down the front. -Steve
weakness i hope you don't mind me asking who's float is it on. thank you
Thanks Weaknees, who,s 31G are they?
The float is from Boon Haulage (Tamworth and Gunnedah), and the 631G's are a new acquisition for MAAS of Dubbo. I've not met them before, but they are a good team to work with. The Cats came in from the US I think, cleaned up at Dubbo, and starting out on this job.
Wabco Wowed I like the looks of that Wabco, it's a smart looking design and I'm usually a Cat fanatic when it comes to scrapers. I'd love to see it in action along side those 31's. Come to think of it, you don't have a 639 on the job do you? Real nice work you did. Get some video for us.:notworthy
Found Some for Sale 222's http://www.genesequipmentgl.com/equipment_detail.cfm?ID=268&List=None&PicDetail=6#lgpic They list these as 222's, but can't tell if all have steering wheels. 252's http://www.genesequipmentgl.com/equipment_detail.cfm?ID=217&List=aggregate Seems like they have a lot of parts too. Alan
Hello all, found this site by chance while checking out different colours for the wabco 222H. I am the proud operator of the scraper posted above, and I work alongside the other one mentioned that was imported with it. They were indeed ex malaysian army, and they had around 3500 hours on the clock. They were imported by a small private earthmover, who soon after quit earthmoving. My employers were looking for the machine to start their business up, and they came to buy one of them. The guy wouldnt sell them one though, he would only sell them as a pair, and the price was good, so they bought both. Both scrapers were in excellent working order at the time, and being so few hours helps too They only had enough work for one, so the one pictured above sat around for a good 6 months while the other one was out working. When there was a block of spare time they built a custom cab on the idle scraper, and I mean they did it properly. Completely sealed cabs, so no dust at all. Lead sheets in the floor to quiten it down. Complete foam coverage in the cab, no steel showing. The best a/c's they could buy, good enough to keep you cold with no airflow bar the a/c itself on a 40 degree day. The biggest speakers they could fit in the space they had in the roof hooked up to a nice radio with an aerial, so you get service everywhere. UHFs built in too, of course. All hooked up to a custom 12 volt system thats been implemented so neatly that you wouldnt even know it was there. We dont like being uncomfortable :tong After the cab was done (was about a months work for the one cab) they took both scrapers out on site together, and very soon after the other one got the same treatment. My scraper is still the army green colour, and the other one has had a fresh paint job and is now yellow. My scraper recently had a full engine rebuild because it was gutless and smoky, but for some reason the other one doesnt even smoke, its just about like new still, so now they both go hard In short, they are an absolute pleasure to drive, and theyre treated with the utmost respect. I get very upset when something goes wrong with my machine :tong
A couple of things to watch out for Nice to see some low hour machines still out & about H's had a tendency to crack hitches as they were longer in the nose than the G's, so keep an eye around the trunion area. Aircompressors tend to fail about 400-600hrs due to oil. We solved that by putting a seperate little donaldson on the bonnet & direct pipe to the compressor thus alieviating it breathing oily air from the 871. I don't know how many reman'd compressors we went through before a switched on fitter analysed that problem with the correct answer Engine longevity- oil change every 100 hrs filter at 200 hrs, remember 2 stroke GM's get dirty quickly, the cleaner the oil the longer they last That my experience with 222H's Happy loading
Thanks for the warnings bigrus. As far as the compressors go, weve never had a problem. Theyve got the same compressors that they had when we got them, and theyve done a couple thousand hours for us now. We just drain them regularly and they seem fine. We generally do the engine oil and the filter at the same time, 200 hours, but both motors have minor oil leaks on them and tend to use about 5 litres of engine oil every 1-2 weeks. One of the things weve found tend to give trouble is the brakes. The plunger inside them tends to bugger up every few hundred hours and they need fixing up again. And in case you were wondering, we dont overuse the brakes either, we generally use the bowl instead :tong
Cruise control Just remembered an option on the 222H was a valve like a cruise control to hold your throttle down while loading. Years ago, late 80's doing night shift on dam construction, one of the other 222H's brake light would flash as it came out of the borrow pit :beatsme Asked the operator what was going on after a couple of nights watching this flashing light & he told me to release the the throttle hold button he tapped the brake to release it. I never knew of that control before then
Wabco videos to enjoy. http://www.customglassanddoors.com/index.php?key=wabco
wabco 222 I was wondering if anyone has access to a wiring schematic for the 222 , a good friend of mine has a 222 thats he fixing up that was owned by a farmer ,so not sure if everything is correct on the wiring. It would be a great help if someone had one we could look at.
Hi fast, I have several 222 service manuals, let me know the model number of yopur mates' 222, and an email address as a private message, and I'll scan them for you.
hello weaknees Thanks for the help on this, talked to my buddy and he told me it was a c6 LeTourneau somewhere between 1967-1970. I tried to figured out how to pm you and kept hitting roadblocks, not sure if it's because I haven't posted enough. Thanks again
Hi Steve, I was fortunate to meet the Lowes thru Stan Lynch (a great wabco man) and drive the 353 in a tip job they were doing not far from there yard. You have done a great job restoring one of the best scrapers ever made. I remember Brendon saying that the rock had got to uneconomic to excavate using a D10 and 2 657s but he was still self loading with the 353 with the teeth on. Incredible amount of power. You may have noticed that the cabs have been lowered by the Lowes. 2 reasons they looked better and they weren't so high for transporting. The Lowes have a wealth of knowledge on the 333s and 353s and Brendon was a demonstrator operator for Wabco. We currently have 4 252s, 1 259, 1 333ft, 5 222Gs, 1 222F, 1 101F and 2 111As. When I get some time I will post some photos that might interest you. Keep up the good work. Regards Stan
Anyone know the operating weight of a 333FT and the history of the machines that came to NZ? Perhaps you can help Stan? Great stuff Weakness your 353 is credit to you. How's the second one coming along, I'm keen too see more.
Yep, our one weighs in at 60 tonne empty and you need an 11m deck. As far as I know NZ roadmakers had our one new and Cloutmans ended up with it plus two others. One is a wreck at our yard, one in use by us and the other is in Auckland however I think it was the earlier model. Ray C will know for sure.
333FT spec sheet Hi Guys hope these are readable
Hey Alan627B that custom twin auger 657B looks some what familiar I just seem not be be able to put my finger on it hmmmm could someone help me out on posting photos thanks
NZ 333FT's Stan, There were only 3 x 333FT's imported into New Zealand: s/n GP31649 BPA11D - Cloutmans original machine s/n GP31806 BPA11J - Cloutmans 2nd machine s/n AGP1491 BPA11G - to NZ Roadmakers and was delivered in white. This went to work in Upper Hutt 1976 and was sold to Cloutmans after Roadmakers went bust. I think Rex Wilkinson may have also owned this one at some stage. Would love to have a blat on one of your 252FT's when I'm next in Welligton. I trust you're enjoying my articles in 'Contractor' :drinkup
333-353 Hi Stan...welcome to this board and great to see that you have some time to find this link and see how huge worldwide interest is relating to the 333's and 353's You have mentioned how Steve has done a great job on restoring the 353 ....if you get a chance post some pictures of how your 333FT looks ...for I had a chance a few months back to see the finished paint job...and she is a credit to Goodmans....yourself...your dad.....Lance..Vaughan.. I think when you now compare on a worldwide scale Goodmans must have one of the larger fleets of Wabco scrapers still in operation...and they look great!!! The Wabco name may be no longer producing 2010 models but between yourselves and Steve the preservation of the name will live on for a few years yet...and I only hope that there are younger folk out there who may one day get to see these machines working and just admire the impressive size...just as I did 40 odd years ago...and then have a passion to ensure they are preserved...Regards Ray
Wabco 353FT - Another before and after shot Here's a couple more pics, before replacement of the rusted top edge of the bowl, and after repair, paint, and signage:
The Wabco 353FT has made it into the company safety signage for this job - not a great pic, but nice to see the old girl make it into the 21st century still going strong (though the careful observer will see the rear detroit stacks with flaps closed - it stalled a couple of times that day with fuel problems)..
Thanks Guys, You more than welcome to come down and have a go. At present we have 3 x252s and the 333ft working together in Palmerston North but the weather and consent conditions are making it differcult to have a good crack at it. Its that wet palmy clay. Interesting that the 252s load it better than the 333ft. We think it is because the 252s paddles are widder in the bowl and lift the clay over all the cutting edge, not just where the stepdown is. The other day one of the 252s got stuck in a pocket of crap and the D10 went in to push her out,but you have to watch with the curve of the blade that you don't hit the radiator as the pusher pads don't extend very far. Bit to close for comfort. I don't think Wabco really designed them to be pushed. Steve, good to see the 353 working in with the big boys. Do they ever ask you about there age, cause from our experience most of the engineers these days no very little about scrapers and are blown away when the hill disapears before them and when you tell them that the machines are 30 plus years old they don,t believe you. Regards Stan
Stan, Welcome to the forum, you will find alot of Wabco fans amongst the members here, and its a great credit to your company to keep the Wabco name alive! Ive owned three Wabco's. 101F, and 101G and a 252FT, i loved operating the 252, so much better on my back!! Steve, the 353 is looking great and good to know she is working, i hope you get the other one up and running too, what are you doing for chains and spares? Cheers
Hi Stan, Jim, The guys running the job don't even understand the benefits of elevators at all, and they still have me down as carrying 18 cubic metres per load, when I reckon 22-23 is my compacted load (27.5 loose). Also, they place such a low priority on cycle time and haul road smoothing, I think 70% of potential movement is all I am getting at best, 40% at worst. Worst thing is I am paying for the innefficiency. Still, I have learnt a great deal, and ironed some bugs out, and learned to drive it. The other operators have been fun to work with as well, on the wall we had 2 compactors with blades (useless machines, and in the way all the time.. they can't match my point load with 120 tonnes on 4 sq metres), the 2 x 631G's with a D9N, a 627F (I think) joined us late, and now does all the crap cleanup jobs I was doing, 2 x 20 tonne excavators pulling the batters to shape after we were directed to overbuild them by a metre each side (!), 2 water trucks, and a 140H grader which did a great job on ramps and edge rescue. Re elevator chains Jim, the previous owners converted both machines over to wet D4 track chains, and they work brilliantly. 3 sets to make two elevator chains. They look like lasting extremely well. See pic - they look very loose, but seem to roll around nicely. Spares - a fair stock came with the two scrapers - the two dead 12v71 TT detroits, a spare bare VCLBT 5965 Tranny, a spare drop box, two spare PTO boxes, two spare plug-in Diffs (Huge..see pic with my Dad) 4 spare planetries complete, 2 spare elevator motor cages rebuilt, 4 dead to be rebuilt, a dead generator, and the going generator from the second machine - it came with a rebuilt unused Generator and 2 brand new complete electric motors, spare new detroit compressor, and the two Cummins engines each have a new compressor, so I have a spare there as the back motor uses no compressor. Several new serrated flat blades and cutting edge plates also were included, and a set of 6 welded excavator tooth adaptors, with 12 new teeth came, but I would love to track down a set of original ripper adaptors - there were supposed to be 5. I have yet to contact Brendon in Sydney to see what he has left, I know the engines and tranny's are the same as the 333FT, so there may be a few come available there, and I hope to do a run to the US sometime and pick up some dead 353FT parts - I know where a few machines are, not being used. Running the 101G's for 25 years with no distribution agent means I am used to scrounging! -Steve
Any pics of the Keepit Dam job weaknees?
Steve, it's amazing that there are so many clowns in management these days who couldn't tell the difference between their own *** & a hole in the ground Very frustrating :Banghead Nice to see that you've accumulated a few spares
Hi Gavin84w, JH are a bit thingy about cameras onsite, which is weird because the State Park is open to the public and surrounds the two main construction sites, so here are 2 pics taken from public land next to the park entrance: the main part of the Coffer Daqm is complete now, just the rest of the plastic sheeting has to be installed and covered over, maybe a week to 10 days work on and off. -Steve
Hi, I think that there is a pretty good chance that the 259 and 252 pictured in your photos #86 are now owned by my family in NZ. I was interested if anyone knows who used to own and operate the 259 in Aus? In the late 90s Porters imported the 259 from Ritchie auction Brisbane to Auckland for Tuff Earthmoving and then we brought it in about 2002 for work in lower North Island and still going good today.
Thanks Weaknees, yeah some outfits just don,t get the free advertising thing do they, i mean if you are not doing anything wrong what is to not see.
Stan, youll find your 259FT came from Lance Smith Excavations in Bayswater Victoria, he owned alot of 252FT's and i did see a photo of a 259FT in his yard. I will try and find a link to a site which has a lot of history of carting around scrapers on lowloaders around Melbourne. http://www.beamish.biz/ its a great site for you patient earthmoving geeks (yes im one), but you will find your 259Ft in Ted Beamish's photo's online, over 2000 photos, and plenty of Lance Smiths Wabco's, click enter site, click on photos, click on scrapers, over 50 photos there, including plenty of Wabcos including your 259FT Enjoy
252 and D10R on the move Thanks Jim, Attached a few photos of gear being transported recently.
kiwi 333ft The other survivor photos taken last week. any one looking for a challenge in their life here is one .cheers malcolm
Malcolm, Is that the spare Goodman machine or the one of Rex Wilkinson ?
kiwi 333ft HI guys ,This is the original Cloutman bros machine of the 3 it was the white one that was parted out ( an american term) we say wrecked for parts cheers malcolm
Wabco action from '69 Thought you guys might like to see the mighty scrapers at work on a job in Canberra back in 1969.
wabco photos Thanks gord229 enjoyed the photos good to see all the operators working in air conditioned cabs with fm radios no sunburn not inhaling dust or going slowly deaf with noisy v8 gms cheers malcolm
kiwi 33ft Malcolm, I was in Rex Wilkinson's yard on the 14th, must have just missed you. My brother is still there taking up the challenge. The machine will be loaded up to head south on the 22nd. The metal mice have had their way with this old girl, however, she is now mobile and all the big expensive bits are working. A good start to a reincarnation. For those who would like to know the machines serial nos are GP31649 BPA11 D & BM15 HS51565. Apparently this machine and a handful of others made in 1971 -72 were actually designated model BT333F. I will post our progress as it happens.
Kiwi 333 Hi Guys I have been in contact with a cloutman employee (22years) he has a hobby making dvds weddings etc and does a very professional job. He made a 10 minute dvd about 1990 of the 3 cloutman bros 333s working together in the iron sand at NZ Steel mine site ,he has agreed to supply copies to any one interested cost will be $25 nz plus p&p , if any one wants one i will organize this end send me a private message and will give you my email address ( not sure about posting it on here) cheers malcolm ps happy to post any where in the world
Progress - coffer dam complete, pulling down sub wall 2 pics
When I first got into construction when I was 17...I spent about 5 yrs on a Wabco 222D paddlewheel. Absolute beast. Can't hear worth a damn out of my left side cause of that thing lol...but there isn't a CAT scraper paddlewheel system that can compair to Wabco's. I would break a rail or throw a paddle long befor it stopped
Hi Stan Great shots of yoour gear being moved! Am a Wabco owner myself and was wondering how you go finding cutting edges and routers for yours? Having great trouble finding any in Australia for my 229F Cheers Gordon
Cutting Edges Thanks Gordon, We have a supplier in NZ that make cutting edges to order and will measure any machine up and make them to suit your dimensions. They make our main edge up so we can cut them in half and step them down for the side cutting edges when they get worn down a bit and after that they can be used for the side routers as well. We make our own teeth cutting edges up by using Cat adapters and Cat teeth attached to the made cutting edges. Will post some photos and contact details if you are interested. Cheers Stan
Thanks Malcolm. We have got a copy off Cloutmans when we got the 333s and it was well done. I assume its the same one? An impressive site to see the sand being loaded so quickly. The v12s were humming. Cheers Stan
G.E.T. Suppliers in QLD Australia Cutting edges made to order from Alkina in Brisbane & points (vertical pins for "Keech castings" tynes) from Hitachi Brisbane & or Cutting Edges at Summner Park Qld Hope that helps
I need videos these machine for a documental
Wabco scrapers A couple of different ones photos taken in australia early 60s enjoy malcolm
I can see a name on the side of the draft arm but can,t make it out who it is, do you know who,s machines these were?
B-Pull look like Gemmell & Hickey's.. Speedpull May be Jim Abignano"s..
wabco photos Hi Guys The photos were taken by Ian Hendry and the were Gemmell&Hendry machines cheers malcolm
Hi Malcolm, Thanks for that info..Cheers, Fourdee...
Hey Gordon, Just foung a 229G for sale in Aus if you are interested. I will send add if you are keen. Tidy and ROPS and rebuilt front to back. 55k seems like a good price. Have never had any in NZ. Cheers Stan
229G for sale Hi Stan Yes I know the machine! It is owned by Peter Riley near Bairnsdale in Victoria. He also has a 229F (now being parted out unfortunately), and had a 222G and a 222H. From what I know, it is the only 229G in Australia! My bank manager (wife) won't let me buy it! I would love to own it but really can't afford it. I have to say that buying a Cat 623E was the biggest mistake I have ever made. It is nothing but a money sink. I have owned it for 2 and a half years and every cent it has earned plus every excess cent from the 229F, my tax refunds and every other income source, have gone into keeping it going. The other problem is nobody is interested in buying it! I knew I should have found myself a good 222 at the time I bought the blessed thing but the other guys I work with don't like the Wabco's so I have difficulty in finding good operators when I am not in the saddle myself. At least they will operate the 623! Long term I would love to own the complete run of C model Wabco/LW/Letourneau scrapers from the 229H back to the clutch steer. Guess for now I just have to settle for the 229F and C V Power. Thanks for thinking of me! Cheers Gordon
I know i've posted here befor lol....ran scraper for a few years takin a break from the woods. Cut my teeth in construction runnin a ole' 222D. Seen a post about nose slidin....them long snout's are way easier to nose slide than say a cat 623. Used to do it on purpose....was in my early 20's and was still bullridin back then lol....was a hell of a thrill lol. tried it a couple time's on a CAT machine.....ended up stickin one dead on it's nose...thought I was gonna go over on my lid but litterly just "hung there" lol. I run a delimber now and have for years...but at time's i miss runnin scraper. I miss the "racein" aspect of them...we would litterly play Nascar with them with all our operators..absolute blast. Ego fest all the way..When I ran the Wabco I was the only operator runnin scraper for a fledglin outfit....was a long ass time ago....worked for a bigger outfit runnin 10 633's in Reno Nv. Was in a old 633D out runnin 633F's....THAT's called hammer down lol 2 things about that ole' wabco i ran...1..it screwed my hearin for life....straight pipe Detroit lol.. 2. was one dirt hogin mother....would throw a paddle long befor the elevator stopped....damn good mountian scraper.....would go through a solid rock vein like butter...as long asyou can keep the cuttin edge in place lol
OMG...lol...I LOVE IT!!!!...unfortinuatly i live in the most screwed up State in our union...California....that right there would instantly be at least a $50'000 fine...every time you touch water with Iron. Only exception is in a emergency.....I spent from oh..1 in the mornin till 3 in the afternoon once back in 2000 when a bunch of levi's broke durin a huge storm (was drunker than a fish cause it was new years and the boss called me just as I got home from partyin) runnin a old D8 tryin to push a levi back up...in a torrent of water...had water commin over my floor board..was 22 at the time..one hell of a night lol
Just found this web site and it looks very exciting to find other's that think the Tournapull's as we called then were and still are one if not the best production scrapers made. Two of my brothers & I bought the C that my our dad bought new in 1964. It still runs great will still out produce anything of the same size. It is a 222A -CPA6A series with a Hancock scraper. Also a D with an automatic trans. DPA2C series that we used to run before it was traded. Brings back lots of memories.
Welcome Maurice, Yes you've stumbled ont the only web site that tells it the way it really is! We love our LW/Wabco machines and are proud of them. Glad to know that your family is still in possession of probably the best elevating scraper ever made. Love to see some pictures of it when you can. Cherrs Gordon
252 rebuild A few photos of our current winter project! 252 came from Brisbane 2 years ago from Shadforths and we are finally getting round to rebuilding her. Someone might know where it came from before we brought it over?
Gord 229; I notice the name of Peter O'Riley from bairnsdale vic , I brought my 222G of peter ran it for a few years before selling it to Hoss yeaman and his brother in NZ i see theres pictures of it sitting on wharf on page 5,6 or 7 ?? in this thread, sad day when she left, but Hoss is one passionate WABCO man. I still have my 111A just a got to fix a small electrical problem and she will be ready for action, only got a couple small jobs to do with it and i will take some photos/video and post soon Cheers Leroy
G'day Leroy Must have been a very sad day you parted with the 222G (picture is on page 5). From what I know of Peter Riley's gear, it would have been probably the best in the country. Seems Peter is not all that good and is selling his last going Wabco. Shame really because he has been a great source of information and parts for my old darlings! What is the nature of the electrical issues with your 111A? Cheers Gordon
R.G.LeTourneau My dad worked for R.G. LeTourneau for over 20 years until Wabco bought him out and then he transfered to the Wabco Drilling division. I have some pictures of some of the equipment that he helped build. He worked in the home plant at Peoria, Illinois.
Back at work The seasons are finally looking better out here at last. Earthwork maintenance that has not been done for 5 years is now on the go About bl##dy time
Wabco 111A ; Guys does anyone know if and where you would find clackers and contactors for my 111 it has had some mods done to it and i would like to try and put it back to manufactures spec,s if any one can help please let me know Thankyou Leroy
Some ideas For "will fit parts" try an electrical contractor/supplier. Take the parts to him/her & show them what you want. 415 volt items, were available a few years back, when we were after them for a previous employers 111A. For NOS (new old stock) parts, try Alormac in Melbourne &/or Roy Story in Brisbane (if he's still in business) & failing that chase up old contractors who usually still have a secret (forgotten) cache of parts. Good luck
Leroy You could also try my contacts for parts: John McCalla in the US, [email protected] or Dom-Ex LLC. Both these sources have been very useful in getting electrical bits for my old V Power. Cheers Gordon
Thanks; bigrus / Gord229, for that info i will get the ball going asap, i have had her for 8-10 years and i'm wanting to put her back to her former glory, Sorry gordon i didn't reply 14th/9th to the question whats the nature of the elect problem i didn't see the post, Someone has changed the steering clackers to a late model things at some stage in her life that needs 24v DC to activeate the clackers ( which work fine until the battery loses charge )and they pinch the power from the 24v batterys hence they go flat, and there is then not enough power to excite the altenator so no 415V to steer or run the elevators, If i charge the battery's full it will run lovely for about 4 hours depending if it's long or short haul ie; lots of steering or not so this is why i want to return it to manufactures spec's clackers and all.I will post some photo's when i can get one of the kids that will teach me how to do that Cheers Leroy
Leroy Just another thought. You could try Preston's Parts 1800813573 in QLD or Ausparts on [email protected] . Peter Hawthorn is the contact for both organisations (he works for Preston's but runs the other business as an aside). He knows Wabco's really well. The problem you outline, flatening the batteries, seems to me to be not the fault of the contactors but rather the flux bridge on the main transformer. If you are not getting battery charge amps out of the generator with the machine running then you have a problem in the charging circuit. Do you have a manual? If not would be happy to send you copy of the information from my C'Pull manual. Cheers Gordon
Help please. My dad has a wabco C-pull . We need a wiring diagram for it please we can not seem to get it to work properly, otherwise Dad wants to scrap it which would be ashame it is an outstanding scraper.:beatsme:notworthy
Details Model C series no: GP-42982-CPF6-R and on the bowl CM3 'S-61488-CM3-G-SP. Thank you
Hi Charl N.I have a Wabco c pull self loader.I'l get the wife to scan in the wiring diagram for ya.What is not working on the C-pull ?It's usually somthing simple like broken wire or stuck limit switch.Welcome to the forum Charl N.
Thank you td25c ours are an open bowl scraper. The poor thing stand in wind and weather so the wiring are not like it should be from time to time we also get trouble with the contactors for the big motors .
G'day Charl N Welcome to the forum! Would indeed be a shame to see the C'Pull scrapped because of some tender loving care. Sounds to me like the contactors need to be cleaned and reset in order to work properly. This is a weekly maintenance item when they are working full-time. Your scraper is much younger than mine I think going by the serial number. Mine is AGP778 CPF6-H with a CM5 open bowl (AS1876-CM5). If the info from td25c is not sufficient let me know I will scan the various circuit diagrams and post them for you. Cheers Gordon
Pics The last pic is a D7 that we rebuild from a cable blade and a hydraulic operated dozer and finished about a month ago. The machines are used on the farm.The dozer start with a starting engine.
Preserve them Great to see old gear still in working condition, bound to be some information turn up here soon to help you out. The beauty of old gear, is there is no monthly payment to worry about Keep up the good work
Nice Pics Charl! .:drinkup Love those old electric Cs
Thank you it seems the biggest problem are the wiring to and from the dashboard.Lots of switches and wires but to where do they go.
Wabco C-Pull Wiring schematic Heres what I have on the C-pull Charl , Sorry about the quality but the wife tryed her best on the scanning.Hope this helps.Thats good looking Wabco & cat D7 you have.
Thank you td 25c I also hope this work I apreciate it .
Carl N, Welcome aboard! Electrical problems on LeTourneau, FIRST check the batteries, make sure they are fully charged. The machine should be POSITIVE GROUND. When the master switch is turned on the amp gauge should show a 15 amp draw. If not check the brush holder & brush for corrosion. Basicaly the system is three phase with one phase powering the contactor circuits, which each circuit is wired in a series through the limit switch; the control coil; and the acturater switch. I have already have had to make a wiring harness for a C-Pull, but that has been probably 15 years ago. If that helps any. Maurice
Something that is unlikely to occur again Our 333ft in city of Auckland NZ , waiting for shipping.
Great photo Showpony, I would love to see some more photos of the 333FT. What year was this, and where was it going?
