Hey guys, I asked this as part of another post over on the attachments forum. Do any of you have experience with buying a warranty for a used tracked machine? I am buying a 2006 Takeuchi TL150C with 3200 hrs on it from United Rentals. Despite the high hours, I feel confident in the maintance history of the machine given UR's maintanence schedule for their rental equipment. They are offering me a 6-month, 12 month, or 24 month United Guard for $1300, $2200, and $3500 respectively. Looking at the list of covered items, it seems like most all of the components of the machine are covered. I know this is like buying a warranty for a new or used car at a dealership. Its basically insurance. Sometimes it pays and sometimes it doesnt. Any thoughts or experience that you guys can share with me? I thought I would ask all of you who have experience buying used machines like these. Thanks! James R.
TK's are generally pretty good units but 3200 rental hours is a lot of wear and tear. Some kind of insurance may not be a bad idea.
if you pay for the 24 month extended warranty, you'll be glad you did if a drive motor or pump goes out... just read the fine print of the warranty, make sure it doesnt exclude any major components like pumps, drive motors, hyd acuators ect. :drinkup
James, When I bought the TL230 last month, I could have purchased a factory extended warranty. Still can up to Sept 28, 2014. I chose to buy another attachment right now with those funds and will buy the 5yr/5000 hr drive train/hydraulics warranty prior to the above date. Obviously, I am in a different position, as my machine is still under the factory warranty. The sales guy did tell me I could purchase an aftermarket warranty as well at anytime. The machine may need to be inspected by a Tak dealer, though. If you'd like, I will call him and find out the details on the aftermarket warranty and get back to you. I am a big believer in this "insurance", as it has always paid off in my experience. I'd definitely get the 2 yr warranty. Make sure it is transferrable. I have sold many a vehicle with a year left on the warranty and gotten the full price of the warranty back vs. what the buyer could have bought the same vehicle from a competing seller, whose vehicle didn't have any warranty left.
Thanks guys for your responses. I went and looked at the fact sheet regarding the United Guard warranty program. Unfortunately, Duke, it is not transferable upon selling the machine. I guess that is a negative to the whole thing. On the plus side though, it shows a list of components covered and it appears that major items like hydraulic pumps and drive motors are covered. I cringe thinking about spending that kind of money though on top of buying the machine. I realize that one driver motor most likely will cost me just as much as the 24 month warranty, but that doesn't make it any easier when it comes to writing the check now
As above - like any other insurance policy read the small print because if there's any way of wheedling out of a claim insurance companies will know a million and one ways to do it.