New to the heavy equipment world. Recently was blessed enough to sell a previous business and looking to start up a new one specializing in dirt work and brush clearing. Would appreciate any advice as I’m looking to purchase equipment but don’t have much experience with heavy equipment. I have a great connection at the local case dealer so leaning hard towards a TR310 or TR340 with high flow mulcher. Other options I’ve considered are bobcat and cat. The Dozer is where I’m needing some real advice. Looking for a 92-105hp. Got a good line on a 2013 Deere 550k with low hours.
Sir, I am a mere lurker here, but with about four years lurking, I realize the answers to your question are somewhat like a bright new colkege graduate telling an established veterinarian of 30 years experience, "Yesterday I decided to be a veterinarian, and will open my practice tomorrow. In 5 minutes, tell me what I need to know." Just as a, I retired cargo helicopter pilot, couldn't even tell you how to start a Flying Crane in less than, probably, a day.
Have you run machines before? Done any work as a contractor? Done any work as a machine operator FOR a contractor? Done any mechanical work on machines as these, maintenance or repairs? Do you have a truck trailer and the license to drive them to haul them? Saying NO to any of these you may be headed for problems.
I should have been a little more specific. I am most likely going to be purchasing some equipment to maintain and work on some land/ranch I just bought and seeing as I'm going to have the equipment, I've been thinking about starting up a dirt work business. I've had a couple friends with land who have had dirt work done over the last 12 months and know what they paid. None of it was really difficult work that required a expert operator (simple brush & tree clearing and leveling). Given that it just raised the thought of possibly using the equipment as an additional source of income or means to pay help cover some of the expense of the equipment I'm buying for my personal use. This would not be my main source of income but instead a side job/hobby type of deal. I've always enjoyed running CTLs, but honestly couldn't tell you the first thing about running a dozer. I certainly understand that experience is everything in operating machinery efficiently and safely. The extent of the dirt work I'm thinking of doing is just clearing land and brush. I believe majority of the work that I can get around here would be the brush clearing using the CLT w/ mulcher attachment. I am just interested in learning more about equipment and the industry. Not trying to offend anybody just eager to learn something new and also hear other's opinions.
I've ran CTLs, backhoes, and dump trucks. Never done any work as a contractor or work for a contractor. Never done any mechanical work on heavy equipment machines. The truck and trailer are some of the equipment I'm looking at purchasing. Currently working on getting my CDL.
Well that will be a start. Buy slightly bigger than expect to need, NOT HUGE just bigger. If looking at a ton truck go for a two ton, AIR brakes, diesel. If only moving a series dozer as a D4 oval track or a 550 Deere, get a fifteen ton pintle tag along. WHATEVER you buy, get service manuals, wiring diagrams, hydraulics diagrams, and a PRESSURE WASHER to keep them clean, Job is NOT done until those machines are ready to work again. Self taught or asking guys that will know and pointing at the manual in the right section for assistance will get some aid. LEARN routine maintenance, READ the service maintenance manuals, grease and keep fluids up to date not just a 'as get to it' and could work out. Start expense reports NOW, ALL costs, license, insurance, miles driven for machine check outs, find one you feel worthy PAY a full time mechanic to inspect it. Price the same sized machine from others for work done, find out THEIR rates, do not cut yourself short just to move dirt, take on some of the nastier jobs the others won't and build a pedigree, should do alright.
I know nothing about mulching attachments for ctl's but I will take a shot in the dark and say go with the bigger machine of the ones you are considering. I have rarely (if ever) heard anyone say that they wish they would have bought a smaller skid loader or ctl. I'd say get set up with a ctl and mulcher and get connected with a local heavy equipment dealer that you could rent a dozer from if/when you need one. Of the top of my head, I can't think of anything that a 100 HP dozer can do that a big ctl can't do. Oh I take that back, I don't think you would want to tighten up a burning tree pile with a ctl with rubber tracks. LOL. Just my $.02
my 2 cents I run a CTL and push brush in to a burning pile and have spread out hot piles with mine with out a problem, you just don't want to sit in the ashes ,I don't stop and then when I done I clean the tracks frames out
If you don't know what you are looking at, find someone to hire that does and can do a systematic inspection. What does your connection at the Case dealer do? Sell iron or work on it? Are they partial to Case because they work at the dealer or are they open to anything? Can they provide the kind of information about an interesting machine that would help you make the right decision? Most owners know little about what they own. Many employ people that do know what they have and how to keep it running.