Found these Wabco 222G's for sale in the USA and thought I'd post the site so some one more computer friendly can post their pictures here. http://www.machineryzone.com/used/self-powered-scraper/1339861/wabco-222g.html
Hi Jim The photo was taken in June this year, the machine was shipped to Lyttleton, the main South Island port and the nearest port to our yard near Ashburton NZ. It is the same machine photografed by malcolm on the 15.06.10. He must have taken the pictures a couple of days before we turned up with our cheque book. The machine as we understand it was the first 333FT bought into NZ by Coultmans in about 73. Malcolm has also posted shots of the scraper when it was nearly new. The previous owner bought it in about 1992, I dont think it has done a lot since then. It took us a good week to get her mobile, seized injector in the front engine, rusted through piping, rocker covers, air cleaners etc, etc. Surprisingly once we got things sorted so we could start the engines, the transmissions, hydraulics, and yes, even the elevator started up an ran without any dramas. These shots are of the first movements in quite a long time, the previous owner reconed 2 years but a neighbour came over when we started the front engine and said it would have been at least 10 years as he had lived there that long and never seen it move, he thought we were the scrap men coming to cut her up. The other pics are loading up in the wee hours of the morning to beat the Auckland morning traffic, Transcar did the shift they did a fantastic job. I'll post more sooon View attachment 72086
Great to see her alive and kicking again! Such a shame that American Standard decided to stop WABCO, I still think, that even today, they are the best scraper ever designed
good to see old wabco:s still running they where built in my home town toccoa ga sad news though they tore the plant down about 3 years ago
Hello 1080 bobcat Too bad about the plant being tore, I had wanted to come down there sometime to look around. Is there any history of the company when things were up and running left around town? I have a couple of LeTourneau machines. dpull
dpull there are still some people have pictures and other stuff about the company the historcal mumsem has a good bit of stuff on the company there are still some people can tell u about some of history about working there i live about 2 miles from the plant
Hello 1080 bobcat, Maybe I'll still try to make it down there sometime. If you ever get to talk to any of the Oldtimers around there You might ask if any of them had ever got or kept a booklet called The Co-Operator. It came out ever month or every other month and was started in the early 1940's. I have quite a few but need alot more that are missing for my collection. If you find any Please P/M me and let me know if you don't mind. Do you have any LET equipment? I made friends with a fellow who went to work for Mr R.G. in 1947 working on the Tournadozer line and retired in 1987 from WABCO. He is in his early 80's and boy the stories he has told me about the early years. Very interesting to chat with. dpull
dpull my wife has a great uncle went to work with mr RG in1940 he has told me story about working there far as the magzine i only seen one of them and the man who had it would not let it go
Jim Could not agree more Leroy
Gord229; Just by way of interest John McCalla tells me my 111A is The last one Built in Rydelmere N.S.W
G'day Leroy How is the battery charging problem with your 111A going? Have you sorted it out yet? I hope John McCalla was able to help fix your problem. If John is right then the serial number of your machine is AGP 1614-DPA2-**. Let's know how things are progressing. Am off to do some more work on my C'Pull on Friday. Cheers Gordon
Gord229; Gordon the serial is correct john gave me AGP-1614-DPA2-** Gordon can you pm me your email address so we can talk with you about wiring diagrams etc, Thanks leroy
I seen 2 or 3 252's with a bunch of other equipment setting behind a farm house in between Cheyenne and Torrington, Wyoming. probably built alot of soil conservation dams along time ago when the government was paying a bigger part to have them built.
Hey Leroy Email me at [email protected] Cheers Gordon
Interesting to see you guys talking Wabco's, I have a good customer with a 222g I've done alot of work on. My shop in Indianapolis, In was a Wabco dealer at one time. I met a few guys that love these machines and working on them, even the electrics. I know the 222 has been a great machine for my customer and in dry weather she's hard to beat. It's funny I've ordered more than one part from Australia for it.
Leroy, I'll second that! NEVER HAS AND NEVER WILL!!!! The infomation I have on contactor that are on the C-Pull 222 & D-Pull is that they have a Westinghouse Size 2 Type N-Lifeline contactor in them. I have some pictures of these two machines if I ever figure out how to post them. Maurice
Leroy did you get your contacts and or clackers. we have limited supply of used units if you are stuck.
I met a contractor in SE Wisconsin who ran Wabco's... W.H. Fuller (Wayne Fuller). He was a very interesting man. He wanted me to buy all of his iron and took me back in his shop. He had 3 running Wabco scrapers with elevators... I think they were 333's but not sure. I think he said they had 40 yard bowls? He also had tons of spare parts. He spoke very highly of the machines stating that he felt they out performed the Terex open bowl most people use around here. I don't know, I'm not a mass dirt guy. The machines were very impressive though. I know he was still using them on his own investment project in the area just a few years back. Wish I would have taken some pics.
Pictures of our current line up and 222g diff repair
more
what a pround lineup showpony. Is that a 333F or FT? I have a lot of time on the 101 F and G and 252 FT, brilliant machines
Good pics Showpony I like your rails to roll the carrier out, pretty slick. I had one apart a couple of years ago, I enjoyed it. I like the side gears in the carrier that's a cool setup. Nice looking machine.
On the look out for the 333FT universal joint that drives the front Diff. Its a special cause it has a hole thru the centre. Does anyone know of any new ones or good second?
Hi Jim We'll be a prouder when we get them all the same colour. The big one on the end is a 333ft. We like our 101fs they go against the saying "if it looks good it'll go good" but we've made a lot of money with 101fs. The 222 with the wheell in front of it and the 101f with the primer cowl are not operational, we may wreck them out for parts. Stan do you have a picture of your u joint?
Thanks showpony, We managed to get one outa Aussie plus front trans and rear diff so we all good again. Hows your 333FT getting on?
Yair...Nueman dredging had a new 333FT on the Gold Coast in about 1973. Good while it was going, it would take a twelve inch cut in coffee rock but had a lot of issues with the drop box. I've often wondered where it ended up...I sort of got to like the beast.
I was breaking myself in as a heavy equipment mechanic on one of these 10 years ago for a farmer. I think it was 222, not sure. It had the handle bar and toggle switch steering. It had been through a winter flood in the Willamette valley. Completely under water and then sat for 2 years. We rebuilt the the 8v71 and replaced alot of wiring. The generator worked fine once I got some bugs worked out. I got to run it couple of times. Really enjoyed that project. I beleive its still running. I've always liked working on the Big Iron.
Hi stan The 333 is going real slow, the CHCH quake has us flat out with trucks, digger and grader. 333 will have wait. Did you get a new u joint?
Yep, we had one spare that was in OK order and have another good one arriving on Monday. The 333FT is going good again although we have had some repairs lately. Front trans and rear motor, also had to replace turbos stolen from front engine. 333FT and 259FT are being shifted on Tuesday from Hawera to Palmerston so we will have for the first time 3 x 252FT, the 259 and 333 altogether plus 3 x 222Gs. We have about 100,000m3 to get out of a hole in a month and its wet clay that requires discing and breaking up. Hopefully we can get it complete before winter. We have had a really good run with the 222s but terible time for breakdowns with the twins. Funny cause usually its the other way round. ChCh sounds like it has created alot of work down there. I know lots of North Island Drainage contractors have headed south and demo contractors. Catch up later. Cheers Stan
Hey Showpony, that 222G rebuild is really inspiring! I am confidant I am doing a sensible thing in rebuilding scrapers which were the best in the field in their day, and still more than competitive since the latest machines are not better, just more complex electrically and a bit more user freindly in the cab - but it is good to see others acting the same way. I have to do a 222 diff strip sometime, I will copy your excellent roll out frame with thanks for the idea. Attached is a pic of my 222 front support frame - maybe overbuilt, but it is weird and vulnerable feeling lying under that front when the wheels are off! Also, I had a bit of luck with a 353FT parts and an operation manual from an Aussie used book company in Melbourne - they are invaluable to me. Just need a service manual now, and I am all set for my rebuilds.
Slow progress on 2nd 353FT repower I was crook from the start of December until the end of Feb, it is hard to make headway when being sick makes you broke, and unable even to keep non-income earning projects going. But I am back running scraper jobs, not able to drive much yet though, and getting a bit done now on the rear NTC 400. I am just cleaning up and checking out, and making things like fuel lines which were rusted out from being left on the beach for four years..
Hey Steve, I hope youre ok and recovering well, it is not nice to be offline, lets hope youre getting back into driving sooner than later. Id love to come up and do a lap or three in the 353FT cheers
Thanks Jim, drop in any time. I finally got in touch with Brendan Lowe (see many earlier posts this thread), and hope to visit him before to long. It was great talking to him even for ten minutes, he said he still has quite a few machines at home, 333's among them.
Great, Brendan would probably have forgotten more about Wabco's than Id ever learn!!
Thanks again Ray, your copy ran the 353FT for a year Your copy is still in my service truck, and enabled electrical and transmission diagnosis last year that was critical to keeping the 353FT going on the Keepit job. But it is nice to get hold of an original myself.
While I am doing some posts, thanks Shaun for this contact I bought what they had left, and I think I can get two, maybe three elevator gearboxes out of the pallet load from WA.
No worries mate.One day I will be over your way again and I will call in to say g`day.Maybe even jump on the 353 for a load or two.
Shaun, good find, I think ill join you at Gunnedah with Steve, i never thought Id ever see a working 353FT, awesome!
Check This Out Following on from Stans previous post I managed to get some photos of the move of the 333 from Patea to Palmerston North..NZ When your a big fan of Wabco scrapers...and the fact that one of the most impressive fleets is now just 30 min from home...it kind of makes your day. So have enclosed a couple of photos...Goodmans 333FT...thanks to Stan ..Lance ..Vaughan and the team.
Wabcos Just to add to previous post...heres another photo that I took a few months back...the 333 and a couple of 252's....looking good and a credit to Goodmans.
Jim, I will keep you posted when I head over.It will most likely be early next year. Shaun
Wow, nice pictures, Ray! Looks like they really take care of their equipment. :drinkup
Those 252's are very neat looking machines As is the 333FT, together they would really shift some dirt.
Some video of roadbase loading in a small pit - Wabco 353FT ...with some difficulty from photobucket - doesn't seem to like the file. http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/...bco 353FT/?action=view¤t=DSCF7785-1.mp4
Try again with tinypic hosting View My Video
Too cool...for a steering wheel
Hey Weakness Love the video, the 353 looks and sounds great! The photo Buckethead posted looks like your old Vpower! Great machines, thanks Buckethead! Cheers Gordon
More Wabco pics! It's not letting me put pics up directly, for some reason, so here's the links.
Jim Abignano Hi All. I am the son of Gennaro Abignano otherwise known as 'Jim'. I have stumbled accross this site and thought it may be an avenue of sourcing some old photos of my father and his jobs as we are currently compiling a biography of his life - so far. If anyone is able to assist, you can send me info at: [email protected] . Thanks.
Would be really keen to get a copy of the biography when completed if that is possible, i live in Sydney and have known of the Abignano name for 35 years or so. I have some old W & J (NSW Cat dealer in Abignano,s era) that have some Abignano stories in them, good luck with finding the info and pics.
101f on tracks Cleaning out rail tunnels in Dunedin NZ
More
G'day leroy Just wondering if you ever fixed the charging problem on your 111A. I did PM my email address but never heard. Cheers Gordon
Gord229; No i'm still playing with this i have the generator/alt and engine out and my man is still looking at it i will get in contact if we don't have any luck.I just found how to open pm's, thanks Gordon i'll keep in touch
Hi This thread is amazing ... contains lots of information. I got to know many things here and I like all the pictures attached here. The pictures were taken beautifully showing each and every part from very close. Thanks for sharing. _____________________ LogSplitter
Nice pics of the 101F Showpony, looks like a funny and precision driving job! I have some video of dropping the 353FT over an 8ft sheer gully wall, I wasn't game to film going over the 10ft edge, that was a bit wild, but she made it OK. I have yet to find a way of sharing 10mb plus videos.
Hi Weaknees Not a great deal of prescision required but comms where important as the tunnel has 2 tracks and one was still running trains, The other that we cleaned out was lifted and leaned against the tunnel wall so we could get in with the scraper. The big worry was air, the tunnel is 900m long. Its quite reassuring on the 101 sitting up right on the front as long as you are moving forward youre getting reasonable air. before we started they where using a small excavator and trucks. The man on the digger had to carry a respirator. The 101f was a good solution. Sounds like you are keeping the 353 busy, dont tip her over, a big girl like that wouldnt take kindly to being tipped on her back. Hows the other one coming along? We have just scored a 250km3 job so the 333ft is getting the big overhaul for it, We should have it up and running by September, I,ll post pics of progress.
http://vimeo.com/27167481
111A electrics Hi Lee Make sure you check the DC switch on the dash is working, if that is OK check the DC rectifier in the back of the dash panel, if that is OK your rectifier plates could be shot, they are coated with selinium which deteriorates with use usually about 5 to 8 thousand hours. We used to get them recoated through the local power authority, but this is going back 25 years. Other than this your brushes may be worn out. In the 80s I had a 111a that refused to fire up the generator, everything was replaced or renewed and it refused to make power, we checked and rechecked all the components and circuits and found nothing wrong. We knocked off at 2am went to bed came out the next morning after studying the books over breakfast, with the conclusion the only thing it could be was a lack of DC voltage getting to the brushes, I ran a lead from the DC rectifier to 18v DC terminal on the brushes and whalla away she went. I still dont know why this worked as the circuit that does this was checked out as OK. Maybe the fields need to be polarised before the Genny will work, I dont know as there was nothing in the manual about polarising the generator . Perhaps someone else can enlighten us on this point. We have a lot of bits if you need any, you can pick them up when you get here. Weeknees that 353 is awesome, when I get to Aussie we are going to have a heap of gum bashing to do. 333ft ejector ram removal, start of a big job. we wanted to fix the flaking chrome and rust before we do test loads to find more problems and clean the garden out of the bottom of the bowl, hopefully there will be a usealble floor in there.
G'day guys, just come across this site........interesting reading , good to see you're getting the 353s back into action weakness, in a lot of situations I would still rate them as 1 of the most productive scrapers ever built. Brendan Lowe
Welcome Brendan! If you are willing, I would love to hear about some of your projects and scraper experiences over the years. And we all love picture here...of scrapers and jobs.
Hi Brendan...and yes a big welcome to the site...your name is known very well in the Australian circle as well as over here in NZ..as you have probabaly seen by the previous posts on this topic.We would all very much like to hear your stories as well as any photos that you may have kept of the 333's and 353's. Regards RayC
Yes I echo the words of welcome! Any contributions you would like to share with us Wabco enthusiasts would be very welcome. Kind regards Gordon
Gidday from NZ Brendon, Good to see another Wabco man on board. Real pleasing to see your old 353s revived and going well thanks to weaknees. Cheers Stan
Thanks guys, just need the time now to drag out some pics from over the years.........sadly i never took as many as i should have and between kids and ex wife i dont think there are as many left as there was......but i do have some video footage taken off Dads old home movies of the 333Fs..........that was the days when the 1st thing u did was replace the mufflers with straight pipe so they sounded right hehe
Welcome Brendon, would love to hear your Wabco stories, best scrapers ever built IMHO
Hey Showpony, it's September! Post us some pics of the 333FT! What do you do with those rust areas on ram shafts, the pic of the floor retract ram had some? My only remedy is to clean off the burrs as best as possible and not think about the new seal getting cut, or cough up for a new shaft assembly from my local engineer. My hoist rams on the 353FT have a lot of tiny flaking of the chrome, and I am not looking forward to the inevitable.
NZ Roadmakers 333 Hi...well terexkerry has some great photos so helping to post for him...to comment
Roadmakers contd A couple of more great shots from terexkerry
Opereted this 333 for NZ Roadmakers in 76-77 She was brand new on this job. Was not on the job long and it broke in the gooseneck. Kerry .
What part of kiwi land were those pics taken in?. Didnt know Roadmakers had a 333 thought Cloutmans Bros at Waiuku in the iron sand were the the only ones that had 333s. Cheers RDG.
Wabcos RDG Those were taken @ Kingsley Heights which at the time was a new subdivision in Upper Hutt.Roadmakers became Preformance Construction, they went under.333 went to Davidson in Huntly He went next (Feast took over his contract) then to Cloutmans.Goodmans have this one now not sure if it is their parts one or the one thats going Kerry
Hey guys go the terex power thread to see some real scrapers in their hey day, where pioneer pete was pointing the way to the workshop to all the wabco and cat scraper operators. cheers kerry!
I remember that job at Kingsley Heights. I had to reposess two of Roadmakers Cat 623B elevators from that job (I was working for the Cat dealer at the time) and drove them from Upper Hutt through to the branch at Naenae with just a pilot vehicle out front. I remember seeing the 333FT with the broken hitch. From memory it occurred on the LH side near the steering cylinder mounting
Welcome Brendan, Hi Weaknees, new shafts was the only option, pitting was too deep and we did not want to risk chrome flakes in the hyd system. Cost was $5500 nz, pretty reasonable as the shafts had to be drilled. The steering rams and left hand bowl rams are going to need a reseal once all the gremlins have revealed themselves. Once we got the floor rams in we were able to eject 10 years of rubbish, ragwort and hemlock, to find the floor in good nick. It was then, off to get a the first load in probably 10 years, lots of smoke and good noise. Shes but not ready for work yet, we need put a few more loads thru at home to fix the gremlins, mostly oil and air lines. Once these are dealt with she's off to the engineers to have the rust in the front cowl , cockpit and rear bonnet removed after this we'll bolt on the new air cleaners that are due in about 4 weeks and then we'll see what happens!! It amazes us, that after so long, and a careful inspection for poor connections, chaffed or split wiring the electrical system fired straight up. I have video footage of he first load I will try to post it, either way I will get stills of the next run and post them asap. these missions always take longer than you tell your customers and bankers.
Guys new book out out on Wabco scrapers written by a mate of mine Phil Gowenlock.Check it out on his Tornanet site.Hope I can put this here Cheers Kerry.
I might get banned for this but here goes Richard(WABCO MAN) I have never got over when you where on the bones of your butt,I helped you out by buying All your models brochures and all your photos for alot of cash at the time .After I paid up front what did you send me Richard Have the balls to ring me I get sick of you putting up photos over the years that are rightfully mine.As far as all your seat time I happen to know you could not drive a BLOW FLY into a butchers shop.Kerry Phone 0220735565 looking forward to this
terexkerry; A bit harsh but funny
I got off the topic so sorry about that, its quite funny though I have had several calls from extremly well known contractors both from Australia and New Zealand in total support of what I wrote.Why carnt people just be honest about their SEAT TIME instead of making a fool of themselves.My correct no. by the way is 0220735562 I obviously havnt had enougth SEAT TIME on this computer.Take it easy TerexKerry
For all you Westinghouse Air Brake COmpany blokes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V13xd0LndX8&feature=related
Some more video of the 353FT - I've given up on vimeo, it just won't upload properly, so back to the old youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQrvreVqW3E This was a road repair job after floods washed away the road at the end of an irrigation field. I got that book on cd from Phil, Kerry. It is so good to have the record and pics of a bygone era when big machines were built here, not just unloaded at Melbourne port.
And another one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8SgnB5nZr0 Apologies for the shaky footage due to zoom, but this gives a good feel for the awesome power and speed of the 1,050hp twinpower elevating scraper. Twin 150 hp 3 phase electric elevator motors power a modified elevator system - the usual roller chain has been replaced with cat D4 wet track chain for much better service life.
Instant Road Wabco 353FT spreading gravel - you could not beat it for gravel sheeting, the road just seems to grow behind you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOl_yzrul4U
Gravel loading This is the other part of the road sheeting operation - 45 seconds to self load 27 metres of gravel out of the pit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rELFjEIpk6g That's it, I've caught up on my video backlog.
333ft cobweb evac. Not as nice or as quick but were getting there. 333ft cobweb evac. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9rWPZ6LTAg
More troubles, just turning around in the yard and no steering no bang no drama, the eye just parted company. A good thing it wasnt loaded and travelling at speed.
Lucky, Showpony. I broke both rod eye pins a week apart about 3 months ago along the grease hole - pretty freaky the first time, the bang was loud and the cab kicked away to the left in a cut deep in a borrow pit - took half an hour to climb out backwards. When I think of 2 months of 40km/hour descents off the Keepit Coffer dam job, I think that might have broken the old girl's neck, and mine.
Hi Steve...Nick/Hoss...thanks for posting info on the 353/333...even though you guys spend a fair bit of your time with these machines...its great that you both can take your time and less us folk...(who can only dream about owning one of these machines!!)...know about how they are all going...so many thanks to you both..for the photos and video footage...just love the DVDs with the twin V12's roaring away. Nick/Hoss pity about the broken arm...but as you say better than in the yard than at 40km/hr....I believe the 333 at Goodmans had a similar fate just prior to Stan buying the machine...so I think that also had a few heavy weldings done.... Did you guys ever get my earlier e-mail... Regards to you all..Ray
Hi Ray yes we got your email. It would appear steering ram ends could be something to keep an eye on. Steve I also managed to find 333ft service & parts manuals on ebay, must be the place to find them.
W A Stevenson & son Had a couple of these when i was younger (lots younger)I could not understand how or why it had no front wheels or why it didnt fall on it,s nose, They were on a Dam site in Waitakere Ranges also at the Avondale racecourse, The Downers had a few of them at Hunua Dam and Huntly mIne they were called Widow Makers. I understand you had to cross steer like a Crawler going down hill ,you found your self heading for the scrub or you fell over Probably got squashed in line of duty
Hi Kerry. Thanks for the heads up about my new Wabco Scrapers book. Anyway, the gooseneck story: I had the master serial number book for all Australian and NZ Let/Wabco imports into both countries. The machine you mentioned is the one Stan Goodman has now, I'm sure you already know. That machine and a sister machine were imported into Australia (one enroute to NZ) from Peoria and were split for sea shipping in the U.S. On arrival in Australia, they were re-connected and the Roadmakers Ltd machine was destined for NZ. However, according to the serail number book, upon re-connection at the wharves in Australia, the tractors (B-Pulls) were re-connected to the wrong scraper or vice versa, which ever way one wishes to view the situation. This was later discovered when the engine and other s/n's didn't match. Since the pans were already re-connected by this time, they simply changed all the serial number plates around and the Roadmakers Ltd machine was shipped on to NZ. This change of s/n data was recorded in the Wabco Australia Master Serial Number book. As you say, the king-pin snapped clean in two shortly after it was placed in operation. One wonders if the above saga had any bearing on that.
Hi Phil, Welcome, and thanks for your terrific books! You mentioned above your serial number book, here is the text from a previous post of mine - "Serial numbers for the 353FT's are complicated - I thought the front would determine the machine... Rear plates are: -AHS 2787, with front plate (made in Aus) AGP 1694, which is operational, and -AHS 2788, with front plate (made in US) GP 32076. " Can you shed any light on their history Phil? Regards, Steve. Just for interest, attached is a pic of a crane I just bought (damn eBay, my long suffering wife may yet kill me)
G'day Phil And as Steve has already said, welcome to the site where all us Wabco men can share our stories of both joy and woe. Really enjoyed the new Wabco Scrapers E-book but was a bit dissappointed when I couldn't find a picture of the VPower C'pull open bowl. Have to admit though that I am proud to see my C229F is in the book (it is one of the RC Keath machines). Kind regards Gordon
That 229 you have restored Gordon looks so good, I can see its glow all the way from Canberra to Gunnedah!
Hi Steve, Iโm glad you enjoy the books. We should be able to put this together. Your machines are listed in Wabco Australia - check your book on page 297 for the Australian โBโ Tournapull serial number history. The serial numbers on page 297 were complied from the master serial number book. The first machine, AGP1694, is a U.S built BPA17-D series Tournapull (the 353FT tractor) re-plated as an Australian build, which it is not, and delivered new in Australia in 1984 to Camide Pty Ltd of NSW. The AHS2787 BM17-D (353FT) pan you show connected to that machine was originally delivered in Australia connected to another BM17-D Tournapull, AGP1693, again, re-plated as an Australian build but actually a U.S built machine and delivered new in Australia in 1985 to Baldi & Fletcher Pty Ltd of NSW. The second machine you have GP32076 is another U.S built BPA17-D series Tournapull. This is one of two machines that were delivered to British Phosphate Commission on Christmas Island in 1979 and was โallocatedโ an Australia serial number AGP1673 since it was serviced by Wabco in Australia. It was connected to AHS2678 (BM17-D pan), again, โallocatedโ an Australian serial number for the same reason. That explains why that machine has a U.S serial number. The pan you have connected to this machine AHS2788, was originally delivered in Australia connected to your AGP1694. The other British Phosphate 353FT was GP32072 with AHS2679 pan. These two 353FTโs ended up in Australia. This machine (or remnants of) could be somewhere in Australia. These are the machines on page 264 and 265 of Wabco Australia. So, all the s/nโs stack up. Somewhere along the line they could have all been owned by the same company and the pans and tractor units changed around for whatever reason. Thatโs a guess. In summary, two came direct to Australia, two went to Christmas Island and all ended up here in Australia. Nice crane, we'll see if we can figure it too. Cheers Phil
Hi Gordon, good to catch up with you guys again. Glad you enjoy Wabco Wheel Tractor-Scrapers. You are absolutely right of course, problem was I could not get my hands on a good photo of a "working" CPF-6 C V-Pull and C Fullpak and was reluctant to use a brochure type photo. At least we got the Keith 229 in. Talk soon Phil
Hi Phil.No worries I hope the new book is going well for you.I still laugh about the times we worked together for NZ Roadmakers in 1976 it was great.Phil have a look at the Terex power section and you will see some real scrapers.Kerry
Hi weakness. It sounds like the previous owner swapped bowls at some time as they were both original when we had them, ex camide and ex baldi and fletcher. we did replace the front fuel tank on 1 of them [with serial plate attached] with a tank off 1 of the Christmas Island tractors during a refresh one time
I remember those cranes, toggle switches to turn em and where my dad worked at Villawood Peter Weiland had a couple of them, in the end he robbed all the rear tyres off them to keep a 200 ton roller going Brambles had on the F5 freeway out past Menangle, this must have been around 1979 i think and was a really simple set up 5 tyres wide with 20 ton concrete blocks either side of the tyres and would pivot around on pins that connected it. The pulling unit was a 353 or 333 Wabco from memory. School holidays going with tyre fitters to all the OEM,s in Sydney W & J, ANI Komatsu, Tutt Bryant, Blackwood Hodge the one thing i remember was the Wabco plant at Rydalmere cos it had it,s own canteen and as a young fella food was just that bit more important than yellow iron.
