Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Welding

Madman ยท 2007-01-27 19:40

What are some of the more common types of welding jobs that need to be done on loaders, excavators, dozers etc... I've done some welding on a loader bucket, welded tow hooks on a bucket and welded a broken tie rod but that's about it so far with heavy equipment.

Replies17
  1. #1Steve Frazier2007-01-27 20:20

    Probably the most common job is hardfacing of cutting edges. After that, you can run into anything that's broken.

  2. #2Lashlander2007-01-27 20:25

    Replace tooth shanks Replace cutting edges Hardfacing Re line dozer blades and buckets Weld broken ripper shanks Cracks in rippers and dozer blades Car bodies on excavators Cracks in booms

  3. #3Squizzy246B2007-01-27 20:28

    There is always handrails, grabrails and fenders to be repaired. Toolboxes to be fitted, laser attachment fittings.

  4. #4wrenchbender2007-01-28 08:27

    And don't forget them ole hyd. tanks leaking at the new found seam.You know where the operator was stuck and the assitant let the bucket slip.And sometimes it's just to repair where someone else tried to weld .As in who flung pooo.

  5. #5wrenchbender2007-01-28 11:28

    This is a little better now:thumbsup

  6. #6thejdman042007-01-28 13:15

    A Lot of people shoulnt pick up a welder. I know some guys that would be better using super glue to try to put bucket teeth back on. Maybe jb weld. But seriously youll get tire blow outs and have to weld aluminum fenders back on.

  7. #7Ford LT-90002007-01-28 16:23

    I have had welding jobs to do on a garbage truck boy the smell sure made trying to hold lunch down really hard. Then I have welded on a garbage packer bucket the smell of burning garbage juice yum. I leave the welding jobs to my brother he can have them who needs to go blind and get burns :bouncegri When your doing bucket repairs etc you need a good steady hand with the torch to wash away welds or use a air arc to cut the welds off. Fire is another thing you really have to be carefull about it doesn't take much to get some grease burning. Talking to a welder that works in the oil fields of Alberta working on those mining shovels. He says working in the carbodies of the machine is a nasty hole to be in. You have to room to move around there is lots of oil and grease to catch fire. The most common repair job on the West Coast is reparing and rebuilding buckets. Guys tearing buckets apart being tough rough digging rock they end up tearing the quick connect lugging off the excavator buckets or snapping teeth shanks off. Boom cracks are common repairs especially if its seen breaker service that rattles everything loose.

  8. #8wrenchbender2007-01-28 16:50

    A short while ago I maintained a fleet of packers always welding'em back togather. We call that oooze bean juice cause when it's cooking well the smell ain't good:spaz Always used a copuple of big shop fans to blow the crapy smell away. Pressure washing helps but ya can't get at all the hiding places besides I think it some how soaks in the metal.

  9. #9wrenchbender2007-01-28 16:53

    Yes I agree 100% .

  10. #10Ford LT-90002007-01-28 17:25

    The guy powerwashed the the inside of the packer but it still didn't keep the stink away. The job was supposed to be done by my dad but he couldn't take the smell he barfed a few times. My brother is the same he has a weak stomach hell if somebody farts my brother is gagging So I was the one stuck with the job and when your laying down the bead you can see the moisture (garbage juice) bubbling and boiling. Then of course the steel in the packer box is thin as paper so your being super carefull not to punch a hole I was using 1/8 7018 to weld the patches in. When I'am welding I can tell if somebody is smoking a ciggarette behind me. We used to play tricks on the welders that worked for us especially the one guy he was a good welder and used to get excited easy the smell of burning pee is :laugh When your a welder you can get into some bad places to weld one of the old guys I learned from used to weld on the pipelines he said he used to be lowered into pipes with a rope tied to a mechanics creeper. I he said the farthest was 1/2 a mile You didn't have much room to work but it was the only way of welding inside the pipes. They used to cut a small hole into the area where he was working to get power and the stinger into the pipe. Those were the days when a welder wasn't making the big dollars nowwadays and the days where welding rods have better flux as they do now.

  11. #11murray832007-01-28 19:43

    I have my welding ticket but I forgot to renew it my welding work was on buckets and rippers mostly. But I had one sweet job were I had to do some welding on the underside of a 235 at the dump while we were putting the cap on it,nothing like doing an overhead weld laying on your back on cardboard at the landfill :crying

  12. #12Ford LT-90002007-01-28 19:50

    Doesn't a landfill smell like roses :lmao At the landfill I worked at the cat had a open cab so you had things squirting on you if the tracks run over a jug full of some kind of liquid just to compound the stomach curdling smell.

  13. #13murray832007-01-28 20:16

    I don't know its a tie....between the smell on those warm summer days or the wet days we were roughing in the clay liner I loved cleaning my tracks on the 330 in the pouring rain shoveling out the wet sticky clay with the stench of rotting garbage and sea chickens flying overhead :bouncegri what I do for a paycheck :yup

  14. #14Ford LT-90002007-01-28 20:31

    When I was running cat the worst thing was standing in the garbage trying to pull a damn bed matress out of the tracks. Those damn springs in the matresses get hooked on the tracks and its a biatch to get off. You can't keep running with it hooked to the tracks or you have one heck of a mess. Everybody asked me how can you stand the smell I said after awhile you don't notice it anymore. When you get back into the pickup you just have to make sure you don't have a dirty baby diaper stuck to your boot :laugh I asked a honey wagon driver how can you stand the smell he said this is nothing he said rotting garbage smells worse. He used to drive garbage truck and he was right. Anyhow if your a welder you have to weld on equipment stuff that works in a landfill is one of them :yup

  15. #15wrenchbender2007-01-28 20:32

    Silver Lining But are getting a check see there's always an upside:thumbsup

  16. #16Countryboy2007-01-28 20:52

    Don't forget, if you are a welder then you are also a cutter. You gotta cut out frozen pins, cut or grind off old welds, cut out old liners to put in new ones and all the other stuff that makes that torch pay for itself. Then you get to weld all the stuff listed above. I'll grab a stinger thats cranked to the max before I'll get into a trash truck. :spaz

  17. #17wrenchbender2007-01-28 21:16

    Iv'e don'em both but I so does love dat welden better!