Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wanting to contact Scrub Puller

Tones · 2020-08-23 07:15

In the next 2 weeks or so I'm heading south from Far North Queensland and going past near where Scrub lives. Can someone here who has contact with him PM me details so we can catch over a culpa. Thanks in advance. Bloody so-called intelligent devices that can't spell----------should read, Wanting

Replies67
  1. #1digger242j2020-08-23 11:10

    Did you try to PM him from HEF? Even though he doesn't come around anymore, he should still get an email notification that he has a new "Conversation". (I fixed your device's spelling error too.) And tell him we miss him...

  2. #2Tones2020-08-23 17:36

    Cheers Digger. I tried to contact him some years ago via PM without luck.

  3. #3digger242j2020-08-23 20:34

    Ok. I thought it might be worth a try...

  4. #4.RC.2020-08-23 22:33

    He is in the Gladstone region isn't he?

  5. #5RMXR2020-08-24 00:09

    Tones, See your Conversations. Might get you closer. Gary

  6. #6Nige2020-08-25 15:32

    Tell Scrub I said hello if you do succeed in getting in touch with him.

  7. #7DMiller2020-08-25 16:09

    Same here as Nige!!

  8. #8RTSmith2020-08-25 16:10

    Yup. Miss his wisdom always starting with- Yair.

  9. #9Tones2020-08-25 17:48

    All I know is that he lives south of Gladstone, that he doesn't reply to PM'S. A bloody elusive bugger he is. So if anyone has a Email address I'd be mighty grateful.

  10. #10Muffler Bearing2020-08-25 18:25

    He always had some great stories and pics. Whoa!! Tones, I joined HEF 11 days after you! Cheers Greybeard!

  11. #11mitch5042020-08-26 00:00

    Yeah, I'd like to hear from him again, too!

  12. #12Vetech632020-08-26 00:12

    He always said “yair”. Can someone tell me what exactly that is?

  13. #13.RC.2020-08-26 00:19

    yea nah.

  14. #14Dugandan2020-08-26 07:11

    In my imagination I can see Scrub hooked up to one or two other dozers by chain, incredible noise of the machine, dust, heat, crashing timber and trying to keep himself, workmates and machines safe with the 2 way radio as the lifeline. I can also imaging that "Yair" coming over the crackle and shriek of an old 2 way radio as a "heads up" so the receiver knows a message is coming and concentrates to catch it. "Gotcha" is a 2 way radio response for sure.

  15. #15Queenslander2020-08-26 07:19

    I reckon I could probably get you to within a handful of kilometres...just going on a couple of hints he dropped over the years. Either way, it’s a beautiful part of the world to spend a few days if you’re travelling through.

  16. #16Tinkerer2020-08-26 08:59

    He also had his own airplane if i member correctly. If he still has it. A long time ago he posted a photo of himself standing by it . That and your info. would simplify finding him.

  17. #17ianoz2020-08-29 17:15

    Hi Tones I have met Scrub . Very private guy . Could not even get a first name out of him .He is not in Gladstone . All i could get out of him was he was south of Miriam Vale .

  18. #18Tones2020-08-30 04:12

    Thanks ianoz and Queenslander. I'm trying another way around. If that doesn't work I'll leave it be.

  19. #19Tinkerer2020-08-30 15:27

    This should get you very close to the elusive scrub puller. He posted this quite few years ago. ↓

  20. #20DMiller2020-08-30 16:42

    Google maps show a couple farms just at 7K+/- south of Miriam Vale. All well back off the road East of the Bruce A1 Highway.

  21. #21Tones2020-09-14 02:06

    Found.

  22. #22seatwarmer2020-09-14 03:06

    And ........ ????

  23. #23Nige2020-09-14 05:52

    Pls pass on my best. Hope he’s keeping well amidst all the current upheavals.

  24. #24DMiller2020-09-14 06:00

    Say Hello from another Old contact here!! PLS!

  25. #25Tinkerer2020-09-14 10:13

    Hope you n scrub can sit down with a computer and you can show him how easy it is to navigate his old home - site !