Hey Phil Don't suppose you know the paint code for the Wabco yellow do you? My guess on the 229 proved to be a bit too bright and I know that at least one member on this forum is looking to respray the last 111A ever made. Cheers Gordon
Phil; How many 252FT's did Wabco make, and Does anyone know if there is any 252FT for sale ?????? And yes Gord i'm still looking for the paint code for Wabco yellow getting closer to paint i'll post a few pics soon, Leroy
Thanks Phil, that is very useful info, and Brendon, swapping the fuel tank and plate would bring about the situation we have! I am still planning to come down and see you Brendon when I can make time, if that is still ok. Leroy, the Preston's Parts fellow who still remembers Milton's extensive knowledge base says the owners of 252FT's will not part with them. And that 222FT (a H I guess) that Phil has a picture of in his new book would be a handy machine I reckon, if it still exists. - Steve
252's Heres a few photos from Stan on their current Job....check out the condition of the scraper fleet
I was talking to Steve Gill of Dempsy Wood in Auckland this week and they have just purchased 3 252s x Genes Equipment US. These where the only 252s I knew of that where for sale. 2 are runners the other is spares plus a forty footer full. The price they paid was less than you would pay for the water and oil in a 627g. Damn!!
Hey Gordon, no I don't. In fact, when I painted my Super C Tournapull and LP, I was looking for the same answer. In the end I had an LeT brochure computer matched by some industrial paint people and approved the sample and production of a special brew of about 60 litres. Well, it was all one big disaster on the machine, in the end I couldn't stand looking at it. It was a bit like JD yellow. Anyway, by a stroke of luck a movie company wanted the machine for the movie War in The Pacific and painted it U.S. Army drab. On return, the deal was they repaint it back so I chose old Cat yellow. That looked really sharp. Cheers.
You are welcome to visit anytime you are down this way Steve, I think most major paint suppliers would have a listing on your paint Leroy......we mostly used Lacnam, they list paint for every machine we ever did.
Early Wabco / Letournae paint was Highway Yellow..........i think the same as old cat yellow, late Wabco yellow was Golden Yellow
Hey Leroy, Seven 252FT's are shown as Australian deliveries. If you have Wabco Australia, see page 293 on the C Tournapull build history. That data came from the Australian build / delivery history records and is dead accurate. The first was in 1977, GP46387-CPA17-E with S-66893 CM17 scraper. I'm told more have arrived second hand into Australia over the years and some have been exported out again so who knows how many are actually here or in NZ? Stan Goodman will know for sure about NZ numbers. The copy of the Wabco global serial number book was stolen and I no longer have it. While it had the serial numbers by year say from s/n XXXXXX to s/n XXXXXX, it had chunks of serial numbers missing within s/n blocks, giving rise to the often repeated claim that manufacturers in many industries often do this to make it look like more have been made and sold than is actually the case. Of course, I'm only repeating what I have heard. I can't tell you at this stage the world-wide number for 252FT's. There were Australian and U.S builds. And on top of that, Rimpull offered remanufactured 252FTs as the WD252 after Wabco shut shop. Now I'm confused! Cheers
Great photos can operate the scrapers but not operate this darn computer. posting pictures.Kerry
Brenlow; Great photo's how old are the pic's and please post plenty and mate thank's for the advise on the paint, tournaphil;Thankyou for that info on 252FT's, That book Wabco Australia Where can i buy a copy Thank's Leroy
Top pics about 10 years ago and last pic about mid 80s........i got heaps of pics but i also lost heaps....including a heap on this computer i cant find now, they will take a while to scan and resize but heres a cupple more
I better put 1 up of weakness's pride and joy before i go to bed
Ouch.... now you are freaking me out Brendon!!! The darn things are so heavy in the back end I had begun to think that was impossible - 25 years driving scrapers and I've never put one over. I will be a bit more careful on the 353FT now Brendon.
make that 30 years - I lost count. I've seen a few scrapers turtled by other folk, but I never photographed them.
wasnt the scrapers fault Steve.........operator dropped his smoke and took his eyes off the road, I put a 333f over when i was about 16, you remind me of the guy that owned a few 862 John deeres on a job i was on 1 time....he was telling everyone one day how unstable my 333 looked and the next day he put his JD upside down on a batter i had been working all week............the whole job had a good laugh
Hi Brendan This site is just growing better everyday with postings such as yours...It would have been amazing to have seen large fleets of 333's working...which now is only history in the past....Contractors who know the potential of elevating scrapers are mostly posting on this board...and I think its been said before...Its a pity that Wabco no longer make scrapers....thanks for posting the photos...Regards... Ray
Nice pics! I am curious about the white paint on some of the Wabcos, was that from the factory? All the ones I have seen up close were yellow.
You're welcome Leroy, happy to share. You can get the books here: http://www.tournanet.com
Kiwi 333s HIi Guys OF the 3 333s to come to nz it was the last one ( the white one) that was broken up for parts, Even though it was the latest model it gave more trouble than the older ones. This machine sat around for along time coming to NZ after a mining EXPO in Kentucky , It was at ISP in Penrose for a long time also. It would blow a lot of blue smoke on start up ( terex kerry can probably remember that) I was at ISPs yard the day it was loaded onto Lendichs transporter to go south it got half way onto the truck and ran out of fuel , So here is the ISP salesman Ron Chambers (a good guy) walking back and forward between the 333 and the Diesel pump with a watering can filling this big scraper up getting a cheer from us every time he came past with his watering can. It was also broken in half on the way down being too heavy for a bridge. As can be seen from the following photos the white 333 had rear mudguards and outside mounted air cleaners .As I see it Yeatmans have the original one with no cab Goodmans have the 2nd one and the 3rd one was broken up for spares. I still have some dvd of all 3 working together at cloutmans plus a 2 minute one of the white one at wellington brand new if any one is interested. The photos of a 333 arriving at the mine in two pieces is the original machine cheers Malcolm pic 1&2 the original 333 3&4 the white one at ISP 4- Goodmans 333 leaving Cloutmans 5&6 The 1st 333 ariving
2nd lot sorry the pics got muddled up
Sorry got pics mixed the one above is the white one working at Cloutmans ' and the last one is Goodmans 333 leaving Cloutmans
Hi Malcolm,That white 333 did smoke real bad on start up and there was no end of trouble with the electrics most days ISP were out to it.Lucky there was TEREX TS14,s to keep the production up.The day it left Wellington on Lendichs transporter I was driving a TEREX TS14 from Upper Hutt to New Plymouth and had to wait at the bottom of the Haywards Hill in case it needed a tow up.(It didn,t) just thought I would mention the TEREX there to help the Wabco out.Take it easy Kerry.
Brenlow;On page 31 that 333FT beside the old F100 ute has hungryest hungry boards i have ever seen, Leroy
G'day Ray. I agree completely, Wabco definately had the most productive design when it came to elevating scrapers at least.....with a Cushion Hitch and a few tweaks to improve reliability there would be no beating them. Out of everything ive operated in my life..and I still love it... I still look back at the Highway work in the 70s on 333Fs as the most enjoyable..... no cab and straight pipes blowing off the Cats. Wabco in Australia at least went to white paint in about late 70s early 80s
Leroy. That was a 333CSF I demonstrated at a power station...70 cubic yard.........took about 3 weeks stuffing around to do the demo because of our freindly unions at that time
Bayswater Power Station. 1 of first scrapers to start and the last to finish there bar the 613 right at the end
Hi Malcolm, Great pics turning up of this thing. Here are a couple of pics I took of Roadmakers 333FT being loaded on their float for shipment to Rex Davidson. I was working for Roadmakers at the time with terexkerry. This was just before they finally went under. If I am correct, the KW and Drake float had already been sold to Lendich Bros Ltd by this time. I don't think this machine would have much over 1000hrs on it when it was shipped out to Huntly. It had spent most of its time split in two sitting on blocks with a snapped king-pin. The s/n of the tractor was AGP1491 (assigned by Wabco Aust) (U.S GP31706 BPA11-G) and the scraper is AHS2587 (assigned by Wabco Aust) (U.S S51616 BM15-K). One Cloutmans machine, AGP 1445 is listed is the Aussie serial number book as a new delivery, even though it shipped direct from USA. The other is not. I am curious of the origin of this other machine, second hand to Cloutmans perhaps?? just a guess. I have not been able to find specific reference to the other Cloutmans machine among any Wabco serial numbers. It would be an interesting challenge to identify the three machines today. This gets difficult 40 years later, especially as for example, Brendon had pointed out that they swapped a fuel tank on a 353FT with serial number attached to another 353FT that Steve has now.
I've got some photos of your dads Fiat Allis 41's for you Jim. I'll dig em up.
Real great photos Brendan have you still got machines.Operating 613c last couple of days.The body feels like a twisted jandel.Take it easy Kerry.
Just a bit of a query here, back in the era when Cloutmans were running the 333s/353s in the iron sand mine at Waiuku I heard they were having trouble with wheel bearings on the scrapers, probably because of the weight of the iron sand, and that they converted a Cat 627 to an elevator. Any one know if there is any truth in that or not? Just one more , when we were doing the Taharoa Ironsand site there was an outfit called Watson or Watkins, something like that that did the access roading to the site who had a small Wabco elevating scraper that they had converted to twin power, I remember seeing it one day on their job. Cheers RDG.
There was a twin engined cat elevator on the first stages of the northern motorway from albany to sylverdale. never saw it working just parked on the weekends visible from the road from slyverdale to browns bay.
RDG Hoppers or Hoopers (not sure)have or did have that 27 converted to a elevator. Kerry.
So the rumour was true ,it would have to be the only 627 elevator around that I have heard of, but when u go to the EMF forum and see whay they make there at SoCal earthmovers anythings possible. Cheers RDG.
627 Elevator Hi Guys The 627 you talk about was converted by Eddie Seay ,Some of you not so young guys will re call the Seay fleet in the 70s .Red and white TS3 Comers and Leylands working in Auckland . This 627 was operated by Noel Worthington who was the original operator for Ross Reid on a 9UD6 and cat 60 scraper . Ross only had two machines then a ex war surplus D8 and the D6 , Both machines were always in mint condition Ross drove the D8 and Noel the D6 , There is 1 photo of the D8 & D6 hanging in todays Ross Reid office( must go and take a photo ) regards Malcolm
Thanks for that bit of info. Cheers RDG.
Malcolm .What happened to Eddy Seays business did he close down he carteds a lot of metal from Winstones for me years ago, and about that Time i completed a subdiv ision on the North Shore that Ross Ried had done the Earth works, Show ones age now aye I think he had a small Cat motor scraper at that time. I have heard that he had a brother ?? who was working out Howick ,he felt crook and decided to go home , on way he felt so crook he stopped got out and Died on side of road?????"Do you know if that is correct
Hi Not sure Eddie has been gone for a long time I guess it all folded after that He had a brother called Hartly who last I heard was in Australia . Now I have been prompted I will try and source some photos something that gets harder as everyone gets older cheers Malcolm
Hi Malcolm, That jogs the memory forgot about Hartley hada bit to do with him, and yes i heard he was over in Australia Queensland i heard, cheers Les p
Hi Kerry, ya probably wish it was a 101........I sold the business about 3 years ago but still got plenty of machines down the back [starting to nearly believe the ex wife when she used to reckon it was all junk hehe] heres some pics
Heres some more for weakness
I better put up some right side up after that
Hi Brendan, no I wish it was a S11, the job would be finished now.I would love to have a look around your yard just cannot keep away from those places.How come you did not have any TS24,s probably that popular they were all sold out when you were looking.Take it easy.Kerry
Now I know ur only joking Kerry..........Who said i never had any TS24s
Brendan.Have you more photos of the 24,s for the TEREX POWER thread the only place for real scrapers.I would understand if you havnt due to the speed of them it would be imposible for the cameraman to be quick enough to take a photo.Kerry
Hey, Kerry those hook things on the front for getting in or out of the shop??!! If theyre not for that, what are they for??!! and why dont wabcos have em??!! You've ben sitting beside jimmies too long, bout time you got on top and get a real perspective. I have to agree S11e's look real good from a 613 seat, youll see a whole lot more from a 101 though, either way youll still end up like a jandle unless you hop on a 111a. Nick
Kerry, it is one thing to have a preference (as I unashamedly do for the big Wabcos), but you are sounding rather dangerously deluded! Remember that any of us obsessed with scrapers are already considered lunatics by the rest of the earthmoving industry! Here is a little bit of 101G action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWvs3jplifQ Brendon, again fantastic pics. Must have been a decent crane that hoisted the 353FT onto its feet. I really like that pic of the three 333's nose to tail, they look very impressive.
Hi Nick & Weaknees,Production Nick TEREX came up with the idea and everyone followed and in reply to why wabcos dont have them imagine 2x259,s push pulling as soon as the second one was getting a load the front one would lurch forward just pulling the seconds tractor unit they are that weak in the necks.Sitting beside jimmies to long, wabco had to go to the general for there engines and transmissions they could not build their own they were to busy trying to rectify all their faults.Yes I get quite jealous looking from the 613 seat as theS11,s continue to work on as its broken down.Weaknees I was deluded way before getting involved with scrapers.Is there any reason that video only went for 29 seconds I suppose that amount of time would be excellent for a wabco.Take it easy guys Kerry
Good evening'I would say its about 7PM in Aussie so if you wabco owners are in yet (unlikely)from another day of repairs ELEVATE up to the TEREX POWER thread.Dont panic they might (unlikely)go better tomorrow.Good luck Kerry
Hey Kerry...... I have to admit you were right, they must have been popular and moved real fast............spare parts that is..... coz there sure wernt any left in Oz when we had em, we had to keep adapting Wabco, Cat, old mans Allis parts, anything we could find just ta keep em going, shortly after that pic was taken 1 of them ripped the draft tube clean in half...........it may have had something to do with the fact that a lot of the time we had to pair them up with our 657s coz we couldnt keep 2 going at once.............they loaded nearly as quick as a 333 when u had 2 57s hooked up to em
It was 250 ton Steve.........they did more damage righting it up than it did rolling over, We drove it out of there and then spent about 3 weeks arguing with insurer.........we could have had it working the next day..........I think we ended up with 2 new mufflers and about 2 grand and lost 3 weeks
Hi Brendan,thought it would be you with the first reply.Yes you would of had a great selection of broken down wabcos etc for minor repairs that the TEREX should need.TEREX did not stock alot of spares,they didn,t need to.I fully understand how you had to bring in the 24,s as you could not keep the 57,s going. Its no wonder the draft arm broke having to pull that cat around.I would say Kiwi operator on 24 just doing his job Aussie on 57 (not used to so much power in front)cannot unhook drops his bowl and pulls draft arm off 24.That draft arm wasnt adapted from one of the wabcos by any chance.If Aussie wins the rugby Sunday night (highly unlikely)I will not Knock the wabcos again.Cheers Kerry.
Hey Kerry, I'll hold you to that, though I agree its unlikely....
I shouldnt say it the old man RIP was a Aussie Have a great weekend guys Kerry.
Gidday Spud, Yes Like Brendon we had the misfortune of owning two TS24s in the early days. I seem to recall seeing one of the 24s had a problem while driving forward the rear decided it wanted to go backwards, perhapes it realised it was never going to keep up with the wabco and it was better off going round in short circles. Although to be fair it was one of Sony lakes scrapers so there was a few short cuts involved!!! I think Agnews old 11es are up for sale so you might be able to get Andy to trade up and make a fortune. If you find the 613 cant get out of that gully I could always send down the 111a to get you out of trouble. Look after your back old fella. Cheers Stan
Stan, I think the 24 wanted to go backwards to tow the 222 off the banana skin it was stuck on.Working with your 24 @ Streets job & noticed water coming out the top of the radiator, told the operator who said she hasnt got a cap on it dont worry about it.Really shows you how tough the TEREX are.I will mention to Andy about the S11,s but as he is down to his last 5 million I am sure he will hang onto it to keep the cat going.As far as the 111a getting me out of trouble goes,I feel it would have trouble climbing onto your transporter.little own the gully I am working in.Thanks for the concern about my back,it never came right after operating wabcos.Andy is actually supplying a TEREX powered walking frame to get me around.Try to have a stress less weekend,I know that would be near impossible as you would be thinking will at least 4 of the 20 odd wabcos do a full day.(not week)Take it easy Kerry.
I have to agree with Terry, Terex are tough machines, and they have to be with a cutting edge angle like terex it takes twice the effort an aggrevation to get a load. Its no wonder their hitches are so good. When I was cutting my teeth in the 70s, because it hurt like hell when you sat on them S24s where dubbed green hornets . This sound familiar to anyone?? 1976 the upper Waitaki 1600 hours, a stinking hot day, not a breath of wind, thick dust every where, not a watercart to be seen, they,re all down by the river, "filling up" noise level 160 DBA. You cant see a thing for dust and glare on your windows from the low sun that is still reaching it peak. 90c plus outside, 120c in 24, your right elbow, knee and foot are starting to smell medium rare and you cant feel it because the relentless pounding and heat has deadened all the nerves in the skin and bone below your teeth and this seems almost pleasant compared with the disruption and discomfort you feel from the heart burn bought on by this relentless onslaught, the baked beans and bacon breakfast, the dried up white bread Vegemite sandwich lunch combined with the 10 jugs you consumed the night before to compensate for the dehydration of the previous day. All collude to make this a truely memorable and character building experience To top it off, all this is insignificant compared to the suffering imposed on you by the ineptitude of the butt head on the push tractor. All this would be worth while when you sorted this out with the wanker at the pub after work. That was.. Doin it!! Alternatively Sitting in a shady shop sipping tea and talking **** while waiting for parts to come from ISP ("insufficent spare parts" the then NZ Wabco distributors), was probably the healthy thing to do. Its hard to be smart when your'e hav'n fun.
Hey Kerry, they have em, I have a long movie of 259FT's push-pull on a stripping job, will attempt to extract some pics for the board here. They were pretty quick. Cheers
Phil,quick to the workshop.Is the video longer than 29 seconds.Might pay to start a joke thread and put the video on that, it would be a real laugh. Kerry.
Showpony'I have had the same problems with dust.its unfortunate you had wabco watercarts onsite. The only FILLING UP they would be doing is filling up with enougth oil to get them back to the workshop.Those S24's would be one of the best loading scrapers ever built.I bet you loved them in the winter.Higgins had 98% availability with the 24's the wabcos however were under repair for 98% of the time.It would of done you a world of good operating a real scraper.The guy on the pusher is the BOSS in the cut' maybe with 12 scrapers coming at him with 12 operators that had drunk 10 jugs of that crap the southeners call beer the night before' you should of given the man a medal.not a clip around the ear.wasnt a TEREX pushing was it. Kerry.
Hey Kerry, that Pioneer Pete bloke on Eucs and Terex machines; is he pointing the way to the boneyard or Richie Bros??
No Phil he's pointing to the Wabcos way out in front
Phil; Showpony is right Pete is pointing to show the transporter drivers where to drop their load of wabcos off in the boneyard.He said they are way out in front as it makes it alot easier to strip them for parts which are in huge demand.Its a lonely scene with their long noses looking out at the TEREX TS24,s building a huge carpark to accommodate all the wabco owners buying parts.As far as taking any wabcos to Richie Bros.impossible,they would not go long enough to get over the ramp.Take it easy Kerry.
Kerry did you chew your way through the hitch in the roadmakers 333?? Shame about the footy game Steve.Nick
Weakness; what can I say re. rubgy.dont get down Steve.after you get the scrapers jump started tomorrow.Take the ELEVATOR up and look at all the TEREX machines still moving around you it will cheer you up.Showpony no I did not chew through on the 333,probably could of as the neck was so soft and it sat for months.I had alot of photos of wabcos but large amounts of hyd. oil started leaking out of my albums so I had to bin all of them.Good luck for the coming week. Take it easy TEREXKERRY.
I'm not really down about the rugby, it was too much to hope anyone could beat the kiwi's at Eden Park - I reckon they bury all the former All Blacks there on the field, and the ghosts come out to help the home side, it always feels like they have 18 on the field. Quade Cooper starting the game by kicking out on the full showed just how settled the Aussies were. At least they didn't give up, but I reckon now Wales will beat us in the consolation game. There is a TS24 limping and leaking around just 10 km down the road (file pic attached), I told the owner I would give him a few hours of the 353FT when I head back past to the next job in Gunnedah. I'll do you a favour Kerry and see if I can film the two loading side to side, even a Terex loony with sunstroke should give up on feeble boasts then.
Right you are Showpony, and here's what happens to a lizard trying to keep up pace with them. Kerry, ya there??
Terex, Wabco, I'd kill to run either one again. There are some of each still around here, but fewer all the time.
Steve give that man plenty of notice, by the look of the rust in the bowl and the long grass around, hes in no hurry to start repair work again. Terex green blends in with the grass quite well, that is so Terex owners can take up gardening after failing at landscaping. My guess is your TS24 owner has done waiting for parts that have to come from other machines (note the blue front engine and drop box). Now he's either too frightened to start it again in case another Wabco shows him up or she'll move back to the shop as fast as Kerry says a Terex goes. Either way there'll be no need for you to hurry. By the time they work up the courage, alert the world bank, refill with oil , the next RWC will be on. (myths.Terex's leak oil, false, it is usally ejected by a major component failure long before the leak can start. Terex use a lot of fuel, false, there is no need to refuel they never go long enough to use the orginal tank full, ) I see there is an AC unit on top of the cab?? As the Jimmy is only needed to run the AC it is used to keep mechanics and owners cool while pricing repairs and making excuses to customers and bankers. Our Wabcos have no need for AC, we just dont get the stress, but in case we need to help out a Terex man, to stay cool Wabcos run a reversible fan. Terex machines have to be twin powered for this, they need the extra engine to maintain foward momentum against a reversed fan, maybe that was some of the trouble with Stans TS24? The definition of production in the Terex OM refers and relates to shade, waste oil and scrap metal, something terex cannot be beaten on. Terex is way ahead of everyone else on dust supppression, no water carts are required, as little dust is created by endless repair work, and if there is dust created by other machines moving earth, Terex control this with a fountain of hi pressure oil Why do Terex run the bowl controls on the far right and have the seat cocked to the right? To improve visibility, so the operator can see the failed parts and oil flying off his tractor unit, if he is good he is able to catch them in the bowl to maintain that legendary production. As Terex never had the technology to make a reliable elevator this would only get in the way of production. Terex's ledendary open bowl design, and specially angled cutting edge which is useless for loading earth but unsurpassed for catching oil and stray tranny parts, only needs the apron cylinders to fail in order to catch that all important production of shade, waste oil and scrap metal. Its shame to see the generals finest work restrained buy so much hideous tangled scrap metal, just as well they painted them green so us Wabco operators can dodge their carcasses littering job sites. Much like a goober, a slimey trail that ends in a big green blob. One for you Kerry. WABCO, What All Broke Contractors Operate, Stay loose, Nick
Hi everyone, Showpony great laugh but I honestly feel owning these wabcos has done your head in.(HIGHLY LIKELY)Gentlemen if you could please have a look at post 76 on the TEREX POWER thread re TEREX from the man himself.I say no more.Steve you should have plenty of time to video the TEREX scrapers working with the 353 clapped out on the side of the haul road covering their long noses as the mighty TEREX roars past.If you have to drive it 10K up the road the job will be finished by the time it gets there.Phil you should write some books on TEREX you would do very well,like the owners of TEREX . Buckethead said from someone who knows what he is talking about,just a slight problem with your typing you added wabco.Hope you enjoy that post on the TEREX POWER thread.Have a good night Kerry.
Dosnt need AC if the wabcos havent got it the unfortunate operator that is being punished by having to drive the pig of a thing soon knows how a tomato feels stuck in a glasshouse.Kerry.
Steve, Are they Greenirons TS24`S.I know he did have them down your way. Shaun
Hi Shaun, They are the ones that have been around here a few years, from Brookstead Qld, but I spoke to the owner Geoff Elsden and he said he wasn't Greeniron and didn't know about this forum, so I don't know. There is one TS 24, a TS 32 which is a fairly wild looking old girl with the front stacks next to the operator (pic), and a newer small twin power, a TS 14D which is a nice neat machine (except that any scraper without elevators seems to me to be missing something).
TS24 in the sand Heres one from the past just for you Kerry.
Great photo Stan I suppose all the 222's were parked up waiting for the real machines to get the hill down enougth for them to STRUGGLE up.One things for sure they would not of had to wait long.(Where there any wabcos actually mobile at the time)Kerry
This thread is getting me green around the gillls, behold the ugly sisters!!
Great photos Showpony Are they so high up so you can see if you are actually getting a load in the things.That looks like a permanent crane over the back ready to lift out a elevator AGAIN.You would be green around the gills when you see the cost of getting the 333 mobile.Take a look at the TEREX POWER thread and you will be GREEN WITH ENVY.Take it easy.Kerry.
Steve, They are Greenirons machines.His name is Robert Elsdon and the guy you spoke to is his father.The mate to the TS32 is sitting on their farm at Brookstead.It has no engine and a few other things missing but would not take a lot to get going.Things must be quiet for them to leave them there for this long.Maybe you need to organise to get the old 32 going and put it to work beside the 353 and show Terexkerry what one is really better.
