I am looking at a service truck and the gvw is only 26000 is that enough? It has a 14 ft service bed with 10000 lb crane and a 60 cfm compressor on a kenworth t300! I would like to put a eng oil and hyd oil and waste oil tanks on it would that be over weight? what does your weigh and how is it set up? Thanks Jerry
Pictures? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here you go
Whats she scaling empty? I doubt you have a whole lot of room there to add much in the way of tanks and product there. Depends on what you carry for tools Iimagine.
Rzucker I don't know I have not purchased it yet I am trying to get ducks in a row so I am not sorry later! We do have an oil vac on a trailer so if I cant put oil on this truck I'm not up the creek! I have a budget so I cant just go and buy a new truck set up like I want! Thanks Jerry
That seems awfully light for a truck that size, my service truck is right at 21,000 on the scale give or take a couple of pounds and its only an F-550 with no oil tanks. I know the truck my company just ordered me is a Pete 337 with a 14' IMT Dominator and 10k crane and its GVW is I believe about 28k. I know 2k pounds does not seem like much but adding oil tanks adds a lot of weight.
you will over load it I have 2005 pete 60 gal hydraulic tank, miller 225 waste oil tank, it hit the scale at 28800.the door tag is 26000
I have a Maintainer bed that's longer, has an additional side box than the one in your pic, 15K crane, hyd compressor, welder, hyd tank for welder and crane, 50 gal hyd tank for machines, 100 gal waste oil tank, and 30 gal water tank on a 32K Pete 335. I weigh in right around 30K with nothing additional in the bed. For what you have in the pic, I'd rather have a 32K chassis.
are you sure that it's not under rated to get under the 26, 001 pds CDL requirement. does it have air brakes on the front axle if it does its more than likely over 26,000 GVW . If you don't have CDL license you can't drive one over 26,000 PDS GVW anyway
get the most GVWR you can afford..... it will be close (if not) overloaded anyway I don't think there is a service truck on the road that has anything in the bed that's not overweight, every truck I have had before this KW, I have now has been overweight!!! The downside of bigger trucks is the license,insurance,road taxes are way more $$$$
CDL is not a problem I drive heavy haul now! I talked to the guy that set it up and owned it today and he said with tools and sum parts he weighed in at 26,000! But I figured that was all relative to how many tools and sounds like some of you guys got a whole lot more than me. Maybe this isn't the right way to think but this truck is in my budget and I want a 14 ft bed for the room. now I don't have any room for filters but as you can see my truck is small! It was a utility bed that we converted. Yes the previous owner told me that he tagged it at 26,000 because he couldn't get a cdl. I called vin # into kenworth and it has a 10,000lb front axle and 20,000 rear but the gvw is 26,000 and I called the state of ks this morn and they said if that is what is on the title that is what it is no ands ifs or buts:Banghead
Well, it would definitely be an upgrade from what you have now.
Ive been trying to figure out this "Derated" service truck thing, My F800 is fullblown 32K GVW and i pay through the nose for license and insurance. Plus DOT inspections and the "random" drug testing that goes with a CDL truck. People wonder why I drive a Chevy 3500 most of the time. Sheesh.
It's real easy RZucker. Whenever you're dealing with NTSB or DOT, it's all as clear as mud.
My truck body is 1 door longer than that T300 and is only a 26K chassis. I am real close to 26K on a daily basis w/o a big load in the bed. We licensed the truck for 32k just so I don't get stopped every time I roll thru the scales. I sure wish it was a 32-34k chassis. Air brakes and a 9spd would be nice again.
Very good point
thanks for the replies guys helps a lot! Jerry
DEERETRACKS, I don't understand how you licenced a 26k for more than its rated? Here in Pa you can register lower not up
overworked if I understand ks law right I could put 48000 on the door so that it would cover it all when I pull a trailer! on semi I have 85500 for that is the total gross can have when pulling trailer so would a service truck be any difference? Jerry
Correct, you can buy as much tonnage as you want. I don't go over GVW very often but I have to pass the scales all the time and it just saves the hassle of worrying how close I am on weight. Tire and spread wise I'm good for 34k it's just the chassis rating that gets me.
???? In Pa, my service truck is 33k , 12 up front, 21 out back, thats the most I can weigh,
Well I'm not up on all the rules but I called the authorities that are over that in ks and he said I could not go over 26,000 with that truck unless I was pulling a trailer! But then if just my truck weighs 26000 without a trailer and I hook a trailer on there is guna be more weight on rear axle so how that works I don't know! Truck is rated for 10 on front and 20 on rear so if I hooked trailer on would the 20 on rear apply then? Under new ks law if a pickup hooks on to a trailer and is over 10,001 lbs it then has to have a dot # and I thnk driver has to have cdl!
Pa same on trailer and pick up. I believe 17k and up combo needs dot #, trucks registered 17 and up are semi annual inspection and medical card. You should be able to register your truck to 30k.