Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where to Buy Hyd. Cyl. Re-Pack Seal Kits for All Cyl’s. on 1970’s IHC 3800 4WD Hoe ?

HighFly27 ยท 2014-02-25 02:47

Hello All, I have 1970's IHC Model: I - 3800 Backhoe, 4WD, S/N 1019, has a 282 Diesel Engine. Some of the Cyl's. are Seeping, and the Hoe Bucket Boom Cyl. Leaks down (static) in a few minutes time. it's time to go thru them all but where would I find the Re-Pack Kits for a old IHC 70's hoe. I'm a retired Hvy. Equipment Mech. but never dealt with older IHC Hoe's. I still have all my tools, to include my OTC Hyd. Cyl. Tools that take the end caps off. I use to work on the big hoist cyl.'s in dump trucks. These IHC Cyl's. have a notch in the end caps & spin off. All my rod shafts are good, not rusted or nicked up. The IHC 3800 is good shape, not beat up, low hours and should be worth the re-pack job. I checked the machine today, the bucket dump cylinders are wet on both sides, all the other cylinders are dry. However, the Hoe Boom Cyl. has a leak down rate that fairly rapid. It will leak down in about 5 minutes and the bucket will hit the ground, I have to chain it up when traveling. It could be Valve Problem but the Boom Cyl. is a little lazy and it's most likely the packing. I did not want to take the cyl's. apart until I have parts in my hand. The Hoe is Operational and Useable at this time. Thanks, Avery

Replies5
  1. #1fishfighter2014-02-25 07:32

    Myself, I started a thread about aftermarket seal kits do to Cases's high dollar prices. What was posted is that people said they worked. So, I will be ordering a few kits off of ebay which is less then half price. I'm sure you could find a complete kit there.

  2. #2chris allen2014-02-26 22:55

    Hey fella,, not sure were ya order ur case parts from, but I buy alotta seal kits from a place here in Byron Ga, there called central ga equipment, there number is 1 478 956 3833,, there pretty reasonable with me,,, an some time I take my ole seals from cylinders to my local hyd. hose making shop an they measure an matchem up, an on ur rear cylinder that leaks down so fast an ya think its the seals or a valve, take the lines off the cylinder with the boom up (chain it up first) then cap the fittings on cylinder off an then the 2 hoses ya took loose, then release the chain off boom an watch it, if it still drifts down then ur packing is leaking internally, if it holds then ur leak is in the valve body.

  3. #3HighFly272014-02-27 12:12

    Chris Allen and All, I called Central GA Equipment, they told me that they could not help me on IHC Construction Equip., only Case Equipment. I thanked him and still looking. I searched all of eBay and did Not find any Re-Pack Kits for IHC Hyd. Cylinders. I did find about any other manufacturing (hyd. cyl's.)company that one could think of but Not IHC. Anyway, thanks for your time, I'm still looking for -- IHC Type Re-Pack Kits. I just bought a Parts Book (original from IHC) for my IHC 3800; I don't know if having the IHC part numbers will help or not. Thanks' Avery

  4. #4Deon2014-02-27 18:18

    You can try these guys. They say they can match most anything. You may need to take measurements and/or send them the old seals. http://www.maxxhyd.com

  5. #5HighFly272014-02-27 23:08

    Deon, I just check them out, they look like a Power House Hyd. Company. I tried eBay today (again) and typed in International Harvester and a Co came up that had several seal kits for IHC Cylinders. Yesterday, I bought an original IHC Parts Book for my IHC 3800. My 3800 parts book will arrive by next Monday. I'll look up the parts numbers and see if the eBay company has my Re-Pack Kits. If not, I'll give Maxx Hyd's. a call. Thanks for the Info. . Avery