Hi Showpony , I like your abbreviation of ISP I ordered a hub for our Wabco 550 . it was to be 10 days until it arrived a from the USA i couldnt wait so repaired it Tempory like , Well it never arrived 18 months later ISP sent out to us , I sent it back said it took so long i did not want it, they were really snotty, WE ORDERED that for you ,WEll it was to be here 10days after it was ordered, i wonder why they arent still around, or are they
Shaun, That clears things up. The green machines are working, they have been doing some channel work for centre pivot installs I think near Breeza, and are currently doing a pump offtake for my neighbours using their excavator and case laser bucket as well. The photos I took were at least a year ago when they were parked up for a while near Breeza. I had spoken to Greeniron on this forum, but they were all back home for a few months then and I couldn't find anyone to talk to about these machines until they drove past my workshop near Carroll.
QUOTE=lpnt65;322132]Hi Showpony , I like your abbreviation of ISP I ordered a hub for our Wabco 550 . it was to be 10 days until it arrived a from the USA i couldnt wait so repaired it Tempory like , Well it never arrived 18 months later ISP sent out to us , I sent it back said it took so long i did not want it, they were really snotty, WE ORDERED that for you ,WEll it was to be here 10days after it was ordered, i wonder why they arent still around, or are they[/QUOTE] ISP slipped below the waves in about 78, Domtrac took over and make a bad thing worse they to succumed shortly thereafter. The best service you can get for a Wabco is your own. Hoss and I like em, most of the major components where fabricated rather than cast and Wabco did'nt use a lot of fancy alloys which lends itself well to doing repairs in our own shop. That's the way we like it, no smalmy fair weather dealers with an endless supply of excuses and fitters of new parts to hoodwink or distract you. I think one of the good aspects of scraper owning is sporadic work and there;s time and sometimes even a bit of money to keep older machines operational. There's good oppurtunities to learn how to keep your machine producing the most bang for your buck. Steerers who want to become operators can learn the cost of errant habits like speeding, overloading, relying on brakes, and so on, by rolling up their sleeves and getting in amongst it. Thankfully, the seat warmers move on before the engines cool enough to touch. Not exactly a PC human resourses policy but it works for us. If we had a fleet of late model ADTs and excavators we'd be too busy working for the bank and our dealer to have time for HEF. Is this why Wabcos at work is such a big thread?. Nick
gidday steve , shaun shaun , was lmao about geoff being me oldman , makes me a lot younger , he is actualy my brother as steve said in his last post they are out working and still paying there way and because this is a wabco thread and to keep showpony happy i will admit to have being around some of them in the early days a 222H , a early 333 with elect steer and a early cable operated open bowl 222 i think , with elec steer turned into a watercart but sadly after there long and continual illness`s they are no longer with us but the terex`s pulled through and keeped a roof above our heads cheers n beers Bob
Hi Bob, Geoff said something about you getting parts from the US, how do you go about that? Funny about coincidences, I looked at a 222H at Brookstead a few months ago, would have bought it if I had the cash available. I could see a huge pile of green stuff in the distance in the village which I did not go and look at, wish I had now. Please ignore the criticisms I have implied about Terex scrapers here, I have no bias against them, I just could not ignore terexkerry. Scraper owner/operators are a dying breed, we have to stick together. Come and have a look at the 353's next time you are down here. -Steve
Steve , Peters 222H is better than it looks i think depending on the money he wanted but you should have stopped and pulled in , there`s plenty to see and take pics of in the yard including the twin power dozers also could have shown you a 333 not far from here which he might sell ???? was halve expecting a u-tube video of the TS32 going past your workshop I will pull in and have a yarn when i get a chance cheers n beers Bob
Its been quite on here for a while. Whats the matter wabco people CAT got your tongue. Have a look later tonight when Ray C puts some photos up on (wait for it )the TEREX POWER thread.Take it easy and have a great rest of the week. Kerry.
Brenlow, the second picture is about the most epic pic ever taken!
G,day Buckethead. Thanks I like that pic also, I remember that job well It was in the good old days when I was owner operating................I think it was the only time I have been "sacked" from a job in my life..........As it was a very dry and dusty job the grader driver and I used to go down the pub for a beer or 3 every lunchtime, as it was my birthday this particular time we decided we would have a a few more, after a while the foreman sent a message down that if we wern't back on the job in 10 minutes we were fired..........we decided that the cold beer was a better option than the heat and dust so we kept drinking, after about another hour the foreman himself showed up to see why we wer'nt back and we explained that as we thought we were sacked he should'nt be bothering us..........he quickly reinstated us and with our thirst fully quenched we went back to work
Gday Kerry........Im starting too get cold shivers running up my spine looking at all them green machines ya got posted here...............I thought this thread was safe to look at coz it would only bring back good memories as it was about Wabcos now I not so sure hehe
Hi Brendan,I know what you meen the MIGHTY TEREX appears EVERYWHERE there will be more updates soon on the TEREX thread to keep you guys engrosed.Take it easy Kerry
This is not quite so epic but a bit more recent - topsoil strip and stockpile for the Keepit Dam upgrade Coffer dam base.
Hey Steve, she sure is a nice lookin rig, 'may she never break down and always return a handsome ROI for you'. How's the fuel economy? Cheers
Phil, The words "fuel" and "economy" probably do not go together in this case, unless you mean the 353Ft contributing to the economy of the gulf states. Actually, not too bad, between 60 and 80 litres total per hour depending on long haul/short haul, not bad for 1050 hp, some tractors with 800 hp I know use that. -Steve
IT is a nice looking photo of your machine.(I will now go and wash my mouth with soap)Joking aside we had to fill the front up a couple of times a day,she was very thirsty that 333.Take it easy Kerry
Gordon I'm trying to post those pictures of the two scrapers that we have that our dad & his brother orginally bought for their construction company. One of my brothers & I rescued the D from the scrap man (one of two ever existed, modified for operator convience 1 year after purchase, by Joe Muenks, may he rest in peace). The 222A has a hancock bowl along with the D-Pull. Maurice
Steve, I used to return to the cut in my 252ft with the rear engine in idle, saved me a lot in fuel on an hourly rate. But if youre moving material per cu metre, I used to move as fast as my 252 ft (and back) could take it.
Jim, Used to load that 222A in under a minute rolling off both sides and some of the paddles bringing dirt back down real easy when my dad had the business and we worked by the yard 30 years ago.
Hey Steve, you are dead right, I guess it's a bit like suggesting WD40 can cure arthritus.
Similar area Steve..............My photo was at Muswellbrook, but about 30 years earlier, Becareful though......1 thing I realised going from single power to twin is that those GMs on the back of an elevating scraper are not the best way to go... loading bulldust, ya can block up the filters in less than an hour
Hi Brendan Did you work out a cure? I would think keeping your foot out of the rear motor would help, if the operator has functioning ears. We are putting our 333ft into material that can kick up a lot of dust, so any ideas you have would be appreciated. Nick
Snowpony Have you ever tried a Turbo II precleaner on the rear engine. It sure helped on the unspeakable scrapers (green) machines. Worked real good on a 755 John Deere loader as the dust rolled down the windshield. Sure extended the time between having to blow out the air cleaner filter.
Nick, Over the years we have modified the air intakes on 639`s and Michigan twin powers.Some of the 639`s had the air intake tubes run along the side of the bowl and neck so the air was sucked from the front of the machine.On others we extended the intake tube straight up about 3 metres and hinged it at the bottom so it could be folded down for transport.Keeping in mind the tube needs to be braced. Shaun
This might help clear up the turbo II idea. http://www.turboprecleaner.com/
Turbo precleaner way to go but still mount it about 2mts above bonnett
Heres a couple of photos previously posted showing raised air cleaners
Just found who previously posted photos..graemets3...thanks
That was 1 of my scrapers Ray. Turbo 2s certainly helped but if the conditions are bad you just have to check the rear filters reguarly.........just a few notes... 2 stroke Detroits turboed and blown suck in plenty of air, which is why they are a lot more suceptable to "dusting" the motors. Elevators normaly spin a lot faster on Wabcos.......333FTs quicker than 353s, so they create more dust. Not as big of an issue on Open Bowls. Conditions in some parts of Aust maybe worse than a lot of other climates around the world. Dry grass can block the pre cleaners solid, so watch them also when stripping or even just hauling across grassy paddocks. We had at least 2 occasions where the filters were that restricted that they ruptured the rubber elbows on the air intake so if that happens then you're drawing everything into the motor unfiltered. About the only thing I could suggest is to plan loading direction in relation to wind direction/speed when working in dry dusty conditions.
on youtube there is that video of that 333 or 353 working in a limestone quarry with a fancy looking basket all covered in over the back of the bowl, doesnt appear to let clouds of dust go over the rear motor, might be worth a look if you havent already seen it.
Thankyou, I'm thinking raised intakes,we're putting new air cleaners on both engines and have decided to go with the tubular rather than the original periphial intakes, so 2m intake tubes should be straight forward. The site where the 333 will be working does not allow to many options in terms of loading direction but the prevailing easterly and northwest winds will keep dust away from the rear intakes. Brendan you mention grass blocking the intakes, I was wondering if you ever had a filter fire. We used to run JD 6000 series forage harvesters if grass blocked the intake screen on the air cleaner precleaner then the engine would create so much vacum in the duct to the filter it would suck exhuast fumes back up the evacuator venturi and set fire to the filter. This problem afflicts a lot of our modern ag tractors, snazzy styling and panoramic visibility instead of functional air intakes. One of the many problems that occour when design engineers never work the gear they design. Nick
Thanks Kerry!! Showpony, Brendan, I have had trouble both with the filters blocking in a few hours, and the rear radiator blocking with grass fragments. I have thought about installing a reversable fan like the big grain harvestors have, you pull up, let the dust clear so you don't block it both ways, hit reverse, and should clear most of the fins. Or install a shroud that pulls the cooling air from above the radiator to avoid the grass plume from each rear wheel. I know a farmer who did this for his Cat D6 farm tractor and it works very well. The dam base took about three days to strip topsoil, and after that dust was no problem, so you tend to forget about the dust problem untl it next occurs. -Steve
New toy
With my 252ft I fitted two large pulley belts hanging from the rear grab handles. The rocking action of the scraper kept the belts rubbing the shrowd, much like a pair of windscreen wipers. End of grass problems largely, you still have to clean it, but not as often! its simple, but it works!!
Barainzie!!!!!!!!! GREAT LOOKING D-PULL!!!!!! Always heard you could put a ROPS on them, but back in the day I used run my dads it was half the cost of a new machine. I would like to know several things about what it is used for as in a clean up machine or small production machine. There are several different was to set up the cutting edge so the side bits are not router bits aren't in the ground robbing you of HP which makes it load faster. Did this machine ever have 4 teeth on the edge? Does the elevator have reverse on it?
Tournaphil. Shot of the sleeping lizard - post 516 - where and when ?
Hey Maurice. Thanks, its only had two owners since new and both of those owners really looked after it. We`ve only had it a month and quite pleased with it. the cutting edge is stepped ( stinger ) I`m not sure about the number of teeth. it came with one and we`ve got some E200 teeth that`ll go on with out much adapting. Yeah it has got reverse on the elevator but isnt working at present. It loads very well where theres good traction but in the sand its very ho hum.
Brainzie What you need is a center cutting edge that is 5"-7" longer than what is standard or as far as the teeth are, that way all traction & power is consentrated on the area of what the elevator picks up. Years ago I had a cutting edge manufacture make some for the ones my dad had, (see post 543) Notice the where the controls are on the D. Then set the borrow pit or cut area up so the outside of the left wheel tracks along the side of where the right hand one the previous pass. If you do that all the way across the cut area then the next depth you can pick up the ridges and you will be loading twice as much as you did the first time across; worked great in sand. The most important thing is you have to do is keep the engine reved up, can't let it pull down, the conveyor will stall out. When those cutting edges were worn out dad gather up everyone elses worn out ones and then would weld them to the ones on the machine. When I ran the C (as we called it) I could get it full, dirt rolling over both side and the back under a minute. (I hope to make a video out of it someday after I get enough together to repair the right side bull gear). Parts from our Komatsu dealer are not cheap.
Thanks Maurice. We found today that the loading gear wasn`t working due to a buggered seal and crap in the air part on the side of the tranmission there. Hopefully that should make a difference for loading.
Brainzie, is that one known as a D pull or is it new enough to be labeled a 111A? Watched one of those grade an entire subdivision by itself in the early 70's, when I was a kid in Missouri. Looks like a real nice unit. Alan
Hi Alan over here we call them a 111a. It has a D on the serial number plate on the side of the bowl and on the side of the chassis on the front. Yeah they are nice to trim with, leaves quite a bit nicer finish when trimming than our 613. Wont pick up the long grass and kikuyu like the cat though.
G'day Maurice Have been a bit preoccupied laterly with Snowy Mountains Historic Equipment Association business so haven't been on the forum for quite a while. Great to see the scrapers are being preserved! Would absolutely love to own the C'Pull - it would complement my open bowl. Good luck with restoring the D111A (actually D'Pull/10E2 Hancock combination from the photo). In the interests of keeping a good thing going, I am attaching some shots I took back in 1969 of Leighton's Wabco/LW scrapers working here in Canberra. Cheers Gordon
Hi Jim, Are you busy with the 252FT? -Steve
Hi Steve, No, my brother owns it now. My back wouldnt let me drive scrapers again (fulltime). He tells me he couldnt use it down south on the jobs he's on because the ground has too much water in it and the 252FT just pugs out the ground. He's using excavators and trucks at the moment, but he won't part with it readily, he loves it!! I have moments when Id love to get in one, but on days when my back plays up, theres no way I could sadly.............. You must be the only 353FT operator around and probably the only owner/operator of a 353FT Steve???
Old Tournapulls The first time I ever saw a motor scraper was in Stevensons Pukekohe Depot. (it was on intersection at lower end of King Street Opposite the Railway over bridge) The old Fitter Harry Jenkins( Old Cranky he was called behind his back) was fitting teeth to the cutting edge to get it to load better. What we could not understand was ,what kept the nose up why did it not fall on to the ground Downers had some to the were called WIDOW makers you had to cross steer going down hill this is really hitting "nostalgia "now that would be over 68 years ago. They used the Tournapull on Avondale racecourse. they used the Cat 12 Grader to windrow the dirt and T/pull picked it , they said was quicker that way than getting t/pull to try and self load. it was same model as in you r photo I think they were basiclly a Le Tourneua Carryall hooked up to Motor Module
South western Expressway about 1976 After plenty of cursing i finaly posted a video from my fathers home movie, lets see if the link works........turn up the volume and listen to the music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM_WLa2Q-Pg&feature=player_detailpage
Great movie Brendan, just love the music, how sweet the sound! Was the 222F one of yours? Cheers Gordon
Great video i so miss my 222G Leroy
Great video Brendan.The sound of those engines was awesome. Shaun
Branden, Great show!!!!!!!!!! Boy that brings back memorys of the glory days, (a lot less restictions). Thanks, Maurice
Wow. Those were the days. I wish I was there. Steve
Brendon, thank god your father had the foresight to record that in colour and with sound! There wouldnt be too many of those around I wouldnt think. People underestimate the value of the scraper and the part it played in building Australia. The truckies in Australia have a bumper sticker which says "Truckies carry this country". There should be another bumper sticker "Scrapers created the roads that carry this country" Jim
Thanks for posting good to see how it was done in days gone by. Cheers RDG
Thanks for the comments guys, glad ya liked it........ I will post more later, I think a 3 minute home movie film cost $20 in those days and the 333s were only earning $40 per hr so it would have eaten into the profit margin a bit, there are heaps of missing bits mainly because the projector used to chew a bit up every time he showed them. The old man brought the 222 in about 68 I think, it was supposed to be the 1st F in the country, I drove it for a few months till I graduated to a 333, I was on the 1 shown in the 1st frames of the video with the pipes spaced apart where we had removed the mufflers....it was american built so it came with mufflers where as the other 2 were later but built in Aust so came with open pipes, I ended up putting the mufflers back on and you can see my machine in the later frames where she caught alight when the trans exploded. I still look back on those days as probably the best operating time of my life, I spent a few months in 1 cut with a few 631s and a cupple of 633s on a 2 or 3 mile haul , slightly uphill for alot of it, you could blow off 2 or 3 Cats on every load if ya wanted........they had a load counter on every cut so everyone was flat out all day.Hey Leroy, once ya had a 333 ya never missed a 222 hehehe See yas
Hi Brendon Everytime the computor comes up with the flag...new posting ...Brenlow....the immediate thought was ...some more great photos...but this DVD posting has gone to a new level...so many thanks for putting such historic footage for all to enjoy.. Regards...RayC
333FT resurection Progress is slow but sure, Lee thats your old girl in the back ground of the 2nd and third shots.
more
and more
G'day Ray. These days with digital there is footage of just about anything you wish to see currently in any situation but it is certainly a shame that there is not more footage avaliable of machinery from the earlier years , Its sad to think of all the footage that even I could have had or the stuff I did have and lost through various reasons that is now lost forever, at least now with the social media sites/internet that we have no more of these old clips should be lost. I have posted some more http://youtu.be/_rWeHkKl3ck http://youtu.be/YhMo-_hnTng http://youtu.be/GInGrPk_A_4 Looks like she will be a tidy looking tractor when finished Showpony
Hi Brendon What more can one say....truely impressive footage....:notworthy Regards RayC
Yes Brendan, all I can do is echo RayC's comment - excellent stuff Cheers Gordon
Showpony It does all our hearts good to see the TLC you are giving the 333FT. It is an absolute credit to you. Cheers Gordon
Thanks Gordon W'ell need a bit of credit by the time shes finished. still quite a bit less than a new 637 though and no computers to wind our spring. Theres a debate about what colour to use . I personally prefer the white of steves 353, our guys recon Hough yellow is the way to go, this is what most of our gear is painted, I think highway yellow would be correct. we painted Lees 222 in this and I recon it looks right. What do you guys recon?? Brendon we'll be looking you up for a good old gum bash next time we're over the ditch, your footage is monumently historic. Is there any of your twin powers tearing it up? Nick
highway yellow 222
Gidday Nick/Hoss The 333 is looking great...a credit to what you are doing ....as for colours you can't go past a good constr yellow...heres a photo of Goodmans 333 having not long been painted Regards RayC
That sure is some great footage Brendan, i recall going to the F5 many a time with the old mans tyre fitters doing tyres on the Wabco,s and others. The really clean 633C on there i assume would have been Tony Champions? I have just finished travelling NSW & WA visiting all the big scraper operators with Cats scraper application specialist, while elevators are pretty much done in NSW for mainstream work they are alive and well in WA, even saw some 651E set up as elevators.
Nick Lovely job on Leroy's 222G, Peter Riley, its owner before Leroy, would be so pleased to see it looking (and obviously performing) so good. I would say that Highway Yellow looks just right for the 333FT. It would be the closest to its original stable colours. All the best for the future and keep the updates coming. Gordon
Look forward to your visit Nick, always available for a yarn especialy about Wabcos. We didnt do many tyres Gavin, working for the old man it was instant dismissal if ya even marked 1 hehe. The old man brought the 633C on spec as the DMR didnt believe in Elevators....after about 15 minutes of the demo they told him they would hire as many as he could get, He when into partnership with Tony on that machine and that was the start of it all, He had an order with Cat for more 633s but they couldnt supply any so hence the Wabcos. He ended up with a used 633B which is shown on the last video with me unloading it off the B model Mack. I had a few later videos showing the twin powers Nick but sadly some were destroyed by a faulty video player and the ex wife stole the rest
Brenlow, these are great clips and it's much appreciated that you have taken the time to convert and upload them. Was there a specific reason elevators where so popular on this job and in general in Australia at the time? Did the price of fuel or the cost of the scraper units have anything to do with it? Having not been there I'm curious because looking at the size of the cuts and the material/weather I would have thought large fleets of openbowl scrapers with pushdozers would have been all over a big freeway project like that. Thanks again Mr Euclid
Hi Mr Euclid. It wasnt that this job was so different than any other but that maybe the engineers at the time had been better sold on the advantages of big elevating Scrapers. While I will never disagree that large fleets of open bowls / dozers will move bulk dirt quicker, and they did have a lot of 631/ D9s on the job [that was about the only size avaliable at the time] but mainly the fact that the self loaders could work independently of anything else was the major advantage, as the job was so spread out it was mainly a lot of smaller spreads of gear working separate cuts than 1 big operation, The self loaders were certainly better for stripping topsoil and there was a lot of that and in a lot of cases we could have the smaller cuts finished and trimmed up before the dozers could have walked there. The open bowlers were mainly following behind doing the rock work in the bigger cuts. At that time in the general construction industry you never had the fleets 651s around that are avaliable today and the other thing would have been the compaction equipment around at that time wouldnt have handled the large volumes that they can today. The previous Expressway work on the F4 where my father had the 222 and a J621 was mainly done with 619 scrapers. I still think if there were 651 size elevating scrapers avaliable today they would certainly hold their own on a lot of jobs but with the all the computerised technical mod cons that seem to be required on a machine today the costs to build them would be too prohibitive
333ft progress
more 333ft
333ft
Nick It looks to me like you are making good progress but the further you dig the more you discover! Still it is a project well worth the effort and, from the look of the high quality repair work, the 333FT will be in better nick than when brand new. Keep at it. Cheers Gordon
Good to see pics like that, history being rebuilt amazing stuff keep the pics comming. Cheers RDG.
Thanks for the reply Brenlow. I just found an old IH ad from the 70's showing International scrapers working on the South Western Expressway - Gemell & Hickey with 3 x 295's, HH Watson with 5 x 295's and a TD25, PT Stevens with 2 x E270's and a TD25 and Fleet Plant Hire with 2 x E270's. With all these IH scrapers, all the elevators in your film clips plus the 631's you mentioned it would have been a big job. Mr Euclid
G,day Mr Euclid Sounds like that brochure would interesting reading but I dont recall any International tractors there unless they were in the very early stages, Vern Ellis had 2 295s there early on but they were not there when I started in 74. Abignano had 3 pretty tired old 641s and a HD41, plus a couple of 631As as back up on contract for 1 cut but they couldnt match the Elevators in cost per Hr when they tried to extend their hire so they were only there for a short time, Camden Constructions had a 333A there for a short time and Brambles trialed some B pull open bowlers but it was mostly done with 631Bs and Cs and the big Elevators. There were sections done further down south at the time but I think in those days they were just refered to as Hume HWY upgrades. I dont know what volumes we did but I know that driving thru there today that some of those cuts seem a lot bigger than they seemed when we were building it
Brenlow, a copy of the ad below. Looks like it may have been a bit earlier on than the mid 70's. Also, a link to an aerial shot of the SWE under construction. Recognise the landscape at all? http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/7722/swe01fs.jpg Regards Mr Euclid
Hi Jim, I seem to recall you are in Melbourne? I am going there next week, can you post me your mobile number to [email protected] , and I'll give you a call and see if there is a chance to meet. I would love to see the 252FT, though I'll be in trouble if I spend more than an hour with machinery instead of my kids for christmas! Yes, as far as I know I have the only two 353FT's in Australia, but it is hard to be certain unless you know everything, and I don't! -Steve
Showpony, You are doing an amazing job with the 333FT, I am so impressed by your before and after pics, and the extent of your fabrication expertise, especially on that elevator motor cover! Unless you cleaned up for the photo, you must have the cleanest workshop in use that I have ever seen! I look forward to seeing the first video of it on the job.
G'day Steve, Normally I am in Melbourne, but this week im in West Gippsland, but could certainly catch up another time. My bro has the 252FT, but im sure we could get to go and visit her! cheers
Jim Irwin; Interested to see you are in West Gippsland thats where i live. PM me if your coming past and have coffee around the 111A and me. Cheers Leroy
Its been mentioned before about Bobby Richardson of Sth Carolina and his fleet of Wabco scrapers. Here's the list. Good fleet! 2 - Wabco 111A 11 cy self-loading scrapers 5 - Wabco 222G 22 cy self-loading scrapers 4 - Wabco 229 22 cy open bowl scrapers 1 - Wabco 252FT 29 cy twin-engine self-loading scraper 2 - Wabco 333FT 34 cy twin-engine self-loading scrapers 2 - Wabco 333F self-loading scrapers 18 - Wabco 339F 34 cy open bowl scrapers 2 - Terex TS24 24 cy twin engine open bowl scrapers
HI Malcom, Recently I was in Nz at Taupo , i saw a small Cat Scraper and Truck with the name of" Hartley Seay" on them , they were on road out of taupo towards Mangakino Pohiohpi RD cheers lpnt65
After doing this for 49 years,I would love to know where there are still some working just to bring back the good ole days.
333ft progress Weeknees things have been slow, the old girl is a bit unusual as there are no ROPs posts on the main frame. We checked with the NZ department of labour who look after our OSH over here and it turns out that in NZ mining equipment is exempt from requiring ROPs. This initially appeared to be a major time and money saver but although the 333ft is exempt from requiring ROPs for mining it is not for construction work or anywhere there is risk of a rollover. As the machine is going to an open cast mine, We and the OSH people after 6 weeks of emails and discusion opted to install a frame that meets NZ requirements for FOP and TOP (falling object protection, tip over protection). The FOP and TOP meets all our OSH requirements but allows us more flexibility in engineering the structure, which requires a certified design engineer to design and sign off on. All this has put the hold on things since November but we now have direction and things are progresssing again. We have taken on board some of Brendan,s coments regarding rear motors and dust, we have replaced the old cowl intake air cleaners with new stack intake units, the stacks will be about 1.5 m above the hood. We have also up graded the dust evacuators for better flow. The plan is to put a shroud over the rock screen at the back of the elevator, and install rear fenders over the wheels, with inners and rear flaps to also suppress dust. If this isnt enough there is a contingency to make up a large duct for the radiator to draw its air from above the rear hood. Some shots of progress.
333Ft Progress more pics.
333FT Progress more pics.
What size tires were on the 353's?I've never seen one,but it looks to me like they'd have to be 37.5-39's,same as a 651.Anybody?
