Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

We have all done this before right?

Dirtman2007 ยท 2008-02-04 21:05

Maybe if it had a trench bucket...

Replies41
  1. #1rino14942008-02-04 21:25

    Yes, but not with that big of a bucket. I usually sit along side of the trench at a angle and clean it up.

  2. #2tylermckee2008-02-04 21:29

    Same here, most times our soil wouldnt let us do that.

  3. #3iron kid2008-02-04 21:33

    been dump in doing with 48" bucket before

  4. #4Reuben2008-02-04 21:36

    How come it will not let me post pics unless I shrink them down to about nothing....

  5. #5Eric2008-02-04 21:38

    Oh heck yeah. Got to with a 12'' bucket if you want a good clean ditch!!

  6. #6Dirtman20072008-02-04 21:41

    The biggest one I stradeled was one dug with at 48" bucket on our volvo 210. trench was probably 54" wide and in some rock hard clay. Don't like hanging over anything deeping than 6', just too many things can go wrong. now try to do that in some soft sandy soil and bye bye tench walls

  7. #7BIGBEN20042008-02-04 21:52

    It is all good untill you feel the back part of the tracks slide on down in the trence. Then you go, "Ah man I am in trouble" Don't ask me how I would know that.........

  8. #8Burnout2008-02-04 21:54

    Been there... done that. I think the largest I straddled was a 60" with a 245.. but the ground was harder than the back of god's head.

  9. #9Reuben2008-02-04 22:16

    I have several pics of both the tracks perpendicular and parallel with the ditch line but cant get them to upload.

  10. #10Dirtman20072008-02-04 22:20

    Just have to resize them to fit. how you like the daewoo? I'm guess its 1996 - 98 model We have two for them, both 220 size machines. they seem to get better every year.

  11. #11Reuben2008-02-04 22:25

    I needed a extra machine so I leased that 170 for a month.It had a very very roomy cab.Im 6'2" and I could stretch my feet out enought that I could lock my knees.It was a alright machine.BUt I never would have bought it.I will say it was probably the quietest excvtr I have ever been around.My other operators didnt care for it to much.

  12. #12Dirtman20072008-02-04 22:39

    yeah were selling our 97 model. finally reached 7000+ hrs and a few probelms are starting to show. Just can't keep up with the newer machines we have. now the 2000 model daewoo 220 we have is a totally differnent story, 5000 hrs and nothing has been done to it as far as repairs. guess the next machine will be a doosan...

  13. #13Reuben2008-02-04 22:46

    Trying another pic....side hill...the building gives you an idea how steep the grade is..that is if the pic uploads

  14. #14Reuben2008-02-04 22:48

    Okay I think I got the pic thing figured out...Thanks.......:drinkup

  15. #15BIGBEN20042008-02-04 23:22

    That is just a little steep. That would be a good job for one of those walking spider excavators.

  16. #16tylermckee2008-02-04 23:39

    as long as you can stay on the hill without sliding down, it aint too steep.

  17. #17qball2008-02-04 23:53

    how else do you change the oil?

  18. #18Reuben2008-02-05 00:47

    as long as you can stay on the hill without sliding down, it aint too steep......................I wouldnt live by that rule......You get your center of gravity to high on a hill like that you will tip her....

  19. #19rino14942008-02-05 07:26

    Reuben, what part of PA are you from ?

  20. #20digger242j2008-02-05 07:28

    That hill doesn't look very steep at all. The house is really leaning over though... Here's a tree you can plant in the yard:

  21. #21apritchard2008-02-05 09:14

    i think that that track perpendicular to the trench would be the only way to do it or, clean the trench good as you dig it the you have nothing to worry about.

  22. #22Lashlander2008-02-05 10:22

    Steep?

  23. #23Reuben2008-02-05 12:16

    I will post pics of the same site from different angles when I get home 2-nite.If you notice the trees in my pic are running parallel with the house walls.

  24. #24Reuben2008-02-05 12:18

    Cameron County aka north central

  25. #25JDOFMEMI2008-02-05 12:51

    Lash Thanks for the reminder on what steeep really is. Like posted above, if you can sit without sliding down, its not too steep. Regarding the first pic, accross the trench, I have had to do that many times. Usually its for culverts through an already built road, and no room to dig off either end. Just dig each end to the center, then jump the trench a couple places, clean out underneath, and your good. Not all soil will let you do that though, then you dig it out from the side, and have a bit bigger trench is all.

  26. #26dayexco2008-02-05 13:24

    we dig w/one excavator, compact with other. of course the digging typically outpaces the compacting. at the end of the day when we quit laying pipe, we throw another compactor on digging machine, and have to straddle the ditch like that to get started just about daily up the line so both machines can compact and get everything closed up before we leave at nite. you know what it's like to have an unexpected downpour to come thru, and flood your ditch!

  27. #27digger242j2008-02-05 14:00

    Yeah, I did notice. I was kidding. That's why I included the tree picture. It looks nice and straight, but the parking lot and buildings are on a heckuva slope...

  28. #28CascadeScaper2008-02-05 18:22

    One philosophy of mine: If your feet aren't on the front glass, you're not steep enough!:drinkup

  29. #29Dirtman20072008-02-05 18:40

    Another one is to keep the door shut, that way you don't fall out when you spin around.

  30. #30Burnout2008-02-05 19:50

    Does this count as steep? a 385 walking out of a 20ft deep trench.

  31. #31MMSOCAL2008-02-05 19:53

    I've had the pleasure of doing doing both across and with the trench with a 330b with a sloppy oversized bucket. The trench averaged out at about 8 to 10 foot so not to much to worry about. I'll see if i can come up with some pictures. As for steep i've done some rip rap work on less than a 2/1 slope, and i've ftclimbed some slopes with were you track up 10ft and slide back 3ft, thats the kind of jobs that keep you going.

  32. #32BIGBEN20042008-02-05 19:55

    How about this is this steep? http://spyderhoesolutions.ca/forums/index.php?action=gallery&g2_itemId=449

  33. #33digger1322008-02-05 21:22

    It's not steep until you have to hook up the winch tractor.

  34. #34BIGBEN20042008-02-05 21:41

    Did you see the picture I put up. That is useing a winch to lower that spider excavator down that cliff to work. They are just plain crazy. ointhead

  35. #35Reuben2008-02-05 22:00

    The best thing to do is wear your seat belt no matter what you are doing

  36. #36digger1322008-02-07 01:51

    Missed that pic on the first go around, their crazy meter must go to "11" The worst I've seen was working on a 70% slope hanging off 3 winch tractors.

  37. #37BIGBEN20042008-02-07 08:06

    I don't understand what they will be able to do with that machine when it gets down to the cliff. Also what would they be doing on the side of that cliff anyways.:beatsme

  38. #38digger1322008-02-07 16:09

    Probably have a hammer or drill on it.

  39. #39Construct'O2008-02-07 17:28

    Awesome picture there Burnout :drinkup!!!!!!! I'm impressed,espeically for the size machine doing the climbing.Thanks for sharing as usually.:usa

  40. #40Dozerboy2008-02-12 17:43

    X2 the 385s I've ran had a hard enough time tracking on flat ground let alone a slope, but the buckets a big help if the ground is hard enough. I personally don't stratle or cross trench lines unless cave-ins isn't a concern. Most of the time I can dig it just as fast from the side or I'll do some backfilling.

  41. #41dirt digger2008-02-12 18:10

    yup been there, straddled that...i even straddle ditches with the backhoe if i get a part that caves in and needs to be cleaned out.