Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wall question.

Truckie ยท 2007-01-21 18:54

Question. The city where I live is putting up a new wall where I live. Once the wall is up the city is told the residents the wall will become your responsibility . :spaz The The wall they are putting up is 12" think by 24" wide I believe and is 5 to 6' long. It is a single lock block . The started to build the wall on 18 to 24" of lime stone. They started to build the wall, and on one side it is around 7' tall and the other side which is roughly 60'away is 3 ' high. That is the difference to make it level from one side to the other. Well the other day they started to pour concert in the wall and also used it as back fill. They poured 95 yards all at once. They never tied it to the dirt and shale hill behind it no reinforcing wire or rebar nothing just the block and 95 yards of concert They don't have a blue for the wall no Forman or server on the job nothing, they are just eyeballing it. Now they are going to finish putting the wall up but they are going to back fill it with lime stone but still are not planning on using anything to tie the wall in to the hill it is going to hold up. The wall height is something like 25' high. They are not even planning on stepping the wall back, they are just going straight up. FEMA is paying for the wall because it fell during the flood of 2004 we had. Dose this sound courser to any one. My main concern is once it is done I have to take reasonability for it . They made us all sign wavers and half my yard is missing as it is right now. Here are some pictures. What do you all think. Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1Dozerboy2007-01-22 14:21

    I would take all of the pics you can of the lack of reinforcement etc talk to a lawyer from what you have said I would take no responsibility for that wall. I'm sure it would be fine for a few years at least, but if it came down to it and the wall has sings of failing I would sell the house if I had to.

  2. #2Dwan Hall2007-01-22 19:56

    Do like the city would do to you. 90% of the areas require a stamped drawing if the wall is over 4' high. Check with your city to see what there requirements are then if required issue a stop work on your property till you see a engenerred stamped drawing for the wall. I for 1 would not accept responcibility for any wall over 4' high without a set of stamped drawings. Dwan

  3. #3Countryboy2007-01-22 20:12

    I hope your house is atleast 25' from that wall. :yup I agree with Dwan, get everything held up till you can get this situation fixed. There are plenty of ways, some more "Down-n-Dirty" than others, that you can get this fixed the way its supposed to be. Which ever way you take just remember you will have more "clout" handling it in a group than you will individually. Get together with the neighbors and make sure everybody is on the same page. Good luck with this and let us know how it turns out. :thumbsup