There seems to be alot of interest the the Washington yarders and log loaders, so here's a thread devoted just to/for them. Share your pictures, your stries, or just sit back and enjoy ours if you like! I suppose I'll have to start, so here goes...............
Last days of a Washington TL-6. This machine was purchased NEW in 1968 by St Regis at Mineral Washington. It was scrapped in Haines, Alaska in 2008 at the old Schnabel Lutack Inlet mill. This particular machine is on the 3-axle version carrier, and has electric guyline drums on the gantry. I saw it work in both Washingon and Alaska.
Last days of a Washington TL-6, con't. I took these pics the summer of 2008. 2 days later she was gone.........
Washingtom Model 78, Small Swing Yarder Built from 1974 through 1980 I think there were 35 or so of these built. Probably less than 15 of them working today. Features were running skyline, 2 guylines, 360 degree swing. Yarding distance was limited to about 1,000 feet.
Once again, very nice pictures. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find some pictures from my logging days.
Really awesome pictures, bro. You have seen a lot of cool stuff. Thanks for posting.
I live in North Central Washington.You still see some ofthese old girls parked on the brush here and there.Next time I see one,it will need a closer look!Please keep the Pics a commin!Where were they built?
Some old literature pics for sled-mounted yarding hiosts. And pics from Malaysia of sled yarders.
Washington 208 with 110' Tower Different views of them- AND with a TL15 loading.
sad to see those old rigs get cut up. I work for the company that did the mill scrap job in haines.
I was up there several times during the scrapping. Got some great pics of the RF Hitachi's that were there. I suppose there's a place on the forum here for those pics too..........Scrap and Demo?
Washington Iron employed a bunch of mechanics over the years and I was fortunate to have worked with a few of them. Back then you had to be pretty good working on all the components and subsystems that made those things work. Engines, torque converters, gear trains, hydraulics and welding were all required in normal work. Throw in the rigging and setup that goes with operating these monsters and you had wrenches that could pretty well go anywhere. Many filtered out through the other dealer networks when Washington quit business. I don't remember hearing any of the guys I worked with over the years make an excuse why something couldn't get done. They figured out the problem and found a way to fix it. Thanks for the photos. Now I know a little more of what they were talking about in some of the stories they told.
Nice photos really brings back the memories for sure. Heres a pict of our first 78 we ran a Danabo slack line carriage on it and if you could keep it running it was a real log getter out to about 700'. somewhere i have some of our very 1st yarder a skagit SJ4RT with a 4-71 in it i'll see if i can round up
New to the forum and saw this thread on the Washington Iron Works. These old yarders were the Cadilac of the big iron. Theres' a company near my home here in western WA. that uses them in their business of long line drag- line digging. They rebuild, update, setup and train the operator in the yarders use. Heres a link to their website. Fred http://www.ramseycoinc.com/Photos.htm
Hey Iron Art-- Ramsey has a couple of 217 Slackline Washington's there on Hamilton Rd. It would sure be neat if you could take some pics and post them. You must live there in Chehalis?
Big Iron- Those are great pics of the 78! Who owned this machine, and where was it?
Contract Logger. Yes the Ramsey family are friends and I do live near them. They do have many yarders in their equipment yard, Madills and Washingtons. I will get some pics on a nice day and post them. Fred Heres a pic of my latest project
OMG- this brings back memories! There is ONE Madill 046 rubber mount here in Alaska- long dead and with alder trees growing right up through it. (It was Weyerhaeuser Longview yarder #251 at Camp Baker new). This is incredible. You know, there are thoseof us who would buy things like this, should you choose to build and sell these, LOL. I love that every guyline drum is plumbed, what are you using for hose? The tires and wheels look like Smith-Miller. I will soon start a Madill thread, OR you could start one! This little baby right here would be a great starter to that thread. Have you ever rigged her up?
You know, Madill built the '075 Cable Loader', which would look perfect sitting next to this. Or a TL6 Washington. Or an LS98 Link-Belt. Or......................... With your skill and talent the possibilities truly are endless.....
That machine was owned by myself and my partner in the mid 70,s. It was our 3rd and final yarder. We bought the machine used from Ross Equipment in Eugene, OR. The photos are behind Devils Lake on the OR coast (East about 2 miles from what is now Lincoln City back then it would have been Oceanlake, OR). I memory serves me it was powered by the 555 Cummins V-8, which like most V series diesels should have been used as a boat anchor. Spent more time getting repaired than working!!! That machine had a 3rd guyline from the factory. If you have looked under forestry operations you'll see some great pics i took while driving for W.E. Mcfarland of Ken Fallons 208 in big spruce behind Neskowin, OR. What a horse that machine was. Anyway keep em coming I love to see them!
WAY Off Topic, But I Cannot Think Straight After Iron Art Posted That 046! A few Madill 075 Pics, for those who havens seen one.
I had been looking at the HEF for a couple of weeks, but nothing really great as far as logging. Then you posted those pics, so I joined! So thank YOU, and I know right where Devils Lake is. Been to Ken F's house there several times over the last 10 years or so. He still logs in there occasionally too, doesnt he? I rode in there one day (in the blue KW lowbed with the old man himself) in 2006 when he has a TSY255 and shovel side in there.
Contract Logger, Yes the wheels are Smith- Miller. It was difficult to find approprite tires and wheels of the right size to fit the scale. Actually the tires determined the scale of the yarder, 1/20. Those Madills had 14/24s which are 50 inchs tall. The Hyd lines are #14 wire with the plastic coating removed and the copper wire removed. Yes I do plan on selling this yarder but thats not the objective in sharing it here. I have built other models but mostly representing old farming equipment. My models are all steel. I have another madill,046 on a tank carrier, and a American hyd shovel, (the old block steer type.) Fred
OK, How soon can you post pics of the others? PS- I wasnt accusing you of selling, I was more like curious to purchase!!! A. Have you decided on a price, B is it sold, and C, will you build commissioned items? I can hardly stand it! And I probably cannot afford them anyway, LOL!
Washington 108 Grapple Yarder, Longview Wa, 1970 Weyerhaeuser had a bunch of these 108's, but not many were built on the crawler- most were 4-axle rubber mounted. Anyway, they logged at night with them, as did several other big outfits. This machine died on Mt St Helens, and is currently underwater in Castle Lake, near the mountain.
PS-today I bought a scanner and this is my second scan with it off a photograph. Once I figure all this out, I'll be able to show you some great stuff, such as this, I hope.
Seeing that picture reminded me of a story told to me by a guy I worked with one time. He worked for Weyerhauser in the mid 80's, I'm not sure if he said in Oregon or Washington, but it was at night under a swing yarder. He was the hook tender. Anyway, we said the shadows that the lights would throw out into the brush caused many a choker setter to take off running for their lives, thinking the world was falling down on them. Their turn over rate was kinda high on the brush crews because of it! I cant imangine why!
Here is a great site with a lot of scanner tips that will probably answer any questions that you may have along the way.Your scans look good.Ron G http://www.scantips.com/
I remember those 108s logging at night along the 2500 line near Soda Springs. There is another tracked piece of logging equiptment just south west of Castle lake in the bottom of a draw. I don't know what it is but its upside down and hard to tell what it may be. Should be grown up around it by now, the blast zone is changing pretty fast. Fred
This photo was taken on the 2500, east of Baker- this is one of those machines you saw. The yarder in Castle Canyon is a Skagit GT-5, another night logger, larger than a 108 but similar. It was Weyerhaeuser #223, and is also close now to being underwater. the grapples had water lapping against them when I was last there in 1994. There is also a D8 tail cat, and a fire truck still on that job. This yarder was on a spur below that machine at blast time and is underwater now, along with its tailcat and a 30-B shovel. At some point I will get those pics posted.
'Logger what was the reason for the night logging?
Contract Logger, Interesting on the Castle Lake blast zone. I didn't realize that there were more equipment in the canyon that is now a lake. The lake is at a level that should never get any higher so the above water equiptment will aways be there for the energetic to view. Thanks for the rundown. Fred
EGS- Night logging was to get the most logs they could, as fast as they could. Worked those things around the clock, 3 8-hour shifts, for awhile. Just yard and deck, loaders and trucks would come in and load out later on-- weeks later. Didnt last, probably just too dangerous. Iron Art- There is alot of equipment on that old mountain yet. A friend of mine has been deer hunting in the alders along the N Toutle- below Coal Banks and the upper Tower Road area. He says there are several Kenworth log trucks that the erosion has uncovered in there the last few years. Dont doubt that a bit. Upside down and twisted in the banks of the river- came from Camp Baker no doubt. Still missing alot of logging equipment and gear up there.
Facory Advertisements for the Washington 108 'Skylok" The crawler mounted Weyerhaeuser rig is set up for night logging, and is likely the same unit we saw in the photograph. Someone told me once they only built 4 or 5 on tracks, dont know if that is true or not.
Washington Trackloader Ad from the early 1950's.
Lost Washington 208. Scanned Pics On the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State there is alot of old rusting iron, hidden from sight, mostly behind gates or locked away otherwise. This Washington 208 yarder is owned by a gentleman who ran a ceder shake mill, just off Hwy 101, at an undisclosed location between Hoquiam and Forks. When his mill operation shut down in the mid 1980's, he didnt have the heart to sell the iron off. In one of the outbuildings that used to house part of the mill, this 208 rests dry and at peace from the elements some 20 years later. When I am in the neighborhood, I like to stop in and see her, but its been several years now. He bought her brand new in 71' and says this is where she will stay, right here, safe from the scrappers torches.
I thought that Washington was gone from that building. We were out to Forks looking for some Madill parts and stopped by and looked the 208 over. Been some time ago. Fred
Boy, I hope it isnt gone. Could be, I was last there I think in 2002. Was neat to see it there.
I would love to see the blast zone pics.I did some hydroseeding around the Headquarters camp years ago,There was iron all over the place.This was about'91 or so.
I posted a few blast zone pics in the dozers category. Thread is titled 'this is for those who hate dozers' I think. Check em' out.
This is Camp Baker yarder #223 in 1970, night logging. It is a Skagit GT5C and weighs around 215,000 lbs. She is, as I type this in 2010, laying on her side in Castle Canyon, just above waterline. I last hiked down to it from the 3000 line with a friend in 1995. I'll round up some pics and post them in a month or so.
Love the look of these yarders. Night logging would of been one hell of a ride.
Trakloader magazine ad fom 1954.
Found some old magazine clippings from Alaska Loggers in 1962, pretty cool. Tanks were cheap and used for everything in those days.
Balloon Logging Yarder. Washington designed and built several machines over the years for the purpose of logging with balloons. It never really 'took off', and the idea faded as helicopters became more efficient and available.
Neat old 1964 Loggers World scan regarding the Washington yarder.
Larry Peterson owned this yarder but sold it a couple years ago when scrap prices were high. I think it fell to the torch. What a shame. It was located just north of Amanda Park. Gone now so you missed it. I'm not sure when he bought it but I don't believe it was in 71. I was logging on Raft River ridge in the early 80s. They moved into a unit just about the time we left and they had a two donkey slackline at the time so I think he bought it after that.
Boy, I sure hope you are wrong about the torch. Sounds like I'm wrong about everything else, lol. Used to be alot of gear right there at Amanda Park. I had a chser one time whose uncle was from there- Dan Metcalf I think was the name. Hell of a worker he was. Stanley Metcalf maybe? was his unce..... Anyway, either Peterson ran more thanone side or I'm all confused on this. Probably the latter......I remember a 30-B there too but wasnt smart enough to take a picture. I swear some days I must be getting alzheimers........
