Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Weird day today

Welder Dave · 2019-05-31 19:01

Well my job officially ended today and it just feels kind of weird. The tech department I was in was eliminated so it's like the opposite of getting rewarded for doing a good job. I got an exceeds expectations performance review back in January and a 4% raise only to be out of a job now. Looking forward to having time to do my own things but still feels strange.

Replies36
  1. #1kshansen2019-05-31 19:39

    Well hope things work out for you. I kind of know how it feels after 45 years at one job kind of hurt when no one tried to talk me out of retiring when I hit 65. It's not like they had five other experienced mechanics working there to pick up the load. Just one guy who was a part time helper in the shop for the last couple months. Two years after I left I stopped in to say hi one day and he mentioned they did not know how to recharge an accumulator on a crusher hydraulic system. I reached up on the shelf next to him and pulled down a book and flipped it open to the page with the spec's!

  2. #2Bls repair2019-05-31 20:29

    Most of the pencil pushers in the office don’t have a clue what goes on in the shop or in the field . They think you can put anybody in a job and it will get done . When it doesn’t work out they can’t say to much because it was their decisions it would make them look bad,so they work around it (sub the work out to someone else) I worked out of a union hall so I was use to getting laid off when job was done.

  3. #3boaterri2019-05-31 20:38

    When I took a buy out a number of years ago the only good by I got was the HR lady coming by 6 hours before the end of my shift demanding my card key and ID. I politely told her to stuff it as I was an employee until 11:45pm and that I would slide them under her office door. Office weenies have no clue as to what the workers do or any appreciation of the collective knowledge held by those older workers.

  4. #4hosspuller2019-05-31 20:44

    Likely, they were all jealous of you. Wishing, they were in your shoes as you walked out the door. Being retired, is wonderful. Having one's financial and after work retirement plan in order is a blessing.

  5. #5hosspuller2019-05-31 20:49

    Welder Dave. In my life, when a door closed, another door opened. You might have to try the window but there's something better for you. I wish you well.

  6. #6Welder Dave2019-05-31 21:02

    They did give a good severance package, 23 weeks when all they had to give was 4.

  7. #7Old Doug2019-05-31 21:09

    I think know matter if the job was good or bad you get used to it and when it ends it leaves a hole that takes a while to fill with what has happen. Good luck i hope every thing works out.

  8. #8John C.2019-05-31 22:50

    The first couple of weeks are nice till you finish off the home projects. After that the wife started asking me if there was something I could outside of the house. By the end of the first month I was back knocking on doors of old contacts. Enjoy your time off and good luck on the next job.

  9. #9TVA2019-05-31 23:14

    In both Hebrew and Greek word Father means source, foundation provider and maintainer - that is a nature of a MAN. Of course it feels weird!!! For a while you deprived of means of fulfilling your wary essence! That’s before you’ll find something else! So just be calm, and everything will be just fine!!!

  10. #10crane operator2019-05-31 23:17

    Good luck Dave, the 23 weeks gives you a little time to figure out what you want to do next.

  11. #11TVA2019-05-31 23:37

    I’m not sorry that I started my own gig! All I hear around me is: “ it’s hard to find qualified help”!

  12. #12Ct Farmer2019-05-31 23:49

    When I 'retired' from a regular job to farm full time and help take care of my aging parents it was really weird in the beginning. I was lost. It was different from vacation. There is no going back. Part of that was nice, other times it was an adjustment. Of course farming 7 days a week keeps you busy. I tried some part time specialty as-you-need-me work but got bored with it. So I stopped. Funny thing is now I often forget what day of the week it is. And you know what? I like it. I,m not rich but nobody is yelling at me or asking me to fix their mistakes. Still need to find time to go fishing though!

  13. #13Welder Dave2019-05-31 23:55

    I'm hoping the new flat track is popular. Want to have the grand opening on June 9 so will be busy next week finishing it off.