Fried an elevator motor, (core structural failure leading to a copper bar dragging across the cage windings - very bad), fitted my last rebuit cage and a spare core (rotor), and then fried it too. Bad day at the office... Had to fit one of my hoarded new cage and core sets which were for the rebuild of the 2nd 353FT. Still had the move ticket from 1981 on the box! Machine has worked brilliantly since. Video of load 1 and 2 with air throttle full on the front working to follow. Re tyres, yes they are 37.5 x 39's tireman. Do you have some?
They are onhand,as there are some 651's in the area.Also onhand are the crucial L-rings,as anyone who's "fitted" as you blokes call it,a 39" tire knows are a life-saver when getting one to take air.The 37-5's,though,are not nearly as stubborn as those dadgum 41.25/70-39's on those old Michigan's.Thanks for the reply and best wishes on continued success w/your old girls.What about the 333's,as far as tire's?They look somewhat skinny in the retoration photo's,like maybe a 33.25-35(or even a 29.5-35,which was an option on older 627's.).Just curious about things I'm unfamiliar with.GDAY!
I remember that "odd size tyre for a 51" and i used to always think it was the 40.5 which is std on todays 651E but could never find any Cat literature listing it as the optional size for 651B,s basically because it wasn,t. Getting them to seal was a hell of a job on a 51, 2 *** alongs around them, lowering the machine down, pushing and pulling with the Hiab, those were the days!!
Yeah,the first time my old co-worker(the one who showed me the neck blocking trick) gave me some L-rings and told me how they worked,I told him to quit pulling my leg.Dern-near called him a liar.Well,once was all it took for me to go back,apologize and thank him profusely.I could not believe they worked as well as they d f course,they only work if the rim base is clean and well lubed,which it's supposed to be anyway.Not everyone takes the time to clean them,though.I used to spend hours with a needle scaler getting all that Freylube(black crap that looks like grease) that turns to concrete off the wheels when I first started doing a big contractors tires,'cuz their old vendor used that crap exclusively.What a worthless product.Good old Murphy's (or similar soap) and a clean wheel,and you can pull the thing off the bead with the tire-hand after its been on for a month.
Steve, The elevator motor on the 252FT was a beauty, all hydraulic and it never let me down, or ran too hot in summer. I have often wondered how big a hydraulic motor would have had to be on the 353FT? It would have to be massive to move not only the chain and elevators, but the material as 27 cu m every 30 seconds! I can't believe how advanced Le Tourneau was in electrics, pity Wabco isnt around anymore. Perhaps a group of us should buy the patents and rights off komatsu!! Awesome machines!!
That is an idea Jim.I wonder what the price tag would be for them.
Perhaps a group of us should buy the patents and rights off komatsu!! Yep good idea hey with modern materials they would be un stoppable. ( except for the pollution control rubbish ) and I would like to throw in there patent for the 825 grader to. i think they stopped making them. lol.
Jim I couldn't think of a more worthy project that bringing Wabco scrapers back to life! They have never been bettered for ease of loading whether open bowl or elevating. Perhaps some changes in powertrain components to meet modern emissions regulations (although a well tuned GM always burns clean, just a bit noisy) and a cushion hitch/suspension axle to make the ride even better and you would have a product, I reckon, far superior to anything currently available. Cheers Gordon
333Ft Progress ROPS is done, the engineer still needs to sign it off, all going to plan another couple of weeks and the engineering will be complete, a visit from ther sparky to get the engine shut down, gauges and warning systems working, and she,ll be ready to paint.
Wow Showpony, that is an impressive effort! I can't wait to see some video of the machine on its first outing with fresh paint. You have really got me thinking about being more thorough on the rebuild of our second 353FT. I had already decided on some changes, with the Cummins engines having such a light throttle setup we will go from air to electric, save all those electric to air switches and valves. We are going to set up and amp gauge and three voltage gauges (one for each phase) to keep a better eye on the generator and motors, as a response to our electrician explaining how runaway generation is balanced in these brushless motors by a reverse current being generated by motion, and how as the motors speed dies off if high load is permitted (not a problem with Load 1 working), the balancing back current reduces, turning the whole thing into a giant toaster. Here is a bit of video from the current job (two bouts of heavy rain and a major flood are not helping the bank balance or the work program!) http://youtu.be/EiUnvaT83eI
Getting there Front end panel work is done time for paint
more more
more more
Showpony; Thats a credit to you and all the boys for the passion rebuilding that lovely big old girl 333FT cheers leroy
Can any one help?? We are still needing info on my Wabco 111A, We need some diagrams or skumatics (don't no if spelling is right) of the transform that lives on top of the altanator,we have had all rebuilt but wiring does not seem to be right, my manaul does not give my man enough tech info so we are getting a bit stuck and if any one can help buy, fax, phone ,email ,forum , aeroplane ticket , or pm, would love to hear from you. Thankyou Leroy
Some pics Of the old Girl having a face lift and some elec repairs,as promised (Got son inlaw to be to upload) Cheers Leroy
Will be a nice little machine when she,s finished. RDG.
111a electrical schemeatics Hi Lee, These came off the operators manual, if you dont have one, or these images are not clear enough. I can get a copy printed, bound and sent to you.
111a electrics the old girl looks great Lee don't you go off and trade her on a 623.
333ft progress, prep & priming 333ft progress prep & priming
333FT getting there Paint on front end, new belly guards, rear guards, etc
More 333FT More
That looks fantastic Showpony! With my old 252FT, it had a huge windows all the way around, made for great visibility! Love the photos!! I bet you cant wait to get her going!
Showpony; No way mate, we will keep going and we will get it right and thankyou for that info i will pass it on to my tech guy. No i won't trade her on a 623 just wanted to know how the ran. 111A will stay maybe i will collect more wabcos. Cheers Leroy Mate That 333FT looks Hollwood Well Done
Absolutely dead right Leroy! Just sold my 623E, the best thing I have ever done. Give me a 222 any day in that size class. Showpony the 333FT is a credit to you and will certainly do you proud I am sure. Cheers Gordon
Showpony thankyou for the photos i would love to buy a copy of all the info you have on 111A thankyou mechanical/electricial;In #634 second picture down it says imput to booster rectifier when engine is at high idle with motor load should get (74V AC). We are getting about 8V and cannot understand why this is the outcome. At the bottom of the page it stats that each of the three phases is same aprox 8V and this should be about 74 VOLTS can anyone help. Has anyone got or would take a photo of the transformer under the floor plates to see if the wiring is layded out the same as our machine. My electical engineer thinks that the boost side of the transformer is not working we would love to hear from anyone with an idea of what is the problem We feel that this transformer quote has been repaired unquote ??????.
Showpony that will be the finest 333FT in the world, I am sure, it looks so good. I have been repairing a road that got washed away in our recent deluges, great little hill of rock right next to the job. Video - http://youtu.be/VynQV9yNUKQ Aussie you will get there, keep at it. We found we had to draw out the system diagrams (electrical, air, hydraulic) on the 353FT ourselves so we could understand the manuals. -Steve
Thanks Steve we will not let it beat us we now understand it, we just have to find what is original and whats been changed. Thanks in Wabco Leroy Steve How many yds is 353 FT and yds 333FT
BT33F is nominal 34 yards, 353FT is 36 yards, probably due to minor variations in bowl construction and elevator frame and mounting system. 950hp for the BT333F, 1025 for the 353FT. I have a 111A service manual, I will see if there are any scans that I can send that might help you. Steve
Steve, I have a copy of the article written by Wabco's engineer in charge of the R & D of the 353FT if you would like it. cheers
Hi Lee, It looks like your main rectifier plates may be your problem, remove the lid from the rectifier, that is the box on the right hand side with all the wires going into it. Inside are 2 sets of selenium coated plates , check them for pitting or damage to the coating. Damaged plates will cause low excitation voltage, flat batterys, and lack of booster circuit voltage. Another source of your problem could be the DC rectifier, it is a reostat mounted om the right hand side of the fire wall, this ensures stable voltage is getting to the rectifier and batterys. Get a sparky to check it out, there should be some sort of device availabe to replace it. The oil in the main rectifier is transformer oil, do not add anything else, if you can find someone that does maintenance work on mains transformers they should be able to put you on to someone that can recoat your plates. Ill get our manuals photos copied and bound. Do you want to pick up or will I send them? PM me your mailing address, if you cant pick up. good luck Nick
Hi Jim, That is the Cedric Hurst article? I have a copy, thanks, which I had to buy from some engineer society. It is a lousy copy, so I am redoing it using Cedric's original colour picture souces.
Wabco 111A Electrical Problems Thanks Steve, Great suggestions about the checking the rectifiers, but the rectifiers on the machine have been replaced with modern silicon diode rectifier packs years ago and they all seem to be OK. We don't quite know what you mean by the "reostat on the firewall" ? Maybe you mean the relay on the firewall ? We have checked the relay on the right side of the firewall, it's OK too. The relay is there to stop the battery discharging through the rectifiers & alternator rotor when the engine is turned off. This relay is controlled by the DC Isolator switch on the dash. A rheostat is a variable resistor, like the volume control on a stereo, radio etc. Have you seen something like this on other machines ? We think our problem is with the transformer. Previously someone has had the transformer "repaired" but we suspect that it was never done right. What we are looking for is info on the transformer. Does anyone have any text that might explain the current paths through the transformers boost section ? Possibly could anyone be able to take some close up photos of an original transformer so we can get an idea of what it's supposed to look like ? Thanks Leroy
Hi Lee We have a transformer just up the road, we will try and get some pics. regarding the DC rectifier look in the battery charging circuit diagram and it is shown as the DC field breaker. sorry about the confusion.
Wabco 111A Electrical Problem Thanks Showpony, A few pics from up the road sounds great. What we're trying to see is how the 3 phase current flows through the boost section of the transformer and maybe some idea of what thickness wire is used in its coils. Thanks heaps! Leroy
Anyone got pictures of the transformer for my sweet little 111A Many Thanks Guys Leroy
Has anyone got 111A wabco in victoria close to Gippsland, Victoria, Australia,area or know someone we would be able to go and see a working model of to do test on or take photo's of. Showpony,Weakness we have hit the wall on info, Can oneone HELP!!
Hi Lee We have a working 111a turning up to our yard in a day or 2, I will get pics of the transformer. There is a possibility the owner of the 111a may have a spare transformer, I will keep you posted.
Thanks Showpony; looking forward to seeing the pics. I appreciate your help, Have you got the big girl going yet if so can you post pics please. Leroy
Leroy, I bought a 101 F off a contractor in the Yarra Valley about 13 years ago. I cannot remember his name. He had 111A and Michigan twin power. He loved the 111A, it was called "catch me if you can". He was about 55 then. Sorry I have no other info.
Thanks Jim; Was it at a place called yark. Leroy
Sorry Leroy, haven't looked here for a while
Closeup for Leroy
No Leroy, it was definately out past Lilydale in the Yarra Valley. Yarck is too far north of where I remember. Nice bloke he was too!
Hi Leroy the guy Jim is talking about is Frank Woods. I also have a 111a and a parts book but nothing on the electrics
Thankyou wries; Would you give me your details or Frank Woods, so we can come and look or do some tests. Can i pm you to arrange a chat about my little problem Thankyou Leroy To the Wabco Family we really do Appreciate all of your help in all Wabco problems once again Thankyou.
Hi Leroy Sad to see that the transformer is misbehaving for you. Seems this may have been your problem early on when you were having battery discharge issues. There are perhaps two other people who may be able to shed some light on your problem. One is Frank Cox from Haul Truck Australia, 02 4577 6577, he is an ex-Letourneau/Wabco man from the Rydalmere factory and the other is Peter Hawthorn, AustParts 1800269221 (after hours). He is with Preston's, the old Wabco parts suppliers in Brisbane, but does his own thing after hours. They may even be able to source a replacement transformer if yours can't be repaired. Also, if you have it, pages 99 to 104 of Phil Gowenlock's book Wabco Australia contain a really good description of the LW/Wabco electric circuitry with diagrams showing each different circuit. If you don't have it, you can get it direct from Phil through www.tournanet.com , or find it on ebay. Best of luck Gordon
Hi Leroy send pm and i will give you a call your welcome to have a look at my 111.
Wries: Sorry ive been so long getting back to you, i can't pm you i don't think you have enough posts yet, my mobile 0415 515 049 cheers Leroy
333ft getting there
Looks good Showpony
Showpony That is a sharp looking rig there. You have done wonders for the old girl. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Nice restoration job, Showpony! Keep up the good work.
Showpony That is one smart looking machines...be proud of your efforts...regards Ray
Showpony, Wow, looks good, well done. Looked a bit sad last time I saw it in Rex's yard, great to see it preserved and cherished, we need to look after our history especially icons such as 333FT's. Once they're gone they are lost for ever. Keep it up, what is next? Cheers 68M.
Showpony You are a genius! I don't think they looked that good fresh out of the factory. Seems a shame to get it dirty. Congratulations on a great restoration. Cheers Gordon
Showpony, Awesome, just awesome! It isnt hard to believe what other think of Wabco's scrapers, most of the people who knock them have never operated them or owned them. Great job!!
fantastic
I think all Wabco/LeTourneau Scraper owners in Australia/New Zealand or the Rest of the World should meet once a year for a get together at a given site somewhere in the world to chew the fat about our favorite topic Wabco Scrapers. The get together my help keep the Wabco/LeTourneau Knowledge alive, and aswell it would help keep the spareparts become a bigger global data base This is only an idea to see what everyone thinks, I personly would love to be able to talk about this Face to Face Please comment on this idea YES or NO Cheers in Wabco Leroy
I would be keen , Yes
YES!!! Absolutely!
Sounds like a good idea. Will need a bit of organising tho..
I think we just keep it simple, like pick a date and venue and country and turn up. Who can and will be able to be there, Once this happens just see where it goes Cheers in Wabco Leroy
wries; Thanks for the call today on me 111A got no answer from up north, i'll keep in touch Cheers Leroy
I for one vote a resounding "YES" to this great idea! Thanks for thinking of it Leroy Cheers Gordon
Look out Greenies! Meet the mighty Wabco 333FT haha. Awesome job there Showpony.
wries; Had a look at that scraper it's alot older than mine got hancock bowl i reckon about 68' year has no plates, Thanks again Leroy
Hi showpony, an incredible achievement.It's dam great to sit back now an reflect on all those problems you had to overcome. Take time to admire it before...... Ps Thanks for the tran's manual plus xtra's. Alan
Aussie Leyroy, I vote yes for the wabco conference,dam great idea. The only reservation I have is if 5 guys together were to talk an hour each about one technical aspect on one machine and then we were to mengall.......it would be a shame to be there for 3 or 4 weeks?
The 353FT charging back for some more gully fill yesterday http://youtu.be/ML0nqWDQ2DY
April 18th 2012; We have 6 x Yes's That's Good Jim Irwin Haddy fourdee Aussie Leroy Gord229 parkeng Thanks Guys Any other Wabco followers !! Looks like it's NZ/AU for a get together Cheers Leroy
mockman Don't know how stable they were, but ran my 613a alongside a pair of these for a month or so and they would eat my lunch. Had a brand new 615 that would stay with them with the suspension on, stiff they would eat its lunch too. those things had some real power a 504 v8 cummins and lockup convertor, lighter than a 613 and stationary cutting edge, stripping dirt with weeds would sometimes get stuck in the bowl because of the stationary edge. about all i remember. the 222's would smoke a cat 623 and go thru mud like a 627. Just my opinion, but never thought that cat ever really made much of a scraper, heavy, tough, low powered, slow and costly, but they did last, they were really nothing until the green went out of business, along with wabco. up until then terex and wabco were far better. in the early 70's cat started to figure it out
Had a very enjoyable afternoon today with Steve at Gunnedah NSW talking Wabco scrapers. Plus a visit to his yard to visit one of his 353FT's. Thanks Steve! Great to meet you and thanks for the cuppa's!
You can add me to the list
Wabco Conference You had better add at least 4 yeatmans, perhaps we could go to Mumbai and find out how Manish processes his orders?? 333Ft has been out and about, she attended a local big boys toys event last week and won peoples chioce, starting a 65000m3 resivior this week, i will post pics and some video on utube asap.
Well well well that can come on my job any time. I think everyone else has already said enough. SHE'S A BEAUTY GOOD ON YAH MATE VERY WELL DONE.
Wabco Scrapers at work
Our 333Ft and 2 222gs stripping out a 75000m3 irrigation dam Our 333Ft and 2 222gs stripping out a 75000m3 irrigation dam
Last 2
Showpony Great to see these machines happily munching dirt. They are a credit to you! Cheers Gordon
Very impressive
Looks good alright, its neat seeing scrapers working on a site together. certainly more interesting then bloody diggers and trucks.
333FT Cloutmans Sep 72 Gidday Nick/Hoss Well heres some history for you...possibly the first advert for a 333FT supplied in NZ.....Cloutmans back in Sep 72....and now your machine nearly 40 yrs later...and how good she now looks. You guys have to be proud of how well the your rebuild has gone. If you want me to send you a better quality image pse let me know...Regards Ray
Thanks Ray We're more pleased than proud, we took a pretty big punt on this old lady and so far shes been good to us. I dont think the oppourtunity to ressurect another 333ft with such low hours, will occour again. We are privilaged and very lucky to know the right guy and be in the right place at the right time. Was there any editorial that went with this add? Nick
I seen a 259 working on State Highway 1 at Atiamuri on the new bridge job . It's got good paint and really looks the part . I will try and get a photo or two next time I'm down there .
Gidday Haddy. We are working at Atiamuri at the Mo, We had a 252 and 259 working together to do a 80,000m fill. Finished now and waiting for the next mission!!! I will try to get a couple of photos loaded. Cheers Stan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiCvKCzbKes&feature=vmdshb
101f laying tyre armour
I have never seen "tire armor" before. Can you give a brief description of what, why, and how? Great updates on this thread guys.
off topic Tyre Armour is using used truck tyres filled with gravel to protect the earth liner of a dam in place of using boulders or rock. the tyres are low cost compared with truckng in rock, they are also quicker to place. The scraper is used to transport the gravel to the excavators, one is placing the tyres, the other (the larger machine) is placing the gravel. As the waves travell across and between the tyres, the tyres quickly disipate their energy. Although wave action does move the finer gravel around the heavys remain traped inside the trye preventing the tyre from being displaced by waves. This sytem will stand service on a surface area of up to 10ha with wind forces up 80kph. If more protection is required we add wave control baffles (truck tyre islands), really popular with duck hunters.. Another thing we do is storage bunkers from used truck tyres.
really good to see scrap tyres used in such a constructive way,,,,:notworthy:drinkup
Hi Showpony . I tried using tyres for retaining wall once and found it was quiet spongy . I pulled it all apart and started again but this time I kicked the fill into middle ( Inside , if you know what I mean ) of the tyres , layer by layer , really hard on the legs and wrecked a pair of boots doing it !!!!! That fixed the problem but took forever . Was rock solid after that and never moved at all . How do you get the whole thing solid ? Haddy
more off topic Haddy. We use dry soil, and a wide bucket on the excavator, rake one way and pack rake back the other and pack. the dry soil is literally blown into the tyre casing by the thump of the bottom of the bucket, 2 cycles in opposite directions usually does the job, our bucket is 2m wide so we do 2 tyres at a time. To get stability we do not build walls from one layer, the whole structure is filled with tyres that are all stacked to tie together, and they are sloped inwards for stability and to allow the wall to shed material such as silage, lime , fert or whatever. If you build a retaining wall i recomend benching behind the wall and tying the tyres to the benches, poly baling twine works a treat, then putting sharpened steel stakes down through the wall, if you oil the sharp end, you can usually push these in with the digger, warratahs work great, ensure there is drainage behind the wall to prevent slumping, it doesnt matter what you make a retaining wall from if you dont get the water out of the material behind, it will collapse. .
Yeah - OK . Best those trucker's keep wearing tyres out then !!!!
hey nick,the soil isnt binding together from the oil leaking from the wabcos is it (just kidding) nice work,take it easy,kerry
Not sure Hi kerry were not sure about the relationship between oil wabcos and soil, all we know is the earth and a bit oil of moves everytime we start a wabco. On the other hand the green stuff moving around the job seems to do it very slowly around the edges of the workshop, that is the weeds and terexs.They're so slow we have trouble seeing what moves faster the weeds or terexs, either way they're certainly persistant, but if you tip oil in or on either they just curl up an die. Could this be the reason terexs are now white, so you, and the scrapies can find them in the weeds?? keep your powder dry nick
great answer,I dont think you would have to much trouble watching the weeds growing around your workshop as most of your day would be spent there waiting for parts for the wabcos.you are right about TEREX being persistant they are still making them,not like wabco,as with the colour just another way of standing out from the rest.take it easy kerry
No weeds growing here
no there is not but buy the time the wabcos get there there will be ,kerry
whats with the shroud over the cage it would be lucky to get that much of a load to affect the air cleaners
hehehehe, good spotting Kerry, You`ll also notice theres no tractor in site to push load this twin power. Cant say I`ve ever seen a 14 or 24 get a good load on its own with out a push or loading down hill
Is it an optical illusion or do those scrapers run bigger tyres on the rear? Just I've unfortunately never seen one up close!
333ft tyres No illusion fronts are 33.5 x 35 rears 33.5 x 39
Pretty much wishing I had one of those 333ft's at the job I'm doing now, would speed me up no end! What do you charge that thing out for?
Between $1.50 and $2.00 per loose meter , depending on the lead, material, and terrain. Hourly rate is too scary
Yair . . . G'arn Showpony four or five hundred bucks is'nt scary. LOL I ran one of those Jiggers on the Gold Coast a while for Nuemanns, it would take a twelve inch cut in coffee-rock now that was scary! Cheers,
Last contouring job we did worked out at $1.50 m3 loose and that was at a nice steady pace
Im after some electrical info that someone out there might be able to help with. It is info for a 333FT,222G and 111A models. Firstly on the generator side.... 1- generator AMPS 2- Generator Voltage 3- Frequency in Hz 4- Full current load Secondly on the elevator motors 1- Motor AMPS 2- Motor Horsepower 3- Full load current 4- Rated voltage All our books avoid getting into this detail however it must be in someones records. We would really appreciate it as the modern day electrician can't believe how they work in dust, water and crap!!! and don't understand the system. We are looking at putting new contacts and wireing on but they want this info first. Cheers
stan try noah i think he used the same electrics in the ark,spud
with the right man you would do,kerry
nick would pay you to take it hsv127 do you want 2 ts18s push pull,kerry
Is this what our looking for or do you already have this info ? out of our 111a operators manual. Brainzie
Hi Stan . Try Rotorua Auto Electrical . They got a older guy there who used to do a bit of work on these . Also Ken Bleakley ( who I got my 111A from ) from Taupo knows the 111A well . I haven't got his number but I can get it for you if you want . Haddy
Stan , Brainzie has got Ken's number . I gave it to him a while back . A couple of weeks ago I buried my phone and lost all my numbers . Haddy
Bugger, let me know if you`d like it Haddy.
Thanks Guys, That was a help but still after more on the elevator side as well. Also was the 222 and 333 the same? I tried Noah but he was tied up with some monkeys that he had to deliver to Terexkerry!!!
wabco scraprrs got the monkeys they are out on hire operating 252s,spud jokes aside try Phil Gowenlock mobile 0061732175498 he might be able to help,good luck,kerry
A few photos of a palmerston Job last season. Really wet clay that required discing in the cut and fill to get 10% moisture out of it. Lots of hair gone on this job!!!
Just a few more different shots. Real crap ground!! Im sure a terex would have got thru!!! Year Right
Cheers Kerry, I will try to get a hold of Phil.
no worries
i see your dad there crying as he knows he has moved more yardage on his tracked dumper than the THING clapped out beside him
have you any pictures with them actually with a load,probably asking a bit much.should put a shroud over them like nick so when the MIGHTY TEREX pass you can hide your attempt of making out you have a load in them
You guys are going to kill me with laughter here :notworthy Kerry you know the reason why some of those Wabcos go so well ? The "General" provided the puha to make them GO !!
Thats the best part about them Merv
Kerry you've cracked it!! The general sent all the best bits to wabco and painted the rest green. Stan ,weve got a 222g that has been converted from the original point switching system to solid state. If you need info I will climb up on the hitch and get the specs and nos off the components. A word of warning, if anything goes a stray in the generator or transformer this set up is toast and costs around 6 k to replace. I dont think we will convert any of our others for this reason. We have acessess to new points if you need them. Last month of the year every one wants to get 6months of work done before 24.12.
Showpony Been busy for a while and I haven't had a chance to thank you for the description of the tire armor. Thanks for the details. It looks like a good idea. I may try to push it for so me applications around here. Tires are everywhere.
111a twin in nz What kiwis do in the winter. I spoted this on trademe
that would be a great machinie,not
Hi Stan. I don't know any of this electrical stuff and I can't recall seeing it in print among all the literature etc etc that has passed through my hands however, my friend Gerry Wells was a Service Engineer for Wabco in Australia. (He is on page 281-281 of the Wabco Australia book.) Gerry will probably know this stuff since he was a specialist in Product Support and Training for scrapers and Haulpaks in Australia. It's been a while since I've seen Gerry but I'll try and get in touch and see if he can shed some light. This is the sort of technical information he was involved in. Gerry could go over a scraper or Haulpak frame for numbers stamped on the frames and could decifer them all. So anyway, I'll let you know if I manage to contact him or, put you in touch direct with him. Cheers Phil
Playing in the sand last week
Ah well that bit of rain you got would have kept the dust down then cheers merv :drinkup
yep it certainly comes in handy at times the old rain
Yeah , we needed it , been putting pumice onto races . Sand blasted all day .
Update 01/21/2013: Stan, terex kerry reminded me, sorry to say I've had no luck finding Gerry by phone or email.
