Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wain Roy bucket pin – is it held by a ‘snap ring’?

TreeHogger ยท 2014-03-03 13:32

Hrrrmph! I need to pull my bucket cylinder off, and all the various pins are held in by 'through-bolts' but the one on the end of the cylinder (rod end), seems to have nothing holding it in...I am stumped. However, there is what appears to be a circle of metal on one end of the pin...could this be a retainer of some sort? Also, one of the bucket teeth was in the tool box when I bought the old turd (JD 490D), the rest of them appear to be new. Do I take the tooth in somewhere to determine what type of retainer I need to secure the tooth back on? (Wain Roy bucket) Thanks! Mark

Replies9
  1. #1ANDREW C2014-03-03 14:38

    Pin 27 correct? Looks like it is a small pin held in by a fat snap-ring. You take the snap ring off and pull the retaining pin. Make sure you get all of it out, sometimes the break off inside.

  2. #2ANDREW C2014-03-03 14:40

    http://www.bucket-teeth.biz/Browse-All_c11.htm This shows a lot of different styles but posting a picture of the tooth and adapter someone may recognize it.

  3. #3Deeretracks2014-03-03 15:18

    Andrew is correct, the collar the is welded on the dogbone has a groove with a split ring in it. Use a screwdriver to pry the ring off it just keeps the retaining pin from falling out. Use the screwdriver to push the retaining pin out and you're home free. Yes, post a pic of the tooth and we can help, no telling what Wainroy used.

  4. #4TreeHogger2014-03-03 18:46

    Gentlemen, thank you! Didn't get as far as spotting the retaining pin under the 'snap ring'. (And Deeretracks, dang, what a great user name! What do you have for a machine?) ~ Mark from Minnesota

  5. #5Deeretracks2014-03-03 23:37

    Mark, I'm shop foreman for a mid sized contractor with about 50 pieces of gear. We have excavators ranging from Hitachi 35's up to PC400's. Plus dozers, backhoes, loaders, etc. A bit of everything. I used to be a field tech for a Deere dealer so some of the Deere/Hitachi stuff comes from memory. Glad I could help, any update on the teeth?

  6. #6TreeHogger2014-03-27 13:37

    Deeretracks: On the teeth, yes, I tracked down the retainer that I would need, but it is over thirty bucks, not including shipping!! (Not the tooth, just the retainer) So I am planning on inserting a grade 8 bolt, and letting it wear... Does this make sense to you??? Thanks, Mark

  7. #7Deeretracks2014-03-27 14:19

    No, I can't think of any retainers that would be that spend for that small size. Is it a cat style side pin? They only run about $5 for the pin and washer. Take a pic and I'll try to help.

  8. #8TreeHogger2014-03-27 16:43

    It is a Hensley XS20SYL Tooth (according to the images on the link above from AndrewC) and the pin is XS20P...

  9. #9Deeretracks2014-03-27 17:01

    Wow, I've never run across that style before. The price is crazy $110 for a tooth and pin? They better last way longer than the others because they are 4X the price.