I was talking to a guy today that seems to know everything that happens around here and he said the hoist went for a gravel dredge but they cut the tube up. It might be the one in a Roglin pit south of the freeway between Montesano and Elma. I put a longslpice in the mainline for them and didn't make the connection where it had come from . They mounted a set of tracks crosswise so it could walk parrallel to the pit and it has a goofy looking A-frame on it. If I get down that way I'll try to take a picture.
Hey- I have seen that machine. I think it has Cat 245 tracks, counterweight, etc. on it also. I think I took pics of it, but wouldnt even have connected the dots either.
Washington 137W Slackline Self-Propelled This is one of my favorite Washinton yarders- only a couple were built. The hoist is a standard 137W slackline- great yarder with water brakes and 1 3/8" skyline. Most had both tag and straw drums- awesome for rig-ups. This one has 2 planetary drive axles in the rear and hydraulic steer axles up front fo running around in the woods. Tower is 90' and has 8 guylines.
Moving Made Easy! To move this rig, the front axles were un-pinned and un-bolted ant the hydraulic lines were uncoupled. The axles were pulled out and a king-pin was exposed, welded right there in place. Just back your lowbed tractor under and head down the highway.
Washington 137W Trailer Mounted Here's a standard run-of the-mill 137W on the regular common trailer mount. This one was purchased brand new by PLS at Randle, Wash, but was eventuallysold and when I took these pics in 1991 it was owned by Bill Bremmeyer out of Ravensdale, Wash. The air pusher axle was added new for PLS (at rear without tires on it).
Here's a Washington 137W belonging to Fred B. Moe Logging of Chehalis, Wa. In the one pic we can also see a 127W. Pics taken at Chehalis in 1990. Moe ran a large yarder fleet, mostly Skagit machines.
Washington 137W on a Skagit T-100 Trlr Mount Just for kicks I thought I would throw this pic of a 137W hoist bolted to a Skagit T-100 Trailer/Tower with 7 guylines. Pic taken in 1994 at Chehalis at the Ramsey yard. A decent mechanic can always mate two different machines together like this.
I worked for four different companies on the same 127. I could never decide if it was following me around or I was following it around. I was only around one 137 ever but I can't say I thought to highly of the fairlead set up they had designed. Needed a bit more seperation between the mainline and skidding fairleads. Almost had to run a dutchman on a guyline to keep the lines from wrapping up.
Awesome pictures Contract Logger! I have visited the Ramsey's a few times over the last couple of years and taken a bunch of pictures. If you go to flickr and search for either my user name JeremyM70 or JeremyM70's Chehalis, WA logging equipment you should find them. They are great folks to talk to.
Don't have a clue what model this is??? on the cab it says Miller Shingle Granite Falls this pic was taken at Squamish BC I think this is a 108 pic taken at Kimsqit
That Miller Shingle machine is a Washington Model 88. It was one of the first 4 built- and maybe the first one even- I only know that because it was featured in all of Washingtons ads and Model 88 brochures for a couple of years. I'll round one up and post it. Miller traded that rig in on a new Thunderbird TSY-255 in the 90's and I always wondered where the 88 went. Mystery solved thanks to Murk100 now. I have seen a thousand 108's or more and never ever get tired of looking at them! Thanks for the post. Now get back to work on your Terex rock truck restoration there. It looks like you wont have it done for the truck show next month if you stay distracted here on the HEF, lol. What is that truck anyway? Some were used to haul logs even.
I took that pic about 15 yrs ago the Wash 88 was owned by Tripple C Logging Squamish they must have bought it from Ross?? they logged with it around Nelson BC and then moved it to Squamish I don't know if they worked it in that area. I ran their 7280 for a couple of yrs and never saw it move. I would think it has been scrapped along with the Terex:beatsme The 108 was owned by Unicon Logging they also had a TL-6 and a Sparmatic 120Ft. all working at Kimsquit the head of Dean Channel in the central coast BC 1988 again I was running a 7280 owned by Malibu Logging.
Don't suppose you have pics of the Sparmatic?? They're harder to find than crows teeth. I was going to start a VIEW, Hayes-Lawrence thread, but I wonder if it would be worthwhile. I have only a couple of pics.
I have some Sparmatic Pics. I'll see if I can find them. There werent alot that made it to the States. Roseburg Lumber had some, and Crown Z had a few. Mike Walch at Ranier Rigging has several of them.
Sorry not me.. I might have some on vid.they had one in Cyper R. for a dump machine..
There weren't that many of them built, so pics are a bit scarce. They had issues with the operators setting them up wrong. If the jacks were left in the float position when raising the pipe, they would fall over. If they left them in the locked position when yarding, the jack on the pull side would punch through the road. Also, the operators didn't like having to stand up to drive them down the road. Otherwise, they tell me they were a great machine, and a Helluva lot easier to move around than a Madill.
188? Terrace, BC
Must be lots of stuff parked in the bush around there, not as much logging as there used to be. Any TL-6's?
Looks Like a Washington Machine...... Hard to get a good picture of it, but it looks like it was a Washington.
Here's a couple of 188's Pictures stolen from list of equipment, Murphys auction in Klamath, CA, february 23. I tried a search for Pacific mfg and found out they where purchased by Modern Machinery, so then MM has the rights to the product lines from Washington, Berger, Skagit, and Pacific. Also.
Washington yarders at Ramsey Equipment in Chehalis, WA
Washington 217D at Ramsey Equipment in Chehalis, WA
Washington 78A We just finished replacing the Vane Motor on our 78A today, and we will be up and grappleyarding with it tomorrow morning. The 78A has a hydraulic interlock and the 78-40 in your picture had a big gearcase (the big lump behind the strawdrum) and motor to control the interlock. We also had a 78-40 at one time as well and have actually just purchased it back as a parts machine for our 78A (after going through three other owners)! These are great little machines. One piece highway move, and they can pull some awfully big timber with a crew running them that has a little finesse and savvy. I love the look on people's faces when we tell them the age of the machine (born in 1976, serial no. 2054)! They can still move logs every day on some pretty rugged ground. As soon as I am allowed to I will post some pictures of our little girl in action. Really enjoying these equipment threads, I have seen a lot of machines I recognize from my years growing up in the Charlottes in M&B's camp in Juskatla.
Arron or Brent? There is a Washington of some type in QC, hasn't moved in a few years. It might be for sale. Your machine is a youngster, our oldest truck up here is a 1968!
Couple pics from 2008-2010 of Washington / Pacific yarders. Pic 1 - 78A working west of Merritt, BC in pine beetle with grapple. Pic 2 - Pacific 1088 working around Tulameen, BC with electric chokers.
Im thinking these are Washington cranes a little confusing Washington Marine Group aswell...... Seapan Harvester 10,000 cu.meter barge and the Tug is the Seaspan King I think these pics work with this thread...
It's Brent. The machine you are talking about is a 188 Washington and I believe it is the one that was working in Rennel Sound. A guy I know from over here in Terrace owns it now. It was originally owned by Main Logging here in Terrace and Robbie bought it off of him, and then sold it to the guy that owns it now.
I don't know if those cranes are actually Washingtons or not (I am tending to think the Washington Marine idea is more likely), but the barge loading and tug pictures are cool. It doesn't matter if it works with the thread does it? Let's face it, we're all on here so we can log the hell out of it in our dreary hours out of the bush
Most of the older barges had Washington cranes, including the Harvester, if I'm not mistaken. The log ships, Haida Monarch and Brave, had electric cranes. Favco?? I think that was the name on them... Washington Marine Group has no connection to Washington Iron Works, but the cranes said "Washington" on them long before WMG took over the whole coast.
New Zealand 137W Hey we brought a 137 trailer mount into New Zealand in 1992 and have logged with it every day since and still going strong, I can post some pics if anyone is interested. Having worked with many different Yarders over here it is still my pick we changed the trans to a 5 speed twin disc and that made , lots of power and lots of line speed.
Of course we're interested, post some pics! Do you know where your yarder came from? We may know it over here.
Kiwi Logger 137W I am unsure where it came from I think it is serial no 12002 will have to check I know it went to Ballengers for a clean before it came to NZ this may have been where the twin disc was fitted so some where near there ??
Anybody have an operators manual for a Washington 78A or 78SL? I'm looking to see if there is a manufacturers specified guyline position (degree of separation) for this machine - the local regulator body has been asking...
Post post! I love to see these yarders, pls post!
Kiwi Logger Pics I have dozens of photoes somewhere but cant find them , I will endeavour to take a few snaps over the coming week on my travels around the crews we currently have on the East Coast here two TTY70s , a 171 Madill, TSY 200 , TSY6355 and a 137Washington all are working , there may be a few pics on our web site if anyone is interested www.HarvestPro.co.nz . Attached are a few pics of the 6355 and 137W.
Kiwi- I have only seen one Washinton 137 painted in Thunderbird colors, and I see yours is. Look in the Madill thread on page 2, there is a pic Taken by Dewey Goodell of a Madill 071 on rubber (4-axle), and I think your yarder is the one in the background there. It went through a Ross (Pac-West) auction in Eugene Oregon about 1987, and was painted T-Bird colors there at that time. Also painted this way were some 009 Madills and Skagits for the same auction. See if you can get more pics of her for us!
Kiwi Logger 137W Yep thats our 137W from memory it was brought into New Zealand and we set her up about 1992 and been Logging ever since.
Thanks Kiwi- That's great! I was at that auction and have a few pics, someplace in Washington State in a box in my junk-room! Have the auction brochure too and your yarder is in there! Funny, years later and there's that yarder from across the world! I love this site!
Kiwi Logger 137Washington Was up the coast today so took a few pics, beautiful day sun shining will be changing soon though coming into our winter mud, cold and rain!!!! , the one with the Washington at the top of the big face was all Shotgun-Slackline out to 660meters at futhermost point am not sure what that is in feet, and had 1600m of 1 1/4" swaged skyline out on a Cat D8K. The machine is in pretty good shape for a 34 year old yarder we put a 5 speed twin disc trans and a 3406C 425hp cat in it and it goes real well nice and fast!!!!
New Zealand 137 Washington This is a great site and still trying to work my way around it. Was up the coast today so took a few pics, beautiful day sun shining will be changing soon though coming into our winter mud, cold and rain!!!! , the one with the Washington at the top of the big face was all Shotgun-Slackline out to 660meters at futhermost point am not sure what that is in feet, and had 1600m of 1 1/4" swaged skyline out on a Cat D8K. The machine is in pretty good shape for a 34 year old yarder we put a 5 speed twin disc trans and a 3406C 425hp cat in it and it goes real well nice and fast!!!! I have to go check on our old TY200 on monday just repowered with a new Silver series Detroit at 450hp and rebuilt trans its going really well no smoke and no oil leaks!!!! Pulling big wood just out of Gisborne so will try and remember to take my camera!!
Came across this little baby today. Port Alberni BC Woodfin Log Transport
Nice! Washington Model 88. I cannot remember the last time I saw one in person. Its been at least 10 years. This machine looks clean and straight. Now, a nice hydraulic bottom would be perfect under this.......Oh, and a live boom, lol.
I was thinking you might like it. Whats this make and model, had to take picture through a fence. I like your new Alaska 044, hope shes got a good heater....
This my friend is a Washington Model 78. Lots of these babys around. They were introduced around 72', were affordable, and now are popular with the thinning and salvage guys. I have a bunch of factory pics and brochures I'll scan of them for the thread here. I still like that 88! Those were cool and thay didnt make too many- 12 to 15 I would guess. Washington went bankrupt shortly after the 88 was introduced. It was the last production run machine for the 'Flying W'.
I'm wondering if maybe this is the Miller Shingle 88 I posted page 4 pic 58 this thread????