Stan, What we used on our C-Pull with the Hancock scraper and the D-Pull was contacts from Westinghouse 1605202 Size 2 Motor Starter Contact Kit. The contactor was a type N. The other info about the machines that we had was the three phase generator was 120 cycles instead of the normal 60 cycles. Taht was to be able to get twice the power out of a electric motor without increasing the size. Also make sure that when you hook up the batteries and turn on the master switch you get a good 15 amp draw, if not check for corrossion on the brush holder in the gererator (everyone calls it a generator but it is really an alternator) I have never found where it stated how many amps the generator puts out but I did check amp draw to one of the conveyer motors a it was about 50 Amps. Normal rule of thumb with 480 AC volts is 1 amp per horsepower. The C-Pull elevator gear boxes had a 99:1 gear ratio and with two motors I believe that would be about 1,000 hp on the paddels. We used to shoot for a voltage of 380-420V, and things worked real good. Good Luke hope this helps some Maurice P.S. I posted some pictures a while back of two of the remaining scrapers that we ran.
Now this bloke knows his stuff ---^ Good post mate.
These two Wabco's are working right next to Auckland Airport in NZ for Dempsey Forrest. Very impressive project.
- Actually meant Dempsey Wood! There were a couple of other Wabco's on site too. Nice to see some north of the Bombay hills!
333ft 333Ft
333ft
333ft 333ft View attachment 99579
Cool pics Showpony and Pronto.
a few more
great to see a 613 in wabco thread,better seeing a wabco actually working,kerry
well they`re normally always working together so
333ft videos on you tube hi Brainzie What are building there?, those scrapers are a credit to you. Great to see the digger sitting in the background, scrapers especially elevator owners would be a lot busier if people could see what they can do. Ive posted some new videos of the 333ft on you tube, Kerry hit the pause button while the cameras on the motor that way you wont get too stressed , take it easy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWiFbPGbDPg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCP69gs4eNQ
never stressed nick,digger is probably onsite to lift out the elevator motors,take it easy,kerry
nick,if you ever trade the wabcos in make sure they are full of fuel,you will get double {pinched this saying** take it easy,kerry
Thanks Showpony. Its just a feed out pad for a farmer. Yeah the scrapers are far more efficient then bloody diggers and trucks. in that application any ways
Brainzie,. the irrigation dam boom is pretty much over down here and cockies are putting money into massive feed barns, 30000m3 to shift one the one we are on now. Its great to see the dairy industry spending money on feeding systems, more milk, more money, more scraper work. Kerry, we had an s11e many moons ago, before we became electricaly enlightened, the terex hydrostatic elevator motor was great you didnt need a digger, it fell off. Good tip on the fue,l unlike terex equipment, Its hard to keep the tank full on gear that keeps going, always wondered why ts14s held their value. take it ezy
Newbie here, just found this great thread of old (and not so old) machines. Worked as an operator in NSW (Aust) for a good few years. Drove D-pull, 111A, 222F & H, 623, 633,631, JD 762/762A and 862. Later moved onto excavators/FEL/dozers and graders and then dirt boss and now corporate management in Safety for a large International construction management company. Driving scrapers was the most 'fun' I had at work. Hard to pick a favourite machine, but the 111A's were good workhorses. The Reynolds bowl was the best design I have seen for the work we were doing which was mainly large scale levelling for flood irrigated cotton. I enjoyed the electric steer and when it was working properly it was quicker than hydraulic. Started in NW NSW in the cotton area, later worked in Quirindi with a local farmer who bought a 762 and quickly traded it for a new 762A. Ultra reliable and a quick machine, but rougher to ride than the 111A. Later worked in WA/NT on some large road construction jobs. They had a fleet of 633 (D I think) and had some good fun chasing load counts with the crew there. Learnt to drink on that job!!!! Spent some time on a 140G/H before being moved up(?) into a Landcruiser and playing dirt boss. It's a great grounding for what I do now, although my office in Yokohama, Japan does not look anything like the black soil plains of NW NSW!!! Snowing outside as I write this!!!!!!! (10:00am, Tue 19th Feb) Love seeing the old pics of Wabco's. Would love a drive of the 252 of Footstools. Great pics, and from around my old stomping grounds. Good to see it working and hope you can make a few dollars. Will add comments if there is something I can add value to, but mostly enjoying the pictures. My father used to talk about the 'good old days' with cable scrapers and pilot motor dozers. He worked on the Grafton flood mitigation scheme back a long time ago and also worked for Thiess and may have worked on the Snowy, but there was beer involved and he was no stranger to not letting the truth get in the way of a good story. Best beer story heard was when he was challenged to spread butter on a peice of bread with a grader.......................(Yeah right, with a 12E????) Swears blind it was done, but having a few hours on a grader, its not something I would wager a $ on!!!!!!!! Some great stories though, and I wish I had listened more when I was younger as Dad has passed away now. Apparently he was a decent operator, but not as good as the stories in the pub though. Good times though, and I do not regret one minute of sitting bouncing around on a scraper though. If only WABCO had built the cushion hitch on the 222G it would have been unstoppable.
Forgot to add 101's to the list above. I beleive we had some of the first 101G's out of Sydney, and when the factory closed, the manager bought and an old 111A and worked with us for a while. Forget his name now, but nice guy. He said he found every one of his staff a new job, excpet himself!!! We had no end of trouble with the king pins in the 101's. Surprised no one here has mentioned it, but it was a huge problem for the machines we had. They were really no match for the 111A though. Ours were kept in good condition, and were better than the 101's. We had some of the earliest laser gear in the NW at that time as well. We had a Spectraphysics (sp?) on a drag scraper behind a 4840 JD tractor that I drove for a while. Good to be involved in the early days of that. Made land levelling a lot quicker and easier. Nearly got a drive of a new 140 in Darwin a few months back, Macmahons had a few and an operator I knew was on one. Didnt find out till later though, and missed a good chance to have a crawl over one of them. Maybe next time. Would like to try the new controls/steering systems. They look good. Wonder how many older operators use the automatic settings?? Sorry for the hijack......................back to WABCO's.
because there are more 14,s still mobile,looking at video of 333 loading i dozed off (parden the pun)when i woke 10 minutes later its still trying to get a load if that is what you would call the end result,have a good day,kerry
because there are more 14,s still mobile,looking at video of 333 loading i dozed off (parden the pun)when i woke 10 minutes later its still trying to get a load if that is what you would call the end result,have a good day,kerry
you should put your operaters on m3 rate with that show and fuel usage you could buy a 14,take it easy,kerry
Brainzie, Very nice D-Pull operated the one my father had back in the 60's. I attached some pic of how he made them operator frindly back then. Of course when he showed wabco his pictures the said thay had already used that idea on the new bigger machines. (Imagine that) The hydraulic tank is in the bumper. Best fuel saver is the extended cutting edge. Ours used to stick down as far as the teeth went, so it picked up every thing that slipped through them. If the attachments work you can see. (still can't get that to work)
Brainzie, I got it to work!!! this one shows the cutting edge on C-Pull. Oh, buy the way I resured it from the scrap yard, Dad had traded it for a 613 back in the 70's and a local land fill bought it from the cat dealer. Also can you find replacement contactor points for the electrical? Good luck and best wishes with work. View attachment 99696
I like the way you think Brainzie, the good thing about scrapers is they never stop moving and they don,t leave unsightly piles of dirt everywhere to be dealt with later!
hi and welcome Hi Leka Welcome to the forum, looks like you have had a lot of experience with wabcos, i'd like to hear more
contactor points Hi maurice we get ours from hydromarine in mumbai, india
Thanks for the welcome Showpony. Read back through my rant and noticed a few mistakes...................sorry about that!! Does not seem to be an edit option once you click post. On the topic of the 101 King posts. We had only put a few hundred hours on our (2) and they both has to get the king posts changed out. This was a huge job and took some time as the WABCO guys that came up from Sydney had not done it before and were learning on teh fly. Eventually new posts in, and another few hundred hours and there was slop in them again. I understood this to be a common problem with them and one reason they were not very succesful. Seen a few guys still running them on here, and maybe they fixed the issue with a modification? I would be interested to know. I left that outfit to go and drive a JD 762/A for a few years and didnt hear any more about the 101's problems. I do know the outfit went broke some years later, but do not know any details.
Leka, we have 2 101fs that we have owned since 2000, the horizontal pin has been replaced and rebushed on both machines but we have never had problems with the kingpin other than getting the pin reseated and tight into the hitch casting after it has been out. It would seem you may have been using early production 101s and the problem was either fixed by wabco or the owners. This is one of our old girls still with the original cab and 504. The other 101f has a 3208. Brainzie Ill post some pics of her asap
We ran 101's and D's in the late 60's through the mid 80's. I really enjoyed the D's they were alittle warm in summer but throw a windshield on them and they were cozy in the late fall and early winter. When I read Lekas comments about the king pin on the 101's it brought to mind when the 4 front trunion bolts on one of our D's snapped when I was cruising back to the black dirt stockpile, I was in top gear flat out it really got my attention!!!!!
I have had this exact thing happen on my first D-pull. Seems there was a lot of stress on the trunion caps and bolts. I don't think I was going too fast when it let go, but not a pleasant experience!! Great pics of the 101. The 2nd one we had was fitted with an A/C cab from the factory. Very flash!!!!
thanks Maurice. That would let a lot more air flow round the operator not having the hydraulic tank sitting there. HSV127, yeah we only get digger in to move stuff thats to wet or to awkward like big clumps of that bloody long kikuya grass , your right about all ways moving, makes the job change shape pretty quick too. Thanks for your advise the other day Showpony, thats exactly were the problem was. Leka good to here about other peoples experiences, makes for good reading.
If anyone is interested there is a workshop manual for 101F for sale on trademe . Haddy
Be cool to see some photos of your 111a when you get a chance Haddy. Bet that pumice is dusty at the moment.
G'day Just found this site so am brand new, I've had a 101f for nearly 20 years and done a sh*tload of work with it but it blew a motor 5 years ago and I am finally putting it back in so expecting plenty of oil leaks. Great machine, but hard on the kidney's if you go hard, but great fun to drive and very productive for it's size. Drove a 111a a bit years ago and had the thrill of breaking the front 4 bolts on the way into the borrow pit. Nothing like clicking the toggle steering on top of a narrow bank at speed and getting no response to loosen any knot's in the bowel. Love em though
Hi Brainzie . I will get some photo's and put them on here . Everything is dusty here , we haven't had any good soaking in rain since end of October , even just driving across a paddock is dusty . But it is good drinking wheather !!!!
Hey blindpilot, do yourself a favour and zip up to Delungra and buy seat out of a Case magnum "KAB" (airbag & shock absorber). Put one in my 101F last year, now a pleasure to operate.
Check your plantetries Had a leaking wheel seal and while in the process of strip down, found the sun gear in the planetry was looking for retirement. Glad I bought a few core spare parts several years ago. All bolted back together now, off to work Friday.
Hoss's new toy The old girls finally home, theres a lot to do but its all there, this 111a was a real pearler but the previous owners have shown us, what can be acheived by ignoring oil leaks and funny noises.
111a
Looks like a great pickup boys, i can imagine what it will be like after it's been through your workshop keep up the pics and progress, Cheers Leroy Ps, Hoss will love operateing her
be good to see it all finished, specially if the 333 is anything to go by.
Could have been worse Wabco not at work![ ATTACH]103133[/ATTACH]Dissassembled elevator box from 101F. At least it wasn't the input shaft. While we're in there, we'll replace the other bearings & seals along with some $17/litre sythetic oil.
Hi. About 10 yrs. ago I was in eastern Oregon in Hermiston. I saw a Wabco scraper. It was a paddle-wheel & double engined! It was huge! I talked to owner- he told me approx. earth moved per hour- it was a lot. Two brothers owned it. One was the operator & the other was the grade-checker. Both engines were screaming Jimmy's! I cant remember the model #???!!! I thought it said 666? The owner said it was really rare scraper! I wanted to try it out so bad... Can anyone help to refresh my memory! I took pics of it, but cant locate??? Thanks!
Upon a closer inspection I do need an input shaft , so if there's one out there please. Part # DA1778
Thanks Thanks to Steve (weaknees) for coming to the rescue. :thumbsup Good advice on changing the roller to a barrel type bearing next to the flywheel too. The 101 is working and earning once more.
Well the sarga of my Wabco 111A eletric probs are over, all works 100% did trany aswell while we where in there, done 60 hours hassel free just so sweet to be back in the saddle i'll post some video and pics when rain stops. Cheers Leroy
Hi Lee What was the electrical problem??
Showpony; We started by recoing the alternator and the transformer still had the problem (mind you we found probs in both Alt-Tran) so then check and test all wiring some minor problems, but at every fix a small improvement, also it had an late model electronic rectifier, which when we testing it did every thing correct, instead of a selenium rectifier, then we had some heating problem. At this point my engineer realizied it was running to efficient so we had to build an oil bath rectifier because we had to burn off some extra power, in which we used the old rectifier container and the engineer made some elements to live in the old rectifier container and all runs a 100%. Meanwhile, The 111A sat around for about a year and when we had all the electricail problem fixed the Transmission started leaking oil. So all out again fix trans put back together and of to work. The motor,trans,alt, has been in and out 3 times in a year so we know it well know So Thanks to all you guys that helped with your input and support getting her back on the job Cheers Leroy
Jim American Standard ,sold wabco to G.E not anof$ for them off loaded to Dressa end up with Komatsu(kumagutsa)
Well, guys I just found this site. Its AWESOME! I have been around Wabco scrapers my entire life. Granddad ran D pulls, Dad ran a B70/333 and an early 252. I got put on the 252 at age 13, Such a long time ago. The amazing thing is I didn't find this earlier! Im actually in one of the pics posted of the Mourer 353 auction. I was their "acting Master mechanic" on a temporary basis leading up to the auction.
Great stuff Lee getting the bugs out can really test you, youd better post pics of the 111a in action. we havnt started on our one yet, fortunely all the electrics are working. its just bearing, shafts and seals for the elevator gearboxs, a radiator replacement, and she should be good to go.
Great stuff Lee getting the bugs out can really test you, youd better post pics of the 111a in action. we havnt started on our one yet, fortunely all the electrics are working. its just bearing, shafts and seals for the elevator gearboxs, a radiator replacement, and she should be good to go.
Showpony; When the weather pics up i will take video and post. Now started looking for a 252 FT for my next project. Cheers Leroy
Just a few photos to show what were up to at the moment in Wellington We have 600,000m3 to be finished by november in winter so its not that easy. Combination of scrapers and dumpers on site.
Yair . . . stangoodman Good looking dirt mate, what actually is the project? Cheers.
GOOD looking 252! I haven't even seen one in person since around 2002 in my area. I really miss my old Pet.
The project looks amazing. I flew into Wellington yesterday and got a great view from the air. Thanks for sharing the photos which really show the scale well.
We are building a wind farm in Wellington. The photos don't show some of the wet clay we've got, just crap with a CBR of less than 2. Stats are 35km road, 850'000m3, 29 turbines. Steep site. 66 machines on site, 7 dozers, 3 scrapers, 22 dumpers, 20 excavators, 3 x 825c, 5 rollers, 2 graders, 2 watercarts, 2 loaders. Real windy and cold at moment, gusting up to 140km/hr in a bad day. Working 7 days a week but averaging 5 with the weather. about 3 of those days that are at full production as you struggle to get going after rain. It's great to have a big job again even though its a bit tough at present. Cheers
Stan; Good looking equipment love the 252FT, Must make you feel proud fine looking gear well done. cheers Leroy
Stan, im just curious. what is the vintage of that 252?
Great photos. Good looking machine and great project.
NZ Roadmakers- Wabco 333FT Heres a photo from Steve Powells collection...uplifting the 333FT from the ISP Yard
NZ Roadmakers 333FT to Rex Davidson Heres a photo from Contractor Magazine May 77...NZ Roadmakers moving the 333 from a Wellington subdivision to Huntly to new owner Rex Davidson
Finally a video of my scraper as promised !! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2MpqK1FZu4 Cheers Leroy
Love it Aussie Leroy. And...even though I was using earbuds, the wife gave me "that look" because of the noise. I replied "sorry, it's a Detroit, didn't mean for you to hear it" (Geezzz, a Detroit can even be heard by folks when you're using earbuds!). And I love the choice of tune, Ballad of Jed Clampett, by Flatt and Scruggs.
Thanks willie59. Its funny you say noise, But for me i call it pure sweet Music to me ears. All around the world that tune it's so well known, in Australia it was known as the Beverly Hillbilly's. Cheers Leroy
And you would be correct Aussie Leroy, that tune was used as the theme song for the TV show "The Beverly Hillbilly's" back in the 1960's.
Tidy 111A Leroy. Pretty tough day driving two machines by yourself. Ground conditions look wet so that must add to the challenge. Scraper loads good with the teeth on. Real advantage over flat edge and we even found it effective with open bowls as well! Cheers Stan
101F spruce up new sprockets and chain, a rebushed seat, another 504, a rewire, a coat of jam and she's ready for another go.
101f
Nice tidy up there Nick, good time for freshen ups and rebuilds, our 111a is a bare chassis at the moment, final drive let go
cheers brainzie, did the 111a tear a tooth off the bull gear on the axle?
Nah it broke the bearing holder out of the chassis in beside the transmission on the hydraulic tank side. the piece the axle cap bolts too. And whilst in there found the pinions were badly cut up, but the bull gears were good.
havnt heard of that happening before, sounds like you stopped before major damage set in.
Wow, nice to see the great pics of the reborn 333FT! I have been a bit busy, like Showpony, fitting a new Cummins to a 101G, and a new 12v71T and generator to the 353FT....and replacing a busted axle...pics to follow... But my latest problem is having picked up about 100hp with the M95 injectors in the new front engine, I have stripped the generator rotor output spline (shaft and driving flange hub). I need a new flange and rotor...or a good engineer..
Broken axle....my wallet is still aching - maybe cost $15k to fix, lost $35k of work. Here is a sight to make your testicles clench up next to your adam's apple...
Ouch! I had the same issue with a 222F rotor 12 years ago. I had a reputable machine shop clean up the rotor shaft taper and remove the old splines. they then welded up the interior of the hub and rebored it to fit the shaft properly. They then milled 2 keyslots in the shaft and hub, 5/8 inch keys IIRC. We assembled it with just a bit of extra torque to be safe, and shes still running today. Just an idea. Im not sure how that would hold up with youre HP rating, however. And currently I don't have much of an idea where to find parts. Having a captive supply kind of spoils oneself. And sorry they aren't mine to sell and nor are they for sale.
good to here from you steve and best of luck,kerry
WABCO enthusiasts; Well perhaps it's time we should start to talk about the Wabco get together. Questions to get comments on are; What month in 2014. And in NZ or AUS I vote, Some where in New Zealand and April,ish 2014 Please feel free to add your thoughts and comments Cheers Leroy
Guys, I would love to be able to attend that get together. That would be great. Long trip for me, however!
Thanks guys. It was great to meet Ray C for a day, hope home is suiting you Ray! I like your idea Rob Z, I will give the key way idea a go, it is much easier than spline rebuilding, esp internals.
Ray C. Just to prove he was here....
I hope it works out for you, Steve. They may want to consider more smaller keys to prevent "notch" stress on the rotor shaft. Just a thought considering your extra HP. Regards, Rob.
Hi Steve, have you tried manish for that generator shaft and hub. He would be our first call, hang loose. nick Lee why don't you just go ahead and set a date and place, otherwise if we all keep talking about it, we'll all keep talking about it.
Wabco 333FT UK Hi Guys Greetings from the UK I'm posting on behalf of my Dad, he drove 1 of 6 Wabco 333ft's in the uk. they first used by Scottish company New then sold to Fox Plant where my Dad drove them for about 10 years they also had a few 222F's and G's for 15 years, then sold the 333FT's abroad to Sweden or Norway He just wondered if anyone else on here had dealings with wabco's in the Uk Here are a few pictures This picture was from when they was at the Scottish company This is where I'm going need your help. Currently he is planning on building an 1:16th scale model of a 333Ft but we need some more detailed pictures, we have a line drawing diagram blow up to 1:16 scale but we could do with some more detail. He has gone threw the thread a few times and found some useful pictures but not exactly what he needs. I see some of you are still current operators and was wondering would you be able to take some pictures for us or even if you have some already some of the main neck pivot on the back of the cab and underneath as we are struggling to figure out how we are going to do it. its a long time since he's seen a wabco and needs to jog his memory the old git haha I will see if he can dig out some more of his pictures of them working for you. Any helps appreciated Alistair
Hey Just found these, Also it was Denmark where they headed after Fox Plant
D Pull at Work A pre Wabco scraper. My uncle Jack, the very early 60's, in the southern highlands of NSW Australia. He would have been in his mid 30's then. I saw a similar machine is in the family collection on the farm 4 years ago
Hi Wabco owners I'm pretty sure I spotted a few today, will stop on Friday on the return trip and ask the owner if he is willing to sell spare parts and get his contact details
Hi Wabco owners I'm pretty sure I spotted a few today, will stop on Friday on the return trip and ask the owner if he is willing to sell spare parts and get his contact details
Well looks like I'll be an ex Wabco owner soon. Buyer takes it over next week, to retire it to a farm near the coast. :notworthy
So how is the rotor/hub project coming along? I haven't seen any updates and hope youre doing well getting back to the dirt. Regards, Rob.
Scraper Teeth Leroy, Was wondering what you do about new teeth for the Wabco. What we did 40+ years ago is my dad went around to the local cat dealers and would buy the broken leaf springs that came from under D8 or D9 dozers. Then we would use a new tooth for the pattern as for as the length, then set the worn tooth on top of the spring steel and cut a cup out of it so the tooth just fit in it. Then we would weld that to the tooth making sure we could put the tooth on either way so as not to wear the top off. They would last 6 to 1 over the new ones especially in hard pan/flint. After we couldn't get the spring steel we started to use old cutting edges. The wider the tooth the more it would pickup with less HP and less fuel and faster cycle time and by the yard that made a big difference. On the 222 we removes the teeth and adapters and found a cutting edge special made that was 29-7/8" X 29-7/8" and put it in the middle two and then did we haul dirt!!!! Could not let the rpm fall below 1,900 or the conveyer would stall out. Then we would always run the left wheel right next to where the right wheel was on the last pass. That left a ridge about 3 inches tall, so when you came back the next time you had a 6" rib because you cut an other 3' without getting the router bits in the ground. Never replaced router bits after that. Of course my dad never through any thing away, so when the edges got worn down we weld a piece of old dozer cutting edge to it and go again. Never had any break. Used 3/16 7018 and an old Lincoln TM 300 AC welder. Yep that's right AC. Didn't know how good a DC worked until I got a job at the Cat dealer. Oh by the way this won't work on Cat scrapers FROG NOT STOUT ENOUGH. Also we used to use the hydraulics to raise the front of the scraper up and turn it 90 degrees and then close the bowl and raise the bowl and make a go at it again. Been stuck like that many a time. Also had my share of sliding down the slope side ways because I got too close to the edge. But how can you avoide that when you try to pile top soil straight up so as not to waste any. Good Day, Maurice
Gidday Guys, Ive added a video of 333Ft working in sand at new job we are starting. I will add more soon. Just been a bit busy. Cheers http://youtu.be/sMCtr5DdGno
I think its 'dad' might just make abit of money watching it eat sand there :drinkup
Good looking!!! would have loved to be in the seat for an hour!! HP! HP! HP! good day
That girl can EAT! I have never been around one, but from what I see there, it will make a 633 Cat look stupid slow. Whren I was running scrapers, a 633 would stall the paddles with less than half of that much material in front of them. Great job keeping those older machines running, and thanks for sharing with us.
Yair . . . JDOFMEMI Amazing aren't they? In one of my early posts I mentioned taking a fast twelve inch cut in coffee rock/indurated sand with a tripple three . . . there has never been a machine built that could stay with them while they're running. I really hope stangoodman does well with her and can work out all the foibles. Cheers.
At one of our service meeting when I worked for a Cat dealer it was announced that Cat was putting a rear engine on the rear of there 633 in order to stay in the market with Wabco!! Some years later there was posted and article from a Peoria news paper about RG's death that. Now the construction manufacture's of heavy equipment could breath a sigh of relief from trying to keep up with the innovations that he kept inventing. ( Second to Thomas Edison in number of patents!!) "Job's Not Too Big the Equipment Is Too Small"
Wish I could join in. Was in Christchurch in 1998 when I went with my wife, sister, and mother to help my sister's daughter pack up at the end of the school your at Lincoln University. We spent a week doing the tourist thing and would like to go back and look up some Wabco enthusiasts now that I found this forum. Maurice
Extended Cutting Edge I think I finally got this inserting picture stuff figured out. This is the way we use to set our C-Pull cutting edges. This Stinger were modified with D8 end bits. Talk about a dirt hog!!!!
a few pics, slowly coming back together.
few more
Very good looking!!!! by the way what is the serial number of that good lucking girl? I don't know if you checked the brushes in the alternator but they liked to corrode and cause weak amperage and voltage. Here in the US they were made out of aluminum and would make it difficult for the carbon brushes to make good contact. The serial number of the ours is GP-62165-DPA2C have a good day Maurice
that one is GP-65435-DPA2-AE
Good luck with putting her back together Brainzie! I remember only too well the trouble I had with my C'Pull V Power. Cheers Gordon
Thanks Gord. It came out not to bad, with the help of some previous wabco owners over here. Thanks Nick, Ken was very helpful.
well :Banghead
Brainzie They look great and obviously out there earning their keep! Well done Gordon
Yair . . . Brainzie Bloody beautiful mate. You blokes should be really proud of what you've achieved . . . and if you have the right jobs they will make you some money. Cheers.
Brainzie What a perfect pair!!!! Now if we could just hear those Detroit's! Great Day
Thanks guys. Just got the second one yesterday. seems to be pretty good shape. just came out of work so should be good.
Those are some nice looking 111s. I havent been around one of them for at lest 15 years. Last time I saw one it wouldnt steer, I drove for 2 hours to blow the flies out of the contactors. Good ol wabcos.:Banghead
Oh, Forgot to ask... Are those Sticks or Allisons? I got to play with both and very much preferred the Allison.
Allison powershifts.
111a nice phil, looks like your new addition and this old girl were from the same fleet at one time.
He`s still got 2 left aswell, coming up forsale I believe.
