Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

F150 stalled and hard to start back up

Welder Dave · 2022-12-22 00:38

I have a 2015 F150 with a 2.7 Eco-Boost engine. Truck has never given me any problems in 132,000kms. Today in -32C I had to go rescue my partner when her car wouldn't start at work. My truck was plugged in so started right up. I drove about 20 minutes to her work and got her car started. Sitting in my truck idling waiting for her car to warm up my truck just died. I had 3/4 of a tank of gas. Tried to start it back up and it wouldn't fire. After about 4 tries it seemed to kind of run at about 400rpm for a few seconds. I decided to leave it for about 5 minutes. After about 4 more tries with the throttle partly depressed it ran for about 10 seconds at 400rpm then fully caught and went up to about 3000rpm. Then it was good after that and idled normal. Went out for supper since we were out in the bitter cold and no further problems. I thought maybe a frozen fuel line from a bit of water and maybe the warm engine bay thawed it but don't know. Anybody experience this or have an idea what would cause it on a fully warmed up engine?

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2022-12-22 01:44

    Do you use E10 gasoline? haven't heard of frozen gas lines since we use 10% alcohol year round. All I can think is to put a code reader on it and see what the live data says, like if it was stuck thinking the air was warmer or colder?

  2. #2Welder Dave2022-12-22 01:51

    Not sure on the gas but never had problems with gas in Alberta before. Some pumps say up to 10% ethanol. I have to get blood work tomorrow and it will be even colder so hopefully it was a very isolated incident.

  3. #392U 34062022-12-22 08:19

    I've heard the Ecoboosts had issues with condensation in the air to air at one time. Don't know if they've rectified that on the newer ones or not.

  4. #4mekanik2022-12-22 08:37

    Did you use the truck to boost the battery in the other vehicle? If so a voltage spike could have caused the problem.

  5. #5Welder Dave2022-12-22 15:20

    No didn't use it to boost. Friend said a throttle body issue would give the same symptoms.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2022-12-23 08:01

    Don’t use Bio-Fuel.. it will gell on u.. Idk how many days u have freezings temps but it can’t be as bad as mine.. Mine won’t start in the rain.!!!

  7. #7DDoug2022-12-23 08:03

    I have never heard of Bio fuel offered for gas. Ford 2.7 EcoBoost Engine Specs, Problems, Reliability, oil, F-150, Bronco (motorreviewer.com)

  8. #8Zewnten2022-12-28 20:22

    Does he mean E-85?