Interesting that the 88 has Canadian made tracks, called the Canadian Dry Pin (CDP) track. Mostly found on Grizzly tanks and Sexton self propelled guns, not many logging machines got those tracks. The shoes are held together by long pins, you're supposed to put a washer on the end and peen the pin with a hammer. Of course, that never worked, the washer would fall off, and the pin come out. Then they welded the washer after peening, the pins still came out! :Banghead The tank drill with those tracks didn't keep them long, they replaced them with American tracks. :usa
I believe it's 90 degrees.
You guys are truly a wealth of information! I don't know how I ever got by without this site. We need to be taking lots of pics today so when were old and senile and arguing on the HEF in 20 years we will have reference pics to aid our failed memories, and prove each other wrong......
Maybe that's why the HEF has been having issues, it can't contain our vast knowledge! :tong
Washington Model 78 Sales Brochure I have about 5 versions of the brochure for this thing, but this is the latest one, and the only one in color. I can scan the others if you like, but they arent very cool.
More random Washington 78 pictures.
Here's one that looks like it could have come from Canada!
Washington TL-5C Brochure I posted a couple scans off this in the CZ thread, here's the whole thing. Well, both pages of it anyway.
Washington Model 78 and TL-5H These were emailed to me. Yarder is a Model 78, Shovel is a TL-5H Hydraulic, like the drawing on pg 2 of the brochure above. Both look to be new.
Washington 118 Yarder Brochure I posted some 118 pics in the Weyerhaeuser thread and certain individuals were commenting on the left-hand cab. I just ran across some brochures in a box and here is the 118 brochure, along with a pic of the Weyco machine again.
Only once have I physically seen a 118 with the carrier shown above (the 108 style). All but one of the 118's and 188's I've been around had the outriggers between the axles, giving a large axle spread and wheelbase. I have good pics of that one 118 here and will scan them to post soon.
Washington 188 Swing Yarder Brochure The 188 was a bigger-and-better version of the 118. In fact, many (most, maybe all) of the old 118's were converted to 188, as the frames, cab, boom, and gantry were identical. Browsing between the 2 brochures you can see the differences- drum sizes, horsepower, interlock design, etc. Yarding distance, HP, and Interlocking were greatly improved with the 188.
New Washington Model 88 Heres a couple pics of Anderson Logging (Ft Bragg, California) when it was new in the early 80's.
We have a 208 W/ Ramsey bucket . Would like to find a 208 for spare parts. Is there any such thing?
I would contact Ramsey directly, they have a bunch of 208's. http://www.ramseycoinc.com/
We have 3 of those 88 washingtons. 2 run full time and one is a spare. tough ol girls.
not many of them around anymore, we still run them with a running skyline and a Danebo MSP carriage, 3500' of 3/4" haulback 1500' of 3/4" mainlines. Just had the rear main drum out of the one I run, I noticed that the drum wasnt running true and seemed to be moving, turns out i was right, one whole side, of what you could call the spokes was broke out, $15000 later and it's fixed, these fabricated drums are not nearly as strong as the cast ones.
heres a link to a vid of it, I have a number of them on youtube. YouTube - Yarder logging 2010
Thanks for the pics- take and post all you can, this is history in the making, and I'll bet there arent 10 88's left running! That lowbed looks really familiar- is it Lulay's, or possibly Wimer's old rig from Dallas?? I've seen it before someplace down there, we worked a piece for Willamette one year at Black Rock/Valsetz, and there was a fellow who moved us out there with a truck that looked similar. Cant remember his name now......owner-operator.
I take lots of pics. We have 3 of the last ones, 2 run full time and one is a spare. Cant get parts for them anymore so most of the stuff has to be custom machined. But there tough old yarders, dont have major breakdowns very often. The lowboy is Oldham trucking and cranes, out of Springfield Or. We have a longtime relationship with them.
big washingtons CL do you have any pics of a 217 washington ? I believe at one time Gene Rawson had a 317, it might have came from Grisdale, I'm not sure. I know Gene logged some rough ground for weyco with it !! 525
Washington 217's There were several 217's around, and Grisdale got a new one in 73'. I have attached some bad scans of a pic when she was new (with a Washington Trackloader loading). I didn't know Rawson had one (maybe even this one!), but wouldnt be at all surprised. Simpson also had 2 more 217's in California, and Champion International had 2 at Mapleton Oregon. Various contractors also had them, including Young and Morgan (Oregon), and others. He (Rawson) did have a Washington 158 on a big Berger trailer, used to sit at his place there in Buckley. I know that machine was capable of anything they could throw at her, lol. I'll dig up pics for you- I have em' someplace. Meanwhile, the Grisdale 217:
There's a 217D-110 at Ramsey, check out page 5 of the thread for pictures.
Washington 217 Spec Sheet Washington 217 Spec Sheet Though huge in terms of weights and dimensions, the 217 wasnt that big a yarder in terms of line sizes and capacities, as you can see here in the spec sheet. Note the center of the haulback sheave is 115'. I have taken alot of 217 pics over the years; now, to find them and start scanning, sigh.....
Here are some pics of a Washington 217 (one of the Simpson California machines) that was converted in 2005 for dredging/dragline work by the Ramsey boys. The yarder was reconditioned, and the tube shortened down to 70' (telescoped) for dredge work. The object is to keep a lower lead as you want the bucket pulling into the ground- lift is unneccessary except in the out-haul cycle.
Huffman and Wright, Washington 217 Huffman and Wright of Canyonville Oregon has a long history of big timber and big yarders. This Washington 217D logged under thier ownership for many years before being sold into the dredging industry. Morse Brothers aquired the machine and dredged gravel with the machine at Salem and St Helens, Oregon, until the machine was sold to Ramsey around 2002. I believe Ramsey still has the machine, JeremyM70 will know for sure. Here are 3 pics of the machine parked at an old Sort Yard in Oregon around 1990, and a 4th pic taken at Ramsey in 2005. Jeremy has taken pics of this machine that are more recent, more detailed, and just plain better for reference than mine. I believe this is one of the Mapleton Oregon (Champion International) machines.
Ranier Rigging, Washington 217 This Washington 217 belongs to Ranier Rigging (Mike Walch, Auburn Washington) and was purchased for some work in BC. Mike moved the yarder into BC (along with the Berger Super-Snubber and several other big yarders) but the work didnt materialize. The 217 was moved back to Washington State where they have done dredging work with it in various locations. Mike has developed the 'Ranier Skyline Excavators' and has an extensive collection of yarders. He has the 2 largest deisel yarders Washington ever built (Model 12 Flyers), as well as the last Berger ever built (which he bought new and has never logged with). Here are some really bad pics of Mike's 217.
Couple more pics of a Washington 217 parked in NW Oregon in the early 1990's. Dont know the owner or history of the machine, but here it is.
Was still there as of a few months ago I believe. Guess it's time for another trip up there to visit Jim and Larry, always fun to wander around and take pictures up there.
I would like to know much bigger the 217 is compared to the 137, it looks way bigger , our 137 has been a fantastic machine in the 18-19 years that I have worked with it here in N.Z spent a lot of $$ on it over the years but still going strong. We have just brought one of Huffman & Wrights 046s and waiting for it to be shipped out of Portland at this stage, Cant import a Yarder into N.Z with used line on it anymore so once Yarder gets here all new line. When it arrives will post some pics and again when we get it up and pulling some logs!!
Page 8 of this thread, halfway down the page I posted the spec sheet on the 217. I can post the 137W if you like, but no doubt you already know more about the 137W than most of us do. There were also 11 208 SP machines that were stripped and converted to 137W hoists, they made a neat unit, and look alot like the TY-90/208 combination. I'll post pics when I am less frustrated with the HEF. This site has been giving me fits, as I cannot get on most of the time.
Any idea of where in Portland it is? Might be cool to find it and grab some pics before it departs the continent
No I am unsure I believe it is being cleaned at present as it has to be spotless not one drop of gear lube!!!! I feel sorry for the poor bloke who got that job imagine opening those doors and being told it has to be back to paint!! MAF ( Ministry of Ag&Fisheries) here are really strict on importing used equipment I believe if not cleaned properly they can turn it back on the boat with a return to sender tag. I will find where it is at present and post shortly.
Drive buy this baby on my way to work... Wash 88
These pick's are pretty cool, I have to get posting out the way and I'll get pic's of my 127 on here.
I worked on that 88 for Miller Shingle back in the late 80's. Man, these pictures bring back memories. thanks for posting them.
hello, If anyone is interested there is a complete Washington Iron Works TL-6 trakloader manuals catalog on eBay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270666194745
Im on a roll now with the picture posting was easy a few months ago. The 137W was looking a bit sad here we had just had the 3406B that we repowered it with a few years ago rebuilt even had it run up on a dyno, 8 days after it was put in it threw a rod out through the side of the block and had all new big end bolts and nuts?? so these were taken as it is sitting there with heart and lungs removed. Great Yarder it has been my baby for near 20 years can sit in it all day every day but dont get the chance to very often now, I love that big cab when the rigging crew get the D8 stuck you can recline the seat right back and catch up on a little sleep untill they get sorted!!!!
Not sure if had posted these before , there is the pic of the 5 speed Twin disc that works really well lots of line speed and power , and under load at full noise real smooth changing, its great too when you have the skyline out you can slowly reverse the sky down while the carrige is going back .
Washington 137 Another pic of your 137 Kiwi just along from the big slip at Mangatu
That must be about ten years ago? looks like we were using the christy carrige then as well The Washington still had the origional fuel tanks and Cat D343 .
Yes, November 2000.
Does anyone know how many 188 and 118/188 conversions were made Thanks
Hey 30b Do you work for Robinson?
I dont know- I would guess at least 40. Alaska Pulp Corporation in Sitka took 11 new in one delivery up here (1981 or 82), and Weyerhaeuser took 4 in one delivery in 1984 (2 at Springfield Or, 1 at Longview Wa, 1 at Snoqualmie Wa). Of course all these were 118's, but that's almost half of them right there. Several went right into Canada new, and lots of contractors bought just one, as is always the case. There were several guys using them on the East side of Washington and Oregon as well. I think only 2 or 3 were built as 188's from the factory. Most were 118's that became 188's later. Just my 2 cents, but at least 40 and probably not as many as 50. Hope that helps?
No, I work for myself.
That 118/188 is a great yarder. Quick, and reliable. Moving them can suck, but moving sucks anyway so who cares right? Is yours on rubber or tank?
Thanks for the reply Contract Logger. Any idea how many are still working
No idea. Its one of those things- you wonder what the heck happened to them all? I've never heard of any burning or being wrecked, and I've never seen one sitting in the blackberry bushes either. There are at least 5 in Canada now, and probably 10 or 12 working with contractors in the States, but that leave a whole bunch unaccounted for. Maybe they went overseas? It is a mystery. You wonder how many of those Pacific 1188's on the Cat 235 tracks started as 118's on rubber........? May be 4 or 5 more right there.
88/188/1188's I can vouch for one 188 (pictured 1997) and one 1188 in NZ and I think there are others too. There are at least four 88's, two of which came in new.
Beautiful pic of that 188!! The boom has me puzzled- it isnt factory. Gantry is, but the boom is larger and looks more modern. I have never seen one with the open sides.
I can only add that it came second hand via Ross corp.
ooops - hit the 'post' button by mistake. The quote is in reference to the 188 (post 145). The pic is of a 127 in Nelson NZ - has been a very productive yarder and noteworthy for having the same operator in the seat for over twenty years.
Aha, I had just found out it had to be an 127. Very nice machine!
That's a beauty 127W- and It has a really high cab! Fred B. Moe (Chehalis, Washington) had several 127's and one had a raised cab- but not that high! That machine looks great. For the record, Moe had I think 3 127's and a couple 137's, as well as a dozen or more Skagits. Bill Breymmeyer at Ravensdale also had or has a huge fleet of Washington yarders- including 6 or 7 127's, several 137's and 158's & 208's.
