It will replace a 4-71 in a Fiat-Allis 645-B front end loader. We know the "gemmy" is not original for the machine but want to just do a change-out, rather than re-engineer something else back in (not even an original Allis Chalmers 6cyl which I know where one is). Looking from the flywheel,the starter and exhaust are on the LHS and the blower is on the RHS. The old engine can't come out yet so I don't know what the bellhousing is but it bolts to an Allison TT2421-1 . I am trying to find out the bellhousing by other means but if anyone can help with just that info. it would be a great help. I can't rely on the existing spec plate on the engine because I was told that there were some bits swapped from another dead engine to this one when it was fitted and (you guessed it) the plate was not amended. It would be lovely to find one in Oz but if you have the right one and can crate and dispatch it, we will do the export/import from anywhere. Cheers. Maurie.
Are you saying the machine currently has a 4-71 that is configured as you described? If so, have you considered overhauling the engine as opposed to finding a replacement? I don't know where there are used Detroit engines laying around myself, but I know an outfit in North Carolina that does good overhaul work. Seems a good distance from Australia though, I would think someone in Australia could perform this type of work.
Yes, it has a 4-71 in it now but with a broken con rod and holes in both sides of the block. I've located a few in Oz but they are too good and too expensive for the owner. The machine is going to be retired to his farm and isn't worth much, even running. I can't specify the engine completely until I know what bellhousing it has. If nobody comes up with the measurement from an Allison TT2421-1 that's out on the floor, we may well find the answer for the first time when I pull the dead one out, but that can't happen until the mill shuts down for Christmas, leaving the new loader (a beautiful Volvo L-70B) free to do the lift. I 've discovered a world-wide site called "Diesel Engine Trader" and I think this is where the replacement will come from, once I can specify it totally. The problem with doing a rebuild or even just re-using the bellhousing from the dead engine, is that I have precious little time to spend on it, with my own gear to try and maintain. But the owner won't let anyone else touch it now, since I predicted some sort of catastrophe after someone else changed a head and didn't set the engine up properly ! (What's that you say about a good mechanic). So just a quick clean change out is what I really need. It,s in my interest to do the job, because I cart woodchip and millwaste to the farm and we need the loader there to build the stockpile and so I can pull my truck out when I get bogged. Thanks for your interest.
Thanks to fellow Junior Member jmatthai, I now know that the TT2421-1 has a SAE #2 bellhousing. Thanks Mate.