I drove by a site yesterday that Richardson Construction is just beginning work on and they have one of their 339s on site. They have not started moving dirt yet but once they do I will try to get some more pics and some video if anyone's interested.
I would love to see some video of them.
Me too, I worked with some 339s some years ago. But never a turbo machine. I always wondered why Wabco never offered a twin power version. As I recall the were good loading machines. If the dirt was right and you had enough slope, 2/3 of a load was possible self loading.
339f
The job is located in South Carolina near the small town of Richburg. I will try to get some video and additional pictures as soon as they get moving.
more
Great pics! Im glad to see that people still care to keep these machines up and running and looking even better than new. Good thing that last pic was just a flat tire and not a broken axle flange. Been there and done that, not a good ride.
I like this bit. Looks like WA.... View attachment 20.04.12 064wer.bmp lol :cool2
101f tidy up, bowl replated and pinned, oil leaks, injector pump 3208 in this one, front tyres, and paint
Come up very tidy there Nick. I might have some photos of that one in earlier years.
Back at work ... Haven't posted for a while, been busy - floated out of where you saw me broken down Ray C, just packed the spline with hand-ground key steel pieces and metal filler and machined a nut to carry the plate end more securely, then built the pad and dam we were there to do. Now working on a Dam at Manilla. Could have posted some fabulous video if I could have found a lunatic game to film it - loading shale rock, dumping on the turn down the face of a 10 metre wall, fattening inside batter to raise old wall top by 1 metre. Every load felt like I would go over, what a rush.. I used to say to myself as turned off the crest -"you are following your own tracks, you survived last time, it must be ok." Then I followed a damn excavator track down .... thought I was gone then.. -Pic 1 loaded for Manilla Dam -Pic 2 took an hour to weave through Manilla town, two guys holding up 20 odd power lines with poles to let machine under...
New Dam wall Guessed at 60,000 m3, only clay that looks like it will seal is a small bit of dark red clay in the old dam bed, using it to build a clay core 1 scraper width - rest is dust and shale, turning to pure shale as we get deeper.
Burnie our 222 parts source Not a pretty sight. We acquired her like this in 2012, not sure what the cause of the fire was, the parking brake is a definite suspect.
.. Few more pics
Hi Just joined the forum as I was just looking up wabco scrapers and read all 59 pages in one night... My brothers and I have a 101G that we use sparingly on the farm but we just cranked her up last month to sink a dam here in se qld..
Hi all, 3 x 252s working on 250,000m3 cut fill. Dumpers removing peat in alignment. Current job on kapiti expressway. See you tube taken by locals. hope it works. cheers http://youtu.be/NISFMIvA0pk
Stan those Wabcos are an absolute credit to you. The first time I saw any of Goodmans gear was at Waikawa beech when you did the earthworks for the second stage of the subdivision. If I remember correctly you had TS14s and a HD 11 or16 on site. I was operating Colliers AC 545 in the time.
Thanks Tones. I think it was the HD16B and a 222F. It was a real neat job tucked in the sand hills. We had a 605 and 645 at one stage. Great loaders. Yep we put the time back into the scrapers cause they are still the best at cut to fill. Cheers
I remember when i first started work at mine in southwest western australia,they had 3 open bowl wabco,s about 631 size,ex RAAF i was told.Had electric steering,winches for the bowl etc.One day the apprentice auto elect,apparently didnt do one of the battery terminals up tight eneough,and it came off as the scraper was going across a tailings dam wall.Lucky it swung to the inside and drove the nose into some very soft sand,which is alot better than the other way which was over 100 feet down.They banned them from dam walls after that and bought some 633c,s.
Ouch. That probably blew out the rectifiers too. In the old electric steer machines, it seemed like one simple issue such as the loose battery cable could create a chain reaction train wreck. Proper PM was crucial with those machines.
I have a lot of spare parts for the 111A's here in North Carolina. Electrical, gearboxes, many others. Let me know if you need these. Thanks Michael
Wabco 101G: No Reverse. You can feel it shift but does move back. It will move forward in all gears. A farmer I help bought one and so I have the job to get it going. I am thinking that one or both of the solenoids located on the valve body of the transmission near the linkage are not working properly. Any ideas or suggestions to figure out the issue would be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPl55Xuiaes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVWiWkZWi_M
Yair . . . Brainzie I have to ask why are they loading up hill and away from the fill? Cheers.
hey scrub. they`re metaling farm tracks, they are loading towards where the last loads were spread on the track. some of the tracks are that steep they were being pushed up hills loaded. Joys of having tracks made with a digger instead of a bulldozer :beatsme. That small farm quarry wass about half way along the track. Not very hard as far as rock goes but hard enough to need to be ripped.
Hi coolwhip. I still run two of the Wabco 101G's. They come with cable control, not solenoid originally, and I have never had an issue with them if the spools are clicked properly onto position. They can get out of adjustment, and twice now I have lost reverse, but only if the cable was connected. Take off the cable, and operate manually, and it should work. One spool is R N 1 2 3 4, the other is lockup in the selected gear. On the original cable lever gear controls, gates prevented operation of lockup unless the transmission was in 2 3 or 4, if you could put it in lockup 1st or R, it would stall out the engine instantly. How does the solenoid control work? Maybe there is no lockup. Also if the RHS steering hose is replaced with a too-large bend radius, you can clip the trans spool on a tight turn over a bank, and bend the spool end in 1st or 2nd gear, then the spool cannot go into R. It should be weeping oil at the seal if it is bent though. I know of a bent spool in Queensland, and I bent one myself a year or two ago, after I heard about the other one. Let me know how you get on, Cheers, Steve for some pics, www.footstoolearthmoving.com.au
Welcome Grimlock, there is some great info here. When I can work out a system that works efficiently, I hope to post links to all my scanned service and parts manuals, not many I don't have, invaluable info if you pick up an old one of these great machines. My 101G's still are a perfect fit on many jobs. I can usually thrash any excavator-truck team on construction sites, and no-one seems to run the later Cat 613 scrapers, just dumpy's and excavators.
Hi Shields1 (Michael), got any electrical spares for Wabco 353FT's?? Cheers, Steve
Stan, as always, great to see the mighty 252's in action, I could watch them all day. My daughter has just moved to Auckland from Dubai, her husband works for Fonterra, I'll look you up when we go to visit her -Steve
....and finally, sorry for the chain posting, new pc meant I lost all my email notifications of posts here, does anyone know of a good (or even bad...) 222H for sale? I have a gap in my capability, and since all the 252's here now belong to Stan, 222H is about all that is left. 222G's have a better reputation here, but ROPS rules here mean only a 222H can be got up to spec in Australia. And I have come to love electric elevators.. - Steve
Just getting around to catching up on reading posts saw Post#888 about the electric steering malfunction. I had a main cable fry on D111A going across a dike on a farm pond about 20 foot high and the nose would swing one way when I'd stomp the brakes, I would start heading over the edge, I'd jam it in reverse then the thing would swing the other way. By the time the dust settled I was still on the dike but sitting about 4 inches higher and you should know why and what I was sitting on. Ahh memories, it's nice to be around to have them...........Clyde
Yair . . . Brainzie Thanks for your answer up thread, I knew there was a reason but my connection is so bad here I could not let the whole clip run and figure it out. Cheers.
Anybody need a set of early 252 sprockets? I believe I have a set of 3 segment 15 bolt sprockets for an early left hand 252. May even have a set of cutting edge rippers. New old stock I discovered in my parts stash. I'll double check for part numbers If there's any interest. I do know these parts are leftovers from my dad and that's what he was running in the 70s. And, well hopefully the moderators understand the Wabco thing.
Steve if they are different than what was on the 111's or D pulls then no.
wabcos at work
Wabco 353 drone clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhni_kOBw2w Worth watching in hd 1080 if you have a good netspeed. Stole my son-in-law's drone when we visited Auckland before Christmas, this was filmed and put together by my other son-in-law after we started a new dam here when we got back. It's just a music track with it until we learn how to sync a phone sound track with the drone, obviously the drone camera does not record sound as all you'd hear would be an angry hornet (the drone..). Working here with a mate's D7 equivalent Liebherr. We have some GoPro timelapse I'll post when we are finished. It's about a 25 Ml storage, 10,000 ccm in the wall.
Hey Steve The video is great! It is really good to have some aerial views of all that is going on. A little while ago you were saying you may be interested in a 222H. There is one up for sale in Victoria ( http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&r...LEfTt61m81DMJdIqIXlsQVgg&ust=1451785886044651 ), a bit pricey at $82,000 plus GST, but may be worth a look. Have a great 2016 and look forward to seeing more of the Wabco's. Cheers Gordon
Lees old 222g replated bowl, rebuilt elevator, new ejector rams , rebuilt hitch, new cab and paint
In my travels today I saw what apaired to be a 222 Wabco with an open bowel scraper. Any ideas?????????
That would be the 229 model. Never worked around them. But have seen a few 339 models. If the 339 had been available as a twin engine... wow. Wabco also built the 259, that was pretty much the 252FT with a conventional bowl with twin 8V71s. I've heard those were good machines.
Hi Tones What RZucker says is correct, open bowl is a 229. If you have a look back further in this thread you will see my pictures of my 229F - my avatar also shows it. They are a great machine, much easier loading than a Cat 621. Cheers Gordon
Gord,is that yours sitting in a padock bout 15ks out of Cooma heading towards Can'tberra. Looks in good nic
Yep that's mine!
Yeatman boys me old 222G looks Hollywood great to see well done
those 23s where owned by Jeff Coles enterprises (BJ), i operated one of them for a long time as a young lad
Bt33f gp31649 bpa11-e
That right there is my favorite Wabco to operate, I've been on many of them from 111s to 353s, but I do like a good 333FT the most of all of them. (Well a 252 is good too). The 333FT had a good elevator speed that made for fast clean loading. For some reason Wabco slowed the elevators on the 353s and all they did was push dirt against the rear of the tractor. I think 333FTs ran 284 feet per minute on the chain and 353s ran 254 FPM? They just didn't suck it in fast enough to make me happy. JMO.
252 sprockets Yes we would be keen if you still have them. Let us know. Cheers Stan
Sorry to say, prior sale. If I do run across any other parts I will let you know.
Hi Guys Just thought I would let you know that I am selling my C229F. So if anyone out there is interested in purchasing it, contact me for further information . Cheers Gordon
Hi Guys Just to let you know the Wabco is sold. Cheers Gordon
1st plant outside usa was in Sydney all the 3200 haul pac were make there plus the little dozer
Another 333ft in NZ AGP1606-BPA11-R Another 333ft in NZ AGP1606-BPA11-R
Some video footage https://www.facebook.com/213620908672203/videos/1324593897574893/ https://www.facebook.com/213620908672203/videos/1324595050908111/ https://www.facebook.com/213620908672203/videos/1324595390908077/
AGP1606-BPA11-R prep work
AGP1606-BPA11-R prep work
AGP1606-BPA11-R prep work AGP1606-BPA11-R prep work
AGP1606-BPA11-R prep work
Very nice work, I'm pleased to see those old machines being brought back to a new life. The 333FT was one of my favorite machines to work on and operate when given a chance. Personally, I feel the 333FT was more reliable than the 353FT and parts have a much better availability. The main weak points I recall on 333's were the front drive axles and the sun gears in the rear planetaries.
Thanks, we have experienced a broken rear sun gear due to excessive wheel bearing clearance, no front axle issues as yet, we check for movement on both axles every service.
Looks great Nick, Good tyres. That will make 3x 333FT working again in NZ. thats if it ever stops raining up here. Been real wet spring and summers not here yet. The 333 must have worked in some dusty environment. Is that what the extra fan was all about?
It looks like that machine has a rotary screen on the rear radiator similar to some farm machines. It would be a big plus working in dry grass or other vegetation that tends to plug radiator cores. I've run 333FT's filling swamps and the Cattail fuzz could plug a radiator in no time.
Hi Gordon, I was in Canberra driving through to Jinderbine when I saw a 229F last August. I had the family with me and to much protesting from the back seats I went in a met up with Ian . Real nice bloke and he let me have a look over the 229. I wanted to take her home it was that good. Unfortunately I never put two and two together otherwise I would have been in touch even if it was just to say hello and meet the owner of "wally". Anyway it was a credit to you how straight and tidy it was and I can see how it would have performed really well. The 229 must have been lighter than the 222 and a lot easier to work on. Where did it end up going?
Hi Stan Yes Ian Told me you had called in and looked over "Wally". I absolutely loved that machine and was proud of it, being only the third owner since new, and it was in my possession for over 18 years! It was a pleasure to operate with the previous owner converting the electric over hydraulic bowl controls to pilot hydraulic. It weighed in at 24 tonne empty so yes a fair bit lighter than the 222 but as you say a heck of a lot easier to work on (no electrics!). I sold it to a guy by the name of Steven Joyce from Lara, a little hamlet down towards Geelong in Victoria. I was amazed how quickly it sold, placing an ad on Gumtree on the Sunday night and having the money in my bank by Wednesday lunchtime. Steve didn't even come to have a look! I was sad to see it go, but really couldn't justify keeping it and seeing it rust sitting in a paddock. Although it worked for a long time here in Canberra, it was considered too old by all the local contractors, notwithstanding the condition it was in, and undesirable because it didn't have an air-conditioned cab! It was more than capable of keeping up with its Cat counterparts (621B's). Anyway the best part is that it has gone to someone who will look after it. So the future for me now is to concentrate on restoring my C'Pull open bowl. Thanks so much for your kind comments Cheers Gordon
C pull Gordon, Thanks for the reply. We have many spare parts for C pulls, generators, gearbox, diffs and electric motors. We still have 3 C Pulls as rock buggys, one going and two needing repairs so if you are ever over here I would love to show you around. Cheers Stan
One of our CPulls and DPull rock Buggys
C pull Hi Stan Great shots of the rockers! Thanks for the heads up on C'Pull spares, I really only need someone who is handy with a welder to get most of what needs to be done to my baby. I have already rebuilt the motor, and generator and put a new friction plate in the clutch. The rest is really panel work, reskinning the bowl and refitting limit switches to the bowl and apron. I used your name (hope you don't mind) when I recently arranged for West-Trak to make me up a set of cutting edges and routers for the scraper. They did me a great deal on the manufacture side, shame freight is so costly. I will take you up on the offer of a look about if I ever get the time to visit NZ! Keen to come but work seems to never stop. If you are ever in Canberra, give me a shout because I would really like to catch up with you. Best wishes Gordon
333ft progress
more
both 333fts working together
Great video. It's an odd coincidence that 4 hours before you posted, I was driving by an old customer's yard and saw his 333FT sitting in the corner waiting for "THE JOB". He's discovered 627 Cats cost much less to run. He actually has two 333FT's, but one is down with major front engine issues and may have been cannibalized a bit to keep the other running. Oh, this Gent also has a Euclid TC-12 dozer in semi-operable condition, but she's more for yard art now. Marlow, if you happen to stop in... It's number 12, and 14. Long history there.
Nothing like double ended screaming Detroits.
Fantastic to see 2 x 333ft scrapers working together. They are hard to beat and are still efficient too run even tho 45 years have gone by since they were made. Our 252ft is doing load for load with our brand new 37 for the same fuel! Isn't it a pity Wabco stopped making them. I imagine they would have developed full axel suspension, auto load and dump and be well on the way to automate the scraper or following scrapers.
Geez Stan, that is a sad indictment of 45 years of Caterpillar manufacturing.
Now that Komatsu owns Le Tourneau maybe they could start building scrapers again
Well said Tones now that Komatsu own the patents to the best loading (Wabco) bowls ever made. Hopefully they wouldn't make the same mistakes they made with the WS-16 & 23's with the ghastly air of hydraulic control system and the problematic suspension axle system.
Yeah Gord, they have a wonderful base to start from. All komatsu has to do is to talk to the owner of the machines that are still running, find out what the bugs are and start building. My one requirement is to leave the sheet metal the same. cos it looks proper
Unfortunately we won't get 2-stroke Detroits if they make new ones.
Couldn't agree more with the above comments. Styling would definitely need to remain classic Wabco and the challenge for Detroit Diesel would be to make Tier 4 compliant 2 strokes. It would be good to put some competition for Caterpillar back into the market.
I think Letourneau was on the right track with his electric wheel, multi bowl, modular design machines. Imagine L60 and L90s with modern engines, cab and hydraulics. They would make new push pull set ups look ridiculous. Big elevators like the 333ft need special people. Open bowls are much better suited to big dummed down fleets. Things are overdue for competition for Cat in the scraper field, with tractors and ADT drawn scoops in the market proves Cat is not meeting it. I thought the Terex TRS15 was a good effort at addressing some of the problems with traditional scrapers.
This post opens so many possibilities... I for one after spending many hours on scrapers, completely despise anything Cat built. I would rather be on an old TS-24 with the V-12 up front than a newer 637. The green beast will self load to 75-80 percent without being humped by 2 dozers. Having run 333FT Wabcos I agree you cant just put the kid next door on them. Damn productive machines with the right guy though. Now... on to the LeT stuff. I think the L-60-90 machines would be great machines with updated soft start electrical technology and new style vacuum break contactors. The lack of Hydraulics could be a big plus in certain areas around water etc.
Hey Stan Finally coming to New Zealand - flying over on 30 April and leaving on 14 May 2018. Flying to/from Wellington so was wondering if there might be a chance to catch up with you and see your Wabcos. Will be with my wife and a couple of friends and are planning to do a self-drive exploration of he North Island during our time. Would be great to catch up. Cheers Gordon
What I see here anymore instead of scrapers are massive high yardage excavators to lines of dump wagons. Most of the trucks are Volvo while the excavators are Cat or Komatsu. Move a lot of dirt in short order and do not leave much dress out work behind when done with the dig outs. Fella on a site told me were using 1/3 less fuel and moving 1/2 again more dirt per day this method over scrapers with elevations changes more rapid.
One of our former machines going up for auction in George, Washington on May 18, 2018. https://www.yarbro.com/project/details/27497/ Marlow
Yep, that is old number 14. I will do some checking to see what is happening with #12. It needs a front engine overhaul IIRC, I did quite a bit of work on and operating both machines for John over the years and it was sad to hear of his passing. He had quite the collection of odd ducks too, including a TC-12 Euclid crawler... Unique machine there.
Is an old apparently derelict US GI Wabco not far from me. Front power only, blade on front, front hood is off leading to a thought of a bad power plant. No elevator just a smallish pan yet all tires are up.
If that is the machine I'm thinking of, it was actually a Letourneau built machine with a 4 cylinder Continental gas engine. kind of a Jeep with a scraper bowl. I cant find the book I have that covers it at the moment. (remodeling part of the house).
Will get a photo of this little beast. Blade I estimate is 10' wide, is not a 'Small' machine.
Interested to see the pics, The only "Wabco" military scrapers of that size I have worked on were the Vietnam era 6 wheel machines pulled by the Michigan 290M tractor. That was a cummins powered articulated rubber tire dozer. The 18 yard scraper they pulled had a LeT-Westinghouse tag. (Wabco) They were pretty strong as a scraper as long as the frame over the rear drive axle was reinforced. Used to be several around here owned by farmers.
Will work on getting the photo, may not even be WABCO but sure looks the part.
Well NOT Wabco. by what I can figure is a Clark Michigan, but has been repowered and does NOT function anymore.
Clark-Michigan 290M tractor with a LeT -Westinghouse 18 yard scraper. The army had several versions of mix and match tractors and scrapers for this application. Cat made one tractor, MRS made another, I think Euclid made another scraper option too. The version in your pic seemed to be the most popular combination. I used to work on several of them, IIRC the Cummins engine was rated at 375HP and they were good loading machines, the weak point I remember was the fiber discs coupling the convertor to the engine. Dumb idea, but it's common Twin-Disc co. idea.
This method has just about eliminated the dewatering of sites like the days of old. Off road trucks taking muck out and bringing good fill back. It is all you see around here any more.
So I have a job coming up, currently weighing the ideas of subbing it out, or there is a set of 222Gs near me for dirt cheap. (2 running 1 parts machine). My dad is a retired heavy equipment mechanic (one of those guys who bleeds Cat yellow) he says I can't keep these things running, but I have read over and over they are a fairly dependable machine. I need to move 100k yards. Any thoughts...
They will be maintenance heavy and parts availability an issue, you could end up with one working two for parts until that fails a common already used piece and then you have three yard ornaments. Subbing may end up quicker, more economic financially and time wise.
Subbing may end up quicker, more economic financially and time wise.[/QUOTE] Yes, from the word go we will be on a time crunch. If, "IF", we can keep these going, they would more than pay for themselves. That is why I came to this forum to find out peoples experiences are with Wabco. I can buy all 3 for less than I can buy a comparable Cat. My dad's experience with Wabco scrapers goes back to a company he worked for that still had one of the old electric steer models, but he has a point in the fact that you can't get parts for the off brands. He owns Cat 966 out of the 50s that I can still buy parts directly from Cat. 15 years ago or so I worked for a small company. The guy owned 2 International TD20 dozers they worked hard all day, every day he also had 2 parts machines. Those dozers worked for him for about 8 years before he gave up and bought a D9H to replace them. I understand what it is to rob parts and scab things just make these things work. Maybe you are right about it being more economical to sub this out, but I keep going back to the thought that it is only 100,000 yards. It is one job not trying to keep them forever. I don't mean to argue, it is just that I am leaning towards buying them. I know it is a gamble, but if it works, they would more than pay for themselves. Also, what are the common fail parts on the 222G? Anyone have experience with this? What do I need to watch for when inspecting these?
Another good option might be to just rent a couple of scrapers by the week or the month, until you are done with them. I like short term rental units, as the rental company takes care of all the repairs and I can concentrate on getting the job done, not be out chasing parts
Yes, from the word go we will be on a time crunch. If, "IF", we can keep these going, they would more than pay for themselves. That is why I came to this forum to find out peoples experiences are with Wabco. I can buy all 3 for less than I can buy a comparable Cat. My dad's experience with Wabco scrapers goes back to a company he worked for that still had one of the old electric steer models, but he has a point in the fact that you can't get parts for the off brands. He owns Cat 966 out of the 50s that I can still buy parts directly from Cat. 15 years ago or so I worked for a small company. The guy owned 2 International TD20 dozers they worked hard all day, every day he also had 2 parts machines. Those dozers worked for him for about 8 years before he gave up and bought a D9H to replace them. I understand what it is to rob parts and scab things just make these things work. Maybe you are right about it being more economical to sub this out, but I keep going back to the thought that it is only 100,000 yards. It is one job not trying to keep them forever. I don't mean to argue, it is just that I am leaning towards buying them. I know it is a gamble, but if it works, they would more than pay for themselves. Also, what are the common fail parts on the 222G? Anyone have experience with this? What do I need to watch for when inspecting these?[/QUOTE] IF, and that's a big IF... If those machines have been lovingly maintained and the parts machine isn't a stripped skeleton, depending on the price I might do it. Do some research on parts availability first. I've been out of the Wabco world for so long I'm not sure where to look anymore. I've seen many an older Wabco go hundreds of hours with only minor issues. And hopefully the owner can give you a fully set of manuals to go with the machines. Not having a lot of experience with 222G's I really cant tell you what to look for, run the elevators and listen to motors and gearboxes, check to make sure they steer well, slop in the linkage can create issues. If at all possible try to run them in at least 4th gear and listen for odd noises, they whine a bit normally but shouldn't pop or shudder. Make sure the bottom of the final drive case isn't leaking oil around the bull gear bowls, that's a pain to fix. Best of luck on this quest, The G models had plenty of power and could move pretty fast.
I've got quite a few hours in a 111A, none in any of the larger units. I'd be sure to check the electrics for the chain drive. How much can you slow the engine before the contactors chatter or drop out? If you buy the Wabcos and they don't work out, will you still have enough money to rent other equipment or hire out the job? Or is this a Hail Mary?
Not a complete Hail Mary, this is our own project. The money folks have approved me for more than enough to hire this out.... The less I borrow, the less I pay back. I can buy these Wabcos for less than 2 months rent. Figured I'd sell them when the job is complete. Or let them sit, but we don't very often have need of a scraper. Our other equipment will be on site as well. If we got desperate I could move a lot of dirt with bellydumps, dumptrucks, loaded with excavators and loaders. This is only a Hail Mary in the sense that if they would run for me they would make me a lot of money in one shot. But, if they don't run, big deal, I'm not out that much anyway.