Here's a nice looking Washington 127W yarder (hoist) on a Berger trailer with Berger 100' tower. I took this picture in 1988 at the big Crown Zellerbach auction at Rainier Oregon. The machine was later tipped over and parted out. Mike Walch owns what's left of it and it sits with his yarder collection in Washington State.
B&R Logging (of Toledo Washington) logged with several sides for Weyerhaeuser Vail and Murray Pacific at Mineral for many years. They used a pair of Washington 127W's (among other yarders), and here I photographed one of them being moved at Vail in 1996. They were logging in the area of the Skookumchuck Reservior at the time. As you can see, the 127W is on a Skagit T-90 trailer and these combinations were common. Whole works is being pulled by a Cat D7 to a new setting.
Fred B. Moe of Chehalis Washington logged old-growth timber all over the State of Washington for many years including several sides at Randle, several at Raymond/Cosmopolis, and also a large operation up the Queets and Clearwater Rivers North of Quinalt Lake. The Clearwater operation had a complete shop and yard complex and was pretty much self-sufficient there in the middle of nowhere. There were always a bunch of Moe's bigger yarders working there including the 2 Skagit BU-199's and several BU-739's and some Washington 137W's. Here at Moe's Chehalis shop in 1995 is a Washington 127W hoist on a Skagit T-110 Trailer with 8 guylines. Seems a little overkill for the 127W but there it is. That tower will support more wood and line than the little 127 will, that's for sure. Machine had obviously been sitting awhile when I took the pics.
Here's another Fred B. Moe Washington 127W- but this one is on the Washington T90 trailer with 6 guylines and the 90' tower. This was parked at the Chehalis Washington shop in 1995 and it was parked next to a Skagit BU-94. Both machines had just come in from the Raymond area.
Here's a Washington 127W on the Washington-built T90 tank undercarriage, with 6 guyline 90' tower. This machine belonged to Herb Olstedt Logging of Jewell Oregon and Herb logged Mt St Helens salvage blowdown cleanup with it in the early 1980's high above the North Toutle River. These are bad pics taken in 1991 and I'll see what else I can find...
Found some better ones.....
There are a couple of places where Washington yarders go to die. These Washington 127W's are all out of service and being held by someone who still runs 127's and is stocking up on parts machines. He would not approve of me disclosing the location, but I will tell you it's in Western Washington State. He has an extensive collection of dead Washington machines there.......or rather he did. It's been a bit since I visited.
Couple more shots. Sticking with the 127W's for now.
Here's a Washington 127W / T90 Trailer that was parked at the Don Entus shop in Cosmopolis Washington when I took the pics in 1994. It has a factory-installed 7th guyline on it.
This Washigton 127W was mounted on a Skookum/Madill trailer with 90' spar and hadn't worked recently last time I saw it. It is parked in a logger's 'back 40' in Washington State. Kind of a neat combination.
Washington 127W on T90 Washington trailer, pretty much a standard build. This machine was parked at Ravensdale Wa. in 1996 when the picture were taken. Owner was Bremmeyer Log and it had been logging in the Greenwater area.
Washington 127W hoist on a Berger Trailer being parted out. This is the machine at the top of the page shown at the CZ auction. Parked in the 1st pic between a Madill 044 on rubber and a couple of Washington 208's. In the second pic it's parked next to a Washington 137W. In the 3rd its in a yarder scrapyard.
Keep them coming guys I will never tire of looking and reading about them. While I know it is about the machines sometimes I get to looking more at the beautiful mountains and trees in the back ground. Sure enjoying this site, a lot.
127's Great shots of the 127's including the various cab designs/layouts CL . I see what you mean re the cab height on the 127 in my pic. I'm reasonably sure the machine came in new to NZ for the Kaiangoroa Logging Co, a logging division of Tasman/Fletcher Challenge. They had well equipped workshops and it would not supprise me if they had raised it here. 127 on a short move.
TL-6 with modifications This machine now has a strawline drum, and single guyline drum on boom. Enlarged haulback drum with a disc brake. The drum modification required changes to the gantry configuration. And finally a Western gear two speed to move/break things faster. This is a fine training/starter machine and needs a loving home. I don't know who did the updates, but this is truly Logger Art at it's finest. This machine was sold new to Crown Zellerbach Seaside Division.
This is a78 washington that weyco bought new in springfield, I was a contractor and got to load under it the first month it ran on a R&D thinning project near cottage grove. when the month was up they took it in to modify it thinking they could make it better and I got asked to help on that project as well. You might notice the cab looks a little strange. Weyco wanted the engineer to chase his own turns, it raised hydraulically, flip the lever and it would go up and stop automaticaly. what they ended up with was an overgrown Koller, not long after they tried it out they called and we put the original boom and gantry back on. don't know if they ever changed the cab back or where it finally ended up. The 78 was really fast, if I remember it was a78sl one of the last built before the 88's came out. during the first month of the test it was broke down 10 days out of the 20 it could have worked. It still yarded more logs in that month than the gt3 they had rented the previous month and it was never down aday. real quiet too the mechanic said the drums were balanced, real smooth and quiet not like the old skagit.
Look at the size of that landing could be a Walmart parking lot . Haven't worked in a big one in 30 years.
Well we need all that room as having to process and cut to length on site we at times may have up to 20 different cuts, believe it or not that landing will be choaked when they start I will try and get a pic from the same spot next week to show what I mean.
Please do, Is that 20 different sorts ,or just log lengths you have to keep separate? Right now where I am working we have 6 sorts and we do it just on the side of the road . Every thing yarded full length and put in the ditch line for the processor.
075, are they still using the Washington TL up at your neck of the woods? I remember they had a heel boom and pole boom in 1987 when they amalgamated Mahatta River with Port Alice... Mike
Yeah we have to keep the grades (sorts / cuts) seperate. Typically we have up to 3 prune grades, up to 6 saw log grades, multipule export grades, possibly a post and/or a pole grade, and 3 pulp grades. They all have to be seperated as they go to different places and get sold at a different rate. Over where Kiwi Logger is they will get more export grades and over where I am we get more domestic (saw log) grades.
This looks pretty sad......
Richard Watson has trhee of them all long booms at the bundling works, one of them is the last one built I think .Ehahattasat bought new and when they went broke Canfor bought it the Richard bought it of them and coverted it to a long boom
Besides your 075, any other line machines being used or is it mainly hydraulic?
No, I have the only line loader left and I spend a great deal of time just snokeling
Some 188's at Vancouver Island First one parked just down at the China Creek sawmill (between Cameron and Franklin). Looks like it's in good condition. In the background is also Danes Challenger D154.
Next one in Kelsey Bay 188 in Kelsey Bay
more 188 Kelsey Bay... ...con't...
188 in Sayward This one is being repaired and are supposed to be logging in not to long time, after what I was told. In addition it should be two in Eve River together with a lot of 6280 and 7280's. I didn't go there. Serial seems to be 25168, or maybe it is 188 nbr 25???
These looks a little more alive than yours, Trakloader, hope it makes you happy!
Washington TL 20 Trakloader Photo was from aTrakloader manual dated 1948
Skadill, that was likely the first Trakloader built. The records that I have seen don't even begin until 1950, and don't mention a TL-20. They begin with a single TL-21, then it's all TL-15's. Judging by the crude appearance of the turntable, and the bunkhouse windows on the side, I'd guess that the TL-20 was a working prototype. Very interesting.
075, the last TL-6 was #1217, sold to International Paper in 1978. The last one sold in Canada was #6072, to Ehattesaht Co-Operative, Zeballos, BC 09-23-74. 2nd. to last in BC was #5979, Elk River Timber, CR, BC on 09-26-73. I'd say sales were getting a little slow in BC!
I think thats the one he has on the barge, I rememeber when it came to Ehatteshat I was down there fishing and it was sitting on the barge ramp ,so I tied up and had a look at it nice machine back then when it was new,
It's pretty interesting, going through them old lists. The first TL-6 sold in BC appears to be #5170, sold to Columbia Cellulose, 04-04-57. It was the 10th. TL-6 built. The first one on the Island didn't arrive until 1958. #5198 went to MacMillan & Bloedel Northwest Bay, 10-01-58. It was also the first one to have Rolls Royce power. M&B next got two at Franklin River in 1959 ,L-51, #5208 and L-? 5212, each with consecutively numbered RR engines, then one at Sproat Lake(L-89), and another at Copper Canyon. #5223 (L-91) went to Menzies Bay, 02-18-60, and was the last Trakloader built with a RR engine. I guess the TL-6 was a pretty expensive machine, it seems that mostly big companies bought them. Someone told me that the TL-6 cost almost twice as much as a 7220. I'm also surprised at the number of TL-15's sold in BC, they were everywhere. Wonder if any survived.
Kiwi 78 This machine has recently come back up for sale. It is one of two that I know of down here. The other is a red Cummins powered machine which has recently arrived from the Tasman district in the south Wairarapa. This green machine sat at GGH Rotorua for a number of years before heading to Northland. It is Cat V8 powered.
Rayonier up here had Lots of Tl6's and several TL15"s one I ran in Holberg that was on tracks and was pretty dated by the time I ran it in 73. Tahisis Co. bought a Tl5 in 72 for Zeballos I ran it for 6 months it was not a bad machine but the hydraulic swing was lacking power,and the mechanics used to like to go out at night and pretend they were operators but always put the trans in fwd and back spooled the lines. Holberg also had an TL5 that was a spare loader untill it ran away coming down camp hill and was wrecked.
First Trakloader in BC was a TL-15, #4938 BCFP Caycuse, BC 10-26-50 Unit #70. 13th. TL-15 built. It is the one pictured in Wilmer Gold's logging book, cherry picking from the back of a lowbed. It was still there in 1976.
There seem to have been only a handful of TL-5's in BC. One of the very first Trakloaders, a TL-21, #4920 ended up with McDonald Cedar Products, Port McNeill BC. It is listed as still being there as of 03-15-76.
78SL for sale in Chehailis Not attempting to disrupting the tl discussion but as a follow up to Furpo; this machine is currently for sale. Smelled of paint...
More 78SL some more pic's of this 78SL
Washington Trakloader Most of a TL6?Taken a couple days ago.It has sat for at least 25 years here and came from Pemberton,B.C. area before.Maybe Clint knows something of its life.I have a 4 minute walk through of it for youtube ready in the next while as well to post there.
The cockpit of that 78 brings back memories. I spent quite a while staring out through the bars of one of those. What is the blue fairlead beside the guyline drums? Is that a third guyline or does it serve some other purpose? You have to run three guylines in Washington and Oregon, don't you?
Another 78SL for sale Washington 78SL for sale in Merritt, BC - ex Canfor Harrison Mills machine.
Trakloader Very nice looking trakloader at Ramseys
During my years logging out of Klamath, California I worked on two Washington TL15 trackloaders. The first one was mostly original. The company I believe bought it new, not sure what year.....51-52 rings a bell. I know it had a Cummins.....believe it was a 220. By the timie I was with the company She was used strickly for yarding corners for the towers and along creeks. She wasn't very fast but it yarded some massive Old Growth Redwood and Fir. It was mounted on chain driven tracks and had a huge house on it for a cab. The second TL15 was mounted on a Washington 3 axle (also chain driven) carrier. It had four outriggers, a 40 or so foot straight boom, a skyline drum and two guyline drums. I'm not positive but it may have been modified by Myrmo & Sons. It was powered by a 671 Jimmy. It had the coolest sound, when you were pulling hard it sounded like a can of Bees...I can still hear her. I don't know what happened to her, she was gone when the big auction came last year........They were pound for pound the toughest yarder I've ever been around..........
