Hello all, I've got a problem with my ford 655d backhoe. The hydraulics are weak. It really gets bad the longer you use it. The hydraulic reservoir is hot to touch after using. The liquid is clear. We changed the pump a year or so ago. Does anyone have any thoughts? Ty In advance Erin
It could be a piece of dirt stuck in the pressure relief valve. As far as it getting worse the more you use the machine, it's because the oil is getting thinner as it gets hotter and its easier for the oil to go were its not supposed to. I had a loader tractor that did the same thing but it was the hydraulic pump. I replaced it and the problems went away. Was the pump new or a different one, I made that mistake the first time around.
The pump was new. Where would the pressure relief valve be? Ty Erin
Chewy, I hate to say this, but that is classic for a worn pump. Like Rust Farmer said, it could be oil bypassing in a relief valve or somewhere else in the system. Usually a weak relief valve doesn't heat the oil as much as a bad pump because it sends oil back to the tank where it cools. I would get a 5000 psi gauge and check the relief valve settings. You can get them pretty cheap from Northern Tool or other places as pressure washer parts. BTW Rust Farmer, I like that screen name, I grow a pretty good crop of that myself.
Where is the pressure relief valve? Erin
check for a screen/filter between hyd tank and pump intake could be packing from cylinders
Without looking at your machine, I don't know. There is usually some sort of relief valve on the controls for both the loader and for the backhoe controls. If both the loader and the backhoe on your machine is weak then I would start at the pump and work forward from there. If your going to try working on your own machine, in my opinion send some money on a service manual it might save you money in the long run.
Ok, after further inspection I think I found the backhoe valve and it is leaking. I will also look for a screen/ filter between the tank and pump. Erin
I havnt tore into the backhoe yet to find the actual problem bc we've been trying to get crops in. I had a mess to clean up today in a fence row and noticed that my extendaho pedal would only extend the boom out. When I pushed it the other way it would not come back in. The wierd thing is that if I kept the pedal engaged and pulled back on the dipper stick lever it would work. Is this sort of thing common with a bad relief valve? Erin
If you find the part of the hydraulic system that is hotter than the rest of the system you have probably found the problem. If the pump is getting hot first, here's your sign, if there's a port relief that's squealing constantly or getting hot, here's your sign. If you take a flashlight and put behind the oil cooler and you can see any debris anywhere, you just have a dirty cooler. If you have ANY hot air that is being recirculated into the cooler, this is the problem.
Update Ty logsrus for the reply. Today I was using the bh again and it overheated. I took the cover off of the oil cooler and radiator. The oil cooler was pretty clean, but the rad was packed. I'll try to clean it out tomorrow if it rains. I hope this is the only problem, but think its only part of it. Ty Erin
check to make sure that the weather striping and sealing gaskets are in place and doing there job. Keep in mind that the air going into the rad is in a lower pressure (air) area than the air leaving the fan. So any leak that you may have around the rad will let the higher pressure hot air flow to the low pressure side where you want cooler air. You cant cool your system with hot air. You have to keep the hot side hot and the cool side cool. The same goes for the fan, if there is not some barrier to prevent recirculation of the air from each side of the fan it wont draw air through the rad.
I'll look for seals, but my first guess is that there are none. I didn't see any on the air cooler. Ty Erin
the shroud around the fan causing the air to come thru a clean rad. clean rad good espc. the bottom hyd oil/dust
Mine is a Case 580SE, but when I took my oil cooler off to have the leak fixed I was amazed at all the crap between there that I could not see before. An oil leak in the cooler will cause all kinds of grass, rats nest, dirt whatever to stick in there. I was amazed at how cool everything ran after getting the oil cooler and radiator all cleaned up. You may have other problems but cleaning the cooler and radiator would be a good starting point. Be careful with a high pressure washer if used at all. Straighten the fins as best possible. I use Purple Dragon cleaner for the oil. (Not Purple Power)
Ty Bowen for the reply and pic. This looks pretty much like mine does. Erin