So how are the machines starting in all that icy weather across the country? Yeah seems like an extreme weather event every week or so. Similar to all the other extremes, we have and do enjoy lately.
Propane is a no go. Gotta keep the forklift indoors or it won't start. The diesel and gas stuff seems to be ok.
Make sure the fuel is treated, use a torch preheat the air in intake hit the key.
I won't run equipment in this weather. Anything below about 0F is a no go for me. Not worth it just too hard on stuff. Pickup is fine as it's parked inside.
I agree, stay in and set by the fire.
Minus 40 here yesterday morning, right through till 4 pm., then warmed up to minus 34C. My battery in my truck just started the truck, and was replaced in the afternoon in a warm shop. Wind today was bad as well as the minus 34C. Shovelled outside for 45 min., straight with special clothes on and I am okay. Lots of frozen doors and anything not plugged in is a no go. Simon C
Never got above -30°C here at all today. Supposed to be -36°C tomorrow morning. Glad I put a brand new battery in the pickup last month.
Yeah just looked up what temp propane stays liquid, hoping the heater wouldn't stop. -45, it boils at -44 so anything over that should be good.
I started another thread about troubles in the damn cold. Thankfully got both vehicles home and plugged back in. Hopefully no more problems and can't wait for it to warm up next week. This -30 to -40'sC crap is a PIA.
Here in the UK we’re experiencing what we think is cold spell with lows of minus 9 etc.We’re not geared up for it,so it causes havoc.It’s probably not worth the cost of making things winter proof etc.We went from minus 9 to plus 13 in 36 hours this week.
One of my forktrucks is a gas truck.It tends to splutter out at around zero.I tend to keep the staff off it at this time of year,as the start it up and drive it straight out into the yard without letting it warm up.I start it myself and try to stall it out to build the heat up as soon as possible in the workshop.Oncevthe regulator opens and the hot water gets to the regulator,she’ll work outside no problem. However,below -3 and she froze up again.
It's going from 40ish degrees F, here in Dayton, down to about 3 below or so in about 12 hours tonight. 50 mph wind chill is expected to make it feel like -25 to -30. That is not terribly common for us, though zero degree temps are. We are expecting snow as well, but not enough for me to worry about plowing, so I won't be starting anything, I don't think. If my little Honda Civic can get out of the driveway we will all be fine, as will the neighbors I may plow out. In the past my backhoe hasn't liked to start when it's below 30F but I'm hoping that changes now that it's in the barn. I'd added a bunch of dirt (mud) to my barn floor, in an attempt to raise the floor up, prior to putting down gravel. After my attempts to flatten it out and finding it too wet I'm just pushing it around and making foot and half deep ruts. I got worried about all that mud biting onto the tires and freezing there, so I moved the backhoe, last night, to a flattened spot. I went out there with the intention of sliding some 2x8s under the tires, then I realized that the dirt I'd put down last week was compressed enough that I wasn't causing any ruts there, much easier. Stay warm, y'all!
Apparently wait times around here for a tow are over 60 hours and 20 for a battery boost. Just reinforces my opinion that you should be as self-sufficient and prepared as possible if you're going to venture out in this weather.
Windchill's last night in the -50's in parts of Alberta!