SPMiller, that is a Northwest, possibly a Model 7. Redwood Climber, if you tell me what company you worked for, I could probably look up the TL-15
Cool painting of Washington (?) yarder All yarders in the bush, but I found a cool painting at Hopke's Logging in Tillamook, Oregon. I think its a Washington 208?
We just brought a new house and while moving I found a box of old photoes that I thought were long gone, here we were rigging the 137 around 1994-1995 I guess and the bottom Lug on the raising cylinder broke letting the tower go foward, lucky the two back guys were up high on deadmen and they caught it, one started pulling out so we parked the shovel on it. If any of you have rigged one you will know that if that tower starts going foward you have to jump quickly as you stand in the box in front of the tower as that is where the guy and jack levers are. Scared the hell out of me and the operator I have never seen a crew run so fast before. I ended up welding some heavy steel vertical behind the tower cradle and used the Haulback behind the Yarder and the two back guys to pull it back up then we started logging again a few days later while a new cylinder was being made.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!! That might be a little too much forward inclination.....lol. Seriously, I have never seen a telescoped tower that far over that didn't hit the ground. It takes quick thinking when things go wrong like that. If you work around towers long enough doing it long enough, it can and does happen. I'm sure the repairs on the raising cylinder were not cheap, but saving the tower probably saved you weeks of downtime & lots of money. It is amazing how a good crew can pull together to save the old girl. Do we have a thread for "Close Calls? " TorkelH shared his near rollover in the "Yarders in Norway" thread........Great job! Great pictures! That's a " 5 star post" in my book! Thank you!
Fantastic pic's Kiwi logger and a great deal of luck no one got hurt. I can't imagine that the guys/stumps didn't break or snap off!
Here's the accident thread .........
I saw a 158 spar go over. We were across the draw rigging up a 137 when it happened. It was in the mid 80's and I was working at Miller Shingle Company, up Coal Creek out of Granite Falls Washington. We were all busy pulling notching guyline stumps and pulling haywire and such when we heard this loud clang and looked over to see a cloud of dust and the 158's tower bent over the hill off the landing. We we had a lot of big old fir on that show and she got a hard pull. One back quarter guy pulled the stump and the other one stripped the notch and the tube went over in lead with the pull. No one was hurt luckily. Well, the hook tender had a bruise ego, as he was the one who had picked the stumps and notched them.
Washington 127 S/N 5997 at Elma WA Found this 127 sitting alongside Hwy 12 in Elma, WA. Not sure if it is being used or not? Processor next door looks like it got a little toasty.
Wet Washington TL5 ? Trakloader.Got dewatered today ready for the metal yard tomorrow.last picture this one will have ever posed for.
That yarder has been sitting there atleast 8 years or so. Did you go to the espresso stand at the pacific pride station the next driveway down...??? *HUBBA HUBBA*
I think it is a TL6 , TL5's cabs were on left hand side, if I am not mistaken.
Whats the story on this baby, how did she end up in the Lake? Would have been a good boom anchor.......
There will be full vids on my YT channel soon ,the other got torched down to the same condition.Its connected to the Fraser River and is spring run off stil,l with 8 foot or so higher water levels currently than normal
Thanks for the info Haulback, nope didn't make it to the coffee stand. Was another Washington set up in the gravel pit behind it but I didn't get too close. Was another one further west a few miles in another gravel pit across from the old nuclear plant.
The million dollar question is, did you stop at the little ice cream stand in Monte and grab a cone? That place was there when I was growing up, back in the Sixties. We used to stop by there on our way back from Lake Sylvia. Last time I was there was in '02, and the ice cream was still great.
The other Washington that's set up in the gravel pit is an old Washington 158. The yarder set up in the pit right off Highway 12 is a Berger Marc III, I do believe. It hasn't worked in a few years.
I trust that you're referring to Gene's Stop & Go. It was owned, and is named after, the late Gene Braun - a good friend of my families. Gene's was always a treat when I was a kid back in the 70's and 80's and yes, it was still going strong the last time I checked.
Nope don't know all the local hangouts, next time I head that way guess I'll stop for espresso in Elma in the morning and ice cream in Montesano on the way home Thanks for the ID's on the gravel yarders, I thought I took a picture of the one in Elma but can't seem to find it at the moment.
We should all get together some saturday am for breakfast and a yarder hunting excursion.
Sounds good, we can start at Ramsey's and end at McPaul, though it looks like his yard is getting a little thin lately.
Ya, Bill scrapped most of his stuff a few years back as he was getting big $$ fines monthly for stormwater runoff. It was all BS but he said instead of giving them anymore of his money he would just scrap it out. Sad that the government drove that to happening.
The crew was moving the 137 two weeks ago and the road collapsed and away she went as the back end went it ripped the top straight off the dolly, lucky the crew got her stabilized and a week later got her out, hopefully get her onto new job tomorrow and all rigged up. It had been raining pretty heavy and it just sunk when it slid over the bank, the brake man had to change his pants when it went as he was standing in there next to the engine working the brake lever.
Lucky it wasn't worse that it was. Wet and mud can make moving equipment a real challenge, that is for sure.
One Less Trakloader Cut down a few weeks ago.Have vid on YT channel as well.
good old washington log loader what year was that washington log loader working?
Skadill - was this the machine that was parked along the Lougheed Highway out by Mission? I tried to find it recently but came up short. Thanks for catching the final moments on your camera.
This was her,there was a second one as well in the water with no boom,have pics of it too a few posts back at #207
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...95303902241.2016236.1215872087&type=1&theater A washington 88 in NSW Australia has a series 60 Detroit, and Cat D300 undercarriage.
Because everyone likes a tease
There's 45 photos of the machines, more then a few of them... here are more..
I'll be darned. SP, are you part of the family who owned Miller Shingle? My father built a dock for them back in the Sixties at the bend in the Chehalis where they rented a spot from the Cosi sort yard to process Weyco's cedar remnants.
I stand corrected. Talked with my dad again today. He said Miller's place was an outparcel owned by them. The dock he built was for one of the younger Shaeffer Brothers, who started up another mill just downstream from Miller Shingle after Shaeffer Bros. sold out in Brady. Last time I went through Brady, back in 2002, Shaeffer's shop buildings were still looking good, owned by Vaughan Manufacturing. Their roundhouse was also still intact, and also still looked good.
I'll have to go back for serials, where would the likely location be?
I'm not a direct relative, but it wouldn't surprise me if i was related.
Damn the 208/209's are LONG S.O.B.'s!!! I remember hooking on Moes above randle and it was a bearcat to move!!
I've only uploaded about half of the pictures I have to my flickr. Which you saw. Skadill will have videos of a few in the future..
Washington 88 I found this ad in the October 6th 2011 BC Truck and Heavy Equipment Trader
Looks like Miller Shingle is still in business, and doing pretty well: http://www.millershingle.com/other.htm
Miller has completely shut down thier logging operations as of 6 months ago. Hard to believe, after all those years in the business...... All the yarders have been sold with the exception of the Thunderbird TSY-6255 SLR. This is a super-clean one-owner machine, so if you're looking for a good one this is your huckleberry! This machine is Serial Number S-5181 and was deliverd new to Miller's on 8-27-1997. It was the 5th to last one built. PM me ASAP if you're interested because it's going to go away quickly @ $400K. Also have some KW trucks, Link-Belt shovels, and a LeTourneau 6594 stacker if you're looking. The Everett sort yard and Granite Falls Cedar Mill will continue operations for the time being.
Its a shame.Good company,good product.and a market fo it.When things like this are gone,we will all miss them.
What do they have for Link Belt shovels for sale RG?? We need another.
This makes me sad. I worked for Miller Shingle several different times during the eighties. Worked under every yarder they owned at one time or another. They were a good outfit to work for.
Washington 78 Took this a year and a half ago,at Dorman Timber equipment yard
That machine looks awfully familiar. Not that many blue 78's out there. If its the machine I'm thinking of, I ran that for one summer in Hazelton. It originally came from a Twin River Timber auction in Terrace. I can't remember if the one I ran had a third guyline winch or not. I'll have to dig up some old pics.
Here's a pic of the one I ran about 1990ish. Hard to tell if its the same one or not.
Washington TL5H Loader A rare piece.From old rbauction pic from the 80's
A rare piece indeed! These machines were big and clumsy and few were built. A fellow in Washington State does currently own 3 of these today however, and I have heard from the operators that they would really really lift. Though primitive in hydraulics and functions, machines such as this made possible the smooth and reliable hydraulics we use today. Can you post the Serial Number out of that brochure Skadill? I'll dig a little and see if we can identify when she was built, and where she went for you. On thing I LOVE about the old RB brochures is that all the S/N information is printed and accurate! I do have the TL-5H brochures and can scan if there is interest in them by anyone here--
Well there's a blast from the past. My dad tested a prototype TL5H at Vail years ago. Ran off a 6-71 IIRC. It was a maintenance nightmare, but even back then, my dad said it was the wave of the future.
Photo from today, guessing it's the same machine.
Washington skidder and workforce 1928 From historical paper
Washington TL6 Line Loader 4 axle loader over a Hayes HDX,Gold River,B.C. 10 or more years ago.Shared photo. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
That was a awesome post. Very rare images of the iron machines. The mobile loading machines will work excellent. They were fast and efficient. Less maintenance cost. If you have photos of previous models of mobile loading machines share them. Thanks in Advance wrought iron window grilles
wa 88 grappple operations Iam trying to find out how good a grapple works with a washington 88 swing yarder, I have heard pros and con about them, if anybody has any information would be appreciated. thanks
A very interesting old feller buncher brosure.
Washington Iron Works pioneered many, many machines for the timber industry. They built multiple-drum logging engines (steam-powered machines) as early as 1890, and between 1910 and 1920 built gasoline-powered logging trucks for work around Seattle. They built blocks and rigging and even designed an built a geared locomotive (similar to a Shay or Willamette). They built giant steel tower-skidders in the 1930's (Similar to the Lidgerwoods) and big electric yarding engines for Long-Bell and Weyerhaeuser- rail mounted monsters they were. In the 1960's Washington developed hydraulics and though primitive the Washington TL-5H was one of the very first purpose-built hydraulic log loaders ever put into regular production. The 1980's were a time of great turmoil in the timber industry, but Washington Iron Works pushed forward with this big, tilting all-terrain buncher anyway. I was lucky to know a few men on the design team and this thing was way, way ahead of it's time indeed. Only 2 were built under the Washington brand, and the company was completely bankrupt by 1986. After the bankruptcy the plans and rights for this buncher were purchase by Allied of Portland, Oregon and more machines were built under the Allied name. The last one built was donated to the Camp 18 museum recently and can be seen there today. All the other (and older) machines have been scrapped, so it is the last one in existence. I have been lucky enough to spend some time around these (Allied) machines, and have run them on several different occasions. I have enough pics for a dedicated thread if you guys are interested enough? Here's the second Washington machine on display at the OLC Eugene Log Show in the mid 1980's.
Right at the bitter end, didn't Washington Iron Works try to come back under another name, perhaps something like Tree Power? I suspect they added a great deal to the profits of Detroit Diesel Allison, Didn't they also make steam ships' engines in their early years? I believe I heard that one of the Shaeffer brothers went to work for Washington Iron Works for little or nothing in pay, with the agreement that he would be allowed to work in every aspect of their donkeys' production, and that he would also be given a new donkey of his own to log with at the end of the term. Seems like I also heard that, after that donkey hit the woods with Shaeffer Brothers, at least some of their oxen ended up on the dinner table in the camps.
more pictures please cool looking machine how steep can thay go whot horse power
Washington Feller Buncher Thread.........yep, a no brainer....... Yes, I for one would love to see much much more of the coolest looking fellerbuncher ever! I remember when Washington first came out with this rig. If I can remember right.....BIG if here....... seems like they were claiming it could work on 70% slopes! I was amazed at the concept and thought man this is way ahead of it's time! I always wondered what happen to this rig, I knew it couldn't have gone too far or we'd have seen more of them. I've often talked of this machine and it's possiblities and people look at you like you're nuts! No way they'd say, it can't be done. 70% ??? So yes, Mr. Grapple, I would really enjoy seeing much much more of this truly unique machine! I love some of the things that people can come up with to solve (hopefully) the next set of problems...... Put it this way, if Washington Iron Works built it for logging, I want to see it! YES.... YES... YES!!