  14. #14hosspuller2019-06-01 00:03

    How many days are there in a week for retired people ??? Answer: Seven days … Six Saturdays and one Sunday

  15. #15TVA2019-06-01 00:09

    There’s always a yoke for available neck!!!

  16. #16joe--h2019-06-01 00:50

    Funny thing is now I often forget what day of the week it is. Got to remember what day the dump is closed. Or go home and unload it so the racoons don't spread it all over the drive. Joe H

  17. #17thepumpguysc2019-06-01 07:10

    Amen to that Joe.. I gotta quit askin the wife that.. I "finally" wrote it on a note & stuck it to the frig.. 3 things I GOTTA remember>>What DAY the dump is closed.. What TIME the bank is closed & what TIME the Post Office closes for lunch..

  18. #18Mother Deuce2019-06-01 09:09

    Conceptually I love the idea of retirement. However, it not my plan to stop... ever. People in my family have a funny way of fading on retirement. I think that I will just keep bashing ahead.

  19. #19Ct Farmer2019-06-01 09:35

    Wait... Y'all still have a dump? They outlawed them things decades ago around here. Brought more home from the dump then we took. I live in the wrong place.

  20. #20thepumpguysc2019-06-01 10:28

    Yup.. a DUMP.. & good Country Livin'.. Its funny, out here every gas station has a "home-cooked meal" counter.. Fresh biscuits & chicken, tater wedges.. beer & lotto.. Lol I was talking to a secr. at my old work yesterday.. only 2 guys in the fuel shop & only 1 actually turning wrenches.. & work was SOOOO SLOW 1 guy took off on Friday.. THATS WHY I bailed.. I would go in, stand around for 4 hrs, mop the floor, get yelled at for not doin anything & go home.. & at 100 miles round trip, ya cant afford to do that to often.. I would stretch the time out to 30hrs aweek just to keep my full time bennies.. & anything over 30 seemed like O/T money.. lol I guess I bailed in the nick of time.?? I HATE standing around.!!!

  21. #21TVA2019-06-01 10:54

    Hey Thepumpguysc! About stupid laws and all that! I know that conservative minded people moving in drawers from Seattle area and generally West Coast to your neck of the woods! Charlotte and Raleigh is pretty much filled up and overpriced, now it’s Spartanburg- Grenville and Columbia area! I guess when there will get filled up they will find something else! And it’s not only about high cost of living on west coast , it’s more because of liberal stupidity and laws they passing that get people to move out!

  22. #22Raildudes dad2019-06-01 11:11

    I'm going to be 69 in a month. Still working (civil engineering) for the local county highway department. I start year 48 in 25 days. I'm still there because I literally love what I do. Short story - I watched one of the local freeways being built - every day for a couple years. Dad said get a Civil Engineering degree. So for the last 47 years I get paid to do what I did for fun in the summertime. A month ago last Friday i have spine surgery # 4. Fused L3 to L4 which was previously was fused to L5-S1. I was actually depressed sitting home. My son-in-law works from his home office - sometimes in his PJ's. I could never do that. But thinking of retirement, I'm really concerned that I'm not going to do well. Getting up and going to work gives my day structure. Last night I had my first night not sleeping in the post surgery sofa set up for back surgery. I didn't open my eyes until this morning 9:45. My first thought was it's Saturday . My second thought was I've messed this day up by sleeping in . We go to FL for 2 weeks. Same thing, sleep in to 8-8:30 and I feel like I messed up the day already. So I have to get my mind set into enjoying the lack of structure before I'll enjoy retirement but in the meantime I enjoy the daily grind

  23. #23hosspuller2019-06-01 13:17

    Funny about that … I work harder physically in retirement than I ever did on the job. It's all about one's retirement plan after work. Sit at home all day in front of a tv or computer screen is guaranteed to fade you away. I have animals and land. Both require me to get up and work... Physically and mentally. BUT... retirement is all about what I decide to do today, and tomorrow (if I wake at all ) Every new day is a blessing.

