Hello All, I have a 1970's 3800 Back Hoe that got Water in the Hyd. Oil Tank. This happened by having snow build up on top of the tank and when it melted.. it leaked into the breather cap that set's low on top of the Hyd. Tank. I found it by checking the level and the dip stick was milky. I drained the main tank and have all the remaining Hyd. Oil in the -- Lines, (9) Cyl's. , Pumps, etc. . 1. What's the best way to get most of the Contaminated Hyd. Oil out of the Hyd. System. I'll get the Hyd. Cleaned Out Ok, was thinking of adding about Enough New Hyd. (5 to 7 gal. at a time) or so and operate all the All the Cyls. and Close the Cyl's. to have them emptied out. Then, Drain and Flush the tank and do again to .. see good color in the Hyd. Oil. Then, install a New Hyd. Filter. I can see that process may take about 2 to 3 times to get the Hyd. Oil Cleaned Up and Mostly Free of Water. 2. Now, does anyone know of an -- Additive to put in a Hyd. System to Disperse Water ? Their will be trace water in my Hyd. System when I'm done with the flushing. I read on the Excavating Forum that JD went to Motor Oil Type Hyd. Oil to Get Away from Water in the Hyd. System... to save their Hyd. Pumps. This IHC 3800 takes IHC Hy-Trans Oil, I think it's a combination of Motor Oil and Hyd. Oil Mixture. Thanks, Avery
A product called seafoam is supposed to be good for removing the moisture. http://seafoamsales.com/trans-tune/ Flushing with new oil or draining what you can right at the cylinders is probably the only way to get most of it out.
1. Your method will work and that's the way I usually do it, but that's the quick and dirty method, not the best way. The best way is to add clean oil to the tank and with two people, flush each side of each function by disconnecting the hose at the cylinder and pushing the oil out the hose, the cylinder, then switching to the other "end" of the cylinder and repeating.