Very much appreciate the input and advice. Thank you
I guess my only input would be to make sure you understand what insurance is needed to cover liability, especially if you plan to have any employees in this side business. I've owned a lot of "toys" for personal use for the last 15+ years. All of it is quite old and there are lots of repairs, almost every time I go to use a piece of my equipment I see something that needs to be fixed.. However, my equipment is old enough to not include any computer controlled equipment. I hear that's when repairs get crazy expensive...
Any input on the Deere 550K dozer? Is it going to be big enough and capable of clearing land of small and medium sized trees?
My advise would be to secure the job first, then find the machine to complete the task. Consider if the project is a one-time affair or if it is going to be your main-stay. You might want to lease or rent until you get your feet firmly on the ground.
Rentals are easy enough to try out. A 750 would be a better choice, then again a D6 high track not a bad one either. One note as to trees, any dozer or loader will not necessarily just walk up and push them down. Some will require digging into the root mass(Diameter of lowest limbs) to get release from that toe hold. More weight equals more work, more work is job done sooner. A medium sized tree 12-16" Elm Hickory or Locust will try your patience considerably before they push out. The Cedar I pushed out with a similar sized but loader tractor took me considerable digging and basically climbing on to get pushed out. 23,000 lbs. Allis HD7G Smaller junk oak next to it took a little less.
I use part of the stub of the cedar as a Yardamentation piece. The yellow spot is a standard try square and the stub is from the TOP of the scuff in the last photos.
There is a lot to be said for living in this FL sand. My MTL will get those out of the ground. I can rock big trees back and forth a couple of times, then lift the root ball straight up.
Hmmm... interesting endeavor. Excavating and clearing contractors generally charge a rate that reflects the loaded cost of operation. Anybody can go purchase a machine and declare themselves a contractor. Do you have a potential customer base worked up? You need to go make a little study of the people doing this around you. What kind of iron are they running? If the are all using D7's with swing rakes there is a reason. How much is your insurance going to be? What is your inhouse hourly rate going to be on this gear going to be based on a 20 day month 10 months a year? Are you going to work this truck in a for hire application? You make want to glance at the USDOT common carrier requirements. The learning curve in this business can be steep, expensive and painful. Go down to Sunbelt or United step up to the plate and rent the iron for a job or 2, don't forget the insurance and the locates. See if that works out for you. The comparative financial risk is low. Having little and or no experience you need a little school house that you are going to try develop on the fly. I would be in a little less of hurry to get payment books unless you are independently wealthy. If you are independently wealthy, go buy what ever tools you think you need for your property and avoid the liability of working for others.
Before you buy a commercial truck and trailer get insurance quotes. Commercial auto is outrageous at the moment! I have 4 pickups, one IH 4700 service truck and some trailers - $15,000 a year!
Not only talk to your insurance man about the truck and trailer but go talk to the local motor carrier / commercial enforcement office / officer. Just a friendly discussion about the regulations and what they will look be looking for.
JD makes a nice machine. I have had a couple over the last 12 years. I first had a 650H, good machine very handy. Now I have a 700J with a ripper on the back. I really like the 700. The 650 was better for in town and on small lots. But the 700J will do a lot more than the 650. I do mostly demo and trees with a few site prep jobs. I would think the 550 is a little to small for what you are thinking of doing. Best of luck with your new business.
Hold on, new guy. Welcome to the HEF. This thread is from 2019. Hopefully, Palm Industries lived happily ever after with his start up dirt company. Head over to the new member forum and let’s chat. Everyone else has to work tomorrow and has gone to bed.