Anybody think its possible to get a W900A tare weight down to 11,000 lbs (or less)? Daycab, shortened frame, single drive axle on FL air ride, 3406/RTO 15 speed. No 5th wheel or deck, single 100 gal fuel tank. Willing to delete one stack if I have to lol.
Tough to get to 11-13.5 is pushing it-what rear axle are you going to use. Three batteries all 12 volt. 14" clutch? 1710 u-joints? No Luberfiner? One filter housing? Single exhaust-short? Jump seat? Aluminum wheels on 22.5 295/75? Narrow bumper?
20k Rockwell on Airliner, 12 foot back of cab to end of frame, 12k steer. Have 4 batteries but can cut it back to 3. Was going to run dual Vortox cleaners and dual short stacks. No 5th wheel, pintle, headache rack etc. Bare rails. All aluminum rims. I think the big chunk of the weight is the 3406 and Brakesaver. Could probably shave a huge chunk of weight off by either ditching the retarder or going to a smaller engine and a 9 speed.
What in the world are you building is what I want to know
I don’t think it’s going to happen. Where would you loose 2,000 lbs from? Like you said the engine is to heavy. Why do you need it under 11k?
Weight limit on the street I live. RV's are exempted but I don't know if I can convince the city of that even though it won't be registered as a commercial truck. Just a bad*** daily driver.
No one will know/care if it's that close, I wouldn't waste the time/money on it for that reason. Also I always thought it was anything over a 1 ton is a no go in residential if anyone pushes it, regardless of weight? I've never had an issue with 5500's when i've owned them and parked at my house. A single axle tractor does look much bigger then a 5500 though, even if the weight is similar.
Retarder huh, Loose it you don't need it anyway. And single stacks are making a come back in older trucks.
It would be a lot easier without the big cat, and ditch the brakesaver and 15speed. A m11 or 8.3 with a 10 speed would be a lot lighter. 3406 is knocking on 3,000lbs, a 8.3 would be more like 1600lbs. A 15 speed down to a 10 speed or 5 speed allison would save you 300lbs, and there's probably another 3-400lbs in the brakesaver. If you could find a 8.3 and allison from a military truck or a bus, it wouldn't be that hard of a conversion, all manual control. And you would ditch around 2,000lbs. Could also resize down the radiator, and get a aluminum one. All stripped out you will never need the 15, the brakesaver, or the 3406. Super singles aluminums on the drive would help you a little also- but it would be helpless getting around.
Why not go to a 50-60 gallon fuel tank also? If its just a joyrider you sure don't need 100 gallons riding around.
Its in about 500 pieces at a relative's house right now. Just thinking about when its back together. Would love to park it in the back yard if I could when its done. Worst case scenario it just stays where it is and I have to drive out to go use it. Not the end of the world. I suppose another route is just put a small RV hitch on the frame and put something like "Personal Use RV" or "Recreational Vehicle" on the door. Not that it'd have any legal bearing on anything but might convince the city its my camping rig. Ultimately I'd like it to be my RV toter down the road anyways.
Ton of work modifying to a M11, 8.3 or any other small power plant, you will also have to install a charge air cooler with those engines. A BC Cummins dry weight is 2,750, even less if used a non after cooled 250. Plus you will have to use the special shift tower or Eaton's special shift linkage so shifter be correct. Low-pro 22.5's weigh a bunch less than any other tire. Below is a fine example of a real light truck.
That Freightliner above only had 0.250 thick frame rails.
That's what mine's got now. 1/4". Its days of dragging sticks out of the woods are over.
If you removed the retarder you will also change oil cooler and oil pan, 700 lbs less. 39mt starter 15 lbs less. 10 spd 270 lbs less. Forgot different oil pump too. Biggest issue is what it weighs now.
That's a lot of stuff to swap. Better off finding a lot to store it on lol.
Air starter! Nobody has mentioned that, yet. Maybe get by with a single battery. Your neighbors will love you. I hear ya, 92U. My trailer court limits us to 9,999 GVW.
Print up some decals for the door that say 10,850 pounds GVW. No one will ever doubt you.
Sometimes the solution is so simple you don't even think of it
Until the right RCMP walks up and puts a eye to it .
Maybe he'll put his blind eye on it.
They couldn't careless. It's a city bylaw issue, not a police issue as long as it's registered as a personal vehicle and not commercial they can't get you on being off a truck route either and it doesn't apply to you.
Good.