I have a coming up where we are building a large house pad, approximately 5500 yards of fill is coming in. The specs call for lifts of 8" or less, the fill portion of the job is estimated to take 10 days (hourly job, customer only wants compact equipment on the job, spreading dirt with a CTL) and the compaction spec is 95%. The fill is SC/CL. There is a $4k budget for the compactor rental. That's enough to rent a large compactor from United Rentals. However, last night I found this for $4.5k and am wondering if would work and add to my equipment pool. Description listed: 2010 Wacker R1000B Hours: 452 40' Padfoot Drum Motor: Deutz Diesl Front Blade I don't think it's a 2010 as I believe they were discontinued a while back. My thinking is 5500 yards/10 days= 550 yards/day 550/8 hours= 70 yards/hr 8" lifts means 70 yards/hr would cover 2500 sq ft/hr. The roller is 40" wide, so 2.5mph would cover 44k sq ft/hr, or 17.6 passes per hour. It would seem that's a fine safety margin, however I'm quite new to all this and am trying to get my ducks in a row. Anyone have information regarding that compactor and/or its suitability to the job?
looks like this machine was waiting for you,,,,,,,,,,,,:drinkup
Could be! It would be fantastic to come out of the job owning a compactor. Gotta call tomorrow and see if it's still available, but it'd be fantastic if someone knew something about them and their long term durability/suitability for the application.
Wacker is a long established compactor company from small plate wackers to the big ones you are thinking of buying.They use a Deutz aircooled diesel engine, widely used worldwide.Quality is obvious
Yeah, the Deutz doesn't scare me, I have 2 on stump grinders. The usual thing about this machine that I can tell from the pictures is the steering. Also in this picture I see some dry rot on the tires. Overall I expect it will be hard to go wrong, unless it can't make it through the job without a break down or if it's grossly undersized/ill suited for the job at hand.