Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wanted: Diagnostic tool education

whitemike ยท 2013-08-31 07:00

We operate a combined timber harvesting/land-clearing operation with a wide array of equipment and trucks. The days of shade tree repairing the later model equipment with ECU's has gone. I have been looking into purchasing some diagnostic tools but I don't want to purchase something expensive and later learn of its limitations and the fact I could have bought this other piece used my laptop, buy some software program or programs (modules) I think their called that would do same things. Please someone with this kind off experience, kindly tell a guy where he would get the most bang-for-buck when it comes to making a heavy duty diagnostic tool purchase.

Replies9
  1. #1caterpillarmech2013-08-31 08:01

    What make of equipment are you running? I run cat et but that only works for cat and cat engines.

  2. #2whitemike2013-08-31 09:13

    With both construction & foresty equipment plus trucks, it is am array of engines, cat dozers ,cat truckengines, large and small cummins, Detroit , Mitsubishi.

  3. #3grandpa2013-08-31 16:00

    I just bought the Cummins Insight program..... kinda like do it yourself brain surgery but Im learning... the boys learn quicker than me, but were getting along.... I think to get the best results to work on Cat get the cat.. if Cummins get the cummins and so forth,,, cheap it isn't.

  4. #4whitemike2013-09-01 05:38

    Grandpa, thx for your help. You are correct when you answered cheap isn't it and i'm not looking for cheap, i'm looking for value. In my research so for i've learned that a MPS system has its own scan tool, its software is engine specific, cat u get cat, cummins you get cummins. On the other hand a JPRO system is broad-based, covering several engines and transmissioms, using your own lap-top. (I may not be exact in my descriptions but there you go, lack of knowledge). The two cost about the same, so sir its not about cheap, its about i am like you and dont know these systems. I just don't want to buy one apple when i could have gotten a basket of them for not much more money. And again thank you all for your kelp, i enjoy this web-site

  5. #5whitemike2013-09-25 17:51

    Cat trucks and a 2004 d5n cat dozer

  6. #6animalv2015-03-14 13:05

    We're do you go to get training on diagnosing with the programs

  7. #7grandpa2015-03-14 14:14

    Most of the programs are pretty self explanatory. The hardest part for me is basic computer skills. Lol. If your under 50 you won't have much problem.. over 50, well that's just another story.

  8. #8MJHeavy2015-04-04 10:30

    CAT ET has a training program built into it. Very easy to operate.

  9. #9John C.2015-04-06 00:49

    In the last few years most models of equipment have the diagnostics accessible from the monitor panel inside the cab. Before spending thousands for hardware and software you should dig into each piece of equipment to see if you really have to spend that kind of money.