Change out the haul back pinions to sprag clutches and you would have one of the fastest yarders out there.
All of my personal pictures and experience are involving the later Allied machines- I'll have to scan them as I was using 35mm 800 speed in those days. Allied sold the last machine (I believe it was #11) at auction new and unused with a big Rotosaw, and the buyer was toying with the idea of installing a 624 Waratah on it. We pulled it into the Madill shops a Kalama and did some investigative digging into the hydraulics and I even shot some cool pics inside and apart. We determined we could do it, but the customer nearly had a stroke when he saw the estimate so that project was over right then. Those machines would go literally anywhere, and more than once I was in the cab and thought I was certainly going to die. They would auto-level to 70% and after that you could manually override beyond. I've seen an expert operator cut insane ground. Ken Fallon at Tillamook, Oregon ended up owning all but one the Allied machines eventually (some he aquired new and others used) and Allied put that last new machine in the auction believing Kenny would buy it. He did not (which surprised all of as actually) and another individual picked her up. Ken was helping with demo/development of the Madill 24" hotsaw at that time and I was around his cutting crews non-stop for about 3 years with a prototype Madill head. It was there that I really got to watch the Allieds and I have lots of film of the Allied and prototype Madill cutting side-by-side with the operators trading between machines. Those Allieds have to be seen in action to be believed! No buncher built today will cut ground that rough. I'll start putting info together for you guys on these monsters.
Allied ATH at Day's End. Allied ATH resting at the end of the day. Picture taken in 2004 near Grand Ronde, Oregon as the operator was changing teeth on the big 30" Rotosaw. For size reference see the Playmate cooler sitting in the sawhead mouth. Late-style boom design also clearly visible here. I had scanned this picture a few months ago for another project and had it handy to post.
I would love to see more of these...especially if most were run in Oregon, i grew up in willamina so i like looking at pictures of equipment in that area.
Washington Feller Buncher Wow!! was I way off on the gradeability of this machine. 150% is tough ground to climb on let alone manuvring a 70,000lb machine! Unbelieveable......and that was 20 some years ago!! Must have been something of a controlled slide!! We know that Washington folded, but the feller buncher went on under the Allied name. So what was the demise of this beauty? I would guess that it was an expensive machine to purchase, but wow what capabilities! On to the machine, did she articulate for turning? I'm guessing hydraulic drive on the tracks? What did she have for power and how many pumps did she have? How did they hold up under severe use? How was she on fuel? how much $ were they back then? Much much more info is needed here........
My guess for power: 4-71, or perhaps a 6V-53. I would imagine it was some form of a 2-cycle Detroit back then.
I forgot I had this. My brother found this carriage still hanging on the skyline about 30 years ago.
I I talked with a buncher operator this week about the Washington. He said they were very impressive but a huge pain to move. He thought they never took off because they needed to be dismantled to be moved.
Washington / Allied Feller Buncher.........thread Well, Mr. Grapple, I have been on sitting on the edge of my seat........checking the forum every day just hoping that you might find the time to help a feller out. See I NEED to see that long ago promised ( Feb. 5, 2012) thread on the coolest feller buncher ever made. Over twenty years ago I first saw one and I immediately knew that this was the most futuristic machine on the planet........it could have been on Star Wars!! So I guess I'll just go back to sitting on the edge of my seat and wait....Wait....WAIT!!! I hate waiting.......So if you could find the time in your busy schedule and help an iron addict out, it would be way cool.
i was wandering if by any chance u could make me a 1/50th scale yarder like a 737? and if so how much would it cost to do so?
We were following one of Fallon's on a lowboy travelling hwy 26 heading for the coast when the cab hit a overpass, bits and pieces went flying...
Washington Trakloader Super Snorkel Took this along the Coquihalla Highway 20 years ago while building some log road up there.This was around 20km up the hwy past Hope.Think it was owned by Archie MacLean from Hope,B.C. It was clearing the Coquihalla river of a build up of logs from a massive flood that fall season.There a Thunderbird hydraulic loader heel and grapple can be just seen at the right corner,didnt photo it though unfortunately.Time does move quickly. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
Hey Rusty Grapple!! that looks like it might be TL15 more than a TL6 what do you think. Never did see a Tl with a very long snorkel on it, so that is very neat to see that.Good picture skadill.
What a great picture! I can't tell what it is, but the first thing I noticed was the boom- doesn't look like the usual Washington heel boom. I wonder if Washington designed the boom differently for the super-snorkel, or if it's an aftermarket boom of some kind. It looks alot like a TL-6 but the cab looks off somehow and the side window is really small too. Is it on rubber, and if so which carrier I wonder? There were 4 different carrier styles. I saw a TL-6 on rubber with a long snorkel in BC recently (a picture on Facebook taken in BC someplace) but wasn't a super-snorkel like this. As usual Skadill comes out with another treasure!
It was on a rubber tired carrier,buts that my extent of info.
Washington Trackloaders Mr. Bushman1....or anyone else with knowledge. Do you know what happened to the two old Washington Trakloaders that Arcata Redwood had? They were both there when I left Klamath. One was mostly original. It was bought new in 1950 or '51. They loaded with it for years then started yarding logs with it. It was my introduction to cable logging. It still had the old 220 Cummins and the heel boom. The grapple riser was removed & it just had the big tommy moore sheave. It was also on tracks. The other one was highly modified i'm guessing by Myrmo & Sons, though I don't know for sure. It had a 40' lattice boom, they added a skyline drum and it had two guyline drums. It was mounted on a three axle self propelled carrier, duals all the way around. Rear axles were chain driven. It had a 671 jimmy that sounded so cool down in the hole....when she was pulling her guts out it sounded like a can of mad bees.... These were the first two machines I ever tended hook on, they were definetely a learning experience. It was not brute power but finesse that got the logs to the landing. You had to learn to have detached curiosity to solve all the problems and hang ups...you had to look at the problem..whatever it was...from the outside. Otherwise it would drive you crazy, anything that could go wrong went wrong!! I loved these two machines, I'm sure they were scrapped, just wondering if you or anyone knew.. thanks....
funny stuff about that motor screaming sounded like it was pulling the world apart but you could walk faster than that log was moving.oldest one was bought in 53 i have a washington catalog with it in it mounted on pedestal at old mill before they put under carriage on it.weird i just spoke to mr. miller and he is sending me a bunch of pics. of that era thats one of them.it was scrapped years ago. the other one was done by henry bastian(skyline drum,)both were sold by him first one as W.I.W.salesman cant recall what happened to it but will find out.
Because teasing is good.
Kinda hard to tell, but it almost looks like they put in a bigger rad or something, maybe it has a bigger engine? They also added extra counterweight of course! I think it is a TL-6 though, it looks a bit small to be a TL-15. Never seen one with a super snorkel before! Also notice that it has the American boom, and no guarding, so it must have been brought up from the States.
I just imagine what it was like to swing it around with jacks up. Your butt would be bunching up the seat cushion real quick.
No kidding 075, or even traveling down the road if it is on the short 4 axle carrier. Or even worse the three axle, LOL!
Hey there, Was just wondering who Roadswitcher is, the 127 that your talking about was moved to Nelson for Winston Allnut (Pinus Logging Company) which has now been taken over by his Foreman Bryan Heslop (BHL Ltd). RoadSwitcher did you work in this crew? My old man is the yarder operator that you were talking about, has now been in the seat for just about 25 years now.
Refer to posts 166 and 178 Thunderbird thread...LOL
Sorry, havent managed to find the tread you were talking about. Any hints to who you are?
Ah found it, #178 gave it away, have never meet you (I think), but have heard your name mentioned around the bush in nelson and through the old man. what are you doing over in Aus?
Hey Contract Logger...here are quite a few Washington machines in this series of photos....all dead and down for the count. http://adventuresinmikeslife.blogspot.ca/2012/04/photos-of-derelict-west-coast-logging.html
(C) Rusty Grapple/Contract Logger He took the photo, and I had edited it.
Here's a TL-6 I took pictures of a number of years ago. The owner wanted to sell me the machine and his business so I went and spent the day with him to see what it was all about! What a cool machine that thing was! He had another one as well which I didn't see, it was at another site. I didn't buy his business, probably a good thing in the end, but I sure wanted to!
Washington shovels sure did have a look all their own, didn't they?
The cab controls set up a little different than most TL6's. Knee throttle, R/H control turned a bit so the tag has been moved some where else,Steering wheel mount like TL5. No locks on L/H quad for locking quad for travel. and looks like it has a transmission shifter over by L/H window same as TL5
Kiwi 188 From the FICA website here is a picture of a Nelson based 188. Im not sure who the current owner is. Edit - I think it is Woods Contracting
Here are some pictures of a couple Washington Steam Donkeys sitting at our shop.
Here is the other one, a little more complete then the first.
Well its been a while since I posted any pictures but having had an extreamly wet year here in fact the wettest for 75 years I couldnt resist posting this pic that one of my foreman took this morning the 137 Washington tower in the background as the sun came up which we havnt seen for a long long time and a multi bolster trailer being lifted off the truck.
Ha! I just started hauling into your home a few weeks ago and noticed them. I wandered over there with my phone to snap a couple of photos yesterday. I was amazed that they were saved and not sent to the scrapper!
Thought I would post these pics I took last week. Have been pretty lucky as only the third time in 20 years that I have had to move the 137 Washington on a transporter as all of our moves have been in forest where we move it with our D8k. The next job was only about 1.5km in a straight line but had to truck the Yarder about 50kms to get there on the State Highway. And for all the truckies out there the transporter was a two month old KW T909 with a widning dolly with two rows of 8 and the trailer is a widner three rows of 8 with an extra clip on row of eight axle.
gotta say thats about the goofiest truck/trailer setup ive ever seen. never seen a pug nosed w900 before.
It's not a pug nose W900. It's an Australian made T908.
909 sorry.
Washington 108 Getting a major rebuild.video @ http://youtu.be/lsQvG8dq8LY
Hi! Do you have any idea what year Washington Iron Works Built the 10x12 Steam Donkeys? I found one in the woods over the weekend (well what was left of it) but can't find any information on when they were made. Thanks so much for posting these pictures, they are the only ones of the 10x12 that I could find.
This is in reference to post #293
108 Washington, winter 1989
Wow! That's impressive!!!
WIW from CA Here are a few photos from the Sierra Nevada mountains in California. The 188 on the mountain is from July 2011. They folded the boom at the end of last season.
The new 188 Same company.. Just bought this beauty a little while ago. So they now own 3 188s. Nevada City, CA. This machine is in amazing shape. 8V71 power, and I think someone said it was 2nd to last one built. Came from west of Redding, CA. Said they were going to keep the 8V71 since the smog rules for forestry equipment in CA just got a little less strict. They were in the process of readying her for the season. Checking the whistle system etc. Shots from May 2013.
