Looking for a nose cone for a delco 24 volt starter for a 1957 Caterpillar 955 I see videos of grinding a new one to fit but I am afraid there is not much strength left and could not end well for the starter and flywheel if It broke.
Mine has a factory 24v early style Delco 40MT starter on it with remote mount solenoid, but it's an inertia starter and is hard to find. I searched acmoc.org and here is Old Magnet's reply to someone wanting the same information: "First things first.... How much clearance do you have for a solenoid mounted starter? I know it's been done on the 955 but I seem to remember clearance issues. The for sure fit is the original inertia type starter but they can be hard to come by. These have a remote mounted solenoid and are 24V. To do the conversion the 42MT starter takes the least room. It needs to be a right hand mount version, clockwise rotation. No matter which starter you get you most likely will throw away the straight tooth drive and drive end housing to be replaced by a 11 tooth RH helix version and Delco #1988748 drive end housing." You may have to index or clock the nose cone to make the solenoid fit in that space, and may have to locate it on the bottom side.
Along with the 1988748 drive end housing and helical drive gear the best fit is with a 12 hole lever housing on the 42MT (10476030). Assemble with a 5/8x 1-3/4 button head cap screw in the hole that is almost covered by the solenoid mount...(uses a 3/8" extend reach ball end allen drive) This combination allows the solenoid to stay in the vertical direction and just clears the pony clutch housing and frame.
Good info for me too...
Hey thanks guys for reaching out I got some information now . I can always count on Old Magnet that's to everyone. I will post an update on how I am making out I got leads to follow now