Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Weld procedure for Champion Circle Arms

Blue-Fox · 2026-01-07 11:10

Looking to see if any of you Gurus know if there’s any special material here and weld procedure before I go to welding this up oilfield style. Thanks!!

Replies2
  1. #1Simon C2026-01-07 13:09

    I could say to do this or do that, but that will be difficult to weld and not break again. Have to see some cleaned off pictures for better suggestions. Pictures of back side of bolt hole area would help with all snow and dirt gone. Think it could be fixed properly with some plan. If pipe section was arc-aired of the broken piece and onto some new piece with hole for bolt. Simon C

  2. #2Welder Dave2026-01-08 05:13

    Was it pretty cold when it broke? From what I can see it was a clean break. I doubt it's any kind of special steel but you could use a rod like 8018 (C3) with 1% nickel to give it some added toughness. Not the easiest repair though. Need to bevel both pieces for full penetration. If that's a bushing the bolt goes through makes it easier because the bushing can just be weld back on both sides. If you have enough room you can put some reinforcing plates over the repaired break. Even 3/16" would add considerable strength. 1/4" would be better. You might even be able to put a strap of flat bar around the outside of the curve. A little preheat before welding would be good.