The company I work for has a 188 working just east of redding.for its age it sure can pull
hoechucker, Thats a BC term for shovel logging too! Never heard that from freinds in Oregon/ Washington. Its funny how logging terminology varies state to state and region to region. I'm working on a photo project that is about the people of the woods industry, and have photos/ portraits from CA, OR, WA and will be going to BC in June this year. If you and your outfit would be into it, I'd come and photograph y'all. I bring lights, and camera and try to make something that looks awesome and shows real people in a real industry. I'm also a yarder junky, so your outfit would be a bonus for me! My website has photos of loggers on it. The last session was of timber fallers working for Soper Wheeler in the northern Sierras. My site is at: adamweidenbach.com
Scwashington in Washington These are from June 2012 around Battleground/ Yacolt WA. Skagit T90 with WIW127. That is my guess. Anyone want to add to this? Nice guy punching yarder. Wish I could find the scrap of paper with his name on it. Anyhow, thanks for putting up with the photos etc.! Jeremy, you have been to this side also...Any info? Also, I'll be in the Yacolt area for Pomeroy Farm in June. 7th-11th. Lett me Know if you'll be there.
Fantastic photos keep em coming
Washington 188 Power Plant To my knowledge all the Washington 188's used the 8V92 for power, including both the converted 118's and those built as 188's. The 118's were powered with the 8V71. Thanks for the great pictures of a really great yarder. They are decades old now and still are a very competitive yarder. Had Washington Iron Works been able to survive, the yarders they would have produced today would be nothing short of absolutely amazing!! Lighter, faster, more powerful, more capable. They were a truly great company. In the coming years we will miss them more and more. By the way, people on here are going to want the serial numbers! Thanks again. Keep up the good work!
I have a few pictures of this yarder up on Bells Mt, I'll have to dig them out. I saw it twice last summer, as it worked all over that hill for months. I hope to make it up to Pomeroy Farm this summer, I live about 5 miles away from it, so I'm always in the area
i use to know all the walch family mike had a big yarder down in back i dont know what is was but was inclosed had big wooden floor that ran the whole length of it
old TL-6 Here is an old TL-6, looks like it came from the auction and was never used, paint looks good.
last sitting outside of the museum in woolley
sorry to say it fell to the torch
I'm late to this thread, but what the heck. I ran a Washington swing yarder on the night shift for Crown Z in the 70's. Made for some interesting times.
Washington 217 Louisiana Pacific This Washington 217 logged for Georgia Pacific then Louisiana Pacific until sometime in the early eighties. You can see a big rubber tired front end loader working the chute. It was very common in these parts to have a large (980 or 988) front end loader to take care of loading duties on these big towers. These days landing size restrictions wouldn't permit it. The pictures were taken by William Boyle, the husband of my 4th grade teacher....Photos courtesy of the Humboldt Room.
More Washington 217 Here are more pictures of the same yarder. GP/LP had two large towers, this Washington and also a Skagit BU199. The 199 was sold to Mike Graves then sold to a rock pit in BC. I don't know what happened to this 217 or where it went. In pic one I believe we are looking at a V12 there........LOADS of power!!! In pic two they have just dropped a turn on the landing. They are high leading here. Towers this size usually used 1 & 1/4 inch choker in the front and 1 1/8 in the back. If you had a big "pumkin" you called for the 1 & 3/8 bull choker. The 217 has eight guy lines, you can see the drums here in pic three.
Hello Redwood - when did you find out how to post pictures? Congrats!!! And fantastic pictures also - and pls wait a couple of hours, because I think I have some recent pictures of that same Wash! (And by the way and I'm pretty sure it's prod no 5939 model 217-110 delivered to LP in Big Lagoon october 1972).
I know its the wrong page red but I used to work with a guy that ran that 199 for lp
Does he have some pictures - and does he happen to remember the serial?
LP Washington This is the one I was thinking about, but this seems not to be the same. At least cab is not on a riser. But I have seen another LP big Washington somewhere, I will try to sort it out. I have lot's of pictures of big (208, 217 etc) Washington yarders resting. Do somebody know if some of them still are being used for logging?
A little more on the huge 217's. They seem to have been made from 1970 to 1973 in a number of 29. Most of them probably had Cummins CV1710 power and 24 of them actually went to Bislig Bay on Mindanao in the Philippines. 9 of these had 110 feet spars and carriers, rest where probably sled mounted. 1 went to Ketchikan pulp and one to Simpson in Washington and 3 to California. I know about 2 217's exisiting today; Huffman & Wright had one that they probably obtained from the Philippines, this machine is stored and seems to be in good condition. I will bring pictures of that one. The other is probably owned by Auburn Timber/Rainier Skyline Excavator and is seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGb6MY-BMQc . I frequently go to the Philippines and maybe in the future I get the chance to go to Bislig Bay, since it seems to have been exported more than 60 Washington yarders there in the sixties and early seventies...
Washington loader Here is another old loader I saw, looks to be still in use
TL-5 maybe ?? 525isx
Yes it is an TL5 many happy days spent in that seat.As long as you were not trying to swing logs up hill lol
This one is for sale for $10 Grand if anyone is interested, runs good
cl ther is a big washinton yarder and tower north of eatonville it says champion kaposon do you know anything about it
Taken yesterday .
More.
Last. Couldn't find any # tags. Clear Creek logging on orange one. Both pretty gutted. d.d.
hey cl there is a big washington yarder in gram wa it has champion kaposon on it i think thun logging owns it
I run a modified 158 washington yarder. Its on a Berger carrier with a Berger tower. It has an extra drum added to it. looks a lot like a 207. I was looking for information on this third drum that was modified. the gear and drum is exactly the same as the skidding line 66649. Theres a small gear that goes between these two on an aditional shaft. I need a new shaft and possibly a new gear but I cant find a part# on small gear.
Have you checked with Ramsey's? They have a lot of Washington stuff.
I havn't yet. I know we got this yarder from Rawson logging. I know that when it comes to getting parts made modern machinery has helped me out a lot in the past but I don't know what the specs are and havnt had much luck with the machine shops around here.
I'll pm you their contact info.
there is a big washinton it says tl6 on it but it has a big tube on it its in graham on meridian it says champinon kaposin its at thun loggings yard
sorry for the bad photo ,I had to take a picture of the picture my brother wouldn't let take out to scan . A Washington showing some of it muscle .
Was there a fist fight and broken beer bottles...or just a hissy fit ...now that you two have "matured"??
Lmao . No fist fight ,I settled that years ago lol . As for broken beer bottles I did have to walk across a few to get to the picture .
I'm not familiar with that washington 188. Is it hard to operate that machine?
Tl-5h TL-5H of Celgar's in Nakusp BC, looks like the one Skadill posted in pic #248 maybe?
Hi New guy here and was looking to find a spec on the Washington model 88 yarder..........can anyone provide a very approximate GVW for this machine. thanks
Washington 88 - weight According to the specification sheet: Boom 3,460 lbs A frame 4,220 lbs Machinery Platform 38,500 lbs Crawler 32,000 lbs Fuel and lines 10,090 lbs Total 88,270 lbs
Washington 88 brochure ...
Torkelh: Do you have a clearer copy of the Model 88 brochure. I'm planning on doing one of these in 1/25 scale for my collection and would love to get a copy of that for the rough dimensions. Bill
I don't have that brochure, but you should be able to get good dimensions from the shop manual if you can find someone in your area having an 88 (try Andeson Logging, they had at least an 88). I have blown up the pictures somewhat, hope that is for at least a little help for you, good man! I also have pictures of couple of 88's, let me know if it's some special details you need and I will see what I may have.
Question to Walt Vandegrift His company bought both Skagit and Washington equipment. I asked him at one point why he preferred Washington yarders. He said that while both machines were more than capable of doing the job, he liked the Washington better because it seemed to run "smoother" to him. Nobody at the factory could explain this to me, and they said it could be that they liked the salesman better or something like that, but Walt was very polite and probably wanted to spare me the real reasons.
Thanks Torkel, that will help a lot. Yeah I tray and get as much info and photos as i can for each one of my models. Do you by chance in your reference material have anything on the EDCO Mustang yarder?
Edco Mustang I should have some specs (just a faxed photocopy) and some photos. H&W in Cannyonville, OR had one working last april, some of a yarder, and that shouldn't be to far from you if you have the possibility to go up there. I have some video of that machine but it's not any close up. I will go through and look for photos of Wash 88's and EDCO's for you tomorrow night!
Don Woodfin's Washington 88 (Port Alberni) Pictures
Don Woodfin's Washington 88 (Port Alberni) cont Pictures
Don Woodfin's Washington 88 (Port Alberni) cont pic's
Don Woodfin's Washington 88 (Port Alberni) cont pics
Don Woodfin's Washington 88 (Port Alberni) cont last pics. Sorry two of them are wrong way, I cannot spend any more time try to figure out which way this forum is turning my pictures... Very irritating.
I worked on and around a new Washington in the early 80's. It had some early issues that required the attention of the Washington mechanic. Got to talk with the mechanic quite often. One of my questions was why there was such a difference between the GT3 Skagit that was used prior to the Washington. He said that the drums on the Washington were balanced, this might have a lot to do with how smooth it ran. I told him that the Skagit sounded like a rock crusher running. He smiled and said apples and oranges!
Another 188. Up around Strawberry, CA. October, 2013
Back from the dead After sitting for 20 years its back in the woods again..137W owned by Brentec logging out of silvercreek Washington...same yarder as post 58..
built this 88 from thoise drawings and measurements
I found these in a 1959 Western Lumberman magazine. I wonder if any survived. They would have been a really fun to lowbed! it says they were powered by the PTO on the back of the D8. I am thinking they used a flat belt. Doug I thought I finally figured out how to resize pictures but I see it has overwritten on them. Dang computers!
Washington Iron Works...circa 1926...On display at Humboldt County Logging Museum Eureka, Ca.
Brand new 2014 Washington swing yarder, model designation hasn't been given yet... Notice the multiple calipers on the rotor. No more drum brakes or band brakes. Lots of other neat details. This thing will be a Hotrod. Powertech 13.5 Deere
its good to see washington make logging equipment again
Is there anywhere on Van.Island that a person could get any brochures on models?
is it too late to fit grooved drums?
New Washington swing yarder Mr. Miller, I find your post very interesting. Is it possible to get some more info on the project? Because of the engine are we talking 188 size? Is it a new manufactured winch and gears or remanufactured? As far as I know Modern bought the Washington rights from Pacific Manufacturing, are they involved? Only thing I can say about model number it should end with 8 for interlocked.
Looks like an "88". Disk brakes, haul back gears on left side... Whoever is building that should put a band brake on the haul back drum. The disks have a hard time holding the rigging up when you give drop line to the crew if your outa ways. They should put a real brake on the slack puller, and an independent clutch on the slack puller. Just a few things that would make the 88's more user friendly. Good yarders though.
Hi all Does anyone have an operators manual or a cab layout schematic for the 188? Cheers
don't know size hope some one can tell me think its a old interfor machine
I sure miss thoes 2 188's did alot of layout over the years for them. Great versatile machine! Shame to see them go from Klamath, old man Miller had them repainted and all when they bought them second hand 5 years or so prior...Redwoodclimber might know more about them?
Walt told me that he liked Washington Yarders better than Skagit's because he said they were "smoother" than Skagit's. His son Bruce who took over the operation after his father passed way was famous for getting more production out of a logging show than anybody else. Bruce save a lot of driving time when he purchased a Hughes 500 chopper to save in time driving from logging show to logging show. Bruce was famous for pulling the shafts and drums out of a BU 90. Skagit just happened have one in stock and got him running two days later. He told me that he never had a service problem with Skagit. (Could be because he went directly to the Skagit President who lived nearby his headquarters.)
Jeet Sangara , A lonely Washington Trak Loader parked at Duke Point .
Washington 188 yarder brochure from late 1980's
One more, from November 1988. I didn't know Skagit took over Washington.
