Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Weird Ticking and Hissing Noises From John Deere 490e Excavator

joelx777 · 2022-07-30 14:06

I would appreciate it if anyone could watch this videos and let me know what you think might be causing these weird noises. I just finished changing all the filters and the engine oil and cleaning out the diesel tank and getting the fuel distribution pump refurbished. The noise is coming from a different portion though, over by where the exhaust comes out. Weird noise by the exhaust https://photos.app.goo.gl/C4tNnyJubiTTfCFLA Hissing noise by the hydraulic pump https://photos.app.goo.gl/9xoghLp2Ba1BFBAV7 Weird noise looking down at the engine https://photos.app.goo.gl/7agXLXXvtvu7tGer9 Another look at the weird ticking noise https://photos.app.goo.gl/trAJDvvnNQnPXveG8 All of the videos are around 10 seconds or so in length. I would greatly appreciate any opinions or guesses!

Replies9
  1. #1joelx7772022-07-30 14:39

    I am wondering if I found the problem: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vCns2jw1XThUFF2E7 It appears I may not have tightened this radiator hose enough.

  2. #2joelx7772022-07-30 15:04

    Actually... If you look at my original engines video, you can hear the ticking but also can see that hose has not yet started leaking. The engine was showing a high but normal operating temperature. Could it be overheating?

  3. #3John C.2022-07-30 16:23

    The last video I thought I could hear an exhaust leak on the muffler. All the others sounded normal to me. The coolant leak could be the clamp or possibly exhaust getting into the coolant system. Tighten the clamp and try it again.

  4. #4joelx7772022-07-30 18:07

    Thank you! I will tighten up the clamp and try again. I am worried about the exhaust leak on the muffler possibility....

  5. #5John C.2022-07-30 21:38

    Look for black fuel soot under the muffler. If it is clean, then I’m likely just hearing a harmonic noise.

  6. #6joelx7772022-07-31 09:33

    When I went out this morning, I discovered the fan belt I just put on that I bought from an aftermarket supplier (shopgreenparts or something like that) was completely shredded to pieces: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oMJobbAUE6au2d716 I guess I will order a new one from John Deere / Pape... Did I buy a crappy fan belt or did the misalignment of the pulleys cause the problem?

  7. #7John C.2022-07-31 12:52

    Ticking might have been pieces of belt hitting things? In my experience, new belts that get shredded like that usually got installed on the pulleys in the wrong order or direction. I'm guessing the galvanized pipe fittings are connections for the heater hoses?

  8. #8joelx7772022-07-31 13:40

    These straps are for holding the radiator on I thought I had installed the belt in the way that matches the diagram in the manual, but maybe not.

  9. #9John C.2022-07-31 13:55

    The serpentine belts can be confusing. I've been confused many times so I try to take a photo now days with the cell phone before removing them. Plenty of times I've still ended up scratching my head.