Yesterday, I had my Gentec HT1440 Thumb welded on. Gentec said not to weld across the top of the plate and not on any corner. The corners were knotched at 45 degrees for about an inch. So, what can I put at the top of the plate on the stick to keep moisture out? They told me to weld the 3 inches at the bottom of the plate across the stick. So the four 45 degree corners are not welded, along with the top of the plate. hugs, Brandi
I've had really good results with Polyurethane body sealer. As long as the surfaces are clean, it sticks really well and you can paint over it. Neutral cure silicone would also suffice, but doesn't like paint and is far less durable than the Polyurethane sealants.
Thanks Karl. I realized after I posted that I have access to some good edge sealer. I'm gonna use that. hugs, Brandi
I would seal the top but leave the bottom angled corners open so any moisture that will get in can escape.
If you want a really good 2 part sealer 3M 8115 panel bonding adhesive would be my recommendation. It's about $40 a tube but very strong, heat resistant, moisture repellant, and chemical resistant. The gun is the expensive part but if you know a body shop guy he might loan you one.
Old Iron, Good idea! hugs, Brandi
Looks like one could just squeeze out equals portions of it. Nothing fancy in that. We do that all the time at work with two part epoxy. hugs, Brandi