I am a farmer that currently runs a newer komastu d65-15, and I am thinking of getting an older D8R or D8N also for bulk dirt pushing while building teraces. Some reasons are that they have a 3406 engine and are a mechanical motor no electronic engine control and the weight and power for pushing up big teraces. I have alot of ground in one area that I am reshaping for bigger farm equipment and would not move it that often. Is there an major problems and what kind of hours do major mechanical failures start.
I dont know about the 8R but the 8N has a 3306 engine.
The 8 Ns/Rs all had the 3406 for an engine, 6s/7s had the 3306, Cheers RDG.
Bean both the 8N and 8R are great machines. I think the only noticable difference between the two is the 8R has higher horsepower and possibly something about an updated torque converter. We only had 1 8N and 10 621Bs ( same engine) at the one company I worked for. Ours was a 89 and in 1999 she came in for a complete rebuild. I want to say at 20000 hrs give or take some. Then the engine had to be redone again in 2004 due to the lube man not filling up the fuel filters and overdosing the engine on either. How well your equipment lasts is all about how well you take care of it. Other than that we never had much problems with her other than regular wear and tear.
thanks guys any info is greatly apreciated just dont want to make a big mistake.
If its possible Bean ask the previous owner or dealer if you could demo the machine when you find one you're interested in. Also it probably wouldnt hurt to do some oil samples from the engine transmission and hydraulic system.