Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Weird engine shutdown on case 450 skid steer

rickTucson · 2017-11-13 12:54

My 450 has been running fine but then yesterday morning I start it up and it runs fine, but as soon as I push the parking button the engine shuts down. This now happens every time I try. I even let the engine idle a bit before pushing the parking release button and yet it shuts the engine down immediately. What the heck? I am at a loss to understand what is going on. Any ideas?

Replies7
  1. #1rickTucson2017-11-13 15:03

    Re: weird engine shutdown on case 450 skid steer Posted: 11-13-2017 05:02 PM OK, now I feel really dumb. I tried starting the machine again this morning and now it won't even try to start. After turning the key to run the glow plug, after a few seconds, I now have three panel lights come on. Turning the key to start position does nothing. I don't have any leaks that I am aware of as I typically park the machine where I can observe the floor underneath and have not seen any puddles. On the off chance that there might be some low fluid levels and that is preventing the machine from attempting to start I see the Hydraulic fluid sight-glass is not registering any hyd. fluid, what the h*ll? I have no idea how this could happen as it has never used any hyd fluid in the past and I don't detect any leaks. Anyway, I fill it up with about 2 gal of hyd fluid and try to start it again. Same thing no difference. Still the same three panel lights lighting up and no starter motor. I check the battery and it is fine. very frustrating

  2. #2seville0092017-11-13 17:25

    I don’t know anything about them, but here’s a similar thread that hopefully will help you HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3JS3002017-11-13 17:38

    I think the control panel was bad about going out on some of these machines. Is it a series 1 or series 3? Cab or open station?

  4. #4rickTucson2017-11-13 22:34

    Update on the repair: The low hyd. oil was not the issue. I had checked all of the fuses by pulling them out and visually inspecting and then double checking with a multimeter for conductivity before replacing. I did notice a fair bit of corrosion on the fuse leads but did not replace with new ones. The fuse holder had a similar appearance of crustyness/corrosion but not too bad. I ended up giving up and calling the local Case dealer to send a mechanic out. He did some tests and narrowed it down to an electrical issue after observing funky behavior with the console lights. Sure enough, it was the corrosion on the fuse for the control panel a it was only getting ~1v and intermittent. Cleaning the fuse holder contacts and a new fuse did the trick. That cost a lot of money for a simple repair:-( I guess I should be happy that that is all it was.

  5. #5rickTucson2017-11-13 22:38

    While the mechanic was there I asked him to look the machine over and also check why it had a little bit of creep on mostly the left side. He said it was usually due to the engine mounts wearing and this causes the linkages to the joystick controls to be out of alignment. We lifted the cab to have a look but the mounts did not look too bad. He looked over the rest of the compartment and wasn't quite sure the cause/issue and recommended bringing it into the shop if I wanted to repair the creep and/or get new mounts installed. Debating if I can live with the creep or not or try and research more online and maybe adjust/repair myself. If I had the service manual I definitely would try and do it myself.

  6. #6rickTucson2017-11-13 22:39

    Also, thanks for the replies and help.

  7. #7GaryHoff2017-11-15 22:38

    Machine creep is usually resolved by centering the pumps. As long as your linkages are not bent, or worn out, then proceed to adjust the pumps. Quick check is just to disconnect the linkages from the pumps, and see if the machine still creeps. Creeping wheels is usually from the pump servo springs loose strength over time, especially since the normal direction of travel is forwards, the forwards springs wear out. Since you have mechanical controls, you should have the M46 sauer danfoss pump. See link for pump manual. http://files.danfoss.com/documents/L1001029.pdf See page 35 1. Jack the machine up, so all the wheels are off the ground. 2. Disconnect the linkages from the pumps. 3. Center the linkage plates (there is aligning marks on the plate and the pump) The marks should line up, unless someone moved them. 4. Bypass the safety switches (cab switch, lap bar, and seat switch), and release the park brake 5. Loosen the jam nut on the servo neutral adjusting screw for the left pump. Adjust the screw in or out slightly until the wheels stop creeping. Then adjust the screw in until the wheels just start to creep. Mark that position. Then turn the screw out until the wheels just start to creep the other direction. Mark this position too. Set the screw in between your two marks, and tighten jam nut. 6. Repeat for the other side, and re-assemble everything.