Yes, from the word go we will be on a time crunch. If, "IF", we can keep these going, they would more than pay for themselves. That is why I came to this forum to find out peoples experiences are with Wabco. I can buy all 3 for less than I can buy a comparable Cat. My dad's experience with Wabco scrapers goes back to a company he worked for that still had one of the old electric steer models, but he has a point in the fact that you can't get parts for the off brands. He owns Cat 966 out of the 50s that I can still buy parts directly from Cat. 15 years ago or so I worked for a small company. The guy owned 2 International TD20 dozers they worked hard all day, every day he also had 2 parts machines. Those dozers worked for him for about 8 years before he gave up and bought a D9H to replace them. I understand what it is to rob parts and scab things just make these things work. Maybe you are right about it being more economical to sub this out, but I keep going back to the thought that it is only 100,000 yards. It is one job not trying to keep them forever. I don't mean to argue, it is just that I am leaning towards buying them. I know it is a gamble, but if it works, they would more than pay for themselves. Also, what are the common fail parts on the 222G? Anyone have experience with this? What do I need to watch for when inspecting these?[/QUOTE] From our experience 222gs Achilles heals are, transmissions, every 6- 8000 hours replace the large double race roller bearing that supports the torque converter. Do not be tempted to up the engine hp,. N70s are where you should be. Never power hop, change direction without halting, or steer row the machine when stuck. The differential pinon will fail if abused. Never forward water with a 222g equipped with cowl intake air cleaners, If your 222 does not have a snorkel air cleaner housing with a good precleaner, change it. 29.5 x 29 tires seem to have issues with broken drive axles from time to time but i have never heard of this occurring with 29.5 x 25. If oil is leaking from the elevator motor gear box fix it immediately, leaks are usually a precursor to bearing failure. Never operate them with the engine covers off or loose. If you ever remove a front wheel use a torque multiplier to re tighten the lugs to 1350 ft/lb. Watch when turning off banks, they will bury their nose and bugger the radiator. Make sure you get a set of manuals and the set of special splined service sockets and spanners. Don't sweat the final drive crack/ leak issue too much, they are a big job to fix, but I have never seen the cracks travel beyond the factory welds, if you can live with the crack so will the machine. Do not let the cutting edge wear so it is above the spreader bar when it is down otherwise a lot of damage to the ejector mechanism and rams will result. When operating, always start the elevator before material gets to it, never run the elevator without material under it, always shut the elevator off before you raise the bowl, never cut or try to load around corners. Dont be frightened by the electrics, they are simple and very reliable, attention should be paid to the contactors to ensure they are clean and aligned, and all the associated connections are tight. Always run good batteries. If you have trouble talk to AC people (electrical engineers), the DC (auto electricians) guys are not trained to understand the system. Parking brake, if it still has one ensure it works correctly and the operator uses it correctly, otherwise remove or disable it, more than a few of these machines have gone up in smoke because they where operated with the park brake engaged, when you see the location of the park brake drum you will appreciate the importance of this warning.. Otherwise they are great piece of machinery. On the plus side they would be the most productive 22 yard single engine elevating scraper made. They ride well, and are comparatively quite, Cab ergonomics where 50 years ahead of their time. The letournea limited slip differential gets them thru going where others falter. There are very few castings in a wabco, even in the event of a catastrophic mechanical misadventure things can be stuck back together. Thanks to the internet there is better parts back up now than there was in 1980. There are no dealers so you never pay dealer prices.
Word I got was #14 brought $7K locally and #12 brought $6K online. I know the buyer of #14 and immediately got a phone call with questions. Here I go again.
Went on a Scooter ride to Greely CO this last week, visiting a Brother of mine. Saw a REAL Wabco at Hays KS on a construction site recently opened. Sitting nosed to the highway easement and definitely a Wabco. 1670 miles in four travel days on the HD Saddle.
Yer right far superior than 639s.Nearly every 39 ever made would be still running ,most of them are in Western Australia.Dont see any wabco,s of any size anymore out here and since alot of the earthmoving companies in the states like Sukut Indies Peeds etc run Cat i wouldnt think there are very many Wabco,s anywhere and i guess that would be mainly due to the fact they are rough unreliable noisy buckets of garbage.
[QUOTE="squid_wood777, post: 779202, member: 43708" i wouldnt think there are very many Wabco,s anywhere and i guess that would be mainly due to the fact they are rough unreliable noisy buckets of garbage.[/QUOTE]On a job a bloke there had a 623 and a 222. His comments about Cat verses Wabco were "if I could find more Wabco's I'd buy them. They are faster loading, faster traveling and better spreading than any Cat Iv'e owned by 1/3". A pretty sad indictment wouldn't you think. PS A rough riding operator makes a rough riding machine.
Amazing that Cat stopped producing the 639 in 1984 because "...it never quite found its niche in the market..." Eric Orlemann Caterpillar Chronicle p108, yet Wabco continued to produce 353FT's until is sold out to Dresser. The last Australian delivery in 1985 which is still working today for Footstool Earthmoving in New South Wales. I think you need to learn a lot more about the history of the Letourneau/Wabco machinery and its operation before making wildly inaccurate statements. My 229F still run rings around a Cat 621G, and I should know, I operate both!
To say they never found their niche in the market wouldnt be exactly right.According to a article i read the earthmoving business (civil) in the states around that time died in the a$/= abit and the demand wasnt there,in fact a few companies in the states who had 39s and had no work for them sold most of them to OZ companies who couldnt get enough of them.Conflicting stories on how many were built but ive seen figures from Gavin 84W and he works for cat in Sydney and so im taking his word that there were 39 made.There would be 20 or so in West Oz,doubt if theres 20 Wabcos anywhere in West oz.Wabcos had their place no doubt but that was long ago,as did Euclid and a few others but there no longer produced so to say that a few small operators that still run them are proof that they are the machine is not right either.They may not be able to afford the over the top prices that Cat charge for their machines.As for not knowing about Letourneau wabco history ive read most articles i come across about scrapers weather they be cat wabco or whatever make and i know who made the first ones but i also know who made the the most and who made the best and that would be Cat.
For a long long time has never made the best ,dozer, excavator, grader or anything else in their line including skidsteers What Cat does is out spend the others in marketing $ to mop up suckers who believe in their BS. The bright ones buy elsewhere.
*rough reliable noisy buckets of awesome. There, I fixed it for you.
You think! You all must be proud of the other famous name for Wabco "Widow Makers".Wabco lovers are a very very small minority,obviously Cat haters for what ever reasons and it may also be fact that Cats newer machines are garbage compared to the past but at least they are producing scrapers that alot of companies are buying because no one else including Dresser are able to supply.I will grant you one thing,they do sound great and its something to enjoy before the very important sense of hearing is lost for good.
I was half joking but half serious. I am no Cat hater by any means. On the contrary, I prefer Cat for most types of equipment. And I love Cat scrapers having spent some of my nicest work days on 627s and 637s. But in my (I admit kind of limited) experience on a Wabco, it was not as bad as most people seem to think they are. My experience was on a later one with a steering wheel, not one of Robert LeTourneau's atomic age electrical marvels. It was an open bowl machine, not a self loader. I understand, maybe if I had to earn a living on one of the toggle switch steering or the WW2 era steering clutch machines I would feel differently. I grew up hearing my Dad and the other old timers say that the later Wabco self loaders could hog so much more dirt than the other makes, maybe that's why I have a fascination for them.
I grew up amongst Wabco scrapers, Grand Dad and my father had a fleet of 4 Electric steer 333 elevating machines from '66 'til 1972. Those things could eat any 633 Cat for lunch. I have also been on 222F's and G's, 252's, later 333F's, 333ft's, and got to play with 353FT's. There is nothing that can outload a Wabco. Some people scream about the electrical system being unreliable... that's because they don't understand it. I always thought they rode fairly well , considering you weren't sitting over the left hand tire. I have run Cat stuff too. Cush hitch doesn't make up for lack of production.
One of the old men who taught me when I was breaking in pointed at a pile of dirt one day at lunchtime and said, "If there's 30 yards in that pile you could climb a Wabco (forget what model number he said) up on it and it would paddle up the whole pile in one pass."
That electric drive elevator made all the difference.
Im only having a little fun too guys.Each to their own and full respect to those who have spent some time on Wabco,s and whatever other make of machine and know whats going on.I must admit its a sad thing really that the solid old gear like Wabco Euclid and a few others arent built anymore.I spent some time on a R50 Euclid dumper when i first started working and that was a very good truck.We had 3 Wabco scrapers where i worked and they were electric steering with the switches and winches to open apron etc big long nose with the cab in the middle and a screaming detroit in it.A battery terminal came loose one day and the poor bloke went over the tailings dam wall instantly luckily he was o.k but they got rid of them quickly and got 2 terexs about the size of a 33 both elevators and they where the first scrapers i ever operated.We also had 6 international pay hauler 50 ton dumpers,2 hough 400 loaders about the same size as a 92 and 2 averling bradford i think thats the right name 6 wheel drive graders.The only cat gear we had were a D8k and 2 D9Gs so ive had time on other brands and compared to the tinny,plastic laden and some very unreliable cat and other foriegn crap it will only get worse.Least we are lucky enough to know what the good machines go like no matter what make coz as time goes by most wont even have on operator on them and thats very sad.
You know squid_wood777 what you say is very true. Very few (if any) new scraper operators in the industry will ever have the opportunity to operate anything but CAT scrapers. They will never know why older operators may prefer LeTourneau/Wabco, Euclid/Terex, Allis Chalmers/Fiat Allis, Komatsu or even International Harvester. And ultimately, as you say all machines will all be radio-controlled.
How is the eject cylinder/rear axle arranged on the large 333FT and 353FT Wabcos? Is it similar to the Cat 627/37 with a long cylinder in the open area between the LH/RH axle housings(only a small shaft connecting the LH side to the differential). Also wanted to see how the TS24Cs were done. I've never been around a Wabco and trying to visualize how the rear engines were mounted lower than the Cats. Anybody have a picture?
The 333FT machines used a 3 stage telescoping cylinder and the 353's used two long stroke cylinders mounted under the rear axle housing. It's been a few years since I have seen any of these machines and no, I don't have any pics.
So if a 333FT and 353FT used telescoping cylinders, how did they retract? Springs? I suspected the cylinder under the axle to get the engine lower. Or a short cylinder attached to a lever to push the ejector.
No, the 333FT used a double acting telescoping cylinder, returned with hydraulic pressure. The 353 used 2 long single stage cylinders. If I get a chance later this week I'll look and see if I can get some pics off a parts manual.
I still have 333s, extra motors, switch boxes. Machines have been sitting since 1990. 1-four-banger with toggle-switch steering water pull. Couple Wabco 339F V-12 powered open bowl all hydraulic scrapers. Smaller local contractor re-powered 333s with Deutz engines to keep using Wabco egg-beaters. Parts are getting scarce. Wabcos TIME FOR THE TORCH, but scrap iron prices won't pay for cutting them up. Contractor Scraper Spreads; Cat focused/trained personnel. Off-brands parts sourcing can be disrupting; try to avoid equip that causes confusion to routine.
Yeah, keeping the Wabcos going is as much work hunting for parts as working on them. I'm not missing that anymore. Deutz powered 333's? That is interesting.
Varner Construction; gov grant money for repowers, they put $$$ in their pockets. Deutz replacement parts are 'pricey' like all German engines-transmissions.
Any info on which engine they used?
No, next time I am by their yard I'll take couple photos. Deutz repower was mid-2000; they also repowered 51Bs with 60 series. Deutz has 13.5 liter in-line 6 and 18.0 liter in-line 6 Tier4 finals, maybe for 60 series 14.0 liter engines replacements. 333s weak link was Allison blowing 1st-2nd clutch packs. Compared to Terex, Cat harder to work on under the machine instead of swinging the nose around 90deg and using truck-hoist.
I don't remember the low range clutch being much trouble in the 5965 Allisons in 333's, I saw more trouble in the splitter high clutch and the VIP convertor stator with operators that weren't too sharp on proper VIP use. The 5960's in the early 333's ate splitter clutches quite regularly until they updated to the extra 2 plates per pack.IIRC that pretty much made them a 5965.
What were the smallest twin engine Wabco scrapers? Open bowl and elevating? Most of our jobsites are too soft. Single engine scraper is guaranteed stuck. Late summer is about the only time you can run 627s around here and not be axle deep pumping the ground.
The smallest Wabco twins I remember were the 252 elevating machine and the 259 open bowl, that one was comparable to the 627 IIRC. Spent a few hours on a 252 with Michelin radials and it would get through stuff most other machines would not thanks to the Wabco differential.
What was the Wabco model before the 111A? It is basically the same without the VIP transmission. I was talking to a bloke tonight who has one that he wants to sell. The only problem with it is the rectifier. The machine was made in Australia.
I believe the early stick shift machines were 111A's too, everything was pretty much the same except the transmissions. I've done a little work with the stick machines and done some steering work on one with an Allison. The owner loved that machine. Rectifiers... If it were my machine, I would borrow a 333F service manual and rewire the thing to that schematic and add an alternator to the engine. Use the booster rectifier bridge from a later machine (222-333) and mount it in the air cleaner stream for cooling. The old oil cooled stuff is a pita.
Sometime before the 111A there was the D-Pull with a Hancock scraper. My Dad had two of them one with an Allison automatic transmission, and the other was with a Fuller 5 speed. The Hancock manual calls it a Hancock 10E2 Elevating Scraper With L-W "D-Pull" according to the Installation, Operation, Service book. There is a couple of Service Briefs they are called, one dated November 1, 1961, and the other dated December 1, 1961. Hope this helps.
I'm still pretty sure those fell into the 111A classification.
From what I was told it came out before the 111A. I suppose it makes it a pretty rear machine
Hi Tones The model before was a D'Pull with 10E2 Hancock bowl. About the only significant difference was lower HP from 4-71 at 148BHP and they carried 1 less yard in payload. So I am presuming the one you are thinking of has a Fuller manual transmission because the D'Pull did come out with an Allison in October 1963. Rectifier shouldn't be too much of an issue. My V Power C'Pull was changed to solid state before I bought it. So the D'Pull should be able to be rigged up the same. Cheers Gordon
Yea Gordon this has the Allison trany but without the VIP and original. The owner has a 222g with the solid state rectifier.
I'm new to this sight, so may be out of Line. I Sold WABCO SCRAPERS and naturally am biased. The 222g was a great unit, Features that made it outperform Comp. was VIP which help control s When Wheels started to spin it would slow that wheel down in sand or mud and it could continue without Burying it. The Traction Sensing Differential . The Tractor was in constant Lock-up until it was turned, that made it able to Duck Walk without breaking, (No Pushing a Lockup devise, or Holding it in Lockup and Duck Walk it W/O Breakage. We also installed Turbo II, and Cowl Mufflers for Noise Elevator was Full torque down to about 1000 RPM, A Cat, Clark, Terex with Hydraulic would Lug and Elevator Lugged with it. Sometimes the Diode in Elevator would go bad. Corner Bits were Visible on Both sides, due to Central Operator Placement. 23-35 machines had same Wheel, Engine, and Tranny Front and Rear, and Rear supplied Hydraulics, No High Pressure Hydraulics came over Goose neck into Cab Great Safety Feature, To Bad Corporate Decisions Prevailed. Great Machines.
Problem, removing 333ft rear differential without removing engine and transmission. Solution , make up new radiator mounts so the fuel tank can be lowered from under the engine.
more images, hopefully we will not be needing to go back in for some time, but next time and even going back together, it will much quicker and easier.
Well done very ingenious solution to the "problem". Shame OEM engineers didn't think ahead. Cheers Gordon
Some old Wabco promo films - with and without audio dug out and dusted off. The years in storage haven't been kind to the quality & color. Wabco presentation/product info Chapter 1: Chapter 2: 333FT: Marlow
Marlow, thanks for taking the time to convert and post these films, the quality is better than losing them forever. Per your E-mail, there are a few machines I recognize.
I have to confess after spending the last 6 months or so operating a couple of 639,s and watching clips of the big Wabco,s loading up over the last hour i cant believe how easy they chew sand.They seem to have alot more elevator power no doubt
I've been a Wabco guy from way back (most of my life), I don't think there was any other elevating machine that could out load them. I've been on 222F's, 252's 333F's, 333FT's and a couple of 353's. That electric drive made all the difference. I have run a couple of 623's and 633's and never was impressed much. Always wanted to get my paws on a 639, but never had the chance.
Having 2 motors driving the elevators is the thing.39,s etc only have the one hydraulic and if thats not set up to be full on all the time no matter how the engines reving then they just slow down and then jam up on you and you have to stop run them backwards to clear them,its painfull and all because the, i will call it load assist coz i forget what valve that stops working in the tranny is called.It is air operated when the gear lever is put in 1st or 2nd.When this is working they load up easy maybe not as fast as the Wabco.
All of you LeTourneau and Wabco fans need to read this book. Wonderful story about the man who invented the scraper and the bull dozer.
Could someone run through the electrical components of the elevator drive on the 252/333/352 scrapers? Did they use a big version of a car alternator, thus generating 3 phase AC power? Then a diode set to convert to DC? Or did they stay with AC current? Single phase or 3 phase? What voltage did they run? Looking at pictures of the machines, the motor size is very compact for a 100+hp motor. That's why I asked about 3 phase operation. As old as the machines are I'm guessing a DC system, similar to rail road locomotives of that time frame. I've never been around any of them.
The 252's used a hydraulic drive elevator with a 2 speed piston pump and a vane motor. The electric elevator machines used 3 phase AC to power the motors, they had a large alternator sandwiched between the engine and transmission producing roughly 400volts and 120 hertz at 1800 rpm. That is how they kept the motors relatively compact.
Yes, I read the book and couldn't stop laughing at most of RG antics. It also explains and shows how brilliant his mind was. On a side note somewhere I read that he is number two to Thomas Eddison in the number of patents held. What I would have liked to have seen were his 210 Yard scrapers that were over 5,000 hp that had 8 16V Detroit engines on it.
I was going to buy one of his books and a couple of other,s including the Buster Peterson one which is just about rare,few copies in the states but the prices are way out there,so i thought i would go Euclid and Letourneau until i seen shipping cost,s.I was on Amazon.
I'm not sure about the model before the 111a but I have a question about a 111a. I have one and the main transformer is putting over 30amps to the batteries. I know the flux bridge is suppose to regulate this current but mine is not. Can anybody tell me what check or do to it to prevent this excess current. Thanks for any help.
I think the model before the 111a was called the Hancock 10e- same front end as the DPull.
Just had a quick read through my C'Pull service manual and it says " More than normal charge rate indicates !. Flux bridge lost, or 2. Flux bridge shimmed out too far." I have never done this but I presume you would be able to do a resistance (ohm) test across the flux bridge terminals with a multimeter. No resistance would indicate that it has failed. If you have some resistance then you could try removing a couple of shims to increase the resistance and lower the charge rate. Hope this helps Cheers Gordon
I havent ohm.across it but have taken shims out and added all that would go in between the coils. With em removed its sure putting out according the amp gauge at high rpm but with all in its reduced some but not near enough. I will ohm and see if some other magnetic material would work. That's for the info.
Now I really gotta dig out a manual, IIRC the shims are supposed to be Non magnetic and there should be a minimum of 1 installed. Seemed to me they were non magnetic stainless steel or a type of fiberglass sheet.
I was thinking FBGLS or phenolic. Insulators.
This is all I can find right now, and it doesn't add much to the op's information. Somewhere I have a B70 manual that has more info.
The only reason I said magnetic is because I think I read that in the patent. Google flux bridge and pull up the patent on that invention. It's pretty interesting and correct me if I'm wrong.
I have that same manual and read the troubleshooting part about 10 times and have not been about to reduce the amps to batteries. I'm wondering if that diode rectifier has anything to do with it. I've tried removing and adding shims using the same shims and using insulated and non insulated material on the flux bridge with no luck. Thanks for your time.
I'll read up on it, But after nearly 45 years of working on the things, I'm pretty sure it was non magnetic shims and non magnetic stainless bolts that held the bridge on. The more shims, the higher the voltage, used to shim the transformer bridges on the hydraulic steer machines to get 4-410V at high idle with no load on the elevator, that made them load quick. Those used stainless shims. (non magnetic).
If you have a blown diode passing current both directions it will raise your charging current and boil batteries. Check diodes.
Okay I may be completely wrong on that. That dude has got me flipped and aggravated especially with this 100+ weather down here in texas. The manual is showing the diamond plate over the top holding the shims. Mine has the brackets on each side with shims tacked to the brackets. 2 identical ones. One for the top and one for the bottom and a long 3/8 bolt on each side holding them together. I'm pretty sure I used just regular 3/8 bolts not stainless. That could be part of my problem right there. Thanks for the help.
Okay I'll check em.. thanks alot.. yea them batteries are expensive. They will work for a little while then not long after a good boil or 2 they will short out.
im trying to identify a wabco machine only info i have i model number DPF2 two head light 5 speed man trans detroit power elevatoe small bowl
The machine you have is a model D Tournapull tractor and the bowl will be either 10E2 Hancock or 111A Wabco. You can tell the difference from looking at the bowl side reinforcing, If it is all straight down then it is a 10E2. If one straight and the others diagonal then it is a 111A. Hope this helps. Cheers Gordon
Ok thank I have the 10e2 bowl ... what is the cubic yards ? 10 ?
Ok thank I have the 10e2 bowl ... what is the cubic yards ? 10 ? thank you very much its my first scraper , have a poultry farm / cattle farm to put it to work on .. im sure im gonna be needing some help from yall good folks soon enough ,,, thank you
Yes you are correct the 10E2 Hancock is rated at 10 cubic yards. Have fun with your first scraper and, if you are anything like me, you will still have it 18 years later. All the best. Gordon
ok well im learning that this machine is not ready to work as i was hoping elevator runs but week one phase has 100 volt drop will not steer with elevator engaged but will steer fine other wise rectifier been switched to new style have 3 volts at rectifier where i should have like 70 volts the 104 to ground test indicated low voltage as well have a 111a book that im trying to use and learning about using volt meter im in way over my head seems like machine has a lot of potential located north east arkansas if you can help 870 335 5606 Lee
Sounds like several problems to me, need to find out if the weak phase starts at the generator output first, If the stator has a bad phase that can get expensive fast. I will try to make some time to give you a call tomorrow and give you some ideas of things to check out.
Also wondering if there is not a short or a weak service wire issue going on here.
update im checking at the contact and then comparing to gen out put at generator and in getting same voltage at both places ..... but sometimes i see 230 230 160 ..... and then other times i test i will see like 165 165 165 it will be the same at both places ... im talking to a gentleman that says i need transformers ... any thoughts and does anyone have any ?
another update ,,, looks like generator test good when unhooking transformer and testing gen alone bout 300 volts across all 3 phases
Transformer could have a intermittent to ground or a failed winding Tap point. Are still a FEW and not sure if any around you electrical shops that will rewind the old ones. Last dry pack I had my hands on was rebuilt in East St Louis IL, they are long gone.
Talked with the OP this afternoon for awhile and I'm leaning toward a diode failure in the booster rectifier. He says he's not getting any more than 24V DC at the field connections, with a load from an unloaded elevator that should go up to 60, even 80V from the starting surge. He mentioned the rectifier is converted to a diode bridge from the old plate rectifiers, but the bridge is in the old oil tank without cooling oil. Uncooled diodes are no Bueno. Later machines with diodes placed the diodes in the air cleaners for positive cooling. We'll see what he finds next. He's going to use some long leads on the multimeter to check the 3 phase harnesses.
This thread has been quiet for a while... I am currently building a dam in Central NSW, using two 222G's. It's the first job since buying them, having some teething troubles but have shifted 50,000 ccm so far, 65,000 ccm to go.
Uploading woes..
https://m.facebook.com/groups/571928599531216/
https://m.facebook.com/groups/571928599531216/ Weakness, heres your old girl at its new home in a new country Apologies for the double post, just had to sure to be sure.
Just curious to on how your scrapers worked for you you on the production side of things. By the looks of the soil you are working with they should have done a good job. My dad had a C-Pull with a handcock scraper with a CPA6A serial number that he bought in 1964. It orginaly had the six teeth on the two middle cutting edge sections. The cutting edge was 4 thirty inch wide by eighteen long cutting edge pieces with the middle two being lower than the two outside ones. In 1970 he came across some new design edges from the Wabco dealer in Kansas City, Mo. USA that were 30 inch wide by 30 long. The dealer recomended he try a set of two for the middle edges and not install the teeth on them. The result was astonishing. We would start the borrow area or cut at one side and move across the with of the borrow are running the outside of the left tire against the outside of the previous right wheel track until we got all the way across the area. Then we would come back and pick up the ridge that was left from the first time across. What that did was the new cutting edge stuck down about 4 to 5 inches, so when we came back and picked up the ridge we wrer picking up about 8 to 10 inches of dirt and not getting the sides edges in the ground draining horsepower. On the average we could load the scrapers over flowing with 20 yards of material in less than an minute. When the job was by the yard we could make great time. I still have that scraper and when I used it 10 years ago it still would load in under a minute. Once the new style edges were not adaviable any more we would weld worn out edges together so we would get the extended length on the two center ones. One thing in order to load that fast was the not let the RPM's drop lower than 1800 RPM so as not to bog the elevator down. And the another difference is the C-Pull had 2 motors on the elevator. I was a teenager back then and only got to run a D-Pull which had a stick shift and was always always told STAY OUT OF THE C-Pull BORROW AREA, because picking up the ridges made my little machine load a lot easier. Now I'm 71 years old and just want to pass on any information that I learned from being around heavy equipment for over 60 years. In case you are wondering how that figures out I was running a Cat D-6 9u serial number when I was 10. Hope this is helpful Maurice
good evening gentleman, what size generator is on the d111a
I have a parts book, but it just identifies the parts, no mention of capacity. It can't be to large with a 4-71 for an engine. If you are looking to retrofit something current to work be aware it is a 120 hz system.
This is what I have on it
Hi Maurice, I ended up building 4 dams, something like 200,000 m3, did it for $2.20/m3 plus fuel. I have some good picks, I'll post if those interested are still alive!
Weakness, interest is very much alive. Thought you'd immigrated to the land of the long white cloud so you could be near your old beast. Good to know you are still above ground and sucking air.
I'm still waiting for those pictures! The first scraper I ever ran was WABCO model C. It is hard to believe it was 57 years ago.
Sorry, got distracted, trying to get machines ready for a few waterway repair jobs, and a gliding strip to remove a rock hill and extend the strip. Amidst the wettest year I can remember here in NW NSW.
New guy here, can someone give me information on places I can purchase parts for Wabco scrapers? I just purchased 333A with 12V-71N just south of San Antonio, Tx.
Could be a Bad Day other than direct manufacturers of the components, WABCO sold to Dresser 1984, they buddied up with Komatsu soon after, which went overseas as Dressta early 2000s?, not even certain that is a production line anymore.
Goodman Contractors in New Zealand could be a source of information. They have done full tear down restos and I think make a lot of parts in house for their own fleet.
How about some scrap yards?
You have a part number? WABCO Parts For Sale on MachineryTrader.com WABCO Parts For Sale on MachineryTrader.com at MachineryTrader.com www.machinerytrader.com
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Y7qUqsH42oyKAZSk8 https://maps.app.goo.gl/DMPhSUwgnsjVbcG27
TEREX were old Euclid chassis.
We need pics. Does it run? What is electric on the 333A? Good luck on your parts quest.
Here in Missouri, we can get Wabco parts from the Komatsu dealer. What are you looking for?
great pics
Did you ever figure out why you did not have reverse?