Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Water Temp?

Pauly17 · 2013-12-12 16:42

I have a 2000 Pete with a 3406E 475HP and was wondering what the temp should be when the fan clutch turns on? It was up around 212 and didn't turn on yet so I turned it on manually. No lights, bells or whistles went off so Im sure all is well but was wondering if I should check into this further.. Thanks in advance for your help..

Replies7
  1. #1JDOFMEMI2013-12-12 19:28

    I don't know if it is right, but my 2000 KW with a 550 horse 3406E don't turn on until somewhere around 215 to 220

  2. #2Pauly172013-12-12 19:43

    Thanks Jerry, someone else said there's turn on around 217.. I have a 3406C and that turns on around 200 so I wasn't sure.. Thanks for your response! Paul

  3. #3mike in idaho2013-12-13 19:45

    My '99 KW 475 horse 3406E turns the fan on at 230°. Don't be afraid to run it a bit warm, you will get better mileage and keep the oil cleaner around 220°.

  4. #4Pauly172013-12-13 20:33

    Thanks mike I have a kw 3406C too and the fan turns on around 200 so when I saw this climbing above 210 I wasn't sure if this is the norm. Thanks for the post!

  5. #5BlazinSS9342013-12-13 22:48

    Also keep in mind many stock dash clusters have dummy gauges! The respond slowly and are really only there as an estimate. GM is notorious for this, my ECT will be at the straight up 12'oclock position reading 210 on the dash, plug in a scan tool or gauge and it will ready anywhere between 187-219.

  6. #6DoyleX2013-12-14 10:46

    Find the waterneck by the thermostat. Should be a temp switch on there for the fan. Closes the circuit with and see if the fan comes on. Start there and work your way to the solenoid valve or backwards to the power delivery side. Being that age it might need replacing

  7. #7Poohbear552013-12-14 12:06

    Our fleet of '06 Kw T800s all run c12 cats. Fan cuts in anywhere from 210-220. Our W900s run 3406 550 horse. same thing range 205-225