Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wanted: Looking to buy a international T340 dozer

topgut ยท 2023-05-19 22:52

Hi Folks, Looking to buy a T340 International dozer in working condition. Im in northeast PA.

Replies43
  1. #1Delmer2023-05-19 22:57

    WHY? there are so many better dozers out there. Maybe I'm biased from a junk one.

  2. #2topgut2023-05-19 23:11

    Looking for one for light work that i can put a 3 pt hitch and pto on. Don't need a Euclid to move it around.

  3. #3Welder Dave2023-05-19 23:36

    That could be hard to find. JD had some dozers with a 3pt. hitch and PTO. I think there was even a Cat D3B with a 3pt. and PTO in a thread on here several years ago. It had a 1000 RPM PTO and bush hog on the back.

  4. #4topgut2023-05-19 23:40

    Thanks for the input. It can be created. From what I have read the 340 Int. industrial tractor is the same PTO unit. There were tons of them here cutting the highways years ago. Lots in the bone yards.

  5. #5topgut2023-05-19 23:41

    Is there any truth that the diesel engine in the TD340 was a poorly engineered engine?

  6. #6Welder Dave2023-05-19 23:43

    There's a reason they are in the bone yards. As in years ago yeah but that's 60 or so years ago. There are better choices to look for. Undercarriage is the biggest issue on any crawler. I don't know if you can get new undercarriage parts for old IH machines.

  7. #7topgut2023-05-19 23:45

    Can you give me a alternative that does not require a new mortgage? Im almost 60.

  8. #8Welder Dave2023-05-19 23:50

    It would cost you more to fix up an old 340 than to buy something that actually ran and worked decent. What do you want to do with it and what is your budget? For a 3pt. you're probably much better off with a rubber tire tractor.

  9. #9topgut2023-05-19 23:54

    Thanks Dave. I have several tractors. I want to be able to drag a log out of wet places and keep my atv trails on my property tidy. I have considered a Cletrac/Oliver oc3 or oc4 also since they are small and can get into tight places. The rubber tacked tractors on Alibaba.com inspired me but we cant have them here but the rest of the world can.

  10. #10Welder Dave2023-05-20 00:06

    I think a compact 4 wheel drive tractor would be a better option, maybe a skid steer. Any crawler is a money pit. I wouldn't buy a Chinese machine with no support. Something goes wrong and you've got a big expensive boat anchor. It doesn't sound like you have the budget for a CTL. I have a tractor, skid steer and track loader. The tractor is the oldest by far but the most reliable machine I own. It's a very popular model so most parts are still available if I need something.

  11. #11topgut2023-05-20 00:10

    Thank you for the advice. I have a JD 790 AWD TLB. I may be better off renting a tracked skid steer with a dozer blade on it from time to time instead. Lets see what falls from the cyber universe. I have a ravine that I will need to pull logs from some time. looking ahead. Will be saw milling in retirement before I know it.

  12. #12topgut2023-05-20 00:15

    Just spotted this: New Holland Tk4030 for sale in NY.

  13. #13Welder Dave2023-05-20 00:25

    A dozer blade on a skid steer or CTL is one of the most useless attachments there is. They might work OK for clearing snow or pushing loose material like topsoil but for digging harder ground they don't work at all like an actual dozer. Almost impossible to get a level surface in packed material. There are several others on here who share the same sentiments. Case has a new Minotaur tracked machine with a special designed dozer that is not at all similar to a standard dozer blade attachment. Probably too big and too expensive to rent. What about renting a mini excavator to clean your ravine?

  14. #14topgut2023-05-20 00:28

    I have a Komatsu PC28UU-2E 6000# mini ex. Its good but acting up right now probably due to a broken wire or potentiometer problem. I have given that some thought but it is a small machine.

  15. #15Welder Dave2023-05-20 00:35

    That looks like an interesting machine. How much are they asking? Is there any local dealer support for it? It doesn't look to have a dozer blade attachment so it's biggest benefit is it will drive on softer, wetter ground. If your ground will support a skid steer or 4 wheel drive tractor you'd save on undercarriage costs.

  16. #16topgut2023-05-20 00:39

    They are asking $35000 in central NY. Thats way out of budget for me. The MRS would make head and rolling pin one. NH does support the newer track machines coming out of Italy I believe. They are everywhere there for hilly orchard use.

