Got an e-mail sent through heavy equipment forums that seems to be a trojan or virus, or something. Any way they use bad , almost nigerian type english to try to get you to open a link for a registry scan and try a new registry cleaner. Does anyone know anything about this. Couldn't get a message to support yet.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I Haven't had any email sent to me, but I always advise having robust anti-virus installed on computers it's even available for smart phones nowadays. With all the sleazebuckets and miscreants in this world it's better to be safe rather than sorry.
I've notified the tech. Thanks. Anybody else seeing this?
It's impossible to know what it really was without seeing it. Most of the time these things are just spoofed emails. If a hacker had really gotten into the database to access emails, everyone would have gotten the spam and everyone would be complaining. Not that it's all good, but usually there isn't much we can do about spam. What I've seen most often is if you've ever posted your email address, they use a program which collects email addresses of a website, then spoofs the email so it looks like it's from us but really isn't.
Carogator PM sent.
Thanks guys. I didn't get caught, I only use Registry Mechanic and I realized this was fishy right off.
Turns out this was a notification email. When someone replies to a thread, and you have that thread in your subscriptions, the forum software sends out a notification email to you (if you have it set to send instant notification emails). The moderators get to the spam posts really quickly, but not quick enough to prevent the instant email notifications going out. Since the notification emails contain the content of the post, it does give the appearance of HEF sending out spam. you can adjust your notification settings at the following page: and your subscriptions at:
Thanks, Peter. You guys should all know, that while the Mods are sort of equivalent to operators, Peter is the guy who turns the wrenches. When the nuts and bolts part of the forum is running smoothly, as it most often is, Peter's the guy who deserves the credit. :notworthy (Cause when it starts making funny noises and smoking, he's the one who has to answer the phone...)
Thanks Peter your efforts are appreciated......................