  24. #24DMiller2019-06-01 16:12

    I retired Sorta, just over a year and a half ago, Aug 1 will be two years. First Boredom set in, then projects I put off happened and got done. Got tired of looking at same walls and the wife still working so took a part time driving job that became anything but. Let that go away and back to retired, STILL have projects, little woman is 62 in five years where I am trying to stay physically able to ride and see the country once SHE retires. And YES I work hard now than the last 22 years working. Plant where I worked called this last winter, wanted me to come back PT and teach contractors the Rules to live by in the plant when working, gave them a dollar figure they could NOT stomach. They asked why so high to which I noted THEY needed MY capabilities, if was not appropriately compensated they could find someone else. They tried to ask yet again to be a training coach two months ago, same problem same response, have not called back since.

  25. #25Bls repair2019-06-01 16:20

    It’s funny that when your retired nobody thinks your time is worth anything.

  26. #26Mark2502019-06-01 17:49

    Good luck Dave hope you find your place in life . I retired 12 months ago to the day, and I still don't know how I ever found time to go to work. Good luck in your future endeavours

  27. #27Ronsii2019-06-01 19:40

    Good plan I know/knew far too many people that retired after holding very active working jobs, you gotta keep doing something similar or I think the body just figures it time is up!

  28. #28DMiller2019-06-01 21:17

    Saw my Father in law and a cousin then my own Dad decide to retire and just sit down awhile, they never got back up. My two brothers and I do not sit still, always Some thing going, heavy work, physical work and demanding so may not look so fit but better than many 2/3 our age. I got a wild hair Friday, when built house was having issues getting step treads in Ash to match floors, they have been here a year. Reason was not ordered til late was tried using flooring boards with Stair Nose instead, bad choice, that and the carpenter, Good Guy but not a floor installer did not put a backer down FIRST on the stringers, was all noisy and busted to bupkus. So I pulled, cleaned up and replaced with actual stair treads F and today. Other issue was Right side stringer was bowing down, you can just see the end of angle iron brace I installed last month to take that bow out on the upper half of that stringer, 1/4" x2" x 6' is in there.

  29. #29DMiller2019-06-01 21:22

    My brace, that will have sheet rock covering soon, and I will be hanging that too. Hung the brace top four bolts then slowly jacked it in to take pressure off stringer adding bolts as went, Through Bolted.

  30. #30Ronsii2019-06-01 21:41

    Nice work Yep, you gotta keep doing things or it's RIP time. I don't see a munster hinge

  31. #31funwithfuel2019-06-01 22:01

    Yeah, how's spot gonna get around?

  32. #32funwithfuel2019-06-01 22:06

    BTW, I wish you the best in landing a new career in the position you want. Nothing but the best.

  33. #33mg23612019-06-02 06:23

    Wishing you the best Dave . All will work out in your favor, that I am sure .

  34. #34thepumpguysc2019-06-02 07:04

    Same thing happened to me once Dave.. I got the company caught-up on their back-orders & they laid 90% of the workers off.!! I felt terrible.. but now I knew how they operated so I jumped ship.. Good luck.. take some time & relax before starting something NEW & EXCITING..

  35. #35DMiller2019-06-02 07:15

    Yes, best of Luck Dave, any who have skills are hard found and many employers are working to gain while KEEP them, you will find another niche.

  36. #36Tarhe Driver2019-06-03 10:19

    Hey, TVA, send those folks down to Savannah, Georgia.... It's a beautiful small city with a HUGE port (we're the 2nd largest container port east of the Rockies). We make airplanes (Gulfstream bizjets), and are very military friendly, even having a military base at the city's waist, Hunter Army Air Field, which has about 7,500 troops and an 11,000 foot runway. Savannah is also home to the Savannah College of Art & Design (SCAD) with over 10,000 students in various fields of study, including architecture. Savannah is a hugely inclusive town, with convenient hunting and fishing opportunities.