Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

want to build root rake using dozer cutting edges as teeth- any comments on this?

lake side bob ยท 2011-04-05 22:06

I want to build a root rake for the D3C dozer. I have drawn up the blue prints for all the parts. Thinking of using used dozer cutting edges for the root teeth, I am wondering if I plasma cut the teeth out of the cutting edges and weld them onto the 5 inch steel tube would that make them brittle so they would break? Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated. Need to keep cost of materials down so new ar400 steel is out of the equation.

Replies12
  1. #1koldsteele2011-04-05 22:32

    I just installed one ona D4 series 3 hi track...It came from Construction Attachments in King ,N.C. nice unit not sure what it cost the man.. My only concern wit using and old cuttin edge would be aint most of the bolt on edges spring steel ?? Spring steel dont weld ..looks like a shank of a heavy built box blade would be good for your rippers ..

  2. #2mitch5042011-04-05 22:49

    I don't think most of them are spring steel, for years I have been welding old motorgrader edges that I got from the county shop on our loader buckets.

  3. #3koldsteele2011-04-05 22:56

    Well then weld away ...Foot rockin and puddle walkin ..

  4. #4Lee-online2011-04-05 23:04

    I think it depends on the cutting edge. Some are brittle and when welded on the weld just breaks off with a chunk of the edge.

  5. #5CM19952011-04-06 00:47

    I agree. We have used old cutting edges from dozers for wear plates on many buckets from excavators to track loaders to skid steers, still wearin' strong.

  6. #6Scott Hightower2011-04-10 08:24

    plasma cutting is reasonably cool so you won't have much of a heat affected zone, should be OK Scott welders360

  7. #7RadicalRedNeck2011-04-20 17:09

    Sounds like a good ideal!

  8. #8r_steven2011-06-08 16:19

    Be sure to preheat them before welding, and use a higher strength electrode/MIG wire. just try one first and see what happens!

  9. #9dirty4fun2011-06-12 21:49

    I have welded used grader blades on the cutting edge and as wear bars on the bottom of buckets and never had a problem with them. I have used various rod and had good success with all of them. Though for what you are doing I would probably use at least 7018, rod.

  10. #10southernman132011-11-22 07:06

    Dozer rake Just came across your post, did you make the rake? I made one for my komatsu D31P20. I made mine out of used forklift forks, I used mostly the upper portion of the forks. They have worked out very well. I was concerned about welding them as well as I know they are made from heat treated steel, but didn't have any problems. I wanted a rake that had closer spacing between the tines because I have a lot of smaller trees and brush to clear and it has worked out better for me. I have had the corner of the rake up against a root an had the dozer walk around without breaking anything. Pretty amazing. I wish I had made the tines a little longer, it works fine but I found it does a real good job of subsoiling as well, I think mine are right at 12 inches

  11. #11rosewood2011-11-22 17:27

    If you have a friendly track repair shop anywhere nearby, have seen old track pins used quite a bit and work well. Should be cost effective as well seeing you really should not pay any more than scrap value.

  12. #12halfshack2011-12-03 20:11

    i built one for my J/D450-c, i used an I beam an scarfire teeth from a grader, works mint made like scarfire to remove them with a wedge to change teeth,or wider configuration