  26. #26seatwarmer2020-09-14 10:59

    Hell the suspense is killing me. Say Hi to Scrub.

  27. #27mitch5042020-09-14 13:09

    Yeah,tell him I said Hi, and if he'll come back, I won't pick on him about "yair"

  28. #28Tones2020-09-14 16:31

    Will do

  29. #29Tones2020-09-14 16:35

    Turns out a very good mate of mine has known him for over 40 years. Scrub and I are meeting up this arvo

  30. #30Tinkerer2020-09-14 16:37

    Scrub's gotta feel the camaraderie he is missing when he reads this thread.

  31. #31Tinkerer2020-09-14 16:39

    I love Aussie's descriptive words. I'm always doing a Google search ! Have a good time Saturday, Tones !

  32. #32Tones2020-09-14 16:45

    Google needs a kick. Meeting Scrub this afternoon Tuesday 15 September.

  33. #33Tinkerer2020-09-14 16:53

    Dam Google said arvo is Saturday. Dam Google.

  34. #34Welder Dave2020-09-14 17:43

    Yair.

  35. #35Tones2020-09-14 17:46

    Arvo happens every day ending with Y

  36. #36_Weldman_2020-09-14 22:34

    Okay I have to bite on this topic since I keep seeing Scrubs name on here, never met the guy never heard of of him on here but when I see the name Scrubs and how every describes him in here this is what is rolling through my head.

  37. #37Tones2020-09-15 05:33

    Well Scrub Puller and I 2 1/2 hours chatting this arvo. The stuff he has posted here is only a small portion of a very varied life. He is a humble man whom I called a legend but of course doesn't see it that way. I showed him how this site now works, so I think he'll be back. BTW I made him read this thread and is very grateful for your comments Thanks fellas

  38. #38JPV2020-09-15 09:55

    Attaboy Tones, I learned a lot from his posts and always enjoyed them. Would love to see him back.

  39. #39Nige2020-09-15 11:41

    His posts were always insightful & informative, accompanied by an underlying Australian dry sense of humour.

  40. #40sfrs42020-09-15 11:43

    he was around when i joined, but then disappeared, absolutely loved reading his threads, they were either hugely informative, a proper eye opener of just plain old anecdotal. but always a pleasure to read

  41. #41seatwarmer2020-09-15 11:47

    I wish he would write a book. His dry sense of humour and very descriptive painting in words will be blast to read.

  42. #42old-iron-habit2020-09-15 23:57

    I remember him saying his internet was not the best at times. I look forward to seeing him back. I still remember the story about the snake at his home when him and his wife were young. Good stuff.

  43. #43Tones2020-09-16 03:39

    Scrub and his wife have moved into the big smoke and retirement village lifestyle so the internet is no more of a problem.

  44. #44Scrub Puller2020-09-16 17:10

    Guday Folks, Scrub here . . . had to change the user name. I just read through this thread again. It was a bit difficult to digest when Tones first showed it on his tablet . . . on an anonymous and somewhat impersonal internet forum, I never realized anyone would notice my absence. I can't believe Tones went out of his way to track me down and that is a tale in its self. Health and eyesight problems made staying out bush difficult and as Tones mentions we have moved into a lifestyle village. I was unsure how I would hack it. In fairness to my wife (who has stuck with me in remote and difficult places) I thought at this time of our lives it would be best for her . . . in truth though, I am loving it myself and about the only thing I miss are my charcoal cookers. We are only a five minute bike ride from a beach and I have a delta recumbent trike to carry my gear and I'm getting back into fishing. The eyes are at the stage where I don't drive much any more . . . still legal with the license but eye surgery didn't go as planned. I will drop by and contribute if there is anything constructive I can add to a discussion. Thanks again to all those who remember . . . and yair, I feel humbled by your kind comments. Stay safe in this strange old world of ours and living now in ordered civilization I gotta go and walk the dog.

  45. #45Ct Farmer2020-09-16 17:13

    Welcome back!

  46. #46Welder Dave2020-09-16 17:50

    And the fans went crazy.