Washington 88 brochure and specs.
One more 88 brochure
A couple more and much older yarder ad's
Is it possible to spool main and slack puller lines independantly?
Larry Ramsey's yard in Chehalis WA as of June 2020; has 3 or 4 208s, one 217D, one 218 and 1-3 trailer mount units if I am remembering correctly. 217D with V1710 Cummins motor, "The Beast"
Ramsey 208 with 1150 Cummins
Ramsey 208D with unknown Caterpillar engine.
Ramsey 218, ex Weyerhaeuser unit, pretty sure it had a Cummins, no data plates Skylock 108 swing yarder on rubber Trackloader TL 6 (I believe) on 3 axle carrier
Camp 18 near Elsie, OR home to the last Allied (Washington) Tree Harvester, or ATH 28. Unless one is hiding somewhere, my understanding is the remaining dozen or so have all been scrapped. Ken Fallon / Fallon Logging of Tillamook OR acquired all of the remaining units but got the torch. The one at Camp 18 is the last one made and only has 1300 hours on the meter. Machine is actually in really nice shape, I don't think it got much use. It is pictured elsewhere in the forum next to a Thunderbird swinger before it was donated. Lots of pictures for those who may not be able to make it to Camp 18 easily. This machine is what got me into HEF like 6 years ago, never thought I would see one in person.
More ATH 28 at Camp 18
Misc ATH 28 at Camp 18
Last of the ATH 28 photos, service plates and logo. I have a few more, but you get the idea. Was the propane tank used for in cab heating?
Bugs me that they didn't bother to swing the house around to at least have the saw facing forward versus what I assume is the transport position but with the cab tilted back up. So, the magic of photoshop has given us this... (still needs to get cleaned up a bit) And bare with me here, but there were talks of having a 624 Waratah mounted up on this actual machine, so to give an idea: Don't ask how long that took, but I think the head needs to be a touch bigger for the proper scaling … oh well
Recently rebuilt 78A swing yarder by Wheeler Machinery at B&M Logging in Chehalis. Think it was finished in Dec 2019 and drums are still bare, but shes mint. Wheeler also has a bunch of the original drawings and literature for the tree harvester above, plus anything else Washington ever built. 208 on the left at Rainier Skyline Excavators (Mike Walch) in Entiat WA. Not sure what machine is on the right, but looks Washington.
Those 217D's mostly went to Bislig Bay on Mindanao, Philippines. Some were imported back, like this one. I have been trailing Google maps for remaining yarders, or Hayes trucks, in Bislig Bay without success
How large was the wood in the Philippines for a 217? I know VanWell Timber has one also.
That looks cool. What was the purpose or advantage of having such a high cab on a feller buncher. Or, am I missing something?
High cab so when operating on steep terrain, the ATH 28's cutting head (up slope of the machine) was in the 'eye line' of the operator when at the base of the tree getting cut.
Washington Feller Buncher FB-1 (Wheeler You Tube channel)
I don't know, but this is tropical rainforest. Probably 180' to 200' tall heavy hardwood,
About 17yrs ago I worked for an aggregate company and we crushed rock for Fallon up passed there shop in Tillamook and in the rock pit about 7mi up the gravel road there were 2 sitting in the pit and he had parts of several still in his yard. I’m sure you’re right though that they probably got scrapped but even back then I wanted to bring one home.
Very true. I worked under an 88 and after it suddenly dropped out of the sky a few times, we very quickly learned to give the carriage some room when untangling the chokers.
Dumb question. Looking at the Larry Ramsey 217D pictures, I see a data tag with a National Board U stamp. What component would need a U stamp? The tower?
TL15 Rigged for short yarding . Frank Beban Logging Gardner Canal Note the wood boom TL6 Loader Pioneer Timber Port McNiel Acme Grapple I think.
BCFP Renfrew Div. #95 Washington TL15
BCFP Renfrew Div. #95 Washington TL15
Bob MacMillen photo's BCFP Renfrew Div. #311 Washington TL6
BCFP Renfrew Div. #93 Washington TL15
Built a couple of these back in the 80 s. Washington grapples .
This is located in Port Clements
These were Washingtons on the older log barges back in the day. Both Rivtow and Seaspan used them when they loaded loose logs . Any one recall the model?
wow think I would have stayed ashore for that operation
Its done remotely now from the tug.
it must create quite a commotion when everything turns loose
Tom Worth Photo BCFP Renfrew Div. #319 a new Washington TL 15 Trak Loader . 1964 or 65
Bob MacMillen Photo BCFP Renfrew Div. #319 Washington TL15 Trak Loader
BCFP Renfrew Div. #319 Washington TL15 Trak Loader with a Yarding Boom used for short yarding .
This is at the Port Clement museum.
There used to be some shore based Derricks loading log barges up in the Charlottes. Is that grapple from one of them?
It could be.
BCFP Renfrew Div. #95 Washington TL15 Trak Loader The #95 TL15 was purchased in the early 1950's . It was built to load with "Tongs" and was capable of short yarding . Sometime around 1970 it was repurposed to be capable of "Grapple Yarding" and some major changes were made to it . The #319 Washington TL 15 was purchased in the mid 1960's , it was used for short yarding and loaded using "tongs" though it was capable of loading with "Grapples". In the late 1960's the "Goose Neck Boom" was shortened a couple of feet and equiped with a wooden "Snorkel" and used for loading with a "Grapple" . In the early 1970's the #319 TL 15 was replaced with a 7220 American set up with a long "Snorkel" for Cherry Picking the road right of way and getting cheap logs off the Yarder Settings . The #319 Tl 15 was put back yarding small corners and settings . eventually the "Goose Neck Boom" was replaced by a straight yarding boom . I always wondered why the #319 was not set up for Grapple Yarding and the #95 was not set up as a Log Loader using Grapples . The #93 Washington TL 15 was a BCFP Pitt Lake machine that ended up at Renfrew Div. (by number it was older than the #95 ) It was set up for loading with a Grapple . It had Main and Opening line brakes on the floor with a knee throttle . It was a nice loader to run . The #319 had a left foot throttle on the floor with Haulback and Mainline brake side by side controlled by the right foot . I always found it awkw ard to cover the haulback and mainline brake with one foot .
Ive never seen it ,but heard guys talk of line shorteners or some kind of slack puller to open the grapple when the machine didnt have 3 drums. Anyone been around that type of system?
This Northwest had a split "Drum" . The right drum was divided in the middle , Main line was on the right and Opening line on left . The left drum was attached to a block purchase in the "Boom" . When you pulled on left lever . the grapples went up as they opened . In that position when you "cast " the Grapple , they stayed open . Just as the grapples hit the log , you released the left "shortening" line enough to allow the Grapples to close on the log . It worked really well unless you got to much slack in the Mainline . Then all hell broke out as the cable got caught up in the guards and what ever else it could get hooked on . You still needed three drums to make it work , you can see the rigging in the boom . I came across a Skagit that was rigged up similar to this NW in my travels
BCFP Renfrew Div. #95 Washington TL15 Trak Loader leaving the Division early 1980's .
Looks like a cut down 009 spar
BCFP Renfrew Div. #318 Washington TL6 Trak Loader Bought by BCFP new for their Pitt Lake Div. then sent to BCFP Nekite R. Div. for a couple of years . Arriving at Renfrew Div. on the Barge that would take the retiring #95 to Town . TL15 View attachment 274488 View attachment 274489 View attachment 274490 to town.
BCFP Renfrew Div. #309 Washington TL6 Trak Loader The #309 arrived at Renfrew Div. about 1958 Alex Malahoff who had previously operated the #95 TL15 a tong machine , I don't know if he had operated a loader with a grapple before the #309 . He didn't like the way the Mainline and Opening line brake pedals were situated , so he had them moved so the mainline pedal was in front of the opening line pedal . That way he could "rock" his foot back and forth to control the Brakes . He didn't like the Washington Scissor Grapples , so he worked with a Welder Fabricator (Lefty Marsh) to modify them to his liking . The first picture shows a set of the Grapples that were still being used until the mid 1980's when the TL6's were retired .
Mike Green photo's BCFP Renfrew Div. #311 Washington TL6 Trak Loader This TL6 was new at BCFP Vancouver Bay Div. , when Vancouver Bay closed down in 1966 or 67 it was moved to Renfrew Div. .
BCFP Renfrew Div. #93 TL15 Washington Trak Loader
BCFP Renfrew Div. #309 TL6 Washington Trak Loader
Tom Worth Photo's BCFP Renfrew Div. #309 Washington TL6 Trak Loader
BCFP Renfrew Div. #319 TL Washington Trak Loader on Lowbed .
BCFP Renfrew Div. #319 TL15 Washington Trak Loader Late May early June 1986 I was issued a new P510S Pacific the #6-284 . I had driven it about a week . I had it home on the weekend and had washed and waxed it . Monday morning I was asked to stop in camp and go to the office . As there had been an unfortunate event over the weekend , they were short of operators and needed me to run the #319 . I ran it for a couple weeks , then we went on strike until December . I hardly got to drive the new truck for six months , and got it back dirty !
Bob MacMillen Photo's BCFP Caycuse Div. TL 15 Trak Loader
Bob MacMillen Photo's Two TL6 Trak Loaders at work
Ken Hallberg Photo courtesy of Rob Norman Two TL15 Washington Trak Loaders on Rail Road Flat Cars being moved from Caycuse Camp to Log Truck Reload at the top of the Caycuse Summit . late 19 40's or early 1950's .
Rob Norman Photo's BCFP Caycuse Div. TL 15 Trak Loader
Rob Norman Photo's BCFP Caycuse Div. TL15 Trak Loader
BCFP Renfrew Div. #93 TL15 Washington Trak Loader
Dave Whiskin Photo's Fletcher Challenge Cayc use Div.
Dave Whiskin Photo's BCFP Caycuse Div.
Hi, love your pictures. A Treasure chest for a model builder like me. I have a question about the TL-6 Loader ...what line is on what wicnh drum ? here ia where I am at with the model....also is there a rule how long a snorkel is...? I made one 18 scale feet long...appreciate any help
I've worked around some of the TL6's in these pictures , but I never ran one or been part of changing "lines" on these machines . As duel purpose machines I would think the front drum would be the closing line loading or mainline yarding . The middle drum would be the opening line loading or haulback yarding . The back drum would be the boom line for raising or lowering the boom . There should be another drum on the left opposite cab side for the tagline loading or strawline yarding . If there is someone out there that knows these machines better please correct me . The length of the snorkel could vary depending on where the machine is working . Loading from a Tower with guylines one might use a shorter snorkel than loading from a Grapple Yarder or "Cherry Picking" new road right of way . The model looks good , keep the pictures coming so we can see your progress .
Thanks for your comeback ! I was thinking along the same lines but not even having seen a real one I went by what I know about cable excavators.... From the pictures on line it is hard to see. There are a few postings about the winch setup on MADILL yarders...so I figured it could not be that far apart but input from someone that operated one or seen them up close would be of help. As to the pictures, most definitely will post some of the progress....right now it is drying time for the paint...then painting the cab interior...and the dirt and rust.... I almost finished my Super snorkel...I is a home spun one..no real prototype but all the features are there. Considering that some logging companies are quite creative and resourceful....someone might have actually built one from available parts....the model is waiting for the grapple and the tagline.... the snorkel from the tip of the boom is 50 scale feet and the total lenght of boom and snorkel are 77 scale feet. The other pictures are of 2 I already build...
So...went a bit further along. The Dirt Rust and aging is done on the body and boom...now to the hard part...the windows!
Am still working on the TL-6....but while waiting for some drying...I finished my LINKBELT loader... Not to happy that the windows did not turn out as planned..but.... So a little more touch up here and there and it is complete...