  17. #17Welder Dave2023-05-20 00:41

    I kind of thought it would be pricey. Where is Nepa?

  18. #18topgut2023-05-20 00:42

    SE Asia has cool track tractors they use in the rice patties.

  19. #19topgut2023-05-20 00:42

    NEPA = North East Pennsylvania

  20. #20topgut2023-05-20 00:44

    Lots of woods hills rocks swamps streams etc....

  21. #21Welder Dave2023-05-20 00:48

    It seems like a mini-ex might be best type of machine for you. Can you rent a larger one than what you have with steel tracks?

  22. #22topgut2023-05-20 05:39

    Yes I can rent a mini EX or a dozer for a few days. I think that might be the better option unless I get a crazy deal on a T340. Or a JD350.

  23. #23Tyler d4c2023-05-20 05:57

    You probably want to avoid a t340 dad had one when he started near 50 years ago they bought some of the last undercarriage berco had made to fit them

  24. #24Delmer2023-05-20 10:51

    The gas engines of those days were basically reliable if you can take care of points and condensers. The diesels were not fully developed in IH at that time. This small crawler was not fully developed, a rather poor adaptation of a farm tractor to fill a need that was replaced with other machines shortly after. You might find a gas or diesel crawler that works fine for you. But a t340 is not something I'd search out.

  25. #25dozer7772023-05-20 16:41

    iknow people he has for sale from [email protected]

  26. #26dozer7772023-05-20 16:42
  27. #27dozer7772023-05-20 17:38

    i have td 340 for sale

  28. #28TomA2023-05-21 11:37

    Td 340 is a poorly designed machine. Most have steering problems. Cute with a Drott but piece of crap. Oliver OC 3 or 4 much better if you can find one.

  29. #29topgut2023-05-25 15:17

    Thanks TomA. Why is a OC4 better? Im watching for one of those also.

  30. #30epirbalex2023-05-25 20:11

    I've owned and operated a TD5 , very capable little dozer . New in 1963 mine in 1980 . OC3 does not even compare to either the TD5 or the petrol version you are looking at . The steering is quite modern for the age of those dozers being the clutch on the first part of the leaver pull then engaging the brake further back . It has to be adjusted just right or will cause wear to bot the brake and the clutch . These little Inters are easy to work with and repair . Main clutch was a foot pedal on mine . What it come to is whats left in the tracks . The T340 would be bigger than the OC4 by 10 HP , a lot when at that size .

  31. #31topgut2023-08-12 05:58

    Hi fellas, I settled for a Terratrac GT25 I found within a reasonable drive and I towed it home with my trailer and and F150. It has a hydraulic 3PT hitch and a standard PTO. BUT......no dozer blade. It does have a single hydraulic cylinder up front for lifting a snow plow, which came with it. So, for the short run I will get a heavy blade and make it work for me and my small jobs. It runs and operates very well for a 73 year old time capsule find. Thanks have a good day.

  32. #32Welder Dave2023-08-12 12:51

    Post some pics. We might be able to suggest some options for implements and stuff.

  33. #33topgut2023-08-12 19:13

    I will try.

  34. #34topgut2023-08-12 19:15

    Again

  35. #35Welder Dave2023-08-13 00:36

    Do you have a pic of the 3pt. hitch?

  36. #36topgut2023-08-13 00:40

    working on pic of 3 PT hitch

  37. #37topgut2023-08-13 00:47

    Here is the 3PT hitch

  38. #38Welder Dave2023-08-13 01:23

    Do the arms on the sides with the pins move up and down hydraulically? If so you may be able to mount some lift arms off a tractor on the lower pivots and kind of make 3pt. hitch. Then you could adapt a rear blade, box blade or land plane.

  39. #39topgut2023-08-13 01:40

    Yes the upper arms do have a hydraulic cylinder lift. The cylinder is under the seat. Im going to the local tractor / equip scrap yard soon to get the arms and hopefully a blade off of a ditch witch type machine for the front. Or a mini EX blade or something similar.

  40. #40Welder Dave2023-08-13 01:43

    A blade off a trencher might be a good fit.

  41. #41topgut2023-08-13 01:47

    Thats what I was thinking. The little junk yard by me has some I know it. If they are still there.

  42. #42Welder Dave2023-08-13 01:51

    Would be nice if a blade could angle.

  43. #43topgut2023-08-13 02:01

    some of the trenchers have that type of blade. I see them on facebook marketplace.