Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Water in transmission oil?

D6Cfarmer · 2022-07-06 16:41

Have a 1977 D6C with PS transmission (#10k136**) The oil is whiteish color and I’m pretty sure it from the radiator since I believe the torque converter is liquid cooled. Does anyone know where I’m getting that leak from? TIA

Replies11
  1. #1ahart2022-07-06 16:57

    I would have to think powertrain oil cooler would be the culprit.

  2. #2D6Cfarmer2022-07-06 17:24

    Ok, is that located on LH side of engine and is horizontal above the replaceable engine oilfilter?

  3. #3ahart2022-07-06 17:39

    Left side of engine and I believe it is vertical, should have two lines hooked to it. The book shows it below the air cleaner.

  4. #4D6Cfarmer2022-07-06 18:41

    Ok, I see it I think.

  5. #5John C.2022-07-09 12:17

    What do you have installed on the back of the tractor? Winches are far more likely to put water in the transmission.

  6. #6kshansen2022-07-09 13:09

    You might want to have the oil tested to see if it is actually coolant or just rain water. Not sure how some will react to my other suggestion. But one fast way to tell if there is coolant in the oil is to dip a finger tip in the white foamy oil and touch it to the tip of your tongue. If it has coolant in it it's easy to tell, sicky sweet taste. If just rain water it will just taste like oil. Now I'm not saying to drink a cup of it just a drop in the tip of tongue then spit it out!

  7. #7D6Cfarmer2022-07-10 13:49

    I have a ripper on back of my dozer, doesn’t get used a whole lot. The reason I think it’s anti freeze is it kinda has a sweet smell when it gets hot… I did price a oil cooler and it’s $1350+ $550 core, so going go that route and hope that’s it. I will tear it apart first to see if I can see anything wrong with it

  8. #8ahart2022-07-10 15:26

    You can take your powertrain lines off of the cooler and pressurize the cooling system to check the cooler for leaks.

  9. #9chidog2022-07-10 21:50

    If it is coolant it can turn into gray jelly stuff in oil.

  10. #10Mcrafty12022-07-11 05:18
  11. #11Mcrafty12022-07-12 05:18

    When was the last time you changed the oil in the trans/torque converter? Condensation can look like a lot of water in oil. I recently bought my D6C and the oil was contaminated with water...color looked sorta like coffee with way too much milk in it, I dumped the oil, changed the filters put in fresh TO4 oil and it cleared up mostly....I have been using the machine since and what little that was left in the system has 'cooked off' and now the oil looks like new. This is all being said assuming that you don't know how long it has had water in the system, if it was clean one day and contaminated the next you have other problems. The odor you smell may just be the nature of the oil you have in the machine now, the oil in my machine has a sweetish smell to it when it get hot too.