  47. #47DMiller2020-09-16 18:22

    Welcome Home Scrub!!

  48. #48digger242j2020-09-16 18:34

    So very nice to hear from you again, Scrub. I'm not sure why you would have had to change your user name, but I can do things in the Admin Control Panel to user accounts, so if you'd like your old one back, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help.

  49. #49sled dog2020-09-16 18:59

    I have missed you old Friend....

  50. #50Tinkerer2020-09-16 19:26

    Welcome back scrubpuller !! Me thinks Digger is going to fix you up with your proper username. I pray that your eye-site holds fast and your health problems heal. I spent a lot of time looking for you. It was certainly time well spent to. If I remember correctly weren't you in the early stages of writing a book ?

  51. #51farmerlund2020-09-16 20:42

    Nice to hear you are doing well. Welcome back Scrub. Yair.

  52. #52Tarhe Driver2020-09-16 21:15

    Welcome back, from Savannah, GA, U.S. This lurker has missed you, Scrub.

  53. #53Bumpsteer2020-09-16 21:32

    Good to have you back Scrub! Ed

  54. #54Steve Frazier2020-09-16 22:10

    Welcome back! If you're having trouble logging in to your old account we can help you with that and you can pick up where you left off. Let any one of the moderators know and we'll get it done.

  55. #55JPV2020-09-16 22:36

    Glad you are back and great to hear you're doing well, I enjoyed all your stories and insights from another side of the world that I don't know if I will ever see. The internet is an impersonal place but I think that is what makes this forum stand out in my opinion. When the world seems like it is going crazy this place isn't.

  56. #56old-iron-habit2020-09-16 23:10

    Welcome back Scrub. We all missed you. Looking forward to hearing more stories. Must be an "Allis Chalmers" one out there somewhere.

  57. #57AusDave2020-09-16 23:28

    Good to see you’re back Scrub/Allis Just feel free to comment or write about anything. As a literate bushie you’ve got a great writing style which makes for excellent reading whatever the subject.

  58. #58mitch5042020-09-17 13:35

    Hey Scrub, great to see you! I thought about you last week when I got this month's "Timber Harvesting" magazine. They had an article about a company in Alabama trying to clean up thousands of acres of their timberlands that were wiped out by a hurricane. They brought a consultant from Australia who set them up to chain it. Would have been a good job for you! I wonder if that has ever been done in the US before? http://www.timberharvesting.com/magazine-issue/september-october-2020/

  59. #59.RC.2020-09-17 16:40

    Scrub had to change his name as scrub pulling is very not politically correct and now he is gentrified living in civilisation.

  60. #60ih1002020-09-21 16:51

    Well I’m not going to start calling him Alice. Welcome back, Sport.

  61. #61DB22020-09-21 20:08

    Yair... Good to hear you’re doing well. Cheers

  62. #62digger242j2020-09-24 20:51

    You can call him Alice anyway, if you like, but I pounded on the Admin Control Panel with a big enough hammer, and Scrub Puller should be feeling like his old self.

  63. #63Welder Dave2020-09-25 00:29

    Go ask Alice when she's 10 feet tall.

  64. #64.RC.2020-09-25 02:11

    I think drugs were involved when both the book and the song you are referring to were written.

  65. #65Welder Dave2020-09-25 02:41

    Just responding tongue and cheek to Digger's post. Scrub was actually Allis as in Mr. Chalmers. When you have a big following you get to be called Mr.

  66. #66Willie B2021-04-15 19:45

    Gee, reviewing old posts, I never wanted to invade. His posts were interesting. I envision a time when millions of acres were being "cleared" for cattle grazing. This man had stories! I promise, I won't invade your privacy. I'm in Vermont, Only after my son moved there did I venture west of Granville NY (14 miles)

  67. #67Queenslander2021-04-15 22:52

    Many thousand head of cattle are enjoying the fruits of his labour to this day. The Brigalow and vine scrub of central and southern Qld., in its natural state, is completely worthless for grazing any sort of livestock. But, once cleared, would rival some of the best cattle country around the world...given enough rain.