Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wacker Exciter Oil Change?

Parts ยท 2021-12-10 20:09

Got a Wacker RT82 in and need to do an oil change on gear case and exciters along with other maintenance. According to the manual 2 of the drums are removed to replace the gear case oil (with new 10W-30) and 2 of the drums are removed to replace the exciter oil. Anything in particular regarding exciter oil change as the manual is saying you need special tools...doesn't look too special to me but thought I would ask. Also does the exciter take 10W-30 as well? Thanks!

Replies10
  1. #1Parts2022-01-16 10:17

    Ok not sure if this help job anyones memory but the manual specifies a Mobil grease for the exciters. Do I scrape them clean and regrease?

  2. #2MarshallPowerGen2022-01-16 18:20

    Where are you seeing info on replacing exciter/gear oil? IIRC everything is hydraulic fluid from the manifold to the drive motors and exciter, and the pivots and motor splines take grease. Oh, make sure to loosen but keep the big drum nut on when pulling the cover. It will take a lot of force with a puller to remove the cover and it will let go with a BANG!

  3. #3Parts2022-01-16 21:00

    I thought the manual said grease in the exciters but I will have to check again and repost when I do. So you are saying the exciters should be lubricated in hydraulic fluid? What would I be lubricating behind the drums and covers then?

  4. #4MarshallPowerGen2022-01-16 23:08

    Going off of memory; but the whole system is contolled from the hydraulic manifold and it's all just hydraulic motors. Only oil in the drums was when I had to replace a leaking hose. The internals of the drums were dry IIRC. Hydraulic motors and greased bearings is all I've seen, but you might have an older unit than I've worked on.

  5. #5Parts2022-01-17 09:38

    That sounds right going off what I remember reading in manual. So do the greased bearings get repacked or leave them alone? Thats the portion I am trying to figure out.

  6. #6MarshallPowerGen2022-01-17 20:33

    I never did, but if they are open or have a seal you can pop out with a pick, I'd check and grease them. Not like they turn at any sort of speed; it would be more of an age thing.

  7. #7Parts2022-01-18 08:15

    Thanks. So everything spinning at crazy speed to make vibration is hydraulic fluid lubed and the greased bearings are slow speed?

  8. #8MarshallPowerGen2022-01-18 09:25

    Sorry, I was thinking more of the "wheel bearings" in the drums when I typed that last night. Damn, now you got me thinking and I just looked up a parts manual. Realized I've torn in as far as replacing a sheared off exciter motor, but never dug inside of the actual exciter in one of those. Definitely greased bearings, but I don't think anything in those is splash lubed or submerged. I could be off though... Are you looking to just go in and redo all the fluids on this thing?

  9. #9Parts2022-01-18 09:29

    Yeah just don't want the bearings to let go...so looking to get fresh lubrication in there. When it warms up I may have to pull a drum and take a look.

  10. #10farmkid16_20022023-02-08 03:40

    Rt82 A and B models used to take 10w30 in the exciter housing. All the new ones only Grease and plastic drive gears from what I have worked on for the last 15 years as diesel tech.