Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wedge connector rehab

elkjunkie ยท 2019-03-08 23:44

The wedge connector on this mini is really worn. I tink the top of the wege should bind the top of bucket lug and the bottom of the wedge should bind on the connector BEFORE the wedge bottoms oit in the groove. I think I should try building weld up on the mating surfaces. The only other solution I have is a bigger wedge. Am I on the right track here or should I go in another direction?

Replies10
  1. #1Ronsii2019-03-09 01:17

    I believe we have a similar connector on our case 36, I put some weld on the wedge itself on top of the sloped part. How many attachments do you have? and do they all fit the same?

  2. #2elkjunkie2019-03-09 18:06

    Thanks! Hadn't occured to me to weld up the wedge. I have just 2 buckets. The 4 foot pan bucket is much worse than the 2 foot tooth. The cross plate between lugs has two channels worn in it.

  3. #3John C.2019-03-12 21:02

    Your problem is just as much in the lugging as the wedge itself. What I liked to do in the past was find a new bucket with the same type of lugging and trace a pattern out on a piece of cardboard. I'd use that as a template to help in pad welding the original lugs enough to tighten things up some.

  4. #4Welder Dave2019-03-12 21:57

    Use some build up rod on the wedge and the ears and it will last a lot longer and not mushroom and pound out like normal welding rods.

  5. #5Wytruckwrench2019-03-13 11:11

    Dave, what build up rod would you recommend?

  6. #6Welder Dave2019-03-14 01:10

    Something like this. https://www.esabna.com/us/en/produc.../hardfacing-electrodes/stoody-build-up-lh.cfm

  7. #7Wytruckwrench2019-03-14 02:14

    Thank you. I will get some to keep in the truck.

  8. #8elkjunkie2019-03-17 19:15

    Thanks for the info Dave All I have is a Lincoln 255 and I don't even know what wire is in it other than 035. I already used it to build 1/2 inch on the coupling and have a good fit with the small bucket. I haven't touched the pan bucket lugs yet so they need some work to fit like the tooth bucket. What I lack in welding skills I make up for with grinding skills.

  9. #9Ronsii2019-03-17 19:37

    That's the beauty of welding... if you add too much you just grind it off.... and if you grind too much just weld some more

  10. #10Welder Dave2019-03-18 00:54

    You can get build up wire too. https://mam.esab.com:8443/assets/1/...A9470F9F3/V410070-en_US-FactSheet_Main-01.pdf