Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Welding a Rear Brake Backing Plate

mbavers · 2024-01-22 15:51

Chevy k3500 (actually a military M1008 CUCV 1 1/4 ton pickup). Backing plate bolts came loose, plate eventually twisted the flange that it bolts to and distorted the bolt holes. I bought a used backing plate in good condition. What I plan to do: Heat and straighten flange as well as I can. Test straightness by installing backing plate and drum and testing by measuring drum-plate clearance all around. When I am convinced of evenness, tack weld new backing plate to flange gradually all around to avoid over heating and distorting plate. Test again. If still true, continue welding. I do not have the equipment or wherewithal to replace the flange, so this will have to do. Truck is only used for plowing a private road and max speed is about 10mph, so superior braking is not an issue. Opinions and advice welcome, but please don't tell me to replace the flange.

Replies4
  1. #1Truck Shop2024-01-22 16:43

    What else can you do without adding a bunch of cost, as long as it's straight and welding doesn't distort housing/bearing do it. It's not like your going to compete in Daytona or Rockingham.

  2. #2Junkyard2024-01-22 16:56

    I don’t see anything wrong with that. I’ve heard of and seen a lot worse. Being a full floating axle you won’t have to worry about hurting bearings. If you weld with hub/drum off be sure to cover spindle, don’t need any dingleberries on there.

  3. #3Truck Shop2024-01-22 17:03
  4. #4Junkyard2024-01-22 17:55

    I’ve got an M1031 myself. Took the service bed off and put a flatbed on it. I got it with around 24k miles. It’ll go anywhere you want just not very fast. It’s on my to do list for a trans rebuild and torque converter. Oklahoma Forestry Service had it after the Army, last hurrah before me was a local VFD.