Hi, I'm looking to buy a used CAT 953 (or maybe 963). I really need the 4 in 1 MP bucket so this narrows my choices a lot. Also, I am farming and do most of my land clearing/maintence in the winter-- so I really need an enclosed cab--- hard to be in an open cab when it's 10 degrees and blowing! I think I can get the heat by tapping into the engine coolant line going from the engine to the radiator (there are kits for this). But if anyone knows a better way to get heat -- I'm listening-- Also the cab enclosure over a ROPS-- any ideas would be great-- Thanks, Bob
Tap into the smaller ports typically on the water pump and thermostat housing area, so you get coolant flow even when the thermostat is closed, and you get more pressure and flow than the radiator gets. Plexiglass, plywood and/or canvas are the typical ways to build a cab.
Thanks Delmer. --Looked online and didn't really find much, a few plastic/cloth cabs for $500. I think sheet plastic and cloth would be blown apart in a few months outside.
If you want it stronger than plexiglass, then find some tempered glass panels about the right size. That's the stuff with the ANSI rating in the corner of the pane, it will be in any modern door, or windows that are close to sidewalks or the floor, or vehicle side and rear windows. Tempered glass is so strong it's hard to break by hitting it with a sledge hammer in the center, it will break easily from tapping the edge though. You can't cut it, but you can order it made to custom sizes. If you're planning to resell it at any point, don't drill or weld to the ROPS, it destroys the certification.
I installed a Cat road grader heater in my Ranger 666 log skidder and hooked it to the engine coolant. For a cab I simply enclose it in the winter by drilling a few holes in 1/8" Plexiglas and tie wired the pieces to the wire mesh. Cheap and easily replaced when I stick a stick thru one about once a year. In the big back screen and across the top of the hood I just lap two pieces. Even though the pieces don't seal at all it and the top section of one half door is open so I can use the door, the heat will blow you out of there. I usually skid in just a underwear top and a